• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people don't get ignorant.

Josh McCown is still in the concussion protocol. This is why Manziel is starting this Sunday.

They haven't pushed him aside, he's concussed and unable to practice or play.
Who currrares, MCcowns gonna have tons of down time anyway the way he plays with reckless abandonment. It was pretty evident in the preseason. He honestly went down a lot quicker then I thought he might

Browns are dismantling this offseason anyway, who cares who's starting that causes it at this point

elyNoMo.jpg

Pepiope

Great pick, now show all the missed tackles and his atrocious run D in that particular game. He was god awful. Now I love Kiko in pass coverage, but Kiko the run defender is another story. Would still rather have Kiko, but his game needs work.
He did miss all of last-season and only got to play in a drive or two during the 4th pre-season game.

This was only the 17th game of his career.

ampere

Love that the OP chose to cut out the part where all the players who donated their brains thought there were issues.

Talk about selection bias

You say that like CTE isn't a big deal, but I agree that overall stats on how many NFL players get CTE and how prevalent CTE is in the general population would be interesting.

Hindl

The person who kept the Eagles in that game is Matt Ryan.

Won't deny that. Could've been even worse if Jenkins could catch a ball. Seems like starting out strong is still an issue. A beat up Cowboys for the home opener could be a good bounce back game. Still, probably gonna be an ugly battle

eznark

Banned
You say that like CTE isn't a big deal, but I agree that overall stats on how many NFL players get CTE and how prevalent CTE is in the general population would be interesting.

No I don't, I say it like the study isn't a big deal. It's a bad study.

If you ask 100 people who think they have aids to get tested for aids and 95 of them come back with aids would you conclude aids the biggest issue in the world?

Striker

I think Striker had mentioned it a couple of times during all of the hub bub about Jones' performance and Parker's lack thereof. I have no clue where he sourced it though or if it had just been as assumption given that folks thought Cruz would be ready day one prior to the calf injury.
Pretty much.

He didn't play specials or the slot, so he didn't have much of an edge with the expectations of Victor coming back. But it has to be frustrating fo them to see Cruz still on the sideline.

The recent Q&A with McAdoo I was hoping somebody would ask about Rueben Randle. He's struggled so far to get any separation and make plays. He has to get over that hump otherwise the pass offense is going to continue to struggle.

MechDX

Rick Smith announces that the decision was made to change surface of NRG Stadium from natural grass trays to to turf. #Texans

Texans will play on an artificial surface for the remainder of 2015 but Rick Smith says the hope is to find a better tray system.

ampere

If you ask 100 people who think they have aids to get tested for aids and 95 of them come back with aids would you conclude aids the biggest issue in the world?

The article makes it clear that those factors skew the data. It's not as useful as a study that analyzes every former player's brain, but it's not exactly easy to get everyone to donate their brain tissue.

Hunter S.

Tabris must have forgotten how good Manning used to be if he thinks that he's back.

That throw to Sanders was nothing compared to the shit he used to hit on the regular. Did look reminiscent of old Peyton though. Chiefs shouldn't have been in it to be frank, too many turnovers.

To be fair, all we wanna do is win. Even if Peyton is obviously aging. To have, the expectation that he would play like his prime would mean the person has about as much intelligence as pond scum laying amongst bacteria and parasite at the bottom of a lake.

eznark

Banned
The article makes it clear that those factors skew the data. It's not as useful as a study that analyzes every former player's brain, but it's not exactly easy to get everyone to donate their brain tissue.

Yeah, the article is good. The study is flawed in a fundamental and significant manner if you are trying to use it to draw conclusions.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rick Smith announces that the decision was made to change surface of NRG Stadium from natural grass trays to to turf. #Texans

Texans will play on an artificial surface for the remainder of 2015 but Rick Smith says the hope is to find a better tray system.

phew

Of course now I expect something bad to happen on this new field cause that's just how shit works here. lol

this_guy

Has artificial turf improved since the old days where it felt like cement? It has to be at least better for the players than the uneven seams that were present on the current grass.

MechDX

Has artificial turf improved since the old days where it felt like cement? It has to be at least better for the players than the uneven seams that were present on the current grass.

It's no longer Astros Turf. Field Turf is more natural feeling and has more give. I played on astroturf and that shit hurt. Bad.

NRG already has a field turf field they use for college and high school games

Yup, not that CTE isn't an issue but further study is needed.

jbug617

Banned
More heat on the NFL
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...-nfl-players-test-positive-for-brain-disease/

CPMZMLEWoAAtXtW.png

A total of 87 out of 91 former NFL players have tested positive for the brain disease at the center of the debate over concussions in football, according to new figures from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on the study of traumatic head injury.

Researchers with the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University have now identified the degenerative disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, in 96 percent of NFL players that they’ve examined and in 79 percent of all football players. The disease is widely believed to stem from repetitive trauma to the head, and can lead to conditions such as memory loss, depression and dementia.

In total, the lab has found CTE in the brain tissue in 131 out of 165 individuals who, before their deaths, played football either professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school.

Forty percent of those who tested positive were the offensive and defensive linemen who come into contact with one another on every play of a game, according to numbers shared by the brain bank with FRONTLINE. That finding supports past research suggesting that it’s the repeat, more minor head trauma that occurs regularly in football that may pose the greatest risk to players, as opposed to just the sometimes violent collisions that cause concussions.

But the figures come with several important caveats, as testing for the disease can be an imperfect process. Brain scans have been used to identify signs of CTE in living players, but the disease can only be definitively identified posthumously. As such, many of the players who have donated their brains for testing suspected that they had the disease while still alive, leaving researchers with a skewed population to work with.

Even with those caveats, the latest numbers are “remarkably consistent” with past research from the center suggesting a link between football and long-term brain disease, said Dr. Ann McKee, the facility’s director and chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System.

“People think that we’re blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we’re sensationalizing it,” said McKee, who runs the lab as part of a collaboration between the VA and BU. “My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have had no problem identifying it in hundreds of players.”

In a statement, a spokesman for the NFL said, “We are dedicated to making football safer and continue to take steps to protect players, including rule changes, advanced sideline technology, and expanded medical resources. We continue to make significant investments in independent research through our gifts to Boston University, the [National Institutes of Health] and other efforts to accelerate the science and understanding of these issues.”

Zeke

Ugh that cte thread is getting dumb already. Any of you ever wonder about yourselves? I remember thinking "well I wasn't never concussed I'm fine!" Got my bell rung a few times but never had a concussion. Then they came out saying linemen had it worse that didn't make me feel good.

bionic77

The Pats are unfortunately the best team in a shitty conference. It'll be interesting to see whether the Bills or Fins have improved enough to at least get them to sweat during the regular season.

That being said, I wonder what new movies are coming out in January 2016, because I will not watch another SB with the Pats or Ravens playing in it. The last two have already robbed me of a good 10 years of my life....
You are a smart man.

Star Wars will still be in theaters in January and probably February so you are covered there.

MechDX

Ugh that cte thread is getting dumb already. Any of you ever wonder about yourselves? I remember thinking "well I wasn't never concussed I'm fine!" Got my bell rung a few times but never had a concussion. Then they came out saying linemen had it worse that didn't make me feel good.

Getting your bell rung is a concussion. I had a couple in high school. Of course back then we were given two aspirin and told to quit being a pussy and get back out there.

I am pretty sure my dad has something like CTE from a car accident he was in. It really does change a person. He went from having a really sharp memory to having a terrible memory. He got super aggressive when driving, less stable moods, etc. Head injuries aren't anything to fool around with.

bionic77

How many of them have herniated discs in their neck and back along with damage and accelerated arthritis to their knees and shoulders? How many have heart disease and other issues from being overweight or abusing steroids?

Newsflash, football is not great for your health.

Now let's continue our fake internet outrage for a few days until we move onto the next fake Internet controversy.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The NFL should pour a billion dollars into doing something with the helmets. I really think they need to pad the outside of the shell, but that's just my opinion.

jmdajr

I'm not for banning football. Just let them know the risks. Sign the waivers and go forward. Whatever new risks you discover, let them know.

bionic77

The NFL should pour a billion dollars into doing something with the helmets. I really think they need to pad the outside of the shell, but that's just my opinion.
Playing football will always be bad for you unless they make it non contact.

If it really bothers you you have to just stop watching. Otherwise this is fake Internet outrage.

I am going to keep watching it but maybe I am an asshole.

MechDX

Need some new space age energy absorbing material to make helmets out of. Kind of like fictional Vibranium in the Marvel universe.

Saw a cg rendering of a brain getting a concussion. The brain is bouncing off the inside of the skull like a ping pong ball. Something has to absorb that energy and direct it away from the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom