• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

TheFatOne

You know what the Packers could use. A third down back like Kevin Faulk, Woodhead, or Vereen. Lacy is a good back, but I think having a guy who you can use as a weapon in the passing game would do wonders for Rodgers. It's another guy they can match up especially when they go five wide.

You know what the Packers could use. A third down back like Kevin Faulk, Woodhead, or Vereen. Lacy is a good back, but I think having a guy who you can use as a weapon in the passing game would do wonders for Rodgers. It's another guy they can match up especially when they go five wide.

every QB could use that, but they aren't as easy to find as saying "hey i think we'll pick up a danny woodhead this year". for every danny woodhead, there are tons of lemichael james'/etc

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so aside from cherry picking stats, then well for the sake of argument, wouldn't this also extend to Aaron Rodger's chances in overtime...? A QB who is arguably more successful in OT than NYJ and Fitzpatrick ... ?

I get it and sympathize with you but, no, you're statistically wrong about going for 2 versus going to overtime, and no, McCarthy should not be fired for it. But I still sympathize with the point of view.

Think about this then. Stick with your 48% number even if I think its low for aaron rodgers and how the Packers have done this year.

What are the odds that a 5 seed beats a 2 seed on the road? I bet it's less than 48%.

Kind of have that with Cobb and Montgomery (both were hurt), small quick WRs that can line up in the backfield.

But yeah, I agree. Definitely a dimension that would help.

rjinaz

So I guess Rodgers is upset because he didn't get to make the call for the second flip. He may actually have a point. Who knows if he actually would have changed his mind though.

Spinluck

Are people really arguing that they should've went for two after the 2pt conversion? Lmao. Please just stop, maybe for a regular season game, it'd take some gigantic balls to do that in the post season. But of course if you convert, you're the hero.

After that miracle, just thank whatever fucking force out there that you even got that and go into OT.

If you don't stop them in overtime, then you don't deserve to win. Plain and simple, Fitz was thinking nothing but end zone that entire drive. I'm so happy for the dude, would've sucked if Palmer choked on his team and robbed them of any chance.

Think about this then. Stick with your 48% number even if I think its low for aaron rodgers and how the Packers have done this year.

What are the odds that a 5 seed beats a 2 seed on the road? I bet it's less than 48%.

Well if we're sticking to this year (as you wanted to do 2 posts ago), 100% of road teams won their playoff games last weekend.

So, it looks like 100%.

:D

Just trolling.

I agree with you -- go for 2, on the road ESPECIALLY Given the scenario where Green bay was mostly outplayed all game and had to rely on extreme fortune to even have a chance. But it's not like going for 2 was some sure thing, while going into overtime was a forelorne loss. All I'm saying is McCarthy doesn't deserve to be fired for playing the most likely scenario for his team to win. Unless you think Mike PEttine would be a better coach than McCarthy. Or maybe Jim Tomsula.

mr2xxx

Banned
this year. and you are not factoring in a aaron freaking rogers who is 4/6. Better QBs are better at 2 point conversions. Pitt 8/11. GB 4/6. Tenn 3/5. So what if history states 50/50. History is also filled with a lot of terrible QBs and countless teams that never practiced going for two on a regular occasion.

I'm not talking about the NYJ and Fitzpatrick.

Only way you go for the two is if your D is New Orleans esque and your offense is playing lights out, neither was the case.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Are people seriously arguing that Green Bay should have gone for two?

McCarthy made the 100% correct call. The defense had been playing well and they shit the bed on a broken down defensive play. Sometimes that's just how it goes. They even had a chance with 1st and goal and still didn't stop them.

Also the OT rules are fine and a million times better than the old rules where a field goal wins it.

This Packers team has seriously outperformed what talent we have on our squad by getting as far as we did. I don't know how you could have watched the Packers this season and come to any other conclusion. We felt like a 5-11 or 6-10 team most game days.

McCarthy made the 100% correct call. The defense had been playing well and they shit the bed on a broken down defensive play. Sometimes that's just how it goes. They even had a chance with 1st and goal and still didn't stop them.

Also the OT rules are fine and a million times better than the old rules where a field goal wins it.

This Packers team has seriously outperformed what talent we have on our squad by getting as far as we did. I don't know how you could have watched the Packers this season and come to any other conclusion. We felt like a 5-11 or 6-10 team most game days.

Nah, just Bomb.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Well if we're sticking to this year (as you wanted to do 2 posts ago), 100% of road teams won their playoff games last weekend.

So, it looks like 100%.

:D

Just trolling.

I agree with you -- go for 2, on the road ESPECIALLY Given the scenario where Green bay was mostly outplayed all game and had to rely on extreme fortune to even have a chance. But it's not like going for 2 was some sure thing, while going into overtime was a forelorne loss. All I'm saying is McCarthy doesn't deserve to be fired for playing the most likely scenario for his team to win. Unless you think Mike PEttine would be a better coach than McCarthy. Or maybe Jim Tomsula.

Exactly. Everyone saw in the regular season where the Cards smoked GB. GB really had like a 10% to win this game. Yet when they get an opportunity to win the game, they would rather extend the game and hope that their fortune continues. If you are NE playing the NYJ, you extend the game. More often than not, the better team prevails. If the worst team is satisfied with continuously prolonging the game, sooner or later they will lose.

Spinluck

Because I posted numbers, okay.

Bread argument: my team is good, derp derp I'm bread.

Opposer: lists actual facts and backs up their point

Bread: you suck, you are dumb

Is this what you want the future of NFLGAF to be? If not, vote Spincenter.

Fuck bread

Fuck Breadstream

Pagusas

Elden Member

I agree with this man. Last year I felt sick to my stomach after the loss, this year I feel proud of our team. We took them to overtime with nothing but rookie WRs and one James Jones that turned invisible. I can't feel bad about this game, we did the best we could. Going for 2 would be ridiculed beyond belief if we (likely) failed to convert.

TheFatOne

Elite qb, and what many who watch/study football believe to be the best qb in the game so the expectation is always going to be super bowl or bust regardless of the talent around him.

Feels werid we are now one of those SB or bust team and probably will be for the duration of the Russell era.

Oh well it's better than the playoff or drink era....

Chiclets

Banned
CY5euR-UMAAcZr5.jpg

image.php

Steelers hypocrisy knows no bounds wow

Man one more Brady/Manning bowl would be so sweet. Shame NE didn't take care of business against Miami or NYJ... have it in New England like it should be

Pagusas

Elden Member
Elite qb, and what many who watch/study football believe to be the best qb in the game so the expectation is always going to be super bowl or bust regardless of the talent around him.

This is true, but it's a great problem to have. We already won one with Rodgers, I'm not so greedy to feel we are entitled or deserve more. I do think we will win another before he retires (I imagine him lasting to 37/38, he won't be Favre as he relies to much in his legs).

Next year we get Nelson back, Janis should be made a starter, Cobb hopefully can be a good producer again as #2 without double coverage. I don't think we bring jones back.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
my blood is boiling. big hairy pussy mike mccarthy. the odds of winning the game were zilch before the game started and instead of attempting for the win with extemely higher odds than you had before the game started, you hit the reset button and start over in OT. What a fool.

lmao LA radio guys proceeded to pull up a mock draft, remark at the fact they'd never seen one before, marvel at it having the Rams taking Treadwell and be interested in it, before ultimately dismissing it saying the team needs a QB

2 years in the life of Nick Foles: From Eagles savior to getting disrespected by people who've literally never seen a mock draft before

Mrbob

Grab Matt Forte after the Bears let him go this off season.

Pagusas

Elden Member
my blood is boiling. big hairy pussy mike mccarthy. the odds of winning the game were zilch before the game started and instead of attempting for the win with extemely higher odds than you had before the game started, you hit the reset button and start over in OT. What a fool.

I wish we could kick fans like you out somehow.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I wish we could kick fans like you out somehow.

I hope FiveThirtyEight does an article on how dumb it was to not go for the win.

They had ARZ at 66% to win(highest of any playoff game thus far), highest ELO out of the playoff teams, and highest probability to win the super bowl.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
As much as I don't like overtime rules, that was all about the blown coverage on Fitzgerald.

I think Fitzgerald deserves a ring after all that work he's put in over the years.

I'm also drunk as shit at a dive bar where illicit things are clearly happening, so what do I know.

Trey

I think so. Hail Mary delivered, punch it in for two and steal the game.

But I also think getting two yards to win the game is a bet I'd take every time.

Ok, so aside from cherry picking stats, then well for the sake of argument, wouldn't this also extend to Aaron Rodger's chances in overtime...? A QB who is arguably more successful in OT than NYJ and Fitzpatrick ... ?

I get it and sympathize with you but, no, you're statistically wrong about going for 2 versus going to overtime, and no, McCarthy should not be fired for it. But I still sympathize with the point of view.

I think it's overstated that there's no competition in the AFC East. NYJ, Miami, and Buffalo are about as good as any team in the AFC South this year, or NFC South last year, or NFC East this year, or NFC West 3 years ago, etc. It's just that there's one really good team every year in the AFC East. so unlike the AFC South this year (Houston division winner at 9-7), NFC South last year (Carolina division winner at 7-9?), NFC West a few years back (Seahawks at 8-8?), and NFC EAst this year (Reskins at 9-7?), those Jets teams who go 10-6 (2015) or Bills teams who go 9-7 (2014) or Dolphins teams who go 8-8 (2014), those would all be playoff teams in a handful of other divisions in the league each year.

absolutely not

Line_HTX

Absolutely the right call to go for the PAT to send it to OT. Regroup and refocus.

It would be a bigger embarrassment if they tried to go for the 2-pointer and failed.

I think it's overstated that there's no competition in the AFC East. NYJ, Miami, and Buffalo are about as good as any team in the AFC South this year, or NFC South last year, or NFC East this year, or NFC West 3 years ago, etc. It's just that there's one really good team every year in the AFC East. so unlike the AFC South this year (Houston division winner at 9-7), NFC South last year (Carolina division winner at 7-9?), NFC West a few years back (Seahawks at 8-8?), and NFC EAst this year (Reskins at 9-7?), those Jets teams who go 10-6 (2015) or Bills teams who go 9-7 (2014) or Dolphins teams who go 8-8 (2014), those would all be playoff teams in a handful of other divisions in the league each year.
This is so stupid. Eagles beat pats, bills, jets, and had a big lead against fins before Bradford got hurt.

Top Bottom