• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Like I don't get the counter argument, I literally see it done by teams all the time.

Put it this way: If Charles didn't fumble are we complaining that it's a bad play? No.

Exactly, run gets big yardage they keep moving. Run gets stuffed, they kneel. It's a hedge.

You see lots of teams do all kinds of dumb shit all the time (trust me, I'm an expert). Doesn't mean it's the right call.

If you're going for the win you throw the ball, but Alex can't do it so they're relying on Charles to do it for them.

No you don't. They still had a timeout left. If he gets a first down you call a timeout and try to get into FG range from there. If he doesn't then you just go to OT.

He gets a ~10 yard first down and they have 30-35 seconds to go another ~30 yards. I don't like my odds there with Alex Smith as my QB, against a good defense, and with how shitty their offense was that game. You are banking on Charles to make a big play against a good defense there.

It's pretty fucking standard when you like your halfback more than your quarterback. Baffling that people are losing their minds at the call.

I'm not losing my mind, I just think it's dumb.

You think if the play doesn't work they are going to use a timeout and have Alex Smith make plays and spike the ball then kick a FG? They would have knelt just like they should have in the first place if you come out running.

That's the point, you try the run and see if it breaks. If you kneel on it, you're guaranteed nothing. Sure, you're also guaranteed to not fumble. But I'm not going to fault a coach playing to win the game. You of all people should know that. John Madden at one point wanted Belicheat to sit on it and play for OT in the SB. How did that one turn out?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
He is Tabris, blind faith in the Manning is his thing

He's not ready to admit that Peyton looks like ass these days.

Two games in a row is starting to look like a trend of (comparatively) shitty play for him. Still better than most right now but that's not saying much.

Peyton homers are the worst. He looked dead for two-thirds of the game. The Chiefs gifted that win away with turnovers and terrible play calling.

Akin to people who keep saying Floyd Mayweather's the greatest when his fights nowadays suck shit, or people saying Tom Brady is back to destroying the league because he "dominated" the Steelers last week when their defense sucked shit and Gronk again carried them on his back. Oh but the commentators were right there saying every throw was great, even when it was picked, etc.

Just because history's written by the winners, doesn't mean it's accurate and not whitewashed

This. The fumble is irrelevant. They'd have limped into OT no better than had they just taken a knee.
Except it sets up the incorrect argument that once you run it you have to keep going for the field goal/TD.

They could just cut their losses based off of the success of the play and goto OT.

He's not ready to admit that Peyton looks like ass these days.

Two games in a row is starting to look like a trend of (comparatively) shitty play for him. Still better than most right now but that's not saying much.
tbh, with as clearly dead as Peyton's arm is that last 2 minute drive was pretty damn impressive.

Akin to people who keep saying Floyd Mayweather's the greatest when his fights nowadays suck shit, or people saying Tom Brady is back to destroying the league because he "dominated" the Steelers last week when their defense sucked shit and Gronk again carried them on his back. Oh but the commentators were right there saying every throw was great, even when it was picked, etc.

Just because history's written by the winners, doesn't mean it's accurate and not whitewashed
You need to watch how you talk

cdyhybrid

Except it sets up the incorrect argument that once you run it you have to keep going for the field goal/TD.

They could just cut their losses based off of the success of the play and goto OT.

Then you're essentially gambling that running it once won't hurt. Charles already fumbled in the game. Seems like a dangerous bet to me.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
tbh, with as clearly dead as Peyton's arm is that last 2 minute drive was pretty damn impressive.

Oh sure it was fun to watch that drive because it was what we're used to seeing.

Overall this feels like shades of Brent in 2010. They'll be scooping him off the grass come December.

He gets a ~10 yard first down and they have 30-35 seconds to go another ~30 yards. I don't like my odds there with Alex Smith as my QB, against a good defense, and with how shitty their offense was that game. You are banking on Charles to make a big play against a good defense there.
That's the whole offense! Dinks and dunks to much more talented players and let them YAC it! That's how Smith nearly got to a SuperBowl!

The longest pass Smith threw in the game was like 8 yards!
Then you're essentially gambling that running it once won't hurt. Charles already fumbled in the game. Seems like a dangerous bet to me.
I don't even know how to respond to this. You're basically saying to bench your best player after a mistake/fumble. Not a scrub, your best player. that doesn't really happen in football.

Tom Penny

That's the point, you try the run and see if it breaks. If you kneel on it, you're guaranteed nothing. Sure, you're also guaranteed to not fumble. But I'm not going to fault a coach playing to win the game. You of all people should know that. John Madden at one point wanted Belicheat to sit on it and play for OT in the SB. How did that one turn out?

No you come out throwing if you really want to win the game. You have one time out. Realistically winning that game requires out patterns to get get out of bounds or chunk yardage which your not getting with a run that also causes you to auto burn a timeout. Try two chunk yardage pass plays that don't work and it doesn't even matter because you can still kneel and go OT because Denver had no timeouts.

Zeke

No you don't. They still had a timeout left. If he gets a first down you call a timeout and try to get into FG range from there. If he doesn't then you just go to OT.
So then you trust Alex Smith to get you in range? Sounds worse than giving Charles the ball imo

squicken

If you watched a National Football League game last weekend, chances are you saw at least one advertisement suggesting you could become a millionaire playing daily fantasy football.
And if you didn’t, odds are still pretty high that DraftKings, FanDuel, or both have advertised on your television, computer screen, smartphone, or stadium scoreboard.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that these two competitors have spent more than $101 million dollars on television ads over the past month and a half, buying nearly 30,000 airings.

I will vote for whichever candidate promises to shut these things down. Save us, Huckabee!

cdyhybrid

That's the whole offense! Dinks and dunks to much more talented players and let them YAC it! That's how Smith nearly got to a SuperBowl!

The longest pass Smith threw in the game was like 8 yards!

I don't even know how to respond to this. You're basically saying to bench your best player after a mistake/fumble. Not a scrub, your best player. that doesn't really happen in football.

Benching? What? Do you have to send him to the locker room for OT if you take a knee there? Did football adopt pinch running?

So then you trust Alex Smith to get you in range? Sounds worse than giving Charles the ball imo

I don't trust anyone on that offense to get me in range there with that little time left - that's the point.

No you come out throwing if you really want to win the game. You have one time out. Realistically winning that game requires out patterns to get get out of bounds or chunk yardage which your not getting with a run that also causes you to auto burn a timeout. Try two chunk yardage pass plays that don't work and it doesn't even matter because you can still kneel and go OT because Denver had no timeouts.

Running the ball is the Chefs strength. And, regardless of what happened here, it's safer than passing. The object is to try and set your team up for easier pass attempts to get into FG range by getting lucky with a good run. If the play pops, great, keep it going for the FG try. If it doesn't, let the clock run and take it to OT. Your star player is supposed to hold onto the ball.

Zeke

Benching? What? Do you have to send him to the locker room for OT if you take a knee there? Did football adopt pinch running?

I don't trust anyone on that offense to get me in range there with that little time left - that's the point.
I'm in total agreement with you. Take the knee regroup and give your players a fighting chance in OT. I sure as fuck don't want Alex throwing the ball especially when you have a guy like talib back there. The defense already knows your gonna throw so now you have a D that will rush 3 and drop everyone else into coverage.

One of the more entertaining TNF games in some time. Still can't believe that ending. Poor KC fans, the definition of giving the game away.

Hunter S.

Sick burn bro

We will have our dance later in the season

afc%201.jpg

Chiggs

Gold Member
I went to a chargers chiefs game a while ago and both fanbases are really ugly. There were multiple fights that broke out infront of me.

I was at a Broncos/Chargers game in late 2013 where the Broncos were upset by the Chargers 27-20. In the parking lot after the game, I'm pretty sure I saw two stabbings, multiple fights and some drunk guy ramming his F-250 into a Scion. Police were nowhere to be found, and even if they were they wouldn't have fucked with any of these nutjobs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ur-people-stabbed-after-broncos-chargers-game

It was horrifying. Sadly, the folks doing all of this were Denver fans.

Why does it have to be a TD run? Hey, why not more? Let him cure fucking cancer too. Bring the Democrats and the Republicans together. Prove aliens exist...

All Charles had to do is not fumble. He at worst gets stuffed and with his talent could pull off a nice run, which is was until the fumble. He is the best player and is a home run hitter. You trust your best player not to fuck up.

yeah. This is one of thos 99%-97%ers, with the upside of a win. What a shame for him to lose that percentage battle (admittedly the percentage is driven and run out of my asshole).

Chiggs

Gold Member
Bronco fans are the best.

I was also at the AFC Championship game where the Broncos defeated the Patriots 26-16. The pot smoke was so goddamn thick on Federal Blvd, I probably wouldn't have passed a drug test had my company screened me.

I also saw several couples fucking on random lawns as I walked back to the Safeway where I had parked my car, and then a limo full of topless women doing body shots in a liquor store parking lot near 38th Ave.

Incredibly bizarre.

Hunter S.

I was also at the AFC Championship game where the Broncos defeated the Patriots 26-16. The pot smoke was so goddamn thick on Federal Blvd, I probably wouldn't have passed a drug test had my company screened me.

I also saw several couples fucking on random lawns as I walked back to the Safeway where I had parked my car, and then a limo full of topless women doing body shots in a liquor store parking lot near 38th Ave.

Incredibly bizarre.

Sounds like good old Colorado peace, love, and maryjane to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom