• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

Given their contracts with NFL teams I assume they get immediate access that way.

In the past they did not, and said as much, going back to last year too, no 22.

I'm looking at this Gilmore play that they gave him a defeat on. No way to it was man zero, heavy look from Pats 2TE/FB. Bills have SS safety in box, but a shallow middle safety. Box safety checks with MoF safety before snap, MoF safety looks his way and believes he understand the assignment, MoF safety decides to play man D. Edelman goes right down the middle, overthrown, safeties look at each other confused after the play.

Preseason still here in full swing.

eznark

Banned
In the past they did not, and said as much, going back to last year too, no 22.

I'm looking at this Gilmore play that they gave him a defeat on. No way to it was man free, heavy look from Pats 2TE/FB. Bills have SS safety in box, but a shallow middle safety. Box safety checks with MoF safety before snap, MoF safety looks his way and believes he understand the assignment, MoF safety decides to play man D. Edelman goes right down the middle, overthrown, safeties look at each other confused after the play.

Preseason still here in full swing.

Right, but now they have closed the public access to their advanced stats and have signed into more intrinsic agreements with about half the league, supposedly.

LJ11

Right, but now they have closed the public access to their advanced stats and have signed into more intrinsic agreements with about half the league, supposedly.

Yeah, they definitely could have access. I'm shocked they had Cordy Glenn in the Green. Miserable fucking game, he looked so fucking good his first two years, manhandled Chandler Jones and yesterday he was beat way too many times. Some of that is on Tyrod. Roman fucked Tyrod early in yesterday's game. Went to the run way too early, should have taken a shot deep as soon as they got NE off the field in the first series, get the S the fuck out of the box.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, they definitely could have access. I'm shocked they had Cordy Glenn in the Green. Miserable fucking game, he looked so fucking good his first two years, manhandled Chandler Jones and yesterday he was beat way too many times. Some of that is on Tyrod. Roman fucked Tyrod early in yesterday's game. Went to the run way too early, should have taken a shot deep as soon as they got NE off the field, get the S the fuck out of the box.

I've been paying a little more attention these first two weeks and I am convinced that they are clueless when it comes to parsing grades of individuals who are in a unit. i.e. o/d linement and the secondary. Just completely clueless.

I think their RB, QB and wide out grades are pretty spot on, their LB grades meet the eye test but their line grades are truly terrible and it's because whoever is grading them doens't quite understand what they are watching.

It kinda sorta very much looks like Jason Peters is in pretty steep decline, and Kelce was awful. Chip is going to have to huddle and stop putting his defense on the field like that because they will have to win the games now. Sanchez Bradford whovever. Unless Luck or Rodgers gets traded that offense is boned

I think a lot of the problem with Peters this year is he is trying to cheat to help the guard next to him and that is causing him to get beat a bunch. The problem with the offense is both backup guards played okay last year in limited duty but making them the starters has been a disaster. Eagles tried to go deep yesterday to back the defense off a bit but it never worked. Cooper dropped a 30 yards pass that hit him in the hands. Matthews had 2 more bad drops, and Ertz had a ball clank off his hands for a pick. Bradford was wildly inaccurate, but when he did make good passes guys would drop them.

You would hope that with all the ink spilled and nut swallowed by the national football commentariat that there is still hope for Chip The Great to solve the offense. Motherfucker probably doesn't even know how to spell defense so we know he can't right that ship.

Except the defense is vastly improved already this year compared to last year. Last year the defense was costing the team games all year long, this year they are the only thing keeping them in games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just saw this in the CFB thread:

notinjured.0.gif

The soccerfication of American sports continues.

Yeah, they definitely could have access. I'm shocked they had Cordy Glenn in the Green. Miserable fucking game, he looked so fucking good his first two years, manhandled Chandler Jones and yesterday he was beat way too many times. Some of that is on Tyrod. Roman fucked Tyrod early in yesterday's game. Went to the run way too early, should have taken a shot deep as soon as they got NE off the field in the first series, get the S the fuck out of the box.
I think what hurt Bills most of all was the dumb penalties. Twice they put NE on their side of the field -- both times NE scored a touchdown. When Tyrod wasn't being sacked, the OL would either get a false start or an offensive holding call, negating big plays on several occasions. I still believe they could have won that game had they kept their composure, but at the end of the day NE did what they had to do: BUF didn't. That's on the coaching.

Just saw this in the CFB thread:

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/9LXqljOm9ZYck5nUHwl1IrD3dNQ=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4078630/notinjured.0.gif[img]

The soccerfication of American sports continues.[/QUOTE]

OBJ did a Cristiano Ronaldo celebration yesterday after his TD. Soccer, America's game.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thoughts on the niners.

Defense - Steelers offense is really good but that was still embarrassing. Ben wasn't even hit once (much less sacked) and receivers had consistent separation from the DBs. Run defense was solid.

Offense - well, I got criticized here last week for pointing out that the o-line was terrible. Need more proof? That is not an NFL level offensive line when it comes to pass protection. Even worse than being incapable of protecting the QB (I mean, many times they were beat one on one without even slowing the rusher) they were drive killers with their penalties (especially the redzone). Again, receivers got zero separation from the DBs so all throws had to be high and away or back shoulder. The TD to Smith is actually a good example...the ball had to be lasered in to a very specific spot or there is no chance. Boldin just flat our dropped a couple passes (nice TD though). Our TEs are categorically bad and Davis isn't NFL quality in either receiving or blocking.

Some positive takeaways - Kaep was great the entire game. Given no protection and bad receivers one can't really expect anything more. I don't buy the "numbers in garbage time!" argument as the Steelers never let up as evidenced by the niners inability to run in the second half either. Also, this game was total scheduling bullshit so the team probably isn't as bad as they performed (although the o-line is). Six days to east coast and early game against a great team playing on twelve days? Yeah right.

LJ11

I think what hurt Bills most of all was the dumb penalties. Twice they put NE on their side of the field -- both times NE scored a touchdown. When Tyrod wasn't being sacked, the OL would either get a false start or an offensive holding call, negating big plays on several occasions. I still believe they could have won that game had they kept their composure, but at the end of the day NE did what they had to do: BUF didn't. That's on the coaching.

No question, a lot of the young guys played like fools, undisciplined. Officiating was fucking trash, I don't know what PI is anymore. The PI call on Watkins was a fucking joke, same with Bradham. Watkins destroyed the DB on the route, made the DB fall down on his fucking own, and he gets called for PI. Even the Pats had over 100 yards in penalties.

Tyrod was dropping his eyes too much, or his height wasn't helping matters, didn't have good windows so he wanted to get out and scan the field. Led to sacks.

Only bright spot from the game. Horrible coaching and supporting cast is holding him back at this point. Same situation as Andrew Luck only Tannehill isn't quite as good.

Some would say he's better...

But seriously, now he's hurt and we face a tough bills team that will actually get to the QB unlike our 'great' d-line, we are just going to ruin him for the next coach. Oh and what the hell was with all the penalties? Regardless of how shit we have been you could always count on not having too many penalties.

Dallas still has a chance, amazingly. It's all on our O-Line an defense now. I we can manage to just go .500 until Romo comes back I think we woul be in great shape actually.

Some would say he's better...

But seriously, now he's hurt and we face a tough bills team that will actually get to the QB unlike our 'great' d-line, we are just going to ruin him for the next coach. Oh and what the hell was with all the penalties? Regardless of how shit we have been you could always count on not having too many penalties.
The penalties had me ready to murder someone. Just the worst.

Any word on the severity of Tannehill's injury?

Malalaw

5 wins max, I mean we lost at home to the Bucs. People are going to lose jobs over this season probably before it's over.

I say 6-10..lack of passion coming from Payton now too. His pressers are dry. I expect a complete coaching overhaul, and Brees last year to be this year.

bionic77

Thoughts on the niners.

Defense - Steelers offense is really good but that was still embarrassing. Ben wasn't even hit once (much less sacked) and receivers had consistent separation from the DBs. Run defense was solid.

Offense - well, I got criticized here last week for pointing out that the o-line was terrible. Need more proof? That is not an NFL level offensive line when it comes to pass protection. Even worse than being incapable of protecting the QB (I mean, many times they were beat one on one without even slowing the rusher) they were drive killers with their penalties (especially the redzone). Again, receivers got zero separation from the DBs so all throws had to be high and away or back shoulder. The TD to Smith is actually a good example...the ball had to be lasered in to a very specific spot or there is no chance. Boldin just flat our dropped a couple passes (nice TD though). Our TEs are categorically bad and Davis isn't NFL quality in either receiving or blocking.

Some positive takeaways - Kaep was great the entire game. Given no protection and bad receivers one can't really expect anything more. I don't buy the "numbers in garbage time!" argument as the Steelers never let up as evidenced by the niners inability to run in the second half either. Also, this game was total scheduling bullshit so the team probably isn't as bad as they performed (although the o-line is). Six days to east coast and early game against a great team playing on twelve days? Yeah right.
I always wondered why the Niners don't have Kaep go deep more often on play action. Teams have to be really concerned with him taking off and their running game and he has a fucking cannon for an arm.

I would think they would want him to throw it deep to Smith at least 3 times a game. Smith is also brilliant at drawing PIs on the deep ball.

The penalties had me ready to murder someone. Just the worst.

Any word on the severity of Tannehill's injury?

@ArmandoSalguero 16h16 hours ago
Ryan Tannehill on right ankle: "It's been better but I'll be alright."

That's all so far, doesn't seem too bad but he was limping after the game and I saw a report that he had it wrapped, hopefully we know more today. Hopefully the next coaching staff will stop ignoring the oline.

I always wondered why the Niners don't have Kaep go deep more often on play action. Teams have to be really concerned with him taking off and their running game and he has a fucking cannon for an arm.

I would think they would want him to throw it deep to Smith at least 3 times a game. Smith is also brilliant at drawing PIs on the deep ball.

We've never really had a quality speed receiver like Smith since Kaep has started. Vernon isn't consistent of a catcher to use him in that way at all and everyone else has either sucked or been more of a short yardage possession receiver.

MRSA

Banned
I honestly think for once Raiders have a more favorable matchup against the saddness of the Browns.

Browns can't stop the run for shit and haven't gone against a WR duo like Cooper/Crabtree. Its been a long time since we've had a formidable WR corps, Streater was MIA last game but I still have hope in him. I'd line Holmes up against Joe Hayden all day, I hear he has issues with bigger WRs (Justin Gilbert lmao). Murray should have his first 100 yard game against the Brown's D that parts like the red sea against the run. That Danny Shelton guy is pretty damn good, lets see if Hudson can prove his worth against him.

I'd move Mack back to OLB and let him be a ball hawk that he is. Or shit, like Mack up at DE and Aldon behind him. We all know Aldon's best years were playing behind Justin Smith. Common Norton, get it done, also can we cover the TE already? Our DBs were decent this last game, we just need to get after the QB better. Hayden played nicely even though he was burnt a few times but he had a few balls swatted down whenever he decided to turn his head. Carrie is always serviceable as always and Thorpe had the game of his career. Can he play safety? We need more help at safety than CB (Well no, we need help throughout the entire backfield). Old man Woodson cannot play FS, doesn't simply have the speed especially to play single up top. He's one hell of an in the box safety though. Also can we cut mother fuckin Ray Ray already? I'm sure Neiron Ball can't be any worse than that fuckin bum, I mean common his name is Ray Ray.

Also, fuck BG and fuck Kave.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm here and I'll be doing my thoughts on impressions and articles I've read about the game and Stafford getting pummeled.

I'll say this though, I watched a little of the Seahawks game. Way to early to tell what's going on this early in the season barring injuries to QBs. No NFC teams have stood out with the exception of the Packers and Cardinals. Starting off 0-2 is by no means a death sentence for the season. The Seahawks are 0-2, the Saints look like garbage. No teams except the ones I mentioned have separated themselves two weeks into the season. And with the talent we have I still like our playoff odds. Next Monday's season opener at home is a must win though.

Sephzilla

Hard to have a chip on your shoulder with 14 wins

I actually see where you're coming from with this. Rodgers and friends seem a lot more dangerous when they sneak into the playoffs and everyone doubts them (see: them in the playoffs their Super Bowl year). What's going to happen is the Packers will win 14 games, get home field advantage, and get one-offed by the Giants since the Giants are back into their "every 4 years" cycle

John Kuhn: turning TD's into short gains since time immemorial

Um, there's no way Starks scores on that play. Kuhn's the only reason he didn't get obliterated right at the 10 yard line

I'm here and I'll be doing my thoughts on impressions and articles I've read about the game and Stafford getting pummeled.

I'll say this though, I watched a little of the Seahawks game. Way to early to tell what's going on this early in the season barring injuries to QBs. No NFC teams have stood out with the exception of the Packers and Cardinals. Starting off 0-2 is by no means a death sentence for the season. The Seahawks are 0-2, the Saints look like garbage. No teams except the ones I mentioned have separated themselves two weeks into the season. And with the talent we have I still like our playoff odds. Next Monday's season opener at home is a must win though.

Throw on the avatar of shame sir.

Short week for the Giants but another home game. Regardless, with the short turnaround there's very little chance we get some key players back. That includes:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - He has a concussion and is still going through the protocol. Jayron Hosely is likely to get the start in his place.

Erek Flowers - Ankle sprain. I loved that this kid tried to tough it out and play but it finally got the best of him midway through the Atlanta game. Doubt he makes it back. Justin Pugh will play LT and John Jerry LG. Much like the final configuration in the game yesterday.

Jon Beason - Still not back from the knee issues. He's doing work on the side in practice but I'd be shocked if he's playing. More Unga in the middle.

Victory Cruz - He's running on grass this week but it won't happen. Don't expect Vic back until next week at the earliest.

Also, Dwayne Harris has a toe injury that he sustained at the end of the game. After having a pretty stellar outing on special teams of course. :/

It's hard to feel good about a win going into the game on Thursday with the Redskins playing competent football. We'll see....

Fantomex

I was going to post yesterday but I was too pissed. These Dolphins are such an embarrassment. We spend all that money for Suh and what has that changed on our d line. We made Bortles look like Brady. FIRE eveyone!!!!! I'm sick of this bullshit, same shit every year. And if Tannehill was this great QB and our future he would be able to move the ball more than 10 yards in the last drive.

Wanna know whats even worse? If they decided to blow it up, or promote Lazor to Head Coach, you're looking at another 3-4 years of 7-9 or 9-7 records. The rebuild/reload with the cap kills you for about 2-3 years. This season is most assuredly 8-8. But that's not even a good enough draft pick to be impactful, unless you pay PIttsburgh scouts to tell you what LB they would take or maybe get Parcells to come back and tell you what OL to draft. feels bad man. Finesse ass Dolphins.

Matthew Stafford: Stafford's line at Minnesota was the perfect microcosm of his career: 32 of 53 for 286 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. Hey, 286 yards, not bad! Yeah, it's bad when it takes 53 attempts to get there.

By the end of the year, Stafford's final line with the Detroit Lions will look decent. It always does. But it's usually because he throws the ball an insane amount of times and can't help but put up some OK counting stats. He still doesn't look any better as a quarterback though, in his seventh season. He didn't have one completion of more than 19 yards. With those weapons? That's criminal.

Stafford is stuck in the Jay Cutler zone: He's getting paid like a franchise quarterback, though he clearly isn't, and the franchise would never let him go although it's clear by now he's not going to take a step forward and they won't win anything with him. If Stafford hasn't broken through yet, it's not going to happen.

image_zpswtffvycg.png

Eli's taking some heat for this, sack fumble and they never got close to scoring again..., most likely Parker would have dropped it anyways..

eznark

Banned
Um, there's no way Starks scores on that play. Kuhn's the only reason he didn't get obliterated right at the 10 yard line

wat? All he has to do is turn Shead inside (which is his job) and the only person left to tackle Starks in Sherman, who can't tackle:

ClutteredLankyGraysquirrel.gif

Article on Romo's clavicle break and what a CT scan might mean for his return (8-12 weeks is what the article posits)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/monday-morning-md-quarterbacks-and-clavicles/

In most cases, an X-ray gives the doctor enough information. In this case a CT scan will be performed to give a three-dimensional assessment of the fracture. The fact that computed tomography is needed most likely means Romo does not have a “clean” break and the doctors want to assess fragments (comminution). This makes the best case 4-6 week target unlikely.

At this point I believe an eight-week return would be a good goal and the team estimates seem to line up with this figure. I don’t envision any medical scenario that would be season-ending. Obviously injury to the left side in a right handed QB helps the recovery timeline, but he still needs to be able to take a hit and use the arm hand off.

If news of surgery is announced today, that is not necessarily bad news. Stable fixation with plate/screws could actually speed healing and return to play. The Cowboys have a top medical staff and will make the right decision for Romo and the team. Remember, this is the same crew that fixed DeMarco Murray’s hand fracture last year and he played without missing a game.

Jordan Raanan:

Didn't walk away overly optimistic on Jon Beason after hearing Tom Coughlin's answer on where he stands physically. #Giants

Did they have an estimated return for Beason originally? Don't even remember.

Crisco

Banned
Beason is truly a beast when he's healthy, but the Giants are learning why the Panther's traded him in the first place. He just can't stay on the field.

Where is Kas? I am waiting for the spin on the loss for the lions.

I hope Kas allows reality to set in. For the sake of his own mental health.

The Lions look bad- and their schedule doesn't do them any favors. They could easily start the season at 0-5 with the Broncos, Seahawks (in Seattle), and Cardinals coming up. For them to have any legitimate shot at a Wild Card (forget the division), they probably can't do worse than 9-7. Based on their entire schedule... man... even after just two weeks at 0-2 that's a big uphill battle for Restoring the Roar.

As a Vikings fan, I can objectively say this team is still maybe a year or two away from being a legitimate threat to GB for the division and I'd consider 8-8 or 9-7 a pretty damn successful year based on the holes they need to fill and a pretty rough schedule overall. They are young, have a second year head coach that is building a tough defense, and have a guy with amazing long-term potential with Bridgewater. Teams like the Lions and Bears seem to be moving in the opposite direction. They are both getting older and are hanging on to players and/or schemes that just aren't working anymore- even with coaching changes. Some bad money management with those two front offices have really hurt those teams.

Stafford looked like a soccer player he was bitching and moaning most of the game yesterday. I'm surprised he didn't injure his shoulder the amount of times he was doing the "throw the flag" motion after incomplete passes. What a fucking baby.

Yeah, Packers fans can feel confident that this division, which was projected to be one of the toughest in the league, could be theirs already after just two weeks- but don't sleep on Minnesota. For those of us that have been watching Zimmer and Bridgewater since last season, that 49ers game was the exception, not the rule. The Lions game was more what we started getting used to in the last quarter of last season: a fast, attacking defense, Bridgewater remaining calm, making plays, not forcing things, and his supporting cast doing their jobs.

Chin up, Kas. It's never a bad thing to be faithful to your team and be optimistic, but when it gets to the point of delusion... well... just be glad the Lions aren't moving to L.A. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom