• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

Gigglepoo

Yes, he has gotten worse every year he has been in the league, as he has been asked to do more. Is that a selling point?

I'll take a chance on a guy who was great on the biggest stage. Imagine if the Cards were like "Kurt Warner got worse every year since his Super Bowl win." When the talent is there, it's worth rolling the dice.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm not as optimistic as many of you. If Kap does indeed stay this year, I'm calling before Week 10 he's replaced by Gabbert as the starter, if he even wins the job in camp to start.

Gigglepoo

I'm not as optimistic as many of you. If Kap does indeed stay this year, I'm calling before Week 10 he's replaced by Gabbert as the starter, if he even wins the job in camp to start.

There's certainly a chance that could happen. But there's also a chance he regains the form that carried them to the Super Bowl. People saying we should give up on Kaep obviously haven't looked at the QB landscape recently.

squicken

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami
Jed and Paraag spent several months bashing Colin Kaepernick and now they're telling favored national reporters that they're saving him???

There was also a report that Kaep found out when the reporter contacted him. So idk. Chip's press conference will be really interesting. Hopefully they have mended fences with Kaep if he's going to be their guy

LevelNth

Banned
Chip couldn't turn Bradford into an average qb, how is he going to turn Kaep into one?
IMO it can't even be unequivocally stated that Kap is even better than Bradford to boot.

e: Kawakami is getting quoted here? Please don't, he is nothing but a twitter hack and continuously just makes up vague nonsense and unverifiable conjecture. He's not worth listening to for even a second.

eznark

Banned
The offensive side has a few potentials, but it is definitely in need of a massive influx. Defensively the team is really young but has quite a few players that continued to improve this season, and I think will impress next year.

Niners have roughly $50m I think now that all the retirements are washed.

Oh sure, I just meant there is no highly paid superstar. Kaepernick is easily their biggest cap hog.

Also, his contract is complicated. It seems like they either cut him before June 1 and eat $7m in cap space or keep him, have to pay him the $12m he is owed while he eats up $16m in cap space.

Then, in 2017 he is essentially roster poison. His roster guarantee is $14.5 and his cap hit will be $19.5m.

So they can cut Kaep now and eat 7.4m of cap space or pay him $16m and still essentially have to cut him in 2017 and eat $4.9m in cap space.

Essentially they'd be keeping Kap to save $2.1m in cap space over two years, while paying him over $15m.

The other interesting thing they could do, it appears, is pay him the roster guarantee of $12m and cut him on June 1st. His cap number is then reduced to $2.4m I have no idea why.

effzee

Gotta give Chip credit for not tucking tail and running back to college.

Much like some experts who claims who couldn't win in the NFL, this was also just thrown out there cause apparently after 2 10 win seasons and only 1 bad year Chip proved he couldn't win in the NFL and would just run back to college.

Kaep contract stuff.

Or couldn't they restructure him if starting over and fresh?

ed: ^^ This is the offseason thread

@seattlerams_nfl
NFC West Coaches last 3 yrs

P Carroll: 35-13 3 playoffs, 2 SB, 1 title
B Arians: 34-14 2 playoffs
C Kelly: 26-21 1 playoff
J Fisher: 20-28

eznark

Banned
I assume they have language in there that a portion of the prorated signing bonus is converted to guaranteed money if he is cut after June 1st.

Yeah but I don't think they'll be able to make it much more cap friendly. There is only $6.5m left on the signing bonus. Not a lot to restructure.

Godslay

Banned
Oh sure, I just meant there is no highly paid superstar. Kaepernick is easily their biggest cap hog.

Also, his contract is complicated. It seems like they either cut him before June 1 and eat $7m in cap space or keep him, have to pay him the $12m he is owed while he eats up $16m in cap space.

Then, in 2017 he is essentially roster poison. His roster guarantee is $14.5 and his cap hit will be $19.5m.

So they can cut Kaep now and eat 7.4m of cap space or pay him $16m and still essentially have to cut him in 2017 and eat $4.9m in cap space.

Essentially they'd be keeping Kap to save $2.1m in cap space over two years, while paying him over $15m.

The other interesting thing they could do, it appears, is pay him the roster guarantee of $12m and cut him on June 1st. His cap number is then reduced to $2.4m I have no idea why.

His dead cap hit would reduce from $7.397M to $4.931M if they payed him this year and then cut him.

His dead cap hits are basically the sum of his remaining years of signing bonuses. So if they pay him this year, reduce that dead cap by $2.465M. They'd pay him $15.897M which is base salary + signing bonus + roster bonus + work out bonus, only the signing bonus would reduce the dead cap hit though.

$7.937M = 3 years of $2.465M

tmdorsey

I think it's just a temporary mental block with Kaep. The dropoff between the Superbowl year and now is just too great, IMO. I would give him one more shot and let Chip see what he could with him. This is on the assumption that Chip wants to work with him of course.

LevelNth

Banned

To sum up, exactly. The back half of Kap's contract is not great for the Niners, hence why the year to year aspect was huge. Next year isn't even that bad, it's the following few that are brutal.

So, it's not just whether Kap can salvage his career and come back from being pretty much one of the worst QBs I've watched play in a good long while, but whether he could pull a strong enough 180 to also be worth the massive money he's owed.

Could it happen? Sure, just as it could've happened that I won the powerball last night.

eznark

Banned
His dead cap hit would reduce from $7.397M to $4.931M if they payed him this year and then cut him.

His dead cap hits are basically the sum of his remaining years of signing bonuses. So if they pay him this year, reduce that dead cap by $2.465M. They'd pay him $15.897M which is base salary + signing bonus + roster bonus + work out bonus, only the signing bonus would reduce the dead cap hit though.

$7.937M = 3 years of $2.465M

Right, the "I have no idea why" was aimed at his agent, who had to agree to that salary being converted to signing bonus which makes the contract so much more team friendly.

I do not believe that is SOP.

To sum up, exactly. The back half of Kap's contract is not great for the Niners, hence why the year to year aspect was huge. Next year isn't even that bad, it's the following few that are brutal.

So, it's not just whether Kap can salvage his career and come back from being pretty much one of the worst QBs I've watched play in a good long while, but whether he could pull a strong enough 180 to also be worth the massive money he's owed.

Could it happen? Sure, just as it could've happened that I won the powerball last night.

Yeah, that's kind of the thing. Even if he plays like...125% better in 2016 than the best he has ever played he still isn't worth the 2017 contract. And expecting that in a year he'll be learning a new offense (given he still has no idea how to run the offense he is in) is a stretch. It's essentially wasting a year of Chip. Unless they have literally no one else.

It's a tough spot. I assume when they agreed to the contract they figured Kaep would play well and the team would be successful and both parties would be happy to restructure into a more standard contract. OR he would suck and they would cut him.

This kind of puts them in limbo.

effzee

As long as Chip doesn't hire Billy Davis, 49ers will be fine.

Also Chip stays winning. First just helped Saban & Bama win a national title, a new job with probably the best QB (assuming he wants Kaep) he has had to work in the NFL, and gets to work with a Tom Gamble.

Mr. Lurie any luck finding that coach you were looking for?

The fake Revolution has come to the NFC Best! Still surprised he didn't push extra hard for TEN. What QB does he think he can work with on SF's roster? Kap? JNC!

Much like some experts who claims who couldn't win in the NFL, this was also just thrown out there cause apparently after 2 10 win seasons and only 1 bad year Chip proved he couldn't win in the NFL and would just run back to college.

He does tend to get crapped on more for what is actually his GM failures but it doesn't change the fact that the locker room turned on him. Hard to trust the guy in any capacity but if he can turn around the Niner dumpster fire, be sure that he'll finally get respect. Unfortunately for him, Tomsula was set up to fail and still got canned after one season. How long does Chip last there? Granted, a profile like Chip would get more credence than Tomsula and there could be other factors that led to sula's firing but certainly doesn't look like a great opportunity.

Ben's quotes are all the worst.

He would never admit the other guy was dirty or that the Steelers are going to ever win.

He purposefully keeps his quotes vanilla and generally they are stupid. Probably because of how he would get burned in the past for saying crazy shit. Love that local media.

I just think Ben's a man about things. He's not a fucking crybaby, shit head, scum sucking fuck face like most of the Bungholes and their worthless human garbage fans. He's not going to bitch, whine, complain, and piss his diapers about the other team.

cdyhybrid

Baalke is talent > Character. Chip is the opposite. Guys like Aaron Lynch, Carlos Hyde, Tartt were not on Phillys draft board -@JohnMiddlekauff

squicken

John Breitenbach ‏@PFF_John
Evan Mathis gave up 5 SKs & 18 hits in 4 years with the Eagles. Matt Tobin gave up 8 SKs & 11 hits in 2015 alone.

Dunno state of SF's guards, but there is no way they are worse than what Philly had

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@SandoESPN
#Eagles D played #NFL-high 3411 snaps in 3 seasons under Kelly. Other teams averaged 3085. That's an extra 1.7 games per season over avg.

I really hope Chip plans on being more selective with the tempo stuff

Godslay

Banned
Right, the "I have no idea why" was aimed at his agent, who had to agree to that salary being converted to signing bonus which makes the contract so much more team friendly.

I do not believe that is SOP.

Sure. Kap got his money right away so it all works out. A portion of which the agent got right away too. The more they can convert into signing bonuses the better because it's pretty much guaranteed money for the player. Cash in hand essentially. The team gets the benefit of spreading it out over the years of the contract for cap purposes, but it can also burn them if they don't keep him around.

Baalke is talent > Character. Chip is the opposite. Guys like Aaron Lynch, Carlos Hyde, Tartt were not on Phillys draft board -@JohnMiddlekauff

I didn't know Carlos Hyde had character issues...

How's this year's QB class anyways? I don't know much about any prospect other than Goff (who isn't exactly a blue chipper either).

Top Bottom