• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 17 |OT| - A Fraud’s Road Ends

RBH

The television ratings for ESPN’s College Football Playoff broadcasts on New Year’s Eve were released Friday afternoon, with the timing of the games playing a large part in a major drop in national viewership.

ESPN announced a 9.9 overnight rating for the Cotton Bowl (Alabama-Michigan State, 8 p.m. ET) and a 9.7 rating for the Orange Bowl (Clemson-Oklahoma, 4 p.m. ET).

Last year’s semifinals brought in a 15.5 rating for the early game, the Rose Bowl between Oregon and Florida State, and a 15.3 rating for the later one, the Sugar Bowl between Ohio State and Alabama.

While TV numbers were down, the semifinal games pulled in record online streaming numbers, with the Cotton and Orange Bowls coming in second and third all-time for WatchESPN events, behind last year’s title game, and excluding all World Cup soccer matches.

Playoff officials had hopes to create a “new tradition” for fans to plan their year-end festivities around football, but there was controversy surrounding the games’ kickoff times, given the annual celebrations surrounding New Year’s Eve and holiday travel.

SI’s Pete Thamel spoke to several nightlife promoters who were less than thrilled with ESPN’s broadcast timing, and pointed out that last year’s games—played on Jan. 1—drew the biggest cable audience in television history (28 million viewers). But with those prime New Year’s Day time slots belonging to the Rose and Sugar Bowls, that scenario changed.

Playoff officials also passed on the opportunity to move the semifinals to Saturday, Jan. 2, opting to gamble on New Year’s Eve kickoffs. ESPN had attempted to convince executives to play on Saturday this year only, given the opportunity presented by the calendar, but executives opted not to stray from the original plan.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/01/college-football-playoff-bowl-game-tv-ratings

The semifinals are currently scheduled for December 31st in three of the next four years.
http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/future-sites-and-schedules

lulz

Sanjuro

Lol sanji. Also that Burgers, Brew & Cue show starts up Jan 15

I'm gonna be all over that.

I'm getting old too. Went to the Winter Classic today. When I was younger, remembering freezing to death and my ass sticking to metal benches. Now? I'm back in my area and absolutely pooped and defrosting. Whiskey shots until I'm pure.

Yeah it was really dumb of them to schedule those games on Dec. 31, especially the 8 PM one.

It turned out to be a shit game but I still would have watched it if I didn't go out at like 7.

JklfdAp.png

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kas even ok with 16 td 2 int even if thats true in a non playoff season. Im convinced kas hasnt cared about team wins in like oh well ok never

I can tell you in all honesty nothing fucks with my Sunday's/Monday's worse than the Lions losing.

The reason I bring up Stafford's stats, and Stan for him like I do, is because he's the best QB the Lions have ever had and will be one of the best QBs in the league going forward these next few seasons.

His play the last half of the season has only solidified my belief.

Spinluck

I can tell you in all honesty nothing fucks with my Sunday's/Monday's worse than the Lions losing.

The reason I bring up Stafford's stats, and Stan for him like I do, is because he's the best QB the Lions have ever had and will be one of the best QBs in the league going forward these next few seasons.

His play the last half of the season has only solidified my belief.

1485.gif

Sanjuro

Haha.

So, I've been playing casual pool with one of the junkies showing me some tricks.

The old guy that always comes into my bar, my dad's age, always using is iPad, is playing some monster Gears of War style shooter with earbuds on.

Kind of amazing.

Sanjuro

I had a wonderful time today, but everything on the sports dockett and feel wise for the remainder of the day is bizarro say. Feels like Sunday.

Top Bottom