• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Divisional |OT| - A Fraud Divided

effzee

Looks like Reid was more pass happy by the numbers, as a percentage of total calls in the offense.

I agree that Reid's time was up. There is a certain fatigue after awhile for team and coach alike. It was time to move on.

Yup and I would have been fine if Reid passed 100% of the time if they ever had the QB and WRs to run that type of offense. I loved McNabb buthe he needed the Run game and WRs like TO.

Point here is not that Reid liked to pass but that he never had the QB or weapons to make that work.

He doesn't force that on Alex Smith and he seems to have made adjustments, besides 2 min clock management, overall for the bettr.

FTF

I liked our chances against anyone in the AFC if healthy.

We would struggle to beat the Browns without our RB, QB, and AB though. We would still win because Ohio but it wouldn't be easy.

I am worried...

Any given Sunday...just look at the Colts beating the Broncos in the playoffs last year, that could be Pitt on Sunday!

Godslay

Banned
See: Coughlin, Tom

Same thing happened with Shanahan.

It's just a general malaise that comes over the franchise and it stagnates.

Sometimes you need new blood and ideas, even if the guy you let go is very talented.

Any given Sunday...just look at the Colts beating the Broncos in the playoffs last year, that could be Pitt on Sunday!

Could be KC too, right?

eznark

Banned
"not doing the math" = being wrong.

Reid fluctuated between 57% and - 65% and he went over 60% several years.

Kelly fluctuated between 53% - 60%, and that's with the run game being complete shit this year.

Those aren't the same numbers. Reid passed the ball more, it's not debatable.

57% vs. 58.8%

I can see why you noticed the massive difference!

effzee

No hope of that unfortunately. People would much rather judge a hire before the guy has even had a chance to put together his staff, let alone coach a game. I can only imagine what the reaction would have been to Reid's hiring if GAF existed back then.

I wasn't here but I remember liking the Reid pick. He was a unknown, but there was a lot on him about his work with Favre, how prepared he was ( he came with a giant binder full of a 5 year plan & coordinators he would hire).

Keep also in mind at that time Eagles weren't in as good of a shape in terms of profile.

Point here is that while that pick was daring, it was a well thought out pick.

This is settling on someone no on else has ever shown any interest in and reeks of a hire to pacify Howie and to somehow recreate the Reid era without the actual real ingredients (McNabb, strong D, and Reid himself).

BigAT

Has Dragon posted since I asked him if he saw the JLaw nudes?

He hadn't heard about them before.

wBe4W.png

squicken

Hopefully we retain Shurmur and Bradford can flourish next season. The one positive of it all is that Bradford is probably back.

Really? If I was betting money I'd have him in SF over Philly. Philly is not going to franchise him. He is a free agent. It's time to stop thinking of him as the Eagles incumbent QB

Philly needs to rebuild. Draft a QB, play Sanchez, and remake the roster. It's not a good team that is ready to contend. They need to manage expectations, though. Lurie needs to make it clear he is letting the coach/GM have 3 years to turn it around

Godslay

Banned
57% vs. 58.8%

Since I can't find numbers before 2003 this is what I was able to get:

Passing as Percentage of Offense

Reid
2003 - 2012

2003: 56.88%
2004: 60.75%
2005: 64.56%
2006: 57.66%
2007: 59.79%
2008: 60.35%
2009: 61.49%
2010: 59.11%
2011: 56.66%
2012: 61.72%

Average over 10 years: 59.89%

Season High: 64.56%
Season Low: 56.66%

Chip
2013 - 2015

2013: 52.97%
2014: 57.82%
2015: 59.84%

Average over 3 years: 56.87%

Season High: 59.84%
Season Low 52.97%

Difference between the two on average: +3.02% Reid
Difference between highest seasons: +4.72% Reid
Difference between lowest seasons: +3.69% Reid

eznark

Banned
Since I can't find numbers before 2003 this is what I was able to get:

Passing as Percentage of Offense

Reid
2003 - 2012

2003: 56.88%
2004: 60.75%
2005: 64.56%
2006: 57.66%
2007: 59.79%
2008: 60.35%
2009: 61.49%
2010: 59.11%
2011: 56.66%
2012: 61.72%

Average over 10 years: 59.89%

Season High: 64.56%
Season Low: 56.66%

Chip
2013 - 2015

2013: 52.97%
2014: 57.82%
2015: 59.84%

Average over 3 years: 56.87%

Season High: 59.84%
Season Low 52.97%

Difference between the two on average: +3.02% Reid
Difference between highest seasons: +4.72% Reid
Difference between lowest seasons: +3.69% Reid

Thank you for double checking my work and getting the same 3%, friend! (just notice I mistyped Reid's)

effzee

57% vs. 58.8%

Don't know what it is you are getting at but as usual you keep missing the point. Reid could have passed 100% of the time for all I care but he never had the team or weapons to do so.

Chip being passing a lot with DeSean then Maclin is a lot different than Reid who did it no matter who at WR, what shape the OLINE was in, and what the game situation called for. That was a Reid trademark which all Eagles fans were aware of. It was always discussed by the local media guys and always a point of discussion sort of like poor time management.

The whole point of bringing it up was that it was an example of how Reid never adjusted. He always had the benefit of great RBs, but clearly under used them.

Classic example was the Giants Eagles game where Eagles were starting a back up left tackle, were down at most 3 points, and McNabb was getting sacked repeatedly. Also Buckhalter, the RB, had 100 yards rushing in the first half alone. Andy completely ignored the run and McNabb got sacked 10+ times.

Or the 100s of times the Eagles had 3rd and 2 or less and he would always call a pass, usually to a FB.

squicken

A guy I have always liked was Chase Daniel. I don't think he's going to be a great QB or anything, but he's certainly got a chance to be a good bridge-QB. Maybe he comes over to Philly along w/Pederson? He is a free agent

Pepiope

Really? If I was betting money I'd have him in SF over Philly. Philly is not going to franchise him. He is a free agent. It's time to stop thinking of him as the Eagles incumbent QB

Philly needs to rebuild. Draft a QB, play Sanchez, and remake the roster. It's not a good team that is ready to contend. They need to manage expectations, though. Lurie needs to make it clear he is letting the coach/GM have 3 years to turn it around
Chip is fine with Kaep, and if Shurmur stays I'm pretty sure Bradford would want to stick around as well. The main thing he wanted was continuity, and with Shurmur, he'd get some of that.
Chip is gonna snatch your precious little Captain Checkdown out from under you.
Chip has Kaep, guy.

This is the least convincing post I have ever seen...

Our division is like Mad Max so you are probably right.

I know how terrible the browns are and I know there is still more talent on the steelers than on the browns.

OK read very slowly. He cut Desean but they still had Maclin. Then he drafted Jordan Mathews who has set Eagles receiver records as a rookie opposite Maclin. BTW Cooper was a Reid draft pick.

And the DeSean cut was terrible as we can see. He helped the Racists win the division where as your best WR threat was Riley Cooper who was still better than Chip's WR pick in Nelson Agholar.

He didn't trade Maclin. Maclin came off an ACL tear (the 2nd of his career) and they tried to lock him up long time but he banked on himself and played his butt off. He took more money in FA and to play at home in KC. He left as a FA wasn't traded. Eagles thought they had him signed and KC signed him away at the last minute for more money.

Again he wasn't traded.

And again was let go and went to KC.. You know when Chipper there had full control from Howie and could have kept him if he made a good deal or you know actually tried to manage his players. But decided to go play for his old coach and his hometown team instead of staying at a team he played his entire career.

I thought the smoothies were magic? They didn't work on Jeremy but were going to work on Sam. Does Melanin play a part or something?

It was 1 season. Repeat after me. 1 season. Most GMs, coaches, and regimes aren't judged by just one bad off season.

And for the millionth time that was the excuse, the real reason was the FO power struggle. This isn't the first coach or FO shake up caused by Howie.

Correct it was one bad season like Andy had when you all canned him after the last bad season and he took your franchise further than you all had under Chip.

And even if Howie played a role (which I will take your word for it.), you think Chip would make sure that he would, you know, not fuck up.

Deep is wild card win?

Sure.. Considering y'all are sitting at home on the couch trying to scramble to put something together.

And I said poised as they are one game away from playing for the AFC Championship. Potentially two games away from the Super Bowl.

effzee

Yeah I don't want Bradford back now. First of all Reid Jr is going to run a traditional west coast offense. Bradford just got comfortable learning Chip's system and now would have to learn another system.

I'd rather take this for what it is, a complete rebuild and draft a QB. If they want Reid 2.0, then let's stop trying to rebuild on the fly and draft a QB early and develop.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Been looking for some new Matthew Stafford gifs I haven't used, and I'm pretty sure I've used all of them. Decided to go back to his W over the Cowboys in 2011 when we were down 20 at Dallas going into halftime.

tumblr_ltskzbLZyw1qemxv9o1_400.gif

tumblr_m1rdl7bUWu1r9kk3io2_250.gif

The draft, hell the coaching decisions, can't come soon enough.

FTF

Same thing happened with Shanahan.

It's just a general malaise that comes over the franchise and it stagnates.

Sometimes you need new blood and ideas, even if the guy you let go is very talented.

Could be KC too, right?

KC/Pats game is a legit toss up, Pitt needs the any given Sunday more.

bionic77

KC/Pats game is a legit toss up, Pitt needs the any given Sunday more.
I think Pats are big favorites unless KC explodes out of the gate.

Fuckery will happen in a Reid playoff game. You can bet on it.

No idea who wins but probably the pats. No matter what my heart wants.

eznark

Banned
Glad we all agree Reid is more pass happy.

Overwhelmingly so. The original complaint being that Reid "is the most pass happy coach in football history" (If I tell you I am going to do the math will you just do it for me?) I can see why Eagles fans would be so thrilled to have a guy who passed 2.8% less often per year that the Hitler of passing. It's pretty unlikely to be true, given that he never led the league and was never really an outlier. Maybe he wins on aggregate though.

If nothing else this exercise was excellent to see just how often Detroit led the league in pass percentage. I wish there was a SAFR that was interested in publishing writing about this stuff.

Pepiope

Louis RiddickVerified account
‏@LRiddickESPN
Have spent many hours talking ball w/Doug & having him teach me QB play/evaluate college & pro QB's. IF given what he needs, he'll succeed.

BAM.

MechDX

Louis RiddickVerified account
‏@LRiddickESPN
Have spent many hours talking ball w/Doug & having him teach me QB play/evaluate college & pro QB's. IF given what he needs, he'll succeed.

BAM.

Stopped following Riddick on Twitter because he was a self promoting blowhard

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Overwhelmingly so. The original complaint being that Reid "is the most pass happy coach in football history" (If I tell you I am going to do the math will you just do it for me?) I can see why Eagles fans would be so thrilled to have a guy who passed 2.8% less often per year that the Hitler of passing. It's pretty unlikely to be true, given that he never led the league and was never really an outlier. Maybe he wins on aggregate though.

If nothing else this exercise was excellent to see just how often Detroit led the league in pass percentage. I wish there was a SAFR that was interested in publishing writing about this stuff.

Got ya covered fam

Lions a Top 10 NFL team since 2012? Don't laugh

The Detroit Lions went 29-35 the past four seasons.

Yet somehow, according to one trusted metric, they were one of the NFL's top 10 most dominant teams in that span.

Football Outsiders creator Aaron Schatz wrote a column on ESPN this week, ranking the top 10 most dominant NFL teams of the past four seasons, dating back to 2012. He uses a metric called DVOA, which "measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent."

"The Lions as one of the top 10 franchises of the past four years? Though their win totals have bounced up and down, the Lions have been shockingly consistent according to DVOA," Schatz explained. "The 2012 team finished 4-12 due to a tough schedule and close losses, but ended up 16th in DVOA. The Lions improved to 7-9 the next year, but ranked 16th again. The 2014 team made the playoffs thanks to an easy schedule and close wins, but ranked only 14th in DVOA.

In other words, unlike many other NFL teams since 2012, the Lions have been consistent, largely in terms of beating the teams they're supposed to beat and, well, losing to teams they're supposed to lose to.

More at the link

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/14/detroit-lions-rankings/78803816/

Had to Google what SAFR meant

Top Bottom