• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying it isn't for me (only watched a small clip), was just curious why I hadn't heard anything about it. Not sure how long it's been on.
I'd say Dave was doing something different as well. Do you think he's following that mold for the most part?
It's his second week.

re: the Dave mold, I'd say more in spirit than in substance. The Colbert Report got more and more experimental as it went on, and I kind of expect the same thing to happen here. He's basically done one classic-style monologue to open the show -- the first night. The other "monologues" have been short, usually with some other comedy bit mixed in. He's already done CR-style news reports in between guests, turned interviews with guests into skits, and usually leads with a CR/Daily Show style political story. So it's already pretty different from the usual faire.

brentech

Are you seriously trying to compare Rodgers to Smith and Charles here? Come on man.

Pretty sure he very clearly said, "trust your best player". Whether you're the Jags or the Chiefs, you have to trust your best player when you need a play.

When did OT become an automatic win, let alone a win of the coin toss.

They had to go, what, 70-ish yards in 35 seconds with one timeout? A run call there essentially tells me they were killing clock. In that case, just kneel the ball and head into OT.

Exactly, anyone saying put the ball in your best player's hands sounds really stupid. You either try and pass downfield to get in FG range, or you kneel. You NEVER run in that situation, and arguing that you do makes you sound as stupid as Andy Reid.

You have one timeout, and only 35 seconds. A run doesn't stop the clock in most cases. An incomplete pass does.

RBH

cpkb0xvucaasbvm32ss3.png

omg

Oh man

squicken

Chiefs had zero third down conversions, 5 turnovers and got a defensive touchdown. It's insane how good Denver's defense was tonight

After looking at the Broncos next 4 games, a 6-0 start is looking like a strong possibility. The games after that get really rough, but it looks like they're set up pretty well to try and improve week to week to get ready for that rough stretch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He's not Aaron Rodgers. And he already fumbled.

So no, I'm not so sure that trusting him is a given.

So if Aaron Rodgers throws a pick six in the first quarter are you not going to trust him in this situation at the end of the game? That seems silly. The idea that one fumble in the first quarter makes him more prone to fumble at the end of the game doesn't really make any sense.

Striker

They were at the 20, needed 45 yards for realistic FG (52 yarder). Considering Smith had been relying on YAC all game that probably was the thought, hedge and do a run/short pass and hope somebody breaks one.
If they were playing to win, just go to Maclin or Kelce. Or split Charles out wide. They're certainly good enough to go up and get a big play. Running it up the middle like that tells me they're hedging for OT, but they're taking a risk since that very problem can happen.

If Seattle is in this situation, you don't hand it to Lynch. You have lots of yards to cover in such little time. It needs to be aired out.

Tabris

AT FIRST I WAS AFRAID I WAS PETRIFIED
KEPT THINKING I COULD NEVER LIVE
WITHOUT YOU BY MY SIDE
BUT THEN I SPENT SO MANY NIGHTS
THINKING ABOUT THAT LOSS
AND YOU GREW STRONG
AND YOU LEARNED HOW TO GET ALONG
AND SO YOU'RE BACK
FROM NEW ORLEANS
I JUST WALKED IN TO FIND YOU HERE
WITH THAT MANNING LOOK UPON YOUR FACE
I SHOULD HAVE CHANGED THAT STUPID POST
I SHOULD HAVE SEEN YOU WERE FINE
IF I HAD KNOWN FOR JUST ONE SECOND
YOU'D BE BACK TO WIN AGAIN

GO ON NOW GO
THROW THAT TOUCHDOWN
JUST TURN AROUND NOW
CAUSE YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME HERE EVERMORE
WEREN'T YOU THE ONE WHO TRIED TO WIN THAT SUPERBOWL
DID WE THINK YOU'D CRUMBLE
DID WE THINK YOU'D LAY DOWN AND DIE
OH NO, NOT I
YOU WILL SURVIVE
OH AS LONG AS YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE
I KNOW YOU WILL STAY ALIVE
YOU'VE GOT ALL YOUR LIFE TO LIVE
YOU'VE GOT ALL MY LOVE TO GIVE
AND YOU'LL SURVIVE
YOU'LL SURVIVE

Exactly, anyone saying put the ball in your best player's hands sounds really stupid. You either try and pass downfield to get in FG range, or you kneel. You NEVER run in that situation, and arguing that you do makes you sound as stupid as Andy Reid.

You have one timeout, and only 35 seconds. A run doesn't stop the clock in most cases. An incomplete pass does.
It wasn't 70-ish yards, it was 35-40. And realistically that was the only time they could run to surprise the D.
If they were playing to win, just go to Maclin or Kelce. Or split Charles out wide. They're certainly good enough to go up and get a big play. Running it up the middle like that tells me they're hedging for OT, but they're taking a risk since that very problem can happen.

If Seattle is in this situation, you don't hand it to Lynch. You have lots of yards to cover in such little time. It needs to be aired out.
But that involves Alex Smith, which apparently since he threw an INT you couldn't trust anymore.

But seriously I'm sure the dinks and dunks and pray for YAC were coming, the 1st down run was probably to catch the defense in between.

eznark

Banned
He's not Aaron Rodgers. And he already fumbled.

So no, I'm not so sure that trusting him is a given.

He already fumbled so should they bench him the rest of the game? Why is it ok to give him the ball in OT and not there? Or is it not?

Or is this just hindsight?

Zeke

Pretty sure he very clearly said, "trust your best player". Whether you're the Jags or the Chiefs, you have to trust your best player when you need a play.

When did OT become an automatic win, let alone a win of the coin toss.
So trust him in OT. Regroup and let the coaches get ready for OT. Sorry that was was a bone head call.

brentech

It's his second week.

re: the Dave mold, I'd say more in spirit than in substance. The Colbert Report got more and more experimental as it went on, and I kind of expect the same thing to happen here. He's basically done one classic-style monologue to open the show -- the first night. The other "monologues" have been short, usually with some other comedy bit mixed in. He's already done CR-style news reports in between guests, turned interviews with guests into skits, and usually leads with a CR/Daily Show style political story. So it's already pretty different.

Alright. I'll have to check it out for the news stuff.
Last Week Tonight one of my favorite shows on TV right now.

Peyton homers are the worst. He looked dead for two-thirds of the game. The Chiefs gifted that win away with turnovers and terrible play calling.

After looking at the Broncos next 4 games, a 6-0 start is looking like a strong possibility. The games after that get really rough, but it looks like they're set up pretty well to try and improve week to week to get ready for that rough stretch.
Problem is all of those are still tough defenses. It isn't until Green Bay that they play a relatively porous defense. At least it is at home.

They had to go, what, 70-ish yards in 35 seconds with one timeout? A run call there essentially tells me they were killing clock. In that case, just kneel the ball and head into OT.

I don't mind the call. It's one of those things were you see if a play happens to break for some yards. If it does, then you can call some passes and try and get a FG. I've seen it done countless times before. You just can't fumble there.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Rodgers or not my point that most of yall smartly realized was that you should be able to trust your best playmaker with the ball. Period.

If Charles doesn't fumble, we're not even questioning the call because it wasn't that bad. You can hate the outcome but still like the call but you can't hate the call because you hate the outcome.

WITHOUT YOU BY MY SIDE
THINKING ABOUT THAT LOSS
AND YOU GREW STRONG
AND SO YOU'RE BACK
FROM NEW ORLEANS

GO ON NOW GO
THROW THAT TOUCHDOWN
JUST TURN AROUND NOW
OH NO, NOT I
YOU WILL SURVIVE
AND YOU'LL SURVIVE
YOU'LL SURVIVE
The fucking worst

cdyhybrid

He already fumbled so should they bench him the rest of the game? Why is it ok to give him the ball in OT and not there? Or is it not?

Or is this just hindsight?

Because he doesn't need to break a 40 yard run in OT.

If you hand it to him there you have to expect to get into FG range on his run to justify doing it over taking a knee. I don't think you can reasonably expect that.

Tom Penny

I don't mind the call. It's one of those things were you see if a play happens to break for some yards. If it does, then you can call some passes and try and get a FG. I've seen it done countless times before. You just can't fumble there.

You think if the play doesn't work they are going to use a timeout and have Alex Smith make plays and spike the ball then kick a FG? They would have knelt just like they should have in the first place if you come out running.

It wasn't 70-ish yards, it was 35-40. And realistically that was the only time they could run to surprise the D.

Let me out it to you this way: even if Charles doesn't fumble there, it's still a terrible play call. You've made very little yardage and burned the only timeout you have that could theoretically set up the field goal. That's how dumb running there is. The fumble just makes it all the more apparent.

Like I don't get the counter argument, I literally see it done by teams all the time.

Put it this way: If Charles didn't fumble are we complaining that it's a bad play? No.
Let me out it to you this way: even if Charles doesn't fumble there, it's still a terrible play call. You've made very little yardage and burned the only timeout you have that could theoretically set up the field goal. That's how dumb running there is. The fumble just makes it all the more apparent.
You think if the play doesn't work they are going to use a timeout and have Alex Smith make plays and spike the ball then kick a FG? They would have knelt just like they should have in the first place if you come out running.
Exactly, run gets big yardage they keep moving. Run gets stuffed, they kneel. It's a hedge.

bionic77

:lol @ putting the ball in your best players hands.

Why didn't Andy do that in the redzone in their previous trips or just feed him more often?

Reid was playing for OT and the safe play. Bit him in his very huge ass. That's honestly a pretty safe play. That's on the RB. I would have thrown to the sidelines and then gone down the middle and hoped for a FG but it seems like KC wanted to give the game away so badly that I think they would have collectively found a way no matter the play call.

eznark

Banned

It's pretty fucking standard when you like your halfback more than your quarterback. Baffling that people are losing their minds at the call.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Because he doesn't need to break a 40 yard run in OT.

If you hand it to him there you have to expect to get into FG range on his run to justify doing it over taking a knee. I don't think you can reasonably expect that.

No you don't. They still had a timeout left. If he gets a first down you call a timeout and try to get into FG range from there. If he doesn't then you just go to OT.

Striker

But that involves Alex Smith, which apparently since he threw an INT you couldn't trust anymore.

But seriously I'm sure the dinks and dunks and pray for YAC were coming, the 1st down run was probably to catch the defense in between.
If they can't trust Alex to throw passed 5 yards then I'm not sure what to say. They have some talent surrounding him.

Even with Charles going down at that spot, they're now either in rapid hurry up mode or using their final timeout. At that point they're airing it out anyways.

WITHOUT YOU BY MY SIDE
THINKING ABOUT THAT LOSS
AND YOU GREW STRONG
AND SO YOU'RE BACK
FROM NEW ORLEANS

GO ON NOW GO
THROW THAT TOUCHDOWN
JUST TURN AROUND NOW
OH NO, NOT I
YOU WILL SURVIVE
AND YOU'LL SURVIVE
YOU'LL SURVIVE
Is this for real? Peyton pulled a Tebow and didn't look good for 2/3s of the game. I wouldn't be singing praises just yet.

If they can't trust Alex to throw passed 5 yards then I'm not sure what to say. They have some talent surrounding him.

Even with Charles going down at that spot, they're now either in rapid hurry up mode or using their final timeout. At that point they're airing it out anyways.
or... they then could go to OT. I mean I've seen Alex Smith enough in his Niners days playing Oakland, so he is what he is. Dude is living off Charles and now Kelce and Maclin.

eznark

Banned

He doesn't break one they go to OT. It's taking a knee while giving your best player a chance to make a play.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

This. The fumble is irrelevant. They'd have limped into OT no better than had they just taken a knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom