• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 11 |OT| - A Fraud‘s Time

I think passer rating is better because it doesn't try to tell too much about a performance, simply a rating of the qb's passing, nothing else.

If a qb takes too many sacks, or fumbles too much, that's easily tracked with separate stats.

I don't need qbr to tell me that tanehill fumbles a lot (9 times each of first 3 seasons, on pace for more this year).
I agree. There is a point where one stat is trying to summarize too many other stats. It's watered down to the point of irrelevance.

squicken

I think they have since changed it, but initially there were times a quarterback's QBR could and would change when he wasn't even on the field.

The used to have a "clutch" factor that they have removed, since using WP already they were double counting it. I don't know if they went out and adjusted things retroactively or not.

As for Stafford vs Flynn, I don't remember that game as fully as fans would. But the metric prefers air yards to catch and run. Stat guys give YAC to the WRs. Throwing for 12 yards on 3rd and 15 doesn't count for much either, not that Flynn did that

So my guess is 40 yard prayer balls to Megatron favored Stafford over short passes to Jordy

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
But does yac take into account whether a reciever has an open path to the endzone or has to break or elide tackles? What if that short pass to nelson has an easy open 20 yards in front of him because of the play call or pre snap adjustments by the qb? I'd be more impressed by that than throwing up a ball for the receiver to jump up and get.

jmdajr

Matt Schaub with an 89.5 rating is better than...

Carson Palmer
Andy Dalton
Brett Farve
Jay Cutler
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Joe Flacco
Matt Stafford
Eli Manning
Alex Smith

eznark

Banned
The used to have a "clutch" factor that they have removed, since using WP already they were double counting it. I don't know if they went out and adjusted things retroactively or not.

As for Stafford vs Flynn, I don't remember that game as fully as fans would. But the metric prefers air yards to catch and run. Stat guys give YAC to the WRs. Throwing for 12 yards on 3rd and 15 doesn't count for much either, not that Flynn did that

So my guess is 40 yard prayer balls to Megatron favored Stafford over short passes to Jordy

They still clutch weight every stat.

Flynn was 5/7 for 165 yards and 2 TD's on deep throws.

Stafford was 11/18 for 256 yards 0 TD's and 2 ints on deep throws.

Good stat, that QBR!

But does yac take into account whether a reciever has an open path to the endzone or has to break or elide tackles? What if that short pass to nelson has an easy open 20 yards in front of him because of the play call or pre snap adjustments by the qb? I'd be more impressed by that than throwing up a ball for the receiver to jump up and get.
Palazalolo has specifically said that he doesn't think QB ball placement has anything whatsoever to do with YAC and therefore PFF does not give the QB any credit for ball placement in terms of YAC.

Crisco

Banned
Football is probably the hardest sport to apply any kind of statistical measure to that produces reliable outcomes. Sample size is too small and there are too many factors to take into account. Fools errand.

eznark

Banned
Matt Schaub with an 89.5 rating is better than...

Carson Palmer
Andy Dalton
Brett Farve
Jay Cutler
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Joe Flacco
Matt Stafford
Eli Manning
Alex Smith

According to squicken this means Matt Schaub should have won 89.5% of his games. Matt Schaub was won 51.1% of his games.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Snoopy Dogg has some custom kicks.

screen-shot-2015-11-09-at-10-48-11-am.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Palazalolo has specifically said that he doesn't think QB ball placement has anything whatsoever to do with YAC and therefore PFF does not give the QB any credit for ball placement in terms of YAC.

I really don't know what to think of this.

squicken

Me on QB stats: We all saw Flacco's SB run. None of us think it was anything that belongs on any great all time list, no matter what the stats say. We know it was luck. That doesn't mean we ignore stats.

Gave me a heart attack! This isn't new news. Right now he is in the concussion protocol. Shoulder is the non-throwing and it's just a pain issue. The reason he would miss two weeks is the quick turnaround b/c of the Thanksgiving game. But he might practice tomorrow and then play. No one knows b/c teams are all secret like about injuries

eznark

Banned
Gave me a heart attack! This isn't new news. Right now he is in the concussion protocol. Shoulder is the non-throwing and it's just a pain issue. The reason he would miss two weeks is the quick turnaround b/c of the Thanksgiving game. But he might practice tomorrow and then play. No one knows b/c teams are all secret like about injuries

Why would it give you a heart attack? By your metric he is the second worst QB in football this year.

I cheer for the Eagles b/c I am a Bradford fan and his post indicated there was some new, negative, development?

Yeah nothing has changed at all with Bradford. If not for the concusion he would be playing this week. Hopefully that clears up quick cause the Eagles really need him. People were saying that buttfumble was okay last year, but that was with Wr's and that was also compared to Foles. Bradford is several orders of magnitude better then Foles.

what's his gaf name?

Based on his opinions on other things it's either Bread or Gata

People want to go on and on about pineapples on pizza but this is the real travesty we need to unite against.

"I only eat meat with the flavor removed."

Will meat be the thing that unites NFL-Gaf??
Except for the pat fans, fuck them

Well done, medium, rare...it all gives you cancer!

Eat Broccoli!

I'm sure broccoli gives you cancer too!

Hire Bionic to sue him for trauma.

Would Bionic sue his own son?

squicken

Yeah nothing has changed at all with Bradford. If not for the concusion he would be playing this week. Hopefully that clears up quick cause the Eagles really need him. People were saying that buttfumble was okay last year, but that was with Wr's and that was also compared to Foles. Bradford is several orders of magnitude better then Foles.

It's funny b/c when Sanchez first came in, and Lane Johnson said this as well, they moved faster. He clearly is more comfortable with tempo. And they moved the ball pretty well too. But just like with Bradford, drops, penalties and Miles Austin ruined things.

If Sanchez had just been more patient, Cooper gets set and the Ertz TD is good. If he just throws the ball away, they kick a FG and probably win. Instead, he has ~35 snaps for 3 points. It's like if he could just remove those really bad negative plays, he'd be perfect for that offense. He's smart, aggressive, a good amount of mobility and a good enough arm. But they win if Bradford finishes that game and lose b/c Sanchez just can't get out of his own way

Milchjon

Doug Flutie's parents passed away in tragic fashion:

It is with a heavy heart that I am making this statement. This morning my family experienced the tragic loss of my father, Dick and mother, Joan. My Dad had been ill and died of a heart attack in the hospital and my Mom, less than an hour later had a sudden heart attack and passed away.

Also, I still love BB's breakdown videos.

It's funny b/c when Sanchez first came in, and Lane Johnson said this as well, they moved faster. He clearly is more comfortable with tempo. And they moved the ball pretty well too. But just like with Bradford, drops, penalties and Miles Austin ruined things.

If Sanchez had just been more patient, Cooper gets set and the Ertz TD is good. If he just throws the ball away, they kick a FG and probably win. Instead, he has ~35 snaps for 3 points. It's like if he could just remove those really bad negative plays, he'd be perfect for that offense. He's smart, aggressive, a good amount of mobility and a good enough arm. But they win if Bradford finishes that game and lose b/c Sanchez just can't get out of his own way

That is the perfect description of Sanchez. The whole time he is in the game I am just waiting for the huge screw up. It is not even his fault that austin cant do a toe drag, or the dumb penalties, but there was never a doubt that something stupid would happen once he came in. The coaches clearly dont trust him, and Chip made a point of it to call him out for the pass in the endzone. Just got to survive the next 2 weeks and hope that the Giants dont go on a run.

squicken

That is the perfect description of Sanchez. The whole time he is in the game I am just waiting for the huge screw up. It is not even his fault that austin cant do a toe drag, or the dumb penalties, but there was never a doubt that something stupid would happen once he came in. The coaches clearly dont trust him, and Chip made a point of it to call him out for the pass in the endzone. Just got to survive the next 2 weeks and hope that the Giants dont go on a run.

Saw something from one of the Philly papers that the Eagles lead the league in offensive holding a false starts. Lane and Kelce are pretty high up there among the leaders. Every game they have lost their OL has been thumped. Not sure it is inconsistency when it is such a fundamental beat down. Gerald McCoy can live in the backfield too

Saw something from one of the Philly papers that the Eagles lead the league in offensive holding a false starts. Lane and Kelce are pretty high up there among the leaders. Every game they have lost their OL has been thumped. Not sure it is inconsistency when it is such a fundamental beat down. Gerald McCoy can live in the backfield too

Yeah the OL is a disaster now. Sucks it started to come together, they had that 3-1 stretch that would have been 4-0 if not for the damn kicker, then Peters goes down and the line looks like they never played a game before against the Fins. Hopefully Peters will be back against the Bucs. They need Dennis Kelley to be sitting on the bench watching the game rather then playing.

Big Team Battle up now? Bead/Yankee/Kas/Mech/FMT, what are the odds that you lot can stop being girls in about 15 minutes and play some Halo?

0% for me. I am stuck at working trying to get caught up on my grading.

Top Bottom