• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

This is one of a laundry list of reasons why Mike Pettine should be fired.

He's just an absolute fucking garbage coach and just an asshole in general.

Pettine might be a lousy coach, but I think this is the right choice. You also don't know what other ultimatums the team gave him... Like, "we're giving you a chance to prove yourself over the next 6 weeks," and this is how he responds with it.

I think in this case it's good on Pettine. They wanted to see what they had in JM, and it's clear they have someone who is never going to be a leader or take his responsibilities seriously in the pros. It's time to draft another QB.

The CEO of my company approached me today and enthusiastically started raving about the pats. I was wearing my pats beanie.

That was awesome.

MechDX

The @HoustonTexans signed C Dalton Freeman and OLB Gerald Rivers to the practice squad and released QB Zac Dysert from the practice squad

The Dysert dream is dead.

The Weeden dream lives on!

I don't even care how well he did in college per se, I'm saying the reason the Browns and presumably the Cowboys were even thinking of drafting him high was because of who he played for. He does not have a pro skill set.

You really think teams were interested in him because he went to A&M?

xnipx

How exactly did Manziel fuck up? I mean I know he went to rehab and all but that doesn't mean he can never touch some champagne again in life.

Was he charged with something?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
How exactly did Manziel fuck up? I mean I know he went to rehab and all but that doesn't mean he can never touch some champagne again in life.

He murdered squickens dreams of him being a good qb.

give him a medal

xnipx

So how come Mariotta, Jameis, luck, Cam, Ryan, Russell are not all partying like a sophmore in college during the season ?

Oh wait because they are dedicated to their profession.

Players party all the time. Like literally the Friday before home games you can check any local club and you will find NFL players there. LIV in Miami is filled with players every Sunday.

This insane notion that professional athletes can't party and function is asinine.

Syrinx

Pretty hilarious to think of all the head coaching vacancies that will be available in the NFL and college next year and who the Browns will have to settle for since they're basically at the absolute bottom rung in terms of desirability.

MechDX

Players party all the time. Like literally the Friday before home games you can check any local club and you will find NFL players there. LIV in Miami is filled with players every Sunday.

This insane notion that professional athletes can't party and function is asinine.

QBs are a different story. Is what it is.

xnipx

QBs are a different story. Is what it is.

How are they different? Most QBs are boring as shit. When Vick was tearing up the league he hosted parties all the time. And his downfall had nothing to do with the fact that he was out partying.

Put a young rich charismatic outgoing person at QB and they will do what most young rich charismatic people do. The majority of QB's that start in the league are wholesome people who would never be out at a party anyway.

Furyous

This is one of a laundry list of reasons why Mike Pettine should be fired.

He's just an absolute fucking garbage coach and just an asshole in general.

Name a successful NFL franchise that fires coaches every two years. Don't worry I'll wait.

Johnny was demoted for a repeated pattern of behavior that shows he is not worthy of starting in this league. He somehow skated penalty for that incident with his girlfriend. Now he's partying when it's known he has alcohol issues. Playing in this league is a privilege that every QB takes serious except Johnny. Until that changes he is a third string quarterback.

This does not reflect on the Browns as far as Johnny's performance goes. However, it's clear we messed up by drafting him and Teddy is the better QB effective during the third preseason game of 2014.

So how come Mariotta, Jameis, luck, Cam, Ryan, Russell are not all partying like a sophmore in college during the season ?

Oh wait because they are dedicated to their profession.

BasedMech coming through with that poignant timely discourse. Then there's this as well. Cam focused on winning games and getting better. Russell, shorter than Johnny, has a league known insane work ethic meanwhile Johnny in Austin clubs partying instead of focusing on our next opponent.

Having Flacco as the default starter on Sunday
Having Schaub as the default starter on Monday
Having Clausen as the default backup on Tuesday

The fucking hardest of falls

You forgot

Having Steve McNair as the Starter
Having Troy Smith as the Starter
Having Flacco, etc, etc, but yes, it's been going downhill since 2006 at QB.

The @HoustonTexans signed C Dalton Freeman and OLB Gerald Rivers to the practice squad and released QB Zac Dysert from the practice squad

The Dysert dream is dead.

The Weeden dream lives on!

Dalton Freeman is the lovechild of Andy Dalton and Josh Freeman that they've been hiding for all these years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Name a successful NFL franchise that fires coaches every two years. Don't worry I'll wait.

Johnny was demoted for a repeated pattern of behavior that shows he is not worthy of starting in this league. He somehow skated penalty for that incident with his girlfriend. Now he's partying when it's known he has alcohol issues. Playing in this league is a privilege that every QB takes serious except Johnny. Until that changes he is a third string quarterback.

This does not reflect on the Browns as far as Johnny's performance goes. However, it's clear we messed up by drafting him and Teddy is the better QB effective during the third preseason game of 2014.

Say whatever you want about Manziel but Teddy has been really bad this year. Bottom 5 QB in the league awful. The love folks have for him isn't justified - Teddy isn't the best QB out of that class, hes not even the 2nd best QB out of that class.

Amendola injury minor. He could play next Broncos game.

I kind of don't want him to. I'd rather lose this week and have him rest up than rush him out.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Do people actually think JF8 is better than McCown? Getting difficult to separate the trolls from the chaff.

If I'm the Browns, I let the guy ride the pine and then treat him pretty much the same way for two more years. I don't understand what the incentive is to cut him. Keep a fire under his ass until he learns or you let him go at the end of his contractual obligation.

Manziel has had questions of his off-field conduct since the lead up to the draft. This exploded almost as soon as he was drafted. This continued into his rookie year. He had a horrible rookie year and looked unprepared for the NFL. He continued to be dogged by off-field conduct issues throughout his rookie year. He hit a "Reset" in the off season, going into rehab, and saying he was going to take his role more seriously. Shortly after rehab, he got hit with another DUI during the season, when he also got into a domestic altercation (which was later dropped). Shortly after that, he was photographed again partying at his college homecoming (which I think is forgivable). After the Browns struggle at QB all year, he's given the job at QB in a "prove it" role... Basically, he has 6 weeks to prove that he's worthy of being the starter of an NFL franchise. He plays decently in both games though the Browns are also blown out in both games, and then a week after being named the starter for the rest of the season, he's videotaped partying during the Browns bye week.

(let me know if I missed anything)

Manziel is clueless and shows that he has no interest in being an NFL starter. He's been benched because:

a) McCown isn't much worse
b) McCown is more well liked by coaches and seemingly now the owner
c) Browns are done with Johnny Manziel

But he's still being paid. Next Monday night, Manziel is going to be paid $16,000/hr to wear a pads and sit on the bench, this is on top of his $1m guaranteed bonus that was paid out at the start of this season.

How are they different? Most QBs are boring as shit. When Vick was tearing up the league he hosted parties all the time. And his downfall had nothing to do with the fact that he was out partying.

Put a young rich charismatic outgoing person at QB and they will do what most young rich charismatic people do. The majority of QB's that start in the league are wholesome people who would never be out at a party anyway.

Vick was also a star in the NFL, his team was successful, and he hadn't had repeated legal issues related to his partying. It's not like the league is suspending him or anything else, it's just the team has decided that he's not the leader of the football team. I don't think you can blame them for that. When he was named the starter, you can guarantee there were stiff stipulations around it... That this is his chance to prove himself and don't fuck up. There is a double standard for players. If Manziel was better than bad his partying would be a side story, like Rothlisberger's partying, Gronk's offseason partying, or Edelman getting drunk in the duck boats. It'd be a laughable off season story about young athletes ringing up major tabs at the bar. But Manziel is a bad quarterback, has repeatedly shown he doesn't care about his position, and has had like 6 fuck ups in the last year. This was his last chance with the Browns barring some insane injury.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Say whatever you want about Manziel but Teddy has been really bad this year. Bottom 5 QB in the league awful. The love folks have for him isn't justified - Teddy isn't the best QB out of that class, hes not even the 2nd best QB out of that class.

Sounds like he's just saying Teddy is clearly better than Manziel.

That's not high praise.

Teddy would also be the best Browns QB since Derek Anderson!

Manziel has had questions of his off-field conduct since the lead up to the draft. This exploded almost as soon as he was drafted. This continued into his rookie year. He had a horrible rookie year and looked unprepared for the NFL. He continued to be dogged by off-field conduct issues throughout his rookie year. He hit a "Reset" in the off season, going into rehab, and saying he was going to take his role more seriously. Shortly after rehab, he got hit with another DUI during the season, when he also got into a domestic altercation (which was later dropped). Shortly after that, he was photographed again partying at his college homecoming (which I think is forgivable). After the Browns struggle at QB all year, he's given the job at QB in a "prove it" role... Basically, he has 6 weeks to prove that he's worthy of being the starter of an NFL franchise. He plays decently in both games though the Browns are also blown out in both games, and then a week after being named the starter for the rest of the season, he's videotaped partying during the Browns bye week.

(let me know if I missed anything)

Manziel is clueless and shows that he has no interest in being an NFL starter. He's been benched because:

a) McCown isn't much worse
b) McCown is more well liked by coaches and seemingly now the owner
c) Browns are done with Johnny Manziel

But he's still being paid. Next Monday night, Manziel is going to be paid $16,000/hr to wear a pads and sit on the bench, this is on top of his $1m guaranteed bonus that was paid out at the start of this season.

#ThankfulJohnny

Now that's living the American dream.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sounds like he's just saying Teddy is clearly better than Manziel.

That's not high praise.

Teddy would also be the best Browns QB since Derek Anderson!

I think every QB who has started a game this season is clearly better than Maziel save for Jimmy Clausen.

Do people actually think JF8 is better than McCown? Getting difficult to separate the trolls from the chaff.

If I'm the Browns, I let the guy ride the pine and then treat him pretty much the same way for two more years. I don't understand what the incentive is to cut him. Keep a fire under his ass until he learns or you let him go at the end of his contractual obligation.

Ravens weren't winning anyway, but I was much more optimistic going against Johnny Cristal than going against McCown who already passed for 500 yards and 6 TDs on us IN BALTIMORE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ravens weren't winning anyway, but I was much more optimistic going against Johnny Cristal than going against McCown who already passed for 500 yards and 6 TDs on us IN BALTIMORE.

I wonder if all these injuries are going to keep the last ten minutes of every Ravens game from being must see tv like they've been all season.

I disagree, Teddy is the 2nd best, but it's close with Bortles. At this point I'd say...

Carr > Teddy > Bortles > Manziel > Mettenberger > Garoppolo > Tom Savage > AJ McCarron

Manziel and Metts ahead of Garoppolo only because we actually have footage of them playing in real games. If Garoppolo took the field in games/moments that mattered, I'd likely put him ahead of both.

MechDX

You answered your own question.

BTW, when Vick was tearing up the league he was also hosting dog fights. Leader of men that Mike Vick

Colasante

LB Dane Fletcher and DT Chris Jones won't play for the Patriots this season. Disappointing. I was hoping Fletcher could take Freeny's place on defense.

🎵 This is my fight soooooooong
Take back my life soooooong
Prove I'm alright sooooong
My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me 🎵

Top Bottom