• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter S.

I'm not totally confident that we'll win the game.. As you say, they've had our number for a while.... sucks. It will probably be another close game that comes down to who has the ball last.
Sean Smith being out really hurts our secondary but if our pass rush kicks into gear, I think we can man up.
Really depends on what Alex Smith (and Andy Reid) we get..

I just expect a close game. Like it usually is.

And glad that T.J. Ward is back from his suspension.

Milchjon

You work at a brewery?

Well, kinda. They have a beer store as part of the brewery, where a started working a while ago as a side gig while doing my bachelor's.

Over time it kinda happened that I started doing the brewery tours, and every now and then some events like today where people pay for a day of brewing with us.

It's fun! Craft beer in Germany is decades behind, and we're still teaching people that beer doesn't always have to mean Pilsner.

Eagles Kas
Daaaamn, fuck you, Cdy! ;)
i dont think he's horrible but he's just an average QB. as for the cards, you guys almost got beat at home by what was thought to be one of the worst teams in the league coming into the season so i'm not sure if you are considering your week 1 win impressive or something but it wasn't!

remember a couple years back when the cards went 4-0 and i said just watch, they'll finish under .500. then they finished under .500. then last year i told you they weren't going to make any noise in the playoffs (with or without palmer). the only difference palmer would have made in the playoffs is they might have beaten the panthers, then they would've been skull fucked by the seahawks or packers

if the cards win the division or make the playoffs this year i'll eat plenty of crow but i don't think they will. sorry brah!

He's a little above average, I'd venture to say good, in our system. Not great by any means but good enough with our defense to win. That other comment is rather silly for you. You know that in the NFL a win is a win, winners close out games and inferior teams drop them. Remember recently when the chickens kept barely winning week after week? Yet they made it to the Superbowl? I'm not comparing the two teams here but pointing out it's disingenuous to use a close game as your argument against a team's legitimacy. Especially week one where crazy shit happens every year. Furthermore, the game wasn't nearly as close as it looked. We don't commit the too many men on the field penalty and the Saints would have punted rather than score their lone TD on that drive. We already beat them by double digits but now you can easily add another 7 points to the difference and that's not even counting the FG we could have made just before the half. On top of that, let's not pretend that wasn't a solid performance over all. Palmer threw 3 TDs with 0 turnovers, we had a great day running on the ground, we held an elite QB to a single TD that again, wouldn't have even happened without that penalty. We put up 31 points- all offense and I don't care if the Saints don't have a good D, it's not like teams score in the thirties all the time. You can't score in the thirties with your offense alone if you don't have quality O. We didn't rely on defensive TDs or kickoff/punt return nor did we even benefit off of a turnover near the Saints red zone. So please, explain to me why I shouldn't be happy about this win? No one gives a shit about impressive wins btw, you just want the W to get to the post season.

Oh wow, your predication came true after our starting QB went out. Give me a fucking break, every team in the league would be trash if their starting QB went out. Let's see how many games the Sea Hawks, Packers, Patriots or anyone else you want win with John Skelton and Max Hall. We would have had a great shot at the bye if Palmer stayed healthy with the record and lead we had, we were winning with Stanton FFS, you really don't think we would have won the division and had an excellent shot at a top 2 seed when we were leading the entire league most of the season? Also, we would have "skull fucked" the Panthers with Palmer and been damn competitive with the other two. Last Palmer played the chickens, we won so who are you to say we'd get crushed? That's ridiculous. As ridiculous as it'd be for me to guarantee a win over them. We play tough divisional football against them with our starters so we'd make a game of it and have had a chance to win. At no time have I ever said we'd be a favorite, just that we 'could' win and only take issue when people act as though we don't have talent and it was all a fluke.

Same this year, we aren't favorites, not at all but we have the talent and balance to go all the way. It doesn't' mean it's likely, it just means I expect us to make the playoffs and from there anything can happen and we are capable of beating any team in the league. That doesn't mean I'll feel confident playing the other top dogs, I just know my team has what it takes to have a chance at winning in an any given Sunday league. But guess what? We get to play the Chickens twice and the Packers as well so we'll see just how those games go down. No way can I promise wins and we most certainly could go 0-3 those games but we can also win them and the one thing I'm sure of is that neither will crush us, we'll make a game of each and every one of those (if our starters are playing, No Palmer no bet).

Sea Hawks are the most likely to win the division but you're crazy if you think we aren't good enough to make the playoffs. I still give us a shot to win the division too, the underdog but a chance and while we're on top I'll beat the drum ;)

RBH

byWDYg8.png

https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/644180040058449920?s=09

Man really hope Teddy wakes up after Monday's game. The whole,offense needs to step up

I think Teddy is either going to have an effective game against us or a really bad game. San Diego struggled in the first half against us on Sunday, but at halftime they must have watched game film from our game last year against New England. The Lions defense is incapable of defending against short yardage passing games where the QB gets the ball out super fast. Brady went up and down the field on us with 5-10yd passes, and our LBs never moved up to deal with it. Our entire defensive scheme seems to revolve around not giving up big plays, so short/quick passes lead to a "death by 1000 cuts" situation.

Minny can dice us with Rudolph, Peterson, Wallace in the slot, etc. Bridgewater is sort of a check down guy so this should work for him. But if Minnesota wants to let him drop back and wait for plays to develop he's gonna get killed, like he was last year when we sacked him like 8 times.

http://www.theonion.com/article/giants-move-tom-coughlin-assisted-coaching-facilit-51324

1200.jpg

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ—Saying that they held off taking such a drastic step for as long as they could, officials from the New York Giants confirmed Wednesday that the team had made the difficult decision to move head coach Tom Coughlin into an assisted-coaching facility. “We know Tom likes his independence, but ultimately we had no choice—at least this way he won’t have to completely stop what he loves doing while still getting the proper supervision and attention he needs,” said offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo, adding that he was hopeful the 69-year-old Coughlin would grow to appreciate the center’s many amenities, including trained staff on-site 24 hours per day ready to help residents read playbooks, review game film, and manage the clock during the fourth quarter.

The picture got a nice chuckle out of me. :)

Tabris

Man this week was depressing. I just hope Peyton can get enough strength left and timing with Sanders to hit those couple of deep throws to open up his quick throw game.

The weird thing is he was able to hit those pre-game 12 last year. It made sense why he couldn't hit them after due to a torn quad. I can't believe his arm strength degraded that much in less then a year.

I mean those long balls still have zip, just not the accuracy of previous. So I dunno if that's as much arm strength as maybe correct feel or planting? It was a planting issue after game 12 last year. But his quads are fine now right?

I dunno, it confuses me.

Man this week was depressing. I just hope Peyton can get enough strength left and timing with Sanders to hit those couple of deep throws to open up his quick throw game.

The weird thing is he was able to hit those pre-game 12 last year. It made sense why he couldn't hit them after due to a torn quad. I can't believe his arm strength degraded that much in less then a year.

I mean those long balls still have zip, just not the accuracy of previous. So I dunno if that's as much arm strength as maybe correct feel or planting? It was a planting issue after game 12 last year. But his quads are fine now right?

I dunno, it confuses me.
Have to imagine that they aren't. That's the part of old age that ends guys' careers... the wolverine heal factor is gone, and by the time the body heals it's so much harder to get back the same strength/flexibility as before.

But I am not a doctor!

I think Teddy is either going to have an effective game against us or a really bad game. San Diego struggled in the first half against us on Sunday, but at halftime they must have watched game film from our game last year against New England. The Lions defense is incapable of defending against short yardage passing games where the QB gets the ball out super fast. Brady went up and down the field on us with 5-10yd passes, and our LBs never moved up to deal with it. Our entire defensive scheme seems to revolve around not giving up big plays, so short/quick passes lead to a "death by 1000 cuts" situation.

Minny can dice us with Rudolph, Peterson, Wallace in the slot, etc. Bridgewater is sort of a check down guy so this should work for him. But if Minnesota wants to let him drop back and wait for plays to develop he's gonna get killed, like he was last year when we sacked him like 8 times.

Teddy seem to not get I to a rythem at all. He made some really good throws that were defended real well.

I wort about our ability to stop the run after Monday. Riddeick seems like he could really hurt us

Should be a fun game ether way

I dunno, it confuses me.

I can't post in this thread until Manning's in sync later this game and scoring multiple touchdowns, so I can shove it down your throats.

I can't post in this thread until Manning's in sync later this game and scoring multiple touchdowns, so I can shove it down your throats.

Love how you gave up and posted in the thread anyway because you knew the comeuppance wasn't coming.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Dissecting Ingram's big hit on Lions' Stafford

Matthew Stafford was lying face down on the ground with Melvin Ingram's left leg draped on his back when Kyle Emanuel made the diving interception that turned out to be the play of the game.

At first glance, a miscommunication by the Detroit Lions' revamped offensive line appeared to be to blame for a turnover that swung momentum back the Chargers' way and helped San Diego finish off a rally from 18 points down to beat the Lions in the season-opener for both teams, 33-28.

Right tackle Cornelius Lucas and right guard Manny Ramirez both blocked the same pass rusher, defensive tackle Corey Liuget, leaving Ingram to blitz free off the edge and hit Matthew Stafford hard enough to earn him assault charges in 38 states.

But Lucas and Ramirez said there was no miscommunication on the play and that the Lions were simply outmaneuvered in one of Sunday's most pivotal moments.

"To the naked eye you wouldn't understand our calls, so a person who's looking at the game, it would look like that," Lucas said. "But it goes deeper than that.

"We were practicing a look all week that we thought they were going to do and they actually, the quarterback put us in a protection that we thought was going to work against that look and they actually faked that look and went to another."

Stafford raised his leg in a dummy call for the snap, and when safety Eric Weddle joined Te'o, Butler, outside linebackers Ingram and Emanuel, and defensive linemen Liuget and Ricardo Mathews at the line of scrimmage, the Lions' quarterback walked forward to his offensive line and barked out a new protection call.

The Lions had three receivers in a trips formation to the right, Lance Moore, Corey Fuller and Eric Ebron, and Calvin Johnson split wide left matched up one-on-one with cornerback Brandon Flowers.

Johnson had just four passes thrown his way all game, but Stafford's read dictated this throw would go Johnson's way.

"(They showed) a certain pressure that they run every once in a while when they have a certain personnel out there," Ramirez explained. "And they brought it up like they were going to run it, we made our call. They basically either checked out of it or they were bluffing it and they got us."

As Stafford took the snap from center Travis Swanson, he zeroed in on Johnson running a hitch-and-go route down the Lions sideline.

But the inside blitz the Lions were expecting never came.

Weddle dropped into underneath coverage on Johnson's side of the formation a second after Stafford raised his leg a second time to signal the snap. Both Te'o and Butler dropped into coverage, leaving the Chargers with a four-man rush.

Joique Bell, the running back in the formation, tried to cut-block a blitzing Emanuel off the left side of scrimmage. Left tackle Riley Reiff stood up Mathews without much push. Swanson and left guard Laken Tomlinson were left without rushers, and Lucas stonewalled Liuget with help from Ramirez.

Ingram, the one unaccounted for rusher, had a clear path to Stafford and smashed into his throwing elbow before Stafford knew he was there.

Ramirez said the Lions "went by our rules" in blocking the look the Chargers showed pre-snap, and Lucas said the only thing the line could have done to prevent the sack was "we could have stayed in the previous protection, but sometimes things happen."

"You try to catch the defense with certain plays, try to catch them off guard, and they caught us," Ramirez said. "Instead of us catching them, they caught us. They bluffed it pretty well, we made our call, we ran with it what we practiced. It happens all the time, we just move on to the next play."

That play didn't lose the game for the Lions – Stephen Tulloch recovered a Melvin Gordon fumble three plays later – but the Lions didn't the look same after it.

Stafford threw his second interception on the Lions' next series and played the rest of the game with a sleeve on his right arm, trying to keep the appendage loose.

He wore a bulky wrap on his arm Monday, still feeling the effects from the hit, but said he expects to play this week against the Minnesota Vikings.

"It was a tough one," Stafford said of the hit in his weekly team-sponsored interview Monday night on Fox2. "He got me good, kind of right on the triceps/elbow area, but I'll be good to go (this week against the Minnesota Vikings). I started feeling better towards the end of the game and I'll be good to go."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...gram-matthew-stafford-detroit-lions/72323384/

Really hope Stafford is OK but I'm still not confident he's 100%. He's a tough SOB and he'll play but I wonder how much his play will be affected.

I still maintain that hit by Melvin Ingram should've been a roughing the passer. The picture itself in the article shows clear helmet to helmet.

Either way interesting article on the original play design, who was supposed to do what on the offensive line and the nice fake blitz playcall by the Chargers.

Drakeon

How can you not love this man? Tomsula is fantastic for entirely different reasons from Harbaugh. Both have proven to be great material for gifs.

I do wonder how often they're going to bring up the amount and types of jobs he's worked though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
How can you not love this man? Tomsula is fantastic for entirely different reasons from Harbaugh. Both have proven to be great material for gifs.

I do wonder how often they're going to bring up the amount and types of jobs he's worked though.

Surprised he's too broke to afford crest white strips tho

Yorks are cheap as fuck

RBH

Hey, did you know about all of the odd jobs that Jim Tomsula has had in the past??!?

1431688515473859650.jpg

this_guy

Dissecting Ingram's big hit on Lions' Stafford

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...gram-matthew-stafford-detroit-lions/72323384/

Really hope Stafford is OK but I'm still not confident he's 100%. He's a tough SOB and he'll play but I wonder how much his play will be affected.

I still maintain that hit by Melvin Ingram should've been a roughing the passer. The picture itself in the article shows clear helmet to helmet.

Either way interesting article on the original play design, who was supposed to do what on the offensive line and the nice fake blitz playcall by the Chargers.

Crazy how a helmet to helmet hit will hurt one's elbow.

I'm looking at the picture in the article and I see Ingram's helmet hitting Stafford's shoulder pad - is there another picture I'm missing?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Crazy how a helmet to helmet hit will hurt one's elbow.

I'm looking at the picture in the article and I see Ingram's helmet hitting Stafford's shoulder pad - is there another picture I'm missing?

Don't have the gif on me but he launched his whole body into Stafford as Stafford was winding up hitting him helmet to helmet. Ingram's shoulder pad/chest pad area hit Stafford's arm as it was in throwing motion. Ingram went full force launching his body into Stafford and brought Stafford down landing on his throwing arm.

Was painful watching our QB get hit like that. Stafford wasn't the same after the hit till the last drive of the game.

Got lots of nods of approval at the bars on Sunday while I wore my new Earl Campbell Oilers jersey. I was in a state of disarray, a zombified pastel blue pudgy mass as I watched Brian Hoyer throw the most beautiful throw for a touchdown....for the other team. The image replayed in my mind all day, and I think my brain blew up. Can't wait to get Foster back.

Every year I say I'm going to keep up with this thread, but I just can't keep up posting in this thread with any frequency. That being said, my depression filled pudgy mass will be watching and crying my way through Sunday's this year. At least we got Hard Knocks and some cool looking socks.

Hey, did you know about all of the odd jobs that Jim Tomsula has had in the past??!?

1431688515473859650.jpg
In 1997, Julie took their two daughters, Britney, 4, and Brooke, 2, to stay with relatives in Florida while everything they owned was put in storage. And so began the year that Tomsula lived in a car, a red Cadillac given to him by his Uncle Tic. Tomsula drove the 430 miles down to Catawba and became an unpaid volunteer assistant at his alma mater, charged with strength and conditioning. He slept in parking lots and cleaned himself up in the locker room. To combat loneliness, he kept a black lab and a cat as roommates. Tomsula hung his suits in the back seat, right above the litter box.

“Ah, the homeless period,” he says. “Everyone makes it out to be a bad thing, but it really wasn’t.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/3l6ixd/tomsulaisms/

Jim Tomsula took Kap out for dinner, "Just you and me buddy." They went to Safeway and ate soup.
Jim Tomsula likes his coffee how he likes his women, with butter.

So I'm in a pool and we have to have a get a certain score to win the pool. If not it carries over to the following week. And the team I have to root for is
The Cheatriots
. Last week it was Bucs but rhe pool got hit so the next week we get a new team.

MF's better not let me down!!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Got lots of nods of approval at the bars on Sunday while I wore my new Earl Campbell Oilers jersey. I was in a state of disarray, a zombified pastel blue pudgy mass as I watched Brian Hoyer throw the most beautiful throw for a touchdown....for the other team. The image replayed in my mind all day, and I think my brain blew up. Can't wait to get Foster back.

Every year I say I'm going to keep up with this thread, but I just can't keep up posting in this thread with any frequency. That being said, my depression filled pudgy mass will be watching and crying my way through Sunday's this year. At least we got Hard Knocks and some cool looking socks.

I approve of the jersey choice. Does it tearaway?

earl-campbell-ram-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom