• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

effzee

I too thought they should have kept Kelly, but adjusted his personnel power. As far as Shurmur, I think I would give him a chance over Pederson. The first time a guy coaches he's going to make mistakes and learn a lot. Now if Pat keeps Billy Davis that would be a disaster

But still, the best candidate out there is Chip

Eagles get to pick from Pederson, Shurmur, Coughlin. AWESOME!

They also never bothered to question Hue, Austin, McDermott, Guenther, or any of the other top guys looking to become HC.

This has been truly the most bizarre search for a coach. All centered around who gets along with Howie and might be a fun guy. Lost out on who they really wanted in Gase and McAdoo.

Hope you are happy Lurie. Chip should have gotten 5 full years and a chance to turn this around. Awesome just awesome.

At this point considering they thought they had McAdoo and now they dont, they should hold off and interview more candidates. Wait for more assistants off the playoff teams to be eliminated.

At this point my #1 candidate would be Guenther but he is a defensive coach so that will never happen.

And it will really suck if Hue makes the Browns a competent team. It is tough enough with the Bungles and potentially Ravens being good in our division and trying to murder us every year. If the Browns suddenly become competent then I think we are all fucked. It will be great for the regular season but no one will be able to win this division and still be healthy enough to do anything in the postseason. I would like to petition to move to the AFC South and exchange places with the Colts.

For the record I think Hue did a really good job in Cincy. I liked the offense they ran before Dalton went down. That said I don't know if being good or smart is enough to turn shit around in Cleveland. Vince Lombardi on his best day would probably be happy to get 8 wins from the Browns next year. I think the Browns could get him to give up football altogether...

Request denied biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch. You aren't going to get to walk into the playoffs after shitting on the fighting Gatas, Watts, and the Titans.

Plus if any team should be moved.. It should be the ravens anyway and Indy comes to the North.. Makes a tad bit more sense geographically between all of us.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Grain of salt b/c it is the internet, but Gruden spotted at the Philly airport

https://twitter.com/DadSelfie/status/687458341036142592

CYpXtWaUsAE7TM_.jpg

I'm sure if you're bringing in Gru to interview, you make him have dinner at the airport...

squicken

At this point my #1 candidate would be Guenther but he is a defensive coach so that will never happen.

I think he is going to have to work hard to shake off the images of his players losing control and costing them a playoff game

But I agree with you about widening the search. No one is going to hire Pederson or Shurmur out from under them

effzee

I think he is going to have to work hard to shake off the images of his players losing control and costing them a playoff game

But I agree with you about widening the search. No one is going to hire Pederson or Shurmur out from under them

Yeah what do you stand to lose now? Its not like the new coach, esp if its Shurmur or Pederson, will need any extra time to prep for combine, scouting, or the draft. Howie will take care of all that.

Wait until this weekend's playoffs, and see who becomes available and or is interested.

BTW McDermott is not happening cause apparently he can't stand Howie. Yipee! Another top guy who we can't bring in cause of Howie.

Godslay

Banned
ProFootballTalk
‏@ProFootballTalk
Steelers' OL says league should look at Broncos' "bounty" http://wp.me/p14QSB-9XOU

SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE

I saw that earlier in the week. Here's the full quote from Stewart, sounds pretty tame to me:

“It’s not going to be anything as far as cheap or anything,” Stewart said. “We’re going to get him between the lines, between the whistles. He’s going to be sore after the game, that’s how I see it. He comes out on a screen, he better not come at [me]. I’m cutting him. That’s where I’m at with it. You got me mad right now just thinking about it.”

Bronco's don't need to get involved with the goon like shit that goes down with the Steelers and the Bengals. Just grind them out by outplaying them. That's all that needs to be done.

Get qb in free agency and groom the qb taken I n the draft. Give the rookie time. At least one year.

If the Browns are going to turn it around they need to change the atmosphere.

I think Hue is a good coach though but he has to get this shit right the first year to get a chance.
Funny thing is I think Manziel was put in a position to succeed rookie year. Sat for majority of year and had a chance to learn, but wasted the opportunity.

If we get a guy and he sits or he dosent....I have no preference right now, as long as he takes it serious. We have to put the guy in a good position though

gutshot

Yeah what do you stand to lose now? Its not like the new coach, esp if its Shurmur or Pederson, will need any extra time to prep for combine, scouting, or the draft. Howie will take care of all that.

Wait until this weekend's playoffs, and see who becomes available and or is interested.

BTW McDermott is not happening cause apparently he can't stand Howie. Yipee! Another top guy who we can't bring in cause of Howie.

Where did you read that? Publicly, McDermott seemed to be angling for the job. Said he loves the area, loves the organization, etc. etc. The Eagles never reached out to him though.

cdyhybrid

I saw that earlier in the week. Here's the full quote from Stewart, sounds pretty tame to me:

Bronco's don't need to get involved with the goon like shit that goes down with the Steelers and the Bengals. Just grind them out by outplaying them. That's all that needs to be done.

I just think it's funny that a guy on the same team as Munchak and Shazier is asking Papa Goodell to step in for him.

bionic77

Funny thing is I think Manziel was put in a position to succeed rookie year. Sat for majority of year and had a chance to learn, but wasted the opportunity.

If we get a guy and he sits or he dosent....I have no preference right now, as long as he takes it serious. We have to put the guy in a good position though
You need a culture first.

That needs some vets at key positions.

Good guys and not scumbags like Pacman and Burfect...

$50 million cap space with no cuts, and a team filled with holes, draft can't help this team, Reese gonna have to spend a lot this off season to potentially fix the defense...

Draft can absolutely help this team but yes, Reese will need to open up the wallet to fill the holes he won't be able to fill in the draft. Not for bargain bin half measure guys either.

The Giants went 6-10 and kept their offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and general manager. So unless it was all Coughlin's fault, I wouldn't get too down

The only part of that list that truly earned a firing was the GM but the Giants don't do that. I asked you this before (and got no answer) and I'll ask it again - go look at the Giants roster and tell me what coordinator makes that group a top ten defense?

Draxal

Very happy with the McAdoo hire.

Coughlin was an offensive coach so still had a lot of say in the offense (the RB situation screams him), I don't think we'll face the same issue with Philbin/McAdoo.

Godslay

Banned
I just think it's funny that a guy on the same team as Munchak and Shazier is asking Papa Goodell to step in for him.

Goodell was hands off last time when Wallace blew up Bruton with that cheap shot. So I assume he'll keep looking the other way. After last week though, who knows?

effzee

Where did you read that? Publicly, McDermott seemed to be angling for the job. Said he loves the area, loves the organization, etc. etc. The Eagles never reached out to him though.

I''ll look but one of the beat writers had tweeted about it.

squicken

The only part of that list that truly earned a firing was the GM but the Giants don't do that. I asked you this before (and got no answer) and I'll ask it again - go look at the Giants roster and tell me what coordinator makes that group a top ten defense?
I'm open to the idea that Spags can be a good DC. His time in NO looks better now that it is clear that no one can coach that level of poor talent. So my dig is more at Reese than Spags or McAdoo. I posted that that thing from Sando about how little the Giants have gotten from their drafts since 2007. I just find it odd Coughlin is the one guy that goes

bionic77

Goodell was hands off last time when Wallace blew up Bruton with that cheap shot. So I assume he'll keep looking the other way. After last week though, who knows?
Wallace thought they took a cheap shot at Brown and he was in his mind retaliating.

The olds in charge like that kind of "policing".

WedgeX

Banned
I am feeling more and more that Caldwell will stay. That or Detroit winds up with McDaniels and Stafford becomes an alcoholic.

The Detroit Free Press had a great analysis of whether Quinn will keep Caldwell or not.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

He was fined. If he gets fined another 14 times in the next year, I'm sure he'll get suspended like Burfict.

I'm open to the idea that Spags can be a good DC. His time in NO looks better now that it is clear that no one can coach that level of poor talent. So my dig is more at Reese than Spags or McAdoo. I posted that that thing from Sando about how little the Giants have gotten from their drafts since 2007. I just find it odd Coughlin is the one guy that goes
The writing was on the wall for Coughlin but as Draxal has said several times, most fans here know that he was handed a lemon. The fact that he managed to squeeze what he did out of it is why I'm so quick to dispute the notion that he can't still be an effective coach for a team with a vacancy.

Godslay

Banned
Wallace thought they took a cheap shot at Brown and he was in his mind retaliating.

He thought wrong, but plays like that are usually a failure of judgment anyways. So it is what it is.

He was fined. If he gets fined another 14 times in the next year, I'm sure he'll get suspended like Burfict.

Sure, but it was deliberate targeting. Not to mention the relative size difference, and the play being over. Beckham got suspended for the same thing. Fine was understandable, but for the sake of consistency he should have been suspended.

effzee

Brian Westbrook teasing (trolling probably) on twitter that he knows who the new coach is and will reveal tomorrow morning on the Philly ESPN Radio station.

If there is any truth to it, then of course it is someone in house. Shurmur I assume.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-ramon-foster-calls-threat-by-broncos-safety-a-bounty/

And Wallace's response to the Bronco revenge plan: "It's understandable. I knew at the time it happened I was in the wrong for it. The league handled it the way they wanted to and I paid my fine and so we'll move on and see what happens."

Now, if he was a shithead Bunghole, he'd cry about being provoked, call Bruton a faker, try and start a fight and then post a lame ass kiddie rant on social media.

Draxal

The writing was on the wall for Coughlin but as Draxal has said several times, most fans here know that he was handed a lemon. The fact that he managed to squeeze what he did out of it is why I'm so quick to dispute the notion that he can't still be an effective coach for a team with a vacancy.

Did you see the numbers crunching on Reese's draft after he said prove it?

It's not pretty at all.

As for Coughlin, I think the Giants realized they were going to lose McAdoo soon, and they really wanted him, so this is a perfect segue to handle that transition.

One knock on Coughlin as a HOFer is that his coaching tree is pretty much nonexistent and if McAdoo succeeds, it'll help him a ton there.

JABEE

Howie also fired McDermott's brother who worked as a Marketing Executive for the Eagles the week Carolina was coming into town to play last season.

bionic77

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/steelers-ramon-foster-calls-threat-by-broncos-safety-a-bounty/

And Wallace's response to the Bronco revenge plan: "It's understandable. I knew at the time it happened I was in the wrong for it. The league handled it the way they wanted to and I paid my fine and so we'll move on and see what happens."

Now, if he was a shithead Bunghole, he'd cry about being provoked, call Bruton a faker, try and start a fight and then post a lame ass kiddie rant on social media.
Watching it live I thought Bruton was faking it. I could see the blatant winking after the play watching it in HD.

I need to see an independent X-ray before I believe him about that leg "injury" too.

Who is the top QB projected for 2017? Eagles will probably be picking in the top 5.
Look on the bright side, your next head coaching candidate is already waiting in the lobby.

swaychip2.gif

;)

I'm still sort of shocked how the whole Chip firing process played out.

squicken

Brian Westbrook teasing (trolling probably) on twitter that he knows who the new coach is and will reveal tomorrow morning on the Philly ESPN Radio station.

If there is any truth to it, then of course it is someone in house. Shurmur I assume.

Shurmur is still showing up every day at the Eagles facility. Dunno how much that means since he is still under contract, but maybe the media guys know more

As far as Howie and McDermott

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLan
Think it goes back to personnel decisions. McDermott wanted Chris Clemons gone in 2010 and led Howie to a bad trade.

Les Bowen ‏@LesBowen
They also differed greatly on the value of Jason Babin, who left for a year and then came back after Sean was fired.

effzee

Howie also fired McDermott's brother who worked as a Marketing Executive for the Eagles the week Carolina was coming into town to play last season.

Howie. What a guy!

Look on the bright side, your next head coaching candidate is already waiting in the lobby.

swaychip2.gif

;)

I'm still sort of shocked how the whole Chip firing process played out.

Chip is the best option out there and should never have been fired. Lurie basically fired him in a fit of rage and to protect his boy Howie with no real plan in place to replace.

I can't wait to see how they spin for whoever they hire. "We always wanted Shurmur has our top guy! We just wasted 8 hours with Gase for no reason!"

minx

How are you doing officer minx?

I am doing great, and yourself? Thanks for asking. Any xboners going to be downloading the Plants vs zombies Garden Warfare 2 beta for this weekend? We must play, the first one was great.

I also see Kas is back to being delusional again. Good stuff.

Howie. What a guy!

Chip is the best option out there and should never have been fired. Lurie basically fired him in a fit of rage and to protect his boy Howie with no real plan in place to replace.

I can't wait to see how they spin for whoever they hire. "We always wanted Shurmur has our top guy! We just wasted 8 hours with Gase for no reason!"
Yeah firing Chip with a game left on the season, then saying they wanted a jump start on the hiring process, only to be left with an empty bag... Looks ugly for the Eagles.

Godslay

Banned
I don't think that outplaying a guy, getting physical with him, cutting his legs out on screens is much of a revenge plan or a bounty. Sounds like football to me.

I hope that we don't get the shit show that was the Bengals and Steelers game, simply because as we saw last week the Steelers will take advantage of your mental weaknesses in order to just win baby.

I am doing great, and yourself? Thanks for asking. Any xboners going to be downloading the Plants vs zombies Garden Warfare 2 beta for this weekend? We must play, the first one was great.

Could be worse.

My brother has an Xbone. He doesn't have a mic or anything like that. I like my PS4.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

It's called confidence, minx. When you have a 27 year old franchise QB hitting his prime steering your ship, you'd be confident too.

Some #jaktrivia

Matthew Stafford was #1 in Red Zone Completion Percentage, #2 in Redzone QBR. Did not throw one pick in the redzone this season.

Edit: May get on the Xbox One later tonight for some Halo. I DLed Killer Instinct and finally accepted the fact I will always suck at fighting games.

Bowser

Feel bad for guys like McDermott and Patricia - first of all, a lot of people attribute their success to the HC (hard to dispute). But second, teams just don't want defensive candidates as HC, period:

Giants: OC McAdoo
Browns: OC Jackson
Phins: OC Gase
Bucs: OC Koetter (frontrunner)
49ers: Shanahan, Coughlin, Kelly (all made their way up as offensive gurus)
Eagles: Pederson (KC OC), Shurmer (PHI OC), Coughlin
Titans: Mularkey (frontrunner) who has held various TE, OC, and HC positions

Literally the ONLY DC candidates to have even gotten interviews this coaching cycle are Teryl Austin, Matt Patricia, and McDermott if I recall correctly. Teams just don't want a defensive guy as HC right now.

Top Bottom