• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

5 years is forever with a lot of franchises. I'd give Coughlin a job in a heartbeat if my team needed a rebuild and a direction to follow. I'm not sure Coughlin would be willing to take those types of jobs at this point.
That's the crux of it really and what kind of personnel control would Coughlin want? Would he be enticed to take on more of a rebuild job if he were handed control of fully building a team?

One aspect of his resume that gets amazingly ignored is what he did in building Jacksonville from the ground up. Aside from the two Super Bowls, that's the one element that I believe makes him a future hall of famer more than anything else.

EDIT: Reports coming that Hue Jackson may be out of the running for the Niners job:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/12/report-49ers-no-longer-in-running-for-hue-jackson/

That didn’t happen as Jackson went on the interview with the Browns and set up an interview with the Giants and the chances of Jackson winding up in Santa Clara don’t look so good on Tuesday. Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the 49ers are “no longer” in the running for Jackson’s services. Michael Silver of NFL Media, who has been close to Jackson for some time, reports no team is out and nothing has been agreed to with any team at this point.

Per Kawakami, the 49ers still like Jackson a lot but “something happened” in the last couple of days to make his hiring unlikely. Given the other opportunities that Jackson is pursuing and the 49ers’ Tuesday interview with Tom Coughlin, it would seem that something is that one side or the other is more interested in a different arrangement.

Speculative but I really wonder if the Niners interest in Coughlin is even stronger than what's being reported.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
That's the crux of it really and what kind of personnel control would Coughlin want? Would he be enticed to take on more of a rebuild job if he were handed control of fully building a team?

One aspect of his resume that gets amazingly ignored is what he did in building Jacksonville from the ground up. Aside from the two Super Bowls, that's the one element that I believe makes him a future hall of famer more than anything else.

I really think that's because the Carolina/jacksonville expansion was way too generous. What he accomplished was great, but Carolina did more or less the same thing.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Leah Still is cancer-free.

F1a7EhY.jpg

Quazar

Sure Coughlin CAN coach to any age. WILL he?

I really feel like Coughlin is only seriously considering coaching another team because he doesn't like the idea of forcefully being put out to pasture. What team is starting from the ground up with him?

Hiring Coughlin buys you at best 5 years until you have to make another coaching search. NFL teams obviously have bias against old coaches.

At this point i would love for Coughlin to come to San Fran. Setup a nice succession management strategy for once he leaves. We're running out of options as it is.

bionic77

This thread sucks today.

Let me see if I can spice it up.

Dragon you never answered us about those JLaw pics.

What really happened?

It's not lmao doe

Mike Munchak and Joey Porter, both Steeler coaches, were running onto the field, and in Munchak's case, were assaulting Bengal players.
LOL

Yeah, man, I loved it when Munchak took the tag from Porter, climbed the top rope and drove that elbow down on BirthDefect. Meanwhile, Porter hit Ms. Pacman with the Rock Bottom. 1, 2, 3, motherfucker, game over!

I really think that's because the Carolina/jacksonville expansion was way too generous. What he accomplished was great, but Carolina did more or less the same thing.
First five seasons of the Panthers existence:

7-9
12-4 - NFC Championship
4-12
8-8
7-9

First five seasons of the Jacksonville Jaguars:

7-9
9-7
11-5 - Divisional Playoffs
14-2 - AFC Championships

Your definition of "more of less" is a bit different than mine.

levious

Didnt carolina advance to the championship round within the same amount of time? I am remembering it differntly though. I thought CAR put together a consistent winner ealry.

Didnt carolina advance to the championship round within the same amount of time? I am remembering it differntly though. I thought CAR put together a consistent winner ealry.

You're remembering it differently. I corrected the one season that I got wrong.

Their second year they went 12-4 and reached the playoffs/NFC Championship. The rest of the history is as stated and there was nothing consistent about their winning. They finished 7-9 their next season, etc.

Bread

Banned
Well some of you have been wondering where the money has been going, and I can finally announce it today.

With My Chargers moving to LA, I had to make them a part of my history, so I went ahead and purchased the naming rights! They will be known as the Los Angeles Breadstreams Formerly of San Diego and Currently in Inglewood!

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 29s ago
Chargers will be known as the Breadstreams Formerly of San Diego and Currently in Inglewood, or the LA BFSDCI for short.

Ian Rappoport @RapeSheet 2m ago
Unbelievable. RT "Chargers will be known as the Breadstreams Formerly of San Diego and Currently in Inglewood, or the LA BFSDCI for short."

levious

Their second year they went 12-4 and reached the playoffs/NFC Championship. The rest of the history is as stated and there was nothing consistent about their winning.

That's a huge correction really? Championship round in year two.

Most would agree that the two teams got too much.

Coughlin is far superiour to Seifert, but I am more impressed with his two championships in NY than his run in Jacksonville.

As a whole it's been a great career.

Bowser

7-9
12-4 - NFC Championship
4-12
8-8
7-9

7-9
9-7
14-2 - AFC Championships

Their second year they went 12-4 and reached the playoffs/NFC Championship. The rest of the history is as stated and there was nothing consistent about their winning. They finished 7-9 their next season, etc.

Actually it's not exactly as you stated. Close, but it's:

7-9
12-4
7-9
4-12
8-8

:p

But yes, Coughlin had the Jags in the playoffs in 4 of their first 5 seasons. Pretty impressive.

Well some of you have been wondering where the money has been going, and I can finally announce it today.

With My Chargers moving to LA, I had to make them a part of my history, so I went ahead and purchased the naming rights! They will be known as the Los Angeles Breadstreams Formerly of San Diego and Currently in Inglewood!

Motherfucker we ain't pay yo ass to do all that.

Stick to the streaming man

7-9
12-4 - NFC Championship
4-12
8-8
7-9

7-9
9-7
14-2 - AFC Championships

As the Jags were in the Steelers division at that point in time, I can easily say Coughlin did an amazing job with them. They were tough from day 1.

RBH

Steelers offensive lineman Ramon Foster joined The Fan Morning Show on Tuesday for his regular weekly spot with the guys, and during the interview, he discussed one of the many controversial incidents that occurred during Saturday’s heated playoff game – Vontaze Burfict allegedly spitting on Foster’s linemate David DeCastro.

DeCastro’s allegation was serious enough, but not particularly stunning considering Burfict’s history. However, according to Foster, Burfict was not the only Bengals player to spit on a Steelers player on Saturday.

“He wasn’t the only guy,” Foster said. “I will say that he had another culprit out there with him.”

Foster told the guys that he considers spitting to be an outlandish, egregious act.

“It’s uncommon,” Foster said. “And I think it’s a huge deal. Spitting on somebody is a huge offense. You take that as a sign of major disrespect. I don’t care what venue you’re in – basketball, football, hockey, or you’re at your neighborhood bar – spitting on somebody is unacceptable.”
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016...le-bengals-spit-on-steelers-not-just-burfict/

Spinluck

He's played the Pats three times already and has been a no show in all three games. No excuses period for the supposed best defensive player in the league. Dude has been a complete and utter non factor against the Pats. Invisible would be a pretty big understatement when it comes to Watt vs the Pats. So far against the Pats he can't get it done period, and the sample size is slowly growing.

Edit: He's faced them four times completely forgot about the playoff game where he had half a sack lol

Earlier this year we had scrubs shut him down in Houston.

I think Reitz was the one who shut him down, which begs the question, is Watt a choker?

Nah, jk, I'd love to have him on my defense. Though, I personally wouldn't care about a player winning all these personal accolades. It's nice for bringing attention to your team, but those awards stay and go with the player. As I learned with PeyPey, the MVP awards mean nothing to us now, as great as those years were.

Josh5890

Out of the three teams in the LA sweepstakes I think the Kroneke has the most to lose. He threw St. Louis under the bus and if he has to crawl back to St. Louis without a moving van then he has no choice but to sell.

Gigglepoo

Weird seeing everyone label Blair Walsh as the goat while ignoring AP. The guy was terrible the entire game and his fumble lead to the Seahawks game-winning score. The guy who went 3/4 in sub-zero weather made a mistake; AP is the goat.

I used to hate facing McNair when he was on the Titans...

Yep, from '97 to '01, the old Central was a bear with the Tits, Rats, and Jags. All teams that made championship games or the SB. Steelers included of course. And McNair was still a pain in the ass when he closed out his career with the Rats.

Weird seeing everyone label Blair Walsh as the goat while ignoring AP. The guy was terrible the entire game and his fumble lead to the Seahawks game-winning score. The guy who went 3/4 in sub-zero weather made a mistake; AP is the goat.

I heard someone say it best: Walsh didn't have the worst fuck-up, he was just the last one to fuck up.

The only reason they were even in that game was because of him.

Howard Balzer @HBalzer721
Hearing Stan Kroenke told owners this morning not to cross him; believes there would be collusion if chose Carson with Chargers-Raiders.
3:50 PM - 12 Jan 2016

Kroenke basically threatening to take the NFL to court if he doesn't get his way

cdyhybrid

Yep, Walsh needs to make that kick, but if Peterson doesn't fumble they probably aren't in that situation in the first place. Plenty of blame to go around.

Hindl

Ian Rappoport @RapeSheet 2m ago
Unbelievable. RT "Chargers will be known as the Breadstreams Formerly of San Diego and Currently in Inglewood, or the LA BFSDCI for short."

The Pats fan subconsciousness comin thru

I heard someone say it best: Walsh didn't have the worst fuck-up, he was just the last one to fuck up.

The only reason they were even in that game was because of him.

Seriously, he wasn't the reason the Vikings scored 0 touchdowns

Gigglepoo

Kroenke basically threatening to take the NFL to court if he doesn't get his way

I don't know Kroenke personally but I hate him.

Yep, Walsh needs to make that kick, but if Peterson doesn't fumble they probably aren't in that situation in the first place. Plenty of blame to go around.

Also, anyone who says that game wasn't incredible is nuts. There were plenty of mistakes, but even more phenomenal plays. Loved (almost) every second of it.

Howard Balzer @HBalzer721
Hearing Stan Kroenke told owners this morning not to cross him; believes there would be collusion if chose Carson with Chargers-Raiders.
3:50 PM - 12 Jan 2016

lmao I can just picture walking around telling other rich old white dudes "Don't fuck with me"

Top Bottom