• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 51s51 seconds ago
Falcons WR Roddy White with respect for DRC/Prince: "To me, [the Giants] have better corners than the guys we played last week." #NYG
byronmaxwell.jpg

ampere

The NFL should pour a billion dollars into doing something with the helmets. I really think they need to pad the outside of the shell, but that's just my opinion.

Need some new space age energy absorbing material to make helmets out of. Kind of like fictional Vibranium in the Marvel universe.

Saw a cg rendering of a brain getting a concussion. The brain is bouncing off the inside of the skull like a ping pong ball. Something has to absorb that energy and direct it away from the head.

Yea the brain movement in the skull is the biggest problem. Outside of injecting some soft shock absorbing material into players' skulls, I'm not sure how you could prevent that. And that would increase pressure on the brain anyway and probably be a bad thing. Also, it'd be insane.

Ban helmets.

Yea, if there were no helmets and players avoided head contact as a result there might be fewer concussions. It's not intuitive

jmdajr

My only outrage is with not letting than know all the risks. Why hide it?

But, no one is forcing anyone to play the game.

Zeke

Getting your bell rung is a concussion. I had a couple in high school. Of course back then we were given two aspirin and told to quit being a pussy and get back out there.
Maybe they weren't real serious I guess. I never forgot chunks of time or where I was or got confused. Mostly a bit dizzy and little groggy for minute. Yea that sounds like coach alright "pop an aspirin and drink plenty of water when you get home." Putting it nicely of course.

Trey

Need some new space age energy absorbing material to make helmets out of. Kind of like fictional Vibranium in the Marvel universe.

also known as the singularity. You solve dampening the force of impact in football in a safe and efficient way, pretty much everything is going to be made out of the stuff.

bionic77

My only outrage is with not letting than know all the risks. Why hide it?

But, no one is forcing anyone to play the game.
The outrage is for high school and kids younger than 18 who risk the same injuries and are underage and get no compensation for it.

They are the ones that really need to be educated about the risks of football. Most of them are just playing to get laid.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Saw a cg rendering of a brain getting a concussion. The brain is bouncing off the inside of the skull like a ping pong ball. Something has to absorb that energy and direct it away from the head.

Padding the outer shell would be as much about making it worthless as a point of first contact as it would be about protection.

eznark

Banned
Yea, if there were no helmets and players avoided head contact as a result there might be fewer concussions. It's not intuitive

When I was at BU they had just started getting into their now groundbreaking concussions research and I went a few talks the researchers put on explaining what they were doing, how they were doing it, etc.

One of the women said she viewed the advanced helmets as cortisone. They mask the damage being done allowing for reckless behavior which will be amplified ten-fold with age. I found that super compelling.

jmdajr

I don't think any equipment will make it safe. You just make stricter rules about when you can come back in the game after suffering one. Which I am sure lots of players won't be happy about.

I've read worries that instead of sliding off other helmets and pads, there is a risk that softer helmets might catch/grip when you make contact and thus increase the chance of neck injuries.

I don't know how accurate that is, could just be helmet manufacturers spreading BS as I haven't seen any studies.

eznark

Banned
I've read worries that instead of sliding off other helmets and pads, there is a risk that softer helmets might catch/grip when you make contact and thus increase the chance of neck injuries.

I don't know how accurate that is, could just be helmet manufacturers spreading BS as I haven't seen any studies.

Does it happen a lot in rugby?

I don't think any equipment will make it safe. You just make stricter rules about when you can come back in the game after suffering one. Which I am sure lots of players won't be happy about.

Except it's almost less about the big hits where it's clear a guy got his bell rung. It's the cumulative effect of continuously jarring the head. Linemen are basically taking what, 40-50 quick jabs to the head every game. Imagine doing that for 10+ years.

My son got bonked on the head three times over the course of two days. None of the hits actually rang his bell. He missed a check on a guy who scooted out of the way and the back of his head hit the glass. He took a high elbow from someone to the side of the head the next day and then in one of those crazy pileups in front the net the top of his head hit the goal post. Three different smaller incidents, none of them major hits, over the course of roughly 30 hours... and it led to a major concussion, migraines, missed school, therapy, etc. He still suffers from migraines.

Concussions suck. While I agree banning the sport isn't likely to happen anytime soon, there's no doubt that your brain bouncing around inside your skull, even a little bit on each play, isn't good for your health.

Ban helmets and guys will be more careful. And yes, ez is right... the study was skewed pretty bad. Doesn't mean getting CTE isn't something to be concerned about if you decide the play football or hockey.

byronmaxwell.jpg
The Eagles have a better defensive front. The Falcons offensive line is far more suspect than Dallas, thankfully but if the Giants can't generate any pressure this week - good luck. DRC/Prince can't keep making up for the complete lack of a pass rush and Tebow help us if one of them gets injured.

Hopefully the Browns select Josh McCown to start Sunday.

JFF looked alright but I have slightly more faith in McCown despite getting himself knocked out.

Hopefully the Browns select Josh McCown to start Sunday.

JFF looked alright but I have slightly more faith in McCown despite getting himself knocked out.
I think ESPN confirm JFF is starting. Is there a stat on a Rookie QB facing back to back Heisman QB winners to start a career?

MechDX

"Now that you'll have to wait until Sunday to find out!" OB on if JJ Watt could be the 3rd TE

So when us Gronk lining up at DE?

I thought they wore those cloth helmet things. But yeah, that's why I want to get rid of helmets.

I think getting rid of helmets would make the game better as well as reduce the amount of head injuries. I think running would be a whole different story without helmets in a lot of ways.

Striker

The Eagles have a better defensive front. The Falcons offensive line is far more suspect than Dallas, thankfully but if the Giants can't generate any pressure this week - good luck. DRC/Prince can't keep making up for the complete lack of a pass rush and Tebow help us if one of them gets injured.
Odiggy and Kuhn are out.

Beason is listed doubtful.

EDIT vvv The Jones thing is bothersome now with Cruz unable to come back from his calf injury quicker than expected, and Randle's knees giving him trouble from getting any movement. But, in the end, he wanted to be playing the whole season and now filling in for a few guys... Ugh.

JWSzitl.jpg

Well fuck

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Poor Gata. Only connects with his smack talk about once every 983 times. But god bless his little window lickin' heart, he keeps putting himself out there. Keep trying lil buddy.

tmdorsey

Ok, I'm listening to the latest ATN podcast and holy shit were you guys right saying that are entertaining to listen to but dumb ass hell.

They are actually equating ODB to Julio on here.

eznark

Banned
Did James Jones ask for his release before or after the Jordy injury? Wonder if the Giants would have a tampering case?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
False. You goto overtime and the chances of winning in overtime are greater than letting Charles run 1 single draw play.
no, quit being a pussy. You give your best players a chance to make big plays.

Gonna be another Alex smith/Kaep style passing of the torch.
The major problem with JFF aside from not being able to read a defense and not really being a good QB, he looks like a high schooler playing with pro football players. Dude is tiny.

Ban helmets.
Ban helmets or put pads on the outside of it.

Odiggy and Kuhn are out.

Beason is listed doubtful.

EDIT vvv The Jones thing is bothersome now with Cruz unable to come back from his calf injury quicker than expected, and Randle's knees giving him trouble from getting any movement. But, in the end, he wanted to be playing the whole season and now filling in for a few guys... Ugh.
Kuhn being out is addition by subtraction. It gives Bromley more chances to crack the line-up.

Beason...meh. I'm sick of seeing the Giants pay a man to sit on his ass cause he can't stay healthy. Love him as an individual and he's an intelligent guy but even with his growing pains - Unga needs to keep playing.

Cruz is also out as expected. Considering we're going into a Thursday night game against Washington after Atlanta on Sunday - my prediction of week 4-5 seems doable for him.

No I don't, I say it like the study isn't a big deal. It's a bad study.

If you ask 100 people who think they have aids to get tested for aids and 95 of them come back with aids would you conclude aids the biggest issue in the world?
This is nonsense. The study isn't bad just because it doesn't unearth new world truths. It doesn't say anything about what % of active players have cte, but it does prove the successful diagnosis rate. Which is important data to have if you ever want to test people for cte without cutting their diseased brains open.

The actual problem, as always, is science journalism

eznark

Banned
This is nonsense. The study isn't bad just because it doesn't unearth new world truths. It doesn't say anything about what % of active players have cte, but it does prove the successful diagnosis rate. Which is important data to have if you ever want to test people for cte without cutting their diseased brains open.

The actual problem, as always, is science journalism

Sorry, the conclusions being drawn from the study specifically related to the act of playing football as a whole are bad.

Steveo

Banned
Well fuck

lol, look @ the Jags injury report. :(

Injury Report

Jaguars

Probable: S Josh Evans (illness), WR Rashad Greene (back), WR Marqise Lee (hamstring)

Questionable: LB Thurston Armbrister (back), OT Luke Joeckel (ankle)

Doubtful: RB Toby Gerhart (abdominal), S Johnathan Cyprien (finger/calf)

OUT: DE Andre Branch (knee), DT Sen'Derrick Marks (knee), CB Dwayne Gratz (ankle), TE Julius Thomas (hand)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom