• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

This is so stupid. Eagles beat pats, bills, jets, and had a big lead against fins before Bradford got hurt.

Wut? He got hurt late in the third and it was 16-13 at the half....and we gifted you two points. After the first two scores bradford did nothing for two quarters. I think you need to rewatch the game friend.

60 and 80 gig ps3 not even upgrading the hdd in 2016

It had a 500 gb drive,

Beach

So not that this game was necessary to prove the point but Fitz > Megatron as far as the receiver of this generation goes right?

4 hours later...

daVRcrBWYUfjRlR-556x313-noPad.jpg

Alright I'll give you the lowdown.

Rando14 is our residential Hawks Doctor.
Cdyhybird is our president.
I'm the quote on quote "thug" but the nice thug!
MechDX is our Texan brother!
Line_HTX is the devil stay away from him.
FrenchMovieTheme is a 49ers fan that we feel sorry for.
Alligatorjandro is our enemy.
Bread is the devil.
Jakncoke is the neighborhood drunk.
Greg is our Packers brother.
Himynameischris is our booty expert.
Kastrioti has mental problems so don't take offense to things he says.
distantmantra, wolf are our Hawks-Bro who don't post much
RBH is the Atlanta Falcons doctor but he likes burning his crotch.
bionic77 is a Steelers fan but we don't hate him because he's old, and his wife takes all his lawyer money.
Tabris is the plague avoid him.
Godslay, and Hunter are decent Broncos fan. We will cheer for them when they beat the Pats next week.

Oh and then there's a bunch of Eagles/Packers guy but who cares about them especially wienke.

Yea I never understood why a team doesnt get the chance to answer a touchdown on overtime. What if the team's strength is its offense? Too much power given to a coin toss.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just caught the highlights - what a game I've missed! Two hail marys in a row and you don't win in the end? Unlucky.

Bread is the devil.
bionic77 is a Steelers fan but we don't hate him because he's old, and his wife takes all his lawyer money.
Godslay, and Hunter are decent Broncos fan. We will cheer for them when they beat the Pats next week.

Oh and then there's a bunch of Eagles/Packers guy but who cares about them especially wienke.

Fuck you asshole

Woke up and watched it on Gamepass, holy shit I love Larry Fitzgerald so much. What a guy. Found myself giggling like a schoolgirl at that Floyd TD too, what a fucking game.

Yea I never understood why a team doesnt get the chance to answer a touchdown on overtime. What if the team's strength is its offense? Too much power given to a coin toss.

Then the offense should have scored more points in the preceding 60 minutes.

So not that this game was necessary to prove the point but Fitz > Megatron as far as the receiver of this generation goes right?

Yup, he's the only guy in the league who might be able to drag lardarse Stafford to a playoff win in his career.

EDIT: I see people shitting on the Cards DBs for the Hail Mary at the end of regulation but it's on the guy rushing off the right edge, Calais Campbell I think?

The defence sent five or six rushers at the QB, the only way Rodgers could hurt them was by running out of the pocket so the most important thing was to keep contain. Rodgers dropped back 12-15 yards, Campbell got sucked inside at like 8-10 yards and made it easy for Rodgers to roll out and buy time.

That kind of stupidity drives me fucking crazy and shows that coaches tend to put the dumbest athletes at defensive end. Literally had one job and he fucked that up.

I still can't believe Andy Ried's shitty play calling and bad clock management at the end of both halves. Isn't he one of the most veteran coaches in the NFL?

OuterLimits

Carson had a pretty shit game, bud damn if he didn't redeem himself on the first play in OT. I know many are focusing on Fitz, which he obviously deserves. but Carson somehow avoiding the blitz and even doing a spin move was pretty damn impressive. The good thing about Palmer is that even in bad games he never seems to lose confidence and will keep taking risks.

Also I wonder if his finger is still giving him issues. He hasn't been the same since that happened. Although last night seemed to be more about making shitty decisions.

So it's currently snowing in Charlotte...

NFL PLAYOFF SNOWBALL!

too bad very little chance it keeps snowing through kickoff and 0% chance that any of this sticks

it didn't flip

personally I would have gone for 2 but then again i'm an idiot.
I factor in SHOOK as a factor these days, you have a Cardinals defense that just had 2 hail marys thrown against them and that was after you blitzed x had them start from the 10/5 yard line

Fitz god doesn't play defense so he can't stop the 2 point conversion ;p

rando14

Man I wanted to meet Carolina in the playoffs so bad, and now we meeting them basically while playing with house money!!

Excite

Bread is the devil.

I don't get a shoutout.. Okay Western.. I see how it is. Hurts me a little..

So to people crying about the nfl ot rules and how it should be more like college... What exactly are you proposing?

Lets say hypothetically after that Cards td they kick off and GB now drives and scores a matching TD then what? Do you want the game to now be sudden death where a fg can win? Or do you want BOTH teams to get another shot with the ball? I don't want to be here all night long watching teams drive 80 yards to keep matching scores. If your special teams and defense can't get your offense the ball and can't hold the other team from getting a td in a sudden death esque situation you deserve to lose.

linkboy

So to people crying about the nfl ot rules and how it should be more like college... What exactly are you proposing?

Lets say hypothetically after that Cards td they kick off and GB now drives and scores a matching TD then what? Do you want the game to now be sudden death where a fg can win? Or do you want BOTH teams to get another shot with the ball? I don't want to be here all night long watching teams drive 80 yards to keep matching scores. If your special teams and defense can't get your offense the ball and can't hold the other team from getting a td in a sudden death esque situation you deserve to lose.

Exactly, and what if Arizona kicks a FG and GB scores a TD, should Arizona get a chance to answer the TD? Where do you draw the line?

NFL OT rules are designed to do one thing, end the game as quickly as possible. If the NFL could get rid of OT, they would. The last thing they want are tie games and games dragging on.

BigAT

You're saying offense in the NFL is so prolific that teams could consistently exchange 80-yard touchdown drives, but also one team and one team alone should have to stop such a drive or they deserve to lose.

What the NFL should do is abolish OT entirely.

Allow ties in the regular season, which will give us even more opportunities to call coaches cowardly as they decide to kick the PAT/FG instead of going for two/TD at the end of games.

In the playoffs, a tied game goes to a shootout where both kickers take kicks starting from the 10 yard line and if both kicks are successful then the ball is moved back five yards. Keep going further and further back until a kick is missed or blocked.

This works on three levels:

• The tension would be unbearable and it makes for great TV
  • Everyone loves to shit on kickers
  • It would piss off pretty much every journalist, football pundit, ex-player and football fan in the world, which would be hilarious

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
From ESPN today:

McCarty's Mistake

The irony, of course, is that they're advancing at the expense of the Packers and coach Mike McCarthy, who leaves the postseason in the wake of another game management blunder. Last year, it was McCarthy's hyper-conservative decision-making early in the game which cost the Packers critical points they would need later in the contest.

This year, it was not going for two after the Hail Mary. Kickers hit 94.2 percent of their extra points this year; that figure rose to 97.6 percent indoors, and Crosby was 36-for-36 this year, so let's just be kind and say that Crosby's going to tie the game 98 percent of the time. (Vikings fans will tell you that no kick is automatic.) So 2 percent of the time, the Packers lose without ever getting to overtime.

If the Packers do go to overtime, they're going to be underdogs. The Cardinals were seven-point favorites heading into the contest; after taking out the vig, the implied odds from the Vegas money line suggested that the Packers had a 26 percent chance of winning the game. Green Bay had certainly played better than they had during Arizona's regular-season blowout in the previous matchup, but they had lost Randall Cobb and needed two Hail Mary completions to tie the game.

It's almost always better for the underdog to try to turn the game into a shorter contest. Taken to an extreme, if you're playing Steph Curry one-on-one and you start with the ball, it's better to play to one than 11, because you might fire off a jumper and get lucky, but you're not going to hit 11 shots over Steph without giving him the ball.

Even an aggressive estimate would suggest that the Packers had, say, a 40 percent chance of winning the game if it went into overtime. Factor in the aforementioned possibility of a missed Crosby extra point and you're down to a 39 percent shot if you kick the extra point. The chances of the Packers converting their two-pointer are almost definitely better than 39 percent. The league has converted 48.1 percent of its attempts over the past three years, with the Packers going 5-for-9. Give the Cardinals credit for a tough defense and take into consideration that the Packers don't have a great running game. You're still going to find it difficult to come up with a scenario in which the chances of winning the game heading into overtime are better than converting a two-pointer.

And if you really want, pretend for a moment that the percentages are tied. There's also the small matter of the M-word. If you believe that momentum is a meaningful concept in terms of how teams win and lose football games -- and I am admittedly skeptical -- why would you ever let the game slip into overtime? Having knocked the Cardinals onto the ropes with one of the more stunning sequences in playoff history and with a minute to figure out which play you wanted to run while referees reviewed the touchdown, why wouldn't McCarthy think that his chances of winning the game were better with one immediate play?

All things weren't equal, and that included Arizona's coaching advantage. McCarthy played it safe yet again, and it ended up costing his team another postseason in the prime of the 32-year-old Rodgers' career. He coached to put off losing as long as possible. Arians coached to win, and while it raised some eyebrows and nearly cost his team the victory, he made far more defensible decisions than his counterpart.

McCarthy's choice was safer and attracted far less attention, but that doesn't make his decision the correct one. Instead of going by the book, McCarthy could take a page out of Arians'. A lot of coaches should.

squicken

In the regular season, I'd give each team the ball at the 50, going the same direction. Can kick a FG, go for 2, whatever. Whoever has the most points wins, and if it is a tie, then it is a tie

Post-season same thing but, if tied after the first round, have to go for 2

squicken

What the NFL should do is abolish OT entirely.

Allow ties in the regular season]

God I wish they would do this, but I have completely given up on people not whining about it. Sportswriters typed up a column in HS called "A Tie is Like Kissing Your Sister" and would trot it out every year the local team played a tie game

I've never had a problem with the idea. If two teams play 60 minutes of football, then it sure seems like the most fair thing to do is call it a tie, if the score is still even. And it absolutely increases the tension on late game strategy. Best hope we have of it happening is for Emperor Trump to issue a decree in a couple of years

God I wish they would do this, but I have completely given up on people not whining about it. Sportswriters typed up a column in HS called "A Tie is Like Kissing Your Sister" and would trot it out every year the local team played a tie game

I've never had a problem with the idea. If two teams play 60 minutes of football, then it sure seems like the most fair thing to do is call it a tie, if the score is still even. And it absolutely increases the tension on late game strategy. Best hope we have of it happening is for Emperor Trump to issue a decree in a couple of years

I feel like 90% of the time coaches would just take the tie during the regular season. I think it would make it less exciting.

I feel like 90% of the time coaches would just take the tie during the regular season. I think it would make it less exciting.

Imagine the final few weeks of a season and a team a game or two out of the playoff spots has to go for two points or the TD in the final minutes of every game, it would be great.

Top Bottom