• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodaRuss

I was at the game last night, first night at Arrowhead and the crowd was impressive. It was like a college game, no one ever sat down and they were loud as hell.

Going to cowboys games leaves a lot to be desired in that catagory.

I was definitely rooting for KC but what a gut punch the end was. Feel bad for Charles.

Strange that no one reported Jones had requested his release.

I think Striker had mentioned it a couple of times during all of the hub bub about Jones' performance and Parker's lack thereof. I have no clue where he sourced it though or if it had just been as assumption given that folks thought Cruz would be ready day one prior to the calf injury.

Zeke

Sidelines exist too. Also, if he doesn't do it he doesn't do it. You have a 0% chance to win on a kneel down. Reid at least gave them some chance.
So then you trust Smith to get you there? Dude went 16 for 25. Smith isn't the type of qb that's going to pick chunks of yards for you.

this_guy

You stated your opinion as a mathematical fact, was I incorrect in assuming you had data to rely on?

If I look up Chiefs WPA numbers I'm confident that any additional touch Charles has results in a positive impact on KC's Win Probability.

Again - in that situation. That situation - 30+seconds to go with one time on your own 20. You want numbers, I only know of one time in this situation for Charles and the Chiefs and it failed. So it failed 100% of the time in this situation. Show me otherwise, in a similar situation, where the Chiefs won by running a draw. You said odds increase so you must have something in mind.

Again, I'm not talking about total touches for Charles per game, but just that type of situation.

eznark

Banned
Ok, yes, you are correct. Had Andy Reid known with certainty the outcome then he should not have given it to Charles. Or he should have and made sure he gambled accordingly.

No one has said it would have resulted in them winning, just that it increases the odds of doing so over taking a knee. A kneel down in a tie game actually might have -WPA as there is the opportunity for random negatives but no positives. Unlike a run which has realistic positives but minimal negatives, in terms of WPA.

I'm not going to comb through 60 years of data to try and find a situation identical to that one. Plays with a small possibility of positive outcomes are more likely to result in a win than plays with zero possibility of positive outcomes.

So then you trust Smith to get you there? Dude went 16 for 25. Smith isn't the type of qb that's going to pick chunks of yards for you.

20 yard run 20 yard pass and at least you are in hail mary range. Or not. You didn't need to score to win. No downside to the run, unless you are coaching scared.

More from James Jones on his release from the Giants:

http://www.bigblueview.com/ny-giant...w-york-giant-preston-parker-green-bay-packers

" ... in New York, I was just behind from Day 1. By that I mean, they already had the guys they wanted. You've got Rueben Randle, who came off a great year last year, he's a draft pick, and you've obviously got Victor Cruz and Odell Beckham, Jr. So I felt like they already had their top three," Jones said. "From talking to [Tom] Coughlin, he was telling me I had a great camp, and I was one of the best receivers out there--I led the whole team in preseason--but these other guys they are going to go with. And I understood that. And to be honest with you, I told Coach Coughlin that I didn't want to be one of those guys who dressed one week, didn't dress another week, especially me going on nine years in the NFL. I wanted to have the opportunity to go somewhere and play and be a part of an offense.

"They already had the guys they wanted, so I think it was just out of respect for me to let me go, because I really wasn't going to be a big part of the offense, because they already had their top three guys they wanted, whether I outplayed them or not."

Parker made the team based on the fact that he played special teams and he did have a solid season in 2014 despite having the same levels of inconsistency.

MechDX

No helmet for DT Star Lotulelei unless somebody brings him one. Appeared to favor slightly the right foot that has sidelined him. #Panthers

Luke Kuechly signing autographs on his way to practice. Not in pads

Hhmmmmm.....

Ryan warming up that six shooter.

Zeke

20 yard run 20 yard pass and at least you are in hail mary range. Or not. You didn't need to score to win. No downside to the run, unless you are coaching scared.
Sorry I don't trust Smith going deep. Maybe if we're talking about Rodgers, brees, rivers, Brady, Romo:)D) or prime manning sure.

eznark

Banned
Sorry I don't trust Smith going deep. Maybe if we're talking about Rodgers, brees, rivers, Brady, Romo:)D) or prime manning sure.

That's why you give it to Charles and only let Smith throw when a turnover would be mostly irrelevant.

You really only throw if you can get into FG range with a 20 yard gain or so. That means Smith would be throwing a pick at like the 50, worst case and with only a few ticks left on the clock.

The run doesn't necessitate the pass, it just gives you the option of continuing the drive.

Man I know its early but the AFC is fucking garbage. Pats have a real shot to make it back to the super bowl.

The Pats are unfortunately the best team in a shitty conference. It'll be interesting to see whether the Bills or Fins have improved enough to at least get them to sweat during the regular season.

That being said, I wonder what new movies are coming out in January 2016, because I will not watch another SB with the Pats or Ravens playing in it. The last two have already robbed me of a good 10 years of my life....

Pepiope

Few people thought Lesean actually regressed and assumed it was a steal of a trade, so that fault is kinda understandable
Steal

kiko.0.gif

That's why you give it to Charles and only let Smith throw when a turnover would be mostly irrelevant.

You really only throw if you can get into FG range with a 20 yard gain or so. That means Smith would be throwing a pick at like the 50, worst case and with only a few ticks left on the clock.

The run doesn't necessitate the pass, it just gives you the option of continuing the drive.

I don't disagree with you, I am just surprised you are such a fan of a non-conservative approach when it seemed like you were all on board with McCarthy's very conservative approach in the playoffs last year.

eznark

Banned
I don't disagree with you, I am just surprised you are such a fan of a non-conservative approach when it seemed like you were all on board with McCarthy's very conservative approach in the playoffs last year.

I wasn't on board with it, in that some of those decisions are decisions I would not have made, but I didn't think they were awful either. The Packers were controlling the game, defense was lights out, put points on the board and keep the pressure on the Seahawks offense. It wasn't egregious or anything and it worked as intended. The offense did not lose that football game.

Similarly I don't think either decision last night would have been awful. Acting as though running the ball was a clearly idiotic decision is what I'm laughing at.

PBS Frontline: New: 87 Deceased NFL Players Test Positive for Brain Disease

A total of 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for the brain disease at the center of the debate over concussions in football, according to new figures from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on the study of traumatic head injury.

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have now identified the degenerative disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in 96 percent of NFL players that they’ve examined and in 79 percent of all football players. The disease is widely believed to stem from repetitive trauma to the head, and can lead to conditions such as memory loss, depression and dementia.

In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school.

Forty percent of those who tested positive were the offensive and defensive linemen who come into contact with one another on every play of a game, according to numbers shared by the brain bank with FRONTLINE. That finding supports past research suggesting that it’s the repeat, more minor head trauma that occurs regularly in football that may pose the greatest risk to players, as opposed to just the sometimes violent collisions that cause concussions.

But the figures come with several important caveats, as testing for the disease can be an imperfect process. Brain scans have been used to identify signs of CTE in living players, but the disease can only be definitively identified posthumously. As such, many of the players who have donated their brains for testing suspected that they had the disease while still alive, leaving researchers with a skewed population to work with.

Even with those caveats, the latest numbers are “remarkably consistent” with past research from the center suggesting a link between football and long-term brain disease, said Dr. Ann McKee, the facility’s director and chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System.

more at link

Kiko's awesome but the Eagles' D is still putrid so I don't know...

The Eagles in general were putrid in the first half of that game. They seemed to clean up things on both sides of the ball in the second half. I mean the did hold the Falcons to six points in the second half of the game, although part of that was they got really conservative with their play calling, but I think the coverage on Jones was also better in the second half. I just think it's stupid that they keep putting single coverage on the best receivers in the NFL. Other than that they weren't even that bad.

LJ11

Great pick, now show all the missed tackles and his atrocious run D in that particular game. He was god awful. Now I love Kiko in pass coverage, but Kiko the run defender is another story. Would still rather have Kiko, but his game needs work.

Hindl

Kiko's awesome but the Eagles' Secondary is still putrid so I don't know...

Fixed. We have a really good front 7, although they didn't really get the pass rush going until later in the game. But our Secondary still shit even with Maxwell. Although I'm not blaming Maxwell, it's the same bullshit coverage schemes that Bill Davis runs. The exact same problems happened for the last 3 games last year, and it's obvious he's done nothing to change that

Great pick, now show all the missed tackles and his atrocious run D in that particular game. He was god awful. Now I love Kiko in pass coverage, but Kiko the run defender is another story. Would still rather have Kiko, but his game needs work.

He wasn't great, but in his defense he basically missed almost all of the preseason.

Narag

Bulaga officially ruled out.

Had no idea there were so many cowards in NFL GAF. If you can't trust your RB to carry the football he shouldn't be on the roster.

Break a 20 yard run, call the time out. Run a play to the sidelines to try and get in FG range in Denver, so only another 25 yards or so.

Worst case he is tackled and you go to overtime. You can't coach assuming your best player is going to turn the ball over or you would never be able to do anything.

All the talk reminds me of Belichick goung for it on 4th and 2 to win the game in Indy a few years back. Nonstop second guessing after only because it didn't work out even if it was the right call to make.

Zeke

The Eagles in general were putrid in the first half of that game. They seemed to clean up things on both sides of the ball in the second half. I mean the did hold the Falcons to six points in the second half of the game, although part of that was they got really conservative with their play calling, but I think the coverage on Jones was also better in the second half. I just think it's stupid that they keep putting single coverage on the best receivers in the NFL. Other than that they weren't even that bad.
Makes even sadder that Dez is out this game. Eagles leaving him one on one would have been amazing. I'm pretty excited about this game I think both teams are going to rebound and play sharper. I'm really intrested in seeing the eagles dline perform.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So people don't get ignorant.

Josh McCown is still in the concussion protocol. This is why Manziel is starting this Sunday.

They haven't pushed him aside, he's concussed and unable to practice or play.

Jarnet87

McClown would have lost the job at some point. the concussion just makes it faster. Good chance they go back to him towards the end to secure dat top pick. It's what the Bucs did last year.

Fixed. We have a really good front 7, although they didn't really get the pass rush going until later in the game. But our Secondary still shit even with Maxwell. Although I'm not blaming Maxwell, it's the same bullshit coverage schemes that Bill Davis runs. The exact same problems happened for the last 3 games last year, and it's obvious he's done nothing to change that

oh shit, I forgot your coordinator was Davis...he's trash. Took too long to can his ass but ever since our D has been great.

Hindl

Makes even sadder that Dez is out this game. Eagles leaving him one on one would have been amazing. I'm pretty excited about this game I think both teams are going to rebound and play sharper. I'm really intrested in seeing the eagles dline perform.

Don't worry Billy D will make Beasley look like Dez with his schemes

oh shit, I forgot your coordinator was Davis...he's trash. Took too long to can his ass but ever since our D has been great.

Yeah I mean our secondary doesn't have a TON of talent, but dude is inept

Narag

So people don't get ignorant.

Josh McCown is still in the concussion protocol. This is why Manziel is starting this Sunday.

They haven't pushed him aside, he's concussed and unable to practice or play.

Gonna be another Alex smith/Kaep style passing of the torch.

Yeah it should be good football. Even though it's easier for the Eagles to win without Dez in the game, I'd rather he were there (not just because I hate to see talent lost to injuries) because I want to see if the secondary can handle top receivers with the right approach.

It's interesting because last year during Thanksgiving the dline was able to get at Romo, and they were able to stop the run both times. On paper it should be a much better defensive line, but they didn't look great on Monday. Falcons max protect made for basically zero pass rush.

Zeke

Yeah it should be good football. Even though it's easier for the Eagles to win without Dez in the game, I'd rather he were there (not just because I hate to see talent lost to injuries) because I want to see if the secondary can handle top receivers with the right approach.

It's interesting because last year during Thanksgiving the dline was able to get at Romo, and they were able to stop the run both times. On paper it should be a much better defensive line, but they didn't look great on Monday. Falcons max protect made for basically zero pass rush.
That's what worries me. I feel the run game is weaker without Murray. I know lot of cowboys would disagree with me. With Murray back there last season teams had to respect the run and I don't feel teams are going to do that this season unless one of the backs breaks out.

gutshot

Yeah, I'm starting to think Davis is the problem. His stints as D coordinator have been consistently bad. Here are the rankings his defenses landed in in points and yards given up.

2005 49ers 32nd YPG / 30th PPG
2006 49ers 26th YPG / 32nd PPG
2009 Cardinals 20th YPG / 14th PPG
2010 Cardinals 29th YPG / 30th PPG
2013 Eagles 29th YPG / 17th PPG
2014 Eagles 28th YPG / 22nd PPG

Basically, he had one league average defense in 2009 and one lucky defense in 2013. The rest have ranged from bad to horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom