• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

Furyous

Farmer? I think two teams may be too many for you to keep up with.

And I cannot imagine Hue keeping DeFillipo, whom he has never worked with. He'll want someone familiar with his system. It'd be nice to see Ken Zampese get a coordinator shot.

I know we fired Farmer but needed to someone to put in the GM slot anyway. Let me go scout this Ken Zampese person. Keeping up with two teams isn't that hard thanks to RSS feeds.

eznark

Banned
I know we fired Farmer but needed to someone to put in the GM slot anyway. Let me go scout this Ken Zampese person. Keeping up with two teams isn't that hard thanks to RSS feeds.

You were also unaware that John Fox was coaching the Bears. You need to buckle down.

Niners won't hire chip kelly. He's too much like Harbs :(

Harbs was mean to Balkee though, Chip is just indifferent to all that stuff. If the 9ers really do want to win they should hire Chip. Give him a chance to see what he can do with kap, and also you guys already have Tom Gamble who Chip loved working with in Philly.

IIRC his net worth as of 2015 was between 6 and 7 million dollars. His wife's worth is actually under 5 billion and less than his. So their COMBINED worth is about 11 billion. I don't want to seem rude, but are you really saying 25 percent of their net worth, with no guarantee of ROI is chump change? I apologize if that sounded douchey..I just can't figure out how to phrase it otherwise.

The reason there's no guarantee of ROI is due to the fact that the NFL does not have regional TV contracts. Unlike the Clippers and Dodgers, there's no way for Kroenke to fleece a network out of 3 billion dollars to show Rams games and that severely hampers the franchise's ability to rise sharply in value.

Whoa. I didn't even know about the 1 billion in escrow. I knew about the 550M for relocation though. Is he getting the 100 or 200 million G-4 funding from the NFL? Between that and maybe PSLs...I guess he might be able to get ...300 or 400 million of his investment.

The only thing I can think of is he's moving the time to try to spike a 5 billion dollar valuation and then flip the team...pay off the remaining loans and then buy another team like the Broncos or something.

Well, what makes this stadium so good for him is that it will be used for far more than just football. So even if the Rams continue to be a bad football team and have poor fan support he will make infinite money off of all the other stuff being hosted there.

Anyway I'm going to assume STL is done as an NFL city unless they think they can repair the burned bridges from this move. Hopefully they'll try to attract the MLS, I would love that.

BigAT

Damn I feel like I just won a award. Let me see who do I need to thank in my speech? Hmmm looks like I just have a lot of people to say fuck you too
Adele_2137659b.jpg

I wanna say Fuck you to everyone who said Jackson was playing us.

I wanna say Fuck you to all the Giant and 9ers fans that looked down on us.

I wanna say Fuck you Scoot.

If I'm forgetting you please look In the mirror and say fuck you
hNk0Jsi.gif

iu

I got my guy! Now it's time to start the #FireHuePetition
*fades away

Browns fans celebrating hiring a head coach whose greatest season ever was 8-8. How very Cleveland of you.

eznark

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought Chip Kelly wanted more control over personnel than a head coach normally would have, and I just used "Diet" since I've heard of him more than I have Hue Jackson.

Oh, I thought you meant in terms of offense. I guess you aren't far off, though I think Hue is generally considered to be a bit more aggressive in his control demands than Chip was.

Oh, I thought you meant in terms of offense. I guess you aren't far off, though I think Hue is generally considered to be a bit more aggressive in his control demands than Chip was.

Chip really never wanted control. He didnt have it is first 2 years in Philly, and the whole thing with Howie only happened because Howie fired Chip's friend Tom Gamble. If Gamble hadnt been fired Chip never would have asked for, or gotten, personal control.

Line_HTX

:jnc Billy was walking around the locker room wearing boxing gloves. Whoever he was training with probably punched his face on accident.

Oh come on. This is ridiculous, even for you.

Why did he take ajob with an established GM then? Why didnt he make his big power move until after his friend was fired? If Howie hadnt fired Tom Gamble last offseason nothing would have changed at all. I am sure Chip had/wanted input on who was on the roster, but no way do I think he wanted to be the one out negotiating contracts and stuff like that.

effzee

Oh come on. This is ridiculous, even for you.

But it's true.

Chip brought in Tom Gamble when he was hired to be part of the FO. In typical Howie fashion, he couldn't get along with Tom.

Tom gets fired after year 2, rumors that Chip is gong to leave emerge, and following a meeting a Lurie, Chip gets full control.

Pretty clear to see he only wanted full control after Howie fired his guy.

eznark

Banned
But it's true.

Chip brought in Tom Gamble when he was hired to be part of the FO. In typical Howie fashion, he couldn't get along with Tom.

Tom gets fired after year 2, rumors that Chip is gong to leave emerge, and following a meeting a Lurie, Chip gets full control.

Pretty clear to see he only wanted full control after Howie fired his guy.

The fact that he installed his own man in the front office tells you he wanted control.

akileese

My bad, you're right, their combined net worth is $12bn (per Forbes). Still, he's in $2bn out of $12bn. Is it a shitload of money? Yes. In the grand scheme of billions, will it materially affect his lifestyle/way of life? No. Is he guaranteed to at least recoup half of that money? I think so for sure considering he's getting all the revenue streams from the project, not just what the team generates.

Bottom line, a guy doesn't amass that kind of fortune without taking (calculated) risks. I think this one will work out just fine for him.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/stanley-kroenke/
http://www.forbes.com/profile/ann-walton-kroenke/

It's actually estimated at 2.66 billion for the stadium, plus another 550 in relocation fees so it's closer to 3.2 billion than 2 billion. As another poster said, he already has 1.55b held up, (1 billion in escrow from the stadium and 550 million for relocation fees).

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just think it's kind of risky to dump a lot of money in the LA Market when there's not really any evidence or proof that you can make it back.

Just read the Jackson news.

I would be bummed if I wasn't so dazed and confused at his decision making in this whole thing. You didn't even talk to the Giants? Alrighty then. Good luck surviving for more than a year in that shit hole organization. The worst part is this is his second chance in the HC spot - if
when
they fire him, good luck finding someone to give you a third chance.

rando14

I would be bummed if I wasn't so dazed and confused at his decision making in this whole thing. You didn't even talk to the Giants? Alrighty then. Good luck surviving for more than a year in that shit hole organization. The worst part is this is his second chance in the HC spot - if
when

ayy this some fireemoji

when
The Los Angeles Rams might have an opening in a year.

The fact that he installed his own man in the front office tells you he wanted control.

I dont get what this means? When Chip was hired Howie was the GM. Chip brought in someone he was comfortable working with to work with Howie. Chip obviously has a specific vision for how he wants the team to be. Tom works in the FO with Howie to find players that meet that vision. Chip is just the coach the first 2 years. Howie then chases off Gamble like he has chased off everyone other member of the Eagles FO. Chip goes to Lurie says he cant work with Howie, Lurie removes Howie and puts Chip in charge. How does that show that Chip wants all the power for himself?

It's actually estimated at 2.66 billion for the stadium, plus another 550 in relocation fees so it's closer to 3.2 billion than 2 billion. As another poster said, he already has 1.55b held up, (1 billion in escrow from the stadium and 550 million for relocation fees).

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just think it's kind of risky to dump a lot of money in the LA Market when there's not really any evidence or proof that you can make it back.

He's building a giant retail center, he actually started building in December. Putting his team in that stadium was just a plus, he was building it anyways.

eznark

Banned
I dont get what this means? When Chip was hired Howie was the GM. Chip brought in someone he was comfortable working with to work with Howie. Chip obviously has a specific vision for how he wants the team to be. Tom works in the FO with Howie to find players that meet that vision. Chip is just the coach the first 2 years. Howie then chases off Gamble like he has chased off everyone other member of the Eagles FO. Chip goes to Lurie says he cant work with Howie, Lurie removes Howie and puts Chip in charge. How does that show that Chip wants all the power for himself?

I.E. Chip Wants Control

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Welcome Hue! Delighted to get him.

Cya Johnny....

My liege!

Come and dance with us cause today is a NEW DAY!

tumblr_ntldrcilrt1sbzhteo1_400.gif

I3lnCZS.gif

when

This opinion is booty!

tumblr_ntk6t572Sr1rdx8ebo1_500.0.gif

effzee

I think control is too strong of a word. A personnel guy who helped build the 49ers and who had previously family ties to the Eagles was brought in to work with Howie.

It's not like Howie works by himself. This was another personnel guy and somehow who Howie should have been able to work with considering his background and credentials. I bet all coaches have some guys brought in similarly even if there is a clear distinction between coach and FO.

The fact he didn't oreally couldn't shows yet again he is incapable of working with people who might threaten his job.

If Chip wanted "control " the likes of which he ultimately gained, he would have demanded it from the start. He had the most leverage during the hiring process.

Well the current owner lives in Houston but didn't attend the meetings yesterday because she was "interviewing for head coaches" yet they had no interviews scheduled.

Edit:
Former #Rams RB Lawrence Phillips found dead in prison at age 40 https://t.co/at7BBC2kHl via @usatoday

Damn.

He didn't want to live in a world without the St. Louis Rams in it.

Kroenke has blood on his hands.

EDIT: Wes is alive?!

Kind of feel bad for Browns fans. Even when they land a good candidate they get shit on from fans of other teams.
Its all very scientific and straight forward. When a thing has observably been a certain way for not only an extended period of time but for what has seemingly been an endless amount of time - you don't expect said thing to show you that its any different. The onus is on said thing to prove it has changed its behavior in some appreciable fashion before any benefit of the doubt is given.

The thing in this particular case is the Cleveland Browns by the way. No offense to Browns -GAF. You live a miserable football experience/life every season and I'm not trying to make it worst but well - they are what they are. Dysfunctional, completely lacking in patience and clueless in how to build a long term football operation. We'll see if the "thing" changes its behavior....

I congratulate them on signing Hue. I'm a fan. It's because of that that I cringe at where he'll end up after he gets chewed up and spat out ....

BigAT

How does threatening to quit if he doesn't get full control NOT show that he wants power for himself?

Its all very scientific and straight forward. When a thing has observably been a certain way for not only an extended period of time but for what has seemingly been an endless amount of time - you don't expect said thing to show you that its any different. The onus is on said thing to prove it has changed its behavior in some appreciable fashion before any benefit of the doubt is given.

The thing in this particular case is the Cleveland Browns by the way. No offense to Browns -GAF. You live a miserable football experience and I'm not trying to make it worst but well - they are what they are. Dysfunctional, completely lacking in patience and clueless in how to build a long term football operation. We'll see if the "thing" changes its behavior....

I congratulate them in signing Hue. I'm a fan. It's because of that that I cringe at where he'll end up after he gets chewed up and spat out ....
I never said that the other fans shitting on them were wrong. ;)

Dolphins fans are in a similar boat, by the way. If you have a rational bone in your body you know that the introductory press conferences, the promises from ownership, and all of the friendly handshakes mean jack shit because all of that was done multiple times within the past decade. The only way you go from being a historically dysfunctional and terrible organization is by winning on the football field consistently enough to stabilize the franchise. That's always the hope but as you say there is no reason for us to believe it will happen until we see it with our own eyes.

kmag

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 45s46 seconds ago

Hue Jackson will become 8th Browns HC since 1999, passing up interview to become Giants' 18th HC since 1925.

Good luck Hue, you'll need it (pro tip: I'd probably rent if I were you)

Top Bottom