• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 17 |OT| - A Fraud’s Road Ends

jbug617

Banned
tumblr_nzu4zyoWUJ1r4jf9no4_400.gif

effzee

Albert Breer ‏ @ AlbertBreer now 5 seconds ago
If you wanna look at potential Eagles names, start here -- Panthers DC Sean McDermott. Widely respected. Knows the Philly brass. A unifier.

Should have never let him go but Reid was gonna Reid.

I don't know how I feel about him - I'd prefer an offense oriented coach simply cause I think finding an answer at QB and fixing the Oline is the # 1 priority. Defense will automatically be better not playing the super fast pace and being on the field so much.

But I wouldn't mind Sean McDermott. I'd also hope they look at Hue Jackson and whoever the highly respected assistants and coordinators are around the league.

Shula to run the offense he runs in Carolina with Kaep? I'd sign up for that.

By your logic WAS overwhelmingly won the RG3 trade with STL since they went to the playoffs twice and STL is under .500 since then

If we ignore the fact that the Rams ended up with starters like Brockers, Ogletree and Jenkins out of it then sure, Washington won the trade. We didn't benefit as much as we should have by blowing picks on utter dross like Robinson but hell, it's the Rams. I can't expect too much from them.

Meanwhile in this trade, both teams are still looking for a starting QB except one team gave up a useful pick for the privilege of getting a shitty QB.

Trade was equal because both teams still don't have answers at QB. We have no idea what the Rams will do with that extra 2nd round pick but just like with the RG3 picks they could just as easily fuck it up and end up again with no answers at QB.

As it is right now, both teams don't have answers at QB and will be looking again. Winner is whoever gets a QB not whether you have extra picks. I am of the opinion picks are extremely overrated if you don't know how to use them correctly or have the right talent evaluator. I have zero confidence in the Rams and their FO picking the right QB in the draft or otherwise but if you feel like your team "won" cause they got a 2nd round pick then yippe you won!

And as I said in the other post OH NO Eagles won't have a 2nd round pick that will surely set them back 5 years!!!! I'd get it if they traded everything & every pick away for Mariota and he was a monumental bust but that isn't the case here.

They don't have a 2nd but will be picking high in the first and have 2 third round picks. They will have a shot with those picks plus possible FA QBs (including Bradford himself who yes is better than Foles) to rebuild depending on the new regime.

You know why the Rams still don't have a starting QB, even after the RG3 trade?

Because the team was dumb enough to be fooled into thinking Bradford wasn't shitty. You know, the same guy you all thought might not be shitty even though every single NFC West fan in this thread told you in no uncertain terms: "Sam Bradford is fucking shitty"

How does Jeff Fisher still have a job?

Before the Rams job he was the Titans coach for what seemed like an eternity.

Biggest snake oil salesman around. He's got to have dirt on a bunch of the owners or something, I can't explain it.

LJ11

I fucking love the NFL. From hero to zero in a fucking second, same guys who praised the fuck out of him, trashing him on the way out.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This is the best day ever

The only tears more delicious is Boston tears. When the evil empire ends, it's going to be amazing.

People in here begging for Chip Kelly to coach their team. Really?

College team, sure. Pro team? Not so much. You can't work a system in the pros where you try and fit square pegs into round holes. In college there is so much more turnover, you just recruit the best athletes that suit your system and you can beat 75% of the teams at a major school. In the pros it's way more about adjustments. Chip seemed bad at this.

squicken

If we ignore the fact that the Rams ended up with starters like Brockers, Ogletree and Jenkins out of it then sure, Washington won the trade. We didn't benefit as much as we should have by blowing picks on utter dross like Robinson but hell, it's the Rams. I can't expect too much from them.
t.

That's different than what you said. You said the Eagles and Rams finished with the same record so the Rams won the trade b/c they got the 2nd. Ignoring the talent swap

Now you are ignoring record and focusing on talent when comparing the RG3 trade

All Rams fans are insane on Bradford so it isn't just you. People think since he isn't one of the 5 franchise changing QBs of the last 17 years he is worse than dick cancer. Meanwhile they shrug their shoulders at all the bungled organizational moves and ignore how that might affect the players within that organization

effzee

I fucking love the NFL. From hero to zero in a fucking second, same guys who praised the fuck out of him, trashing him on the way out.

Its always the case. People taking shots when a coach or player leaves.

I have no doubts Chip is a control freak and that rubs people the wrong way but he just went from innovative and fun winning 10 games per season to someone people couldn't stand and had to be removed.

College team, sure. Pro team? Not so much. You can't work a system in the pros where you try and fit square pegs into round holes. In college there is so much more turnover, you just recruit the best athletes that suit your system and you can beat 75% of the teams at a major school. In the pros it's way more about adjustments. Chip seemed bad at this.

tbf in many of the Eagles games I watched this season the offence looked noticeably better in the second half so I wouldn't say that Chip can't make adjustments.

effzee

You know why the Rams still don't have a starting QB, even after the RG3 trade?

Because the team was dumb enough to be fooled into thinking Bradford wasn't shitty. You know, the same guy you all thought might not be shitty even though every single NFC West fan in this thread told you in no uncertain terms: "Sam Bradford is fucking shitty"

No shit you think I thought we were getting Manning? Thought was he would be at worst Foles level with potential to be much better. Chip kept citing the Brees deal to NO as an example of what he was trying to do. A risk but a good risk to take.

Problem is instead of Bradford inheriting an offense with an OLINE in place, McCoy, and WR corps with Maclin, Chip also gutted all those key parts and the replacements were no where near as good.

Bradford did show improvements in the past few weeks but its hard to say if he is better than what he has shown so far. I have no desire to re-sign him but am aware he might be the best available option hopefully for a much more reasonable contract.

I'd take a chance at other guys but who knows.

That's different than what you said. You said the Eagles and Rams finished with the same record so the Rams won the trade b/c they got the 2nd. Ignoring the talent swap

Now you are ignoring record and focusing on talent when comparing the RG3 trade

All Rams fans are insane on Bradford so it isn't just you. People think since he isn't one of the 5 franchise changing QBs of the last 17 years he is worse than dick cancer. Meanwhile they shrug their shoulders at all the bungled organizational moves and ignore how that might affect the players within that organization

Bradford is a terrible QB but come on, are you really going to try and say that I think the Rams are a well-run organisation? How the fuck did you come to that conclusion?

LJ11

Guy made the playoffs twice, dominated with his run game in year 1, I mean he destroyed teams, had bums at QB and fucking won when every team in the league knew they had to stop the run game. Still laid track on the field. I'm not sure what you mean by adjustments, but he fucked up his personnel moves. Kelly thought he won a power battle with Roseman, but when the ex-GM is now an executive you better fucking make all the right moves, because he'll be whispering in the owner's ear all year long.

Unfortunately for Kelly, his moves were so bad that Roseman didn't have to say shit, everything collapsed around him and like rats they jumped off. I'm sure he's a bit of a dick as well, but honestly, most NFL coaches are. They're type As that know it all.

Its always the case. People taking shots when a coach or player leaves.

I have no doubts Chip is a control freak and that rubs people the wrong way but he just went from innovative and fun winning 10 games per season to someone people couldn't stand and had to be removed.

Yeah, it always happens.

Whatever, good luck to him.

effzee

I don't mean in-game, more in terms of fitting his system around the players he has.

Which is so weird cause when he came in he did just that. Adjusted to how Vick played. What worked with McCoy and Desean.

He took the talent Reid couldn't manage to more than 4 wins and turned it into a 10 win season. And with Foles for most of it. Someone or something no one saw coming.

Chip also brought in a mix of coordinators and coaches from college, small schools, big programs, and tons of NFL coaches to have variety. He made tons of adjustments when they went from Vick to Foles even if they still ran out of Shotgun with zone read play action play after play.

But the offense looked a lot more predictable and mediocre in design this season. I don't know if he was coaching to the talent he put on the field or if he had been tamed by the NFL.

That 2013 season was magical with how innovative the offense looked and how many risks he took by going for 2 or going for it on 4th downs. Now he seems extremely conservative in his play calling.

gutshot

Thinking about it some more and I firmly believe that Chip's downfall was ignoring the offensive line. His offense HAS to have an effective run game to function. Think about his first year here, they were a top 3 offense because they had an elite offensive line that played together for all 16 games. Shady was able to rip off huge chunks in the run game and that opened up everything downfield. The second year, due to injuries, they struggled to find that same dominance and as a result were an average offense. This year, of course, the offensive line was a disaster and with no consistent run game, the passing game struggled immensely (this problem was further exacerbated by the Eagles pass-catching woes and Bradford's slow development in the offense).

The sad thing is Chip likely recognized this deficiency and was probably prepared to throw resources at it this offseason to get it fixed, the same way he did with the secondary this past offseason. Now we'll never know if an improved offensive line and a Bradford with another year on this system could have done what Foles and Co. did in Chip's first year.

Hindl

Damn just realized now that Chip is gone all these back and forths between Boban and Yankee/Pep/occasionally squicken are gonna end

Thinking about it some more and I firmly believe that Chip's downfall was ignoring the offensive line. His offense HAS to have an effective run game to function. Think about his first year here, they were a top 3 offense because they had an elite offensive line that played together for all 16 games. Shady was able to rip off huge chunks in the run game and that opened up everything downfield. The second year, due to injuries, they struggled to find that same dominance and as a result were an average offense. This year, of course, the offensive line was a disaster and with no consistent run game, the passing game struggled immensely (this problem was further exacerbated by the Eagles pass-catching woes and Bradford's slow development in the offense).

The sad thing is Chip likely recognized this deficiency and was probably prepared to throw resources at it this offseason to get it fixed, the same way he did with the secondary this past offseason. Now we'll never know if an improved offensive line and a Bradford with another year on this system could have done what Foles and Co. did in Chip's first year.

Yeah I thought the same thing. It's a shame because he was going to address it and we'd see the results. Oh well, now the roster will be blown up and the Eagles may eventually be a playoff team in 2020

squicken

I like his ideas on sports science and NFL needing some shakeup. Good offensive mind. He sucked at personnel and didn't know how to lead grown men. It's like prospects. Stuff we can see isn't always what causes a coach/player to fail

effzee

Guy made the playoffs twice, dominated with his run game in year 1, I mean he destroyed teams, had bums at QB and fucking won when every team in the league knew they had to stop the run game. Still laid track on the field. I'm not sure what you mean by adjustments, but he fucked up his personnel moves. Kelly thought he won a power battle with Roseman, but when the ex-GM is now an executive you better fucking make all the right moves, because he'll be whispering in the owner's ear all year long.

Unfortunately for Kelly, his moves were so bad that Roseman didn't have to say shit, everything collapsed around him and like rats they jumped off. I'm sure he's a bit of a dick as well, but honestly, most NFL coaches are. They're type As that know it all.

Agreed 100%. GM Kelly was horrible.

I also love all the analysts who offer the laziest summary and just claim he is a college coach. Its as if the first 2 seasons didn't happen or somehow that was all credit to Reid and how much left for Chip to work with. I wonder if the same logic applies to what Reid inherited in KC....

Personally Chip is a fine coach and can make it work in the NFL. He failed in his first year as a GM so I can't say for sure he is terrible at it but I'd like to think his next job will limit his power.

I don't mean in-game, more in terms of fitting his system around the players he has.

Chip the GM fucked Chip the coach in the ass with his idiotic personnel moves. He needs to spend a season or two as an NFL OC so he can watch and learn about all the non X's and O's stuff he fucked up. I doubt his ego would allow that which is a shame because I don't think he's bad at actually coaching football.

No shit you think I thought we were getting Manning? Thought was he would be at worst Foles level with potential to be much better. Chip kept citing the Brees deal to NO as an example of what he was trying to do. A risk but a good risk to take.

Problem is instead of Bradford inheriting an offense with an OLINE in place, McCoy, and WR corps with Maclin, Chip also gutted all those key parts and the replacements were no where near as good.

Bradford did show improvements in the past few weeks but its hard to say if he is better than what he has shown so far. I have no desire to re-sign him but am aware he might be the best available option hopefully for a much more reasonable contract.

I'd take a chance at other guys but who knows.

Let me help you out there, he's not. Anybody that has ever watched him play before could have told you that. Because he's a shitty QB, no matter how much Squicken stans for him. The Rams blowing the pick on a long snapper doesn't alter the fact that it was a truly awful trade from the second it was announced. There is zero hindsight required.

gutshot

I wouldn't say Chip is a terrible GM. He took a calculated risk that he would be able to coach up the offensive side of the ball while spending most of his resources on defense. Defensively, that almost worked considering the defense was much improved until they collapsed late in the season. But clearly he overvalued his ability to get the same production out of lesser talents on offense. And, as I said, his biggest mistake was ignoring the offensive line.

Imagine though, if the Eagles had resigned Maclin, they would have never signed Murray and they would not have drafted Agholor and instead maybe selected an offensive lineman, like say Jake Fisher? An offense led by Maclin, Matthews, Mathews and an infusion of young talent on the Oline, imagine how different the season might have gone had that happened? Instead one bad decision led to another... which led to Chip being fired.

LJ11

He came into the league and found an Elite LT, an ELITE pulling C, and pretty good guards. Honest to god, coming into the league my biggest question was where is he going to find Grasu? The power sweeps/pulls all need the Center to get out and obliterate on the perimeter. Remember Yankee coming in and saying Kelce's it, and he was right. With Chip it's always about the run, they are the same fucking runs teams have been using for decades, he just did them out of the gun, dressed them up, used the QB to get numbers. No gimmicks, they are runs that all teams use.

gutshot

He came into the league and found an Elite LT, an ELITE pulling C, and pretty good guards. Honest to god, coming into the league my biggest question was where is he going to find Grasu? The power sweeps/pulls all need the Center to get out and obliterate on the perimeter. Remember Yankee coming in and saying Kelce's it, and he was right. With Chip it's always about the run, they are the same fucking runs teams have been using for decades, he just did them out of the gun, dressed them up, used the QB to get numbers. No gimmicks, they are runs that all teams use.

Yup. No surprise then that his offense looked terrible this year. Peters is old and banged up and no longer elite, Kelce regressed and is also starting to show some wear and tear, Chip cut his best guard and let the other walk and then replaced them both with journeymen scrubs. The only truly quality player left on the line is Lane Johnson. It's no wonder DeMarco Murray couldn't do shit.

Damn just realized now that Chip is gone all these back and forths between Boban and Yankee/Pep/occasionally squicken are gonna end

Yeah I thought the same thing. It's a shame because he was going to address it and we'd see the results. Oh well, now the roster will be blown up and the Eagles may eventually be a playoff team in 2020

There was never much of a back and forth with yankee because he always goes into hiding when anything fun like this happens only to reappear if the Eagles win.

You might pretend to be a family man but I know your game!*

*I wish that game was Halo because I don't want to keep playing with Bread. He is the fucking worst.

what does kroenke do when he doesn't get to move the rams to LA?

Nothing will stop him from moving the Rams.

If it doesn't happen this year he will give Fisher and Gregg Williams a ten year contract extension, hire Chip Kelly to head up the personnel department and cut beer prices in half before putting a padlock on all bathrooms so there are literal cascades of piss in the stands keeping what few fans remain away.

Then he can go back to the owners and go "See? There isn't a viable market in St. Louis!"

What a cunt.

gutshot

Good Chip Kelly moves:
Drafted Lane Johnson
Drafted Jordan Matthews
Drafted Jordan Hicks
Signed Connor Barwin
Signed Malcom Jenkins
Signed Walter Thurmond
Traded for Darren Sproles

Bad Chip Kelly moves:
Drafted Marcus Smith
Drafted Nelson Agholor
Signed DeMarco Murray
Signed Miles Austin
Cut DeSean Jackson
Cut Evan Mathis
Traded for Kiko Alonso
Traded for Sam Bradford

I'd say the good and the bad are about even. There were also a lot of middling moves that weren't great or terrible like drafting Ertz or signing Mathews.

Bread

Banned
Yea I can see how playing with me could get old, must suck to see how bad you are in comparison every single game. Hey at least you have your brother and gman to make yourself feel better!

Hindl

I'd add potentially Eric Rowe from his limited play time to the positives, and the jury is still out on Jacorey Shepherd. Add Huff to the negatives but it still works out. Although given that Kiko spent most of camp rehabbing, and then immediately reinjured his knee, I'm not necessarily calling that a bust. Especially since even McCoy wouldn't be able to do shit behind this offensive line, so it's not like we really lost out on something there

MRSA

Banned

Until the whisky kicks in so I can go ham on some animu, speaking of which, whisky has kicked in.

CAJUN YOU VIRGIN FUCK, THE RAIDERS ARE GOING TO CURB STOMP WHATEVER QB YOU HAVE UNDER CENTER! Also Raising Canes is representative of Louisiana food, overrated as fuuuuck

Top Bottom