• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

Chip could be a good fit with Kap. Threat of a running QB is important for his offense. It's also so simple that Kap's dumbass can probably grasp it. Just give him a single hi/lo read and if it's not there take off.

Miners would save 8.5 mil to cut Kap. 16 mil to keep him.

Gigglepoo

Isn't Kaep's contract structured in a very team friendly manner? They could cut him and not have it hurt their cap much.

Yeah, he makes a lot per season but with smallish penalty if he's cut. I really hope we keep him, though. He's going to be great somewhere...

effzee

Depends on what you believe.

Chip claimed they were trying to do the trade without having to move Foles.

Wanted Foles v Bradford in camp.

Titans job last one open? Or bucs still don't have a coach?

Thank you friend for making the correct assumption that our accountant is both GM and coach now.

Chip won't have a problem. Tom Gamble, the man who Chip brought with him when he joined the Eagles and the one who had a hand in rebuilding the 49ers when Harbaugh took over, was fired by Howie and is back with the 49ers.

Tom is probably the big reason he got hired. So Chip won't be vying for personnel power when he has a trusted mind there already.

8zXMSoE.jpg
Did you screen cap this? Hmmm 20+ on the me tab...

effzee

So 49ers are going to be what I thought and hoped Eagles would be.

Chip at HC, Gamble in FO, and Kaep at QB.

Good job Lurie. Can't wait for Pederson!

Not even the Rams were dumb enough to take Sanchez off their hands.

Sanchez was a good sign. Quality back up. He was never part of the plans for finding a starter.

Chip claimed he wanted to do the trade with just picks but Rams insisted on Foles. Who knows but I'll never knock him or the Eagles keeping Sanchez as a back up.

LevelNth

Banned
I can't tell if I'm excited or disappointed that Chip signed, I never really evaluated/paid attention to him as just a coach his first two years. All I remember is the Eagles roster was very meh, and he never had a good QB.

His solo personnel decisions are horrendous but that won't even be a factor here with Baalke and Gamble. I'm most curious to see his DC pick.

Is this good?

I can't tell if I'm excited or disappointed that Chip signed, I never really evaluated/paid attention to him as just a coach his first two years. All I remember is the Eagles roster was very meh, and he never had a good QB.

His solo personnel decisions are horrendous but that won't even be a factor here with Baalke and Gamble. I'm most curious to see his DC pick.

Is this good?

If he tries to hire Billy Davis kill him. Outside of that one thing this is an amazing hire for the 9ers. Chip is such a great coach, he will get that team competitive in no time at all.

kaiju

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Trent Baalke will maintain his power as the GM in charge of personnel. For the #49ers, Chip Kelly will just coach. Which is good.

So basically no crazy trade drama like last year.

I honestly have no idea what they are going to do with Kaep. Probably keep him.

eznark

Banned

Is this good?

He turned a good Eagles team into the current 49ers. The one benefit is that your team is already burned to the ground, so he can't do any real harm personnel wise.

I have no reason to think he can build a team though.

He turned a good Eagles team into the current 49ers. The one benefit is that your team is already burned to the ground, so he can't do any real harm personnel wise.

The Eagles were 4-12 when he took over. No I dont know about you, but I wouldnt call that a good team.

eznark

Banned
It's going to be really fun watching Kaepernick, who was unable to process standard play calls in the huddle in time to get the snap off in a reasonable amount of time struggle with going fast. I'm betting Chip will go to the full time no huddle with sideline cards route.

The Eagles were 4-12 when he took over. No I dont know about you, but I wouldnt call that a good team.
We've had this discussion many times. If you are interested in having it again go and find my posts and c/p them as replies.

I am thinking the Eagles want someone from a team that has not yet been eliminated as their HC, and that's why nothing has been announced.

That could mean McDermott, Patricia, McDaniels, Bevell, or Pederson are likely choices.

KingBroly

Banned
Reid's time had clearly run out in Philly. It's just how it is sometimes.

Kelly to the 49ers? LOLOLOLOL Kaepernick's gonna stay there now, isn't he?

effzee

He turned a 4-12 team into back to back 10 win team. He didn't take over a good Eagles team. No one in this world even knew who or what a Foles was.

Realized limitations and tried to change roster, especially to build up the D. One year in results had been terrible but he got 1 year and that's it. Even the worst coaches get more than 1 year especially after getting total control.

With the 49ers he already has the personnel guy who he wanted the Eagles to keep. The roster stinks as is so he will get more time to build a team rather than the 1 year he got with Lurie. And he might already have a good QB who fits his system best on the roster.

All in all, considering where the 49ers were just at before this hire, I don't see how this isn't a great hiring or something to be excited about. Who else was going to come in this off season? Shanny?

Chip could be a good fit with Kap. Threat of a running QB is important for his offense. It's also so simple that Kap's dumbass can probably grasp it. Just give him a single hi/lo read and if it's not there take off.

Miners would save 8.5 mil to cut Kap. 16 mil to keep him.

I don't know why people think threat of a running QB is what Chip was lacking.

What Chip was lacking was a QB who could hit a pass more than 5 yards down the field. His Oregon QBs were all accurate/quick in mid to short range but able to throw deep down field. The offense was basically side to side power run and then when people creep up take deep shots. He could be successful with a non running QB as long as that QB can throw deep.

It's going to be really fun watching Kaepernick, who was unable to process standard play calls in the huddle in time to get the snap off in a reasonable amount of time struggle with going fast. I'm betting Chip will go to the full time no huddle with sideline cards route.

We've had this discussion many times. If you are interested in having it again go and find my posts and c/p them as replies.

In fairness Chip's QBs at Oregon outside of Mariota weren't exactly brilliant minds. Masoli and Darron Thomas will never be mistaken for Dan Marino in terms of QB acumen.

Between him and Shanahan, I'm glad we hired Chip I guess. I'm curious how the FO will handle Kap. On the surface it looks as though they'll just keep him, but there are a lot of burned bridges between him and the FO at this point.

Godslay

Banned
Reid's time had clearly run out in Philly. It's just how it is sometimes.

Kelly to the 49ers? LOLOLOLOL Kaepernick's gonna stay there now, isn't he?

If they let him go they eat $7.4M, but if he stays he eats up a pretty significant portion of the cap as well $15.89M if he stays for the year.

Will be interesting to see what they do.

Chip!

I love this hire. It's going to be a disaster

Feels that way doesn't it?

LevelNth

Banned
I won't be surprised at all to see Gabbert start the year. Kap's faults really reared their head this past season and now his body is breaking down.

Maybe he gets another year, but I won't be shocked if he's still gone. I'm not sure he has anything left to salvage.

Doomsayer

I don't know why people think threat of a running QB is what Chip was lacking.

What Chip was lacking was a QB who could hit a pass more than 5 yards down the field. His Oregon QBs were all accurate/quick in mid to short range but able to throw deep down field. The offense was basically side to side power run and then when people creep up take deep shots. He could be successful with a non running QB as long as that QB can throw deep.

This past year was pretty bad for Kap, but he's always thrown a pretty good deep ball. I thought most of Chips offense was built around intermediate passes though, which is what Kap REALLY struggles doing. I'm interested to see where this goes, but I can't imagine it being very good.

eznark

Banned
Between him and Shanahan, I'm glad we hired Chip I guess. I'm curious how the FO will handle Kap. On the surface it looks as though they'll just keep him, but there are a lot of burned bridges between him and the FO at this point.

If they don't say "Kaepernick will be coming back next season" at Chip's press conference it's probably a safe bet they are moving on.

effzee

The Eagles were asking him to just coach, he said no, got Fired, damn Philly must be a shitty place to work...

???

Ask Reid how much he loved it there and wanted to stay. Chip didn't want to leave either.

And according to Lurie he never offered Chip a chance to stay. It was a straight up firing all because Chip and Lurie's boy Howie couldn't get along.

McDaniels has the highest risk/reward. He's the smart bet.

No way he even considers Philly. I said it before, Patriots coaches look for Bill's approval when they leave.

Bill and Chip are super close and Bill took some shots at Lurie when Chip was fired. If Josh listens to him for advice, no way he considers the Eagles.

gutshot

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
As he plotted potential moves & his next @NFL stop, Chip Kelly was trying to figure out how to trade for/sign Colin Kaepernick. No need now.

Jesus Christ, Lurie, you dumbass. We could have had Chip and Kaep this season. Instead we're going to end up with Pederson and Bradford. ResidentSleeper

Did Ben really say that?

Why do you have your profile locked? Not using it?
Stalker. I have all my social media private, maybe just paranoid but I'm applying for jobs and stuff. Not that's there's anything bad up. Just made it private instead of deleting it, if you can't tell I barely use it anyway.

squicken

Part of why I like Chip is that he is smart enough to adapt. He couldn't chuck his whole offense on the fly, but they did start slowing down. Gave up on featuring inside zone when it was clear the guards couldn't block it. He obviously made mistakes, and I think he learns from them. I wouldn't expect tempo tempo tempo in SF

He has to get better at press conferences. That sounds dumb but he really is awful at them. He says stuff that kinda sorta will blame players for things that he will then walk back a couple days later. Also needs to be more flexible on what defense he will run. Davis was awful, but he was running the defense Chip wanted. They may have been better served with more 1 gap and zone with their personnel

This past year was pretty bad for Kap, but he's always thrown a pretty good deep ball. I thought most of Chips offense was built around intermediate passes though, which is what Kap REALLY struggles doing. I'm interested to see where this goes, but I can't imagine it being very good.

Right, Kelly wants a QB who can complete 60%+ of his short to mid range throws and be able to hit a deep ball when they are there.

QB run is just a bonus for him really.

Top Bottom