• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 2 |OT| - A Fraud’s First Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Wake is news to me.

I think I'd rather he sit out, hamstrings can linger all season, same with Jones.

lol, look @ the Jags injury report. :(

Injury Report

Jaguars

Probable: S Josh Evans (illness), WR Rashad Greene (back), WR Marqise Lee (hamstring)

Questionable: LB Thurston Armbrister (back), OT Luke Joeckel (ankle)

Doubtful: RB Toby Gerhart (abdominal), S Johnathan Cyprien (finger/calf)

OUT: DE Andre Branch (knee), DT Sen'Derrick Marks (knee), CB Dwayne Gratz (ankle), TE Julius Thomas (hand)

Wow what happened last week? lol

Sorry, the conclusions being drawn from the study specifically related to the act of playing football as a whole are bad.
And 131 people with a rare disease with a known cause, that share the same profession that exposes them to this known cause, seems strong enough to reach that conclusion already.

But I mean... we already knew that. It may be what the ongoing story is about, but it's not what the specific study was about.

eznark

Banned
And 131 people with a rare disease with a known cause, that share the same profession that exposes them to this known cause, seems strong enough to reach that conclusion already.

But I mean... we already knew that. It may be what the ongoing story is about, but it's not what the specific study was about.

We don't know the condition is rare. We know it is rarely diagnosed, because we can't diagnose it til after death.

Ah, those are more to prevent cauliflower ear and little cuts and scrapes. Don't think they provide much protection from concussions.

Right, but there was a question about them getting caught and causing neck injuries.

jbug617

Banned
$50 Bagel Sandwich at Metlife. Meant to be share
CPNHmbLVEAEdV3l.jpg

"Jumbo Jet Breakfast Bagel" features "a triple patty or half pound of Taylor Ham, a 1-pound Spicy Chorizo patty, and a 1-pound Breakfast Sausage patty, topped with four fried eggs, four slices of American cheese, and potato hash."

We don't know the condition is rare. We know it is rarely diagnosed, because we can't diagnose it til after death.
Unless somebody played organized football, in which case we can diagnose it among the living at somewhere around a 79% success rate.

Definitive? Hell no. But data is a good thing to have.

$50 Bagel Sandwich at Metlife. Meant to be share
CPNHmbLVEAEdV3l.jpg

Ew American Cheese

I've never actually had a burger with egg on it. You guys like that?

I know thats not a burger.

Yes, something called "When Pigs Fly" at Primanti Brothers.

The “When Pigs Fly” sandwich is loaded up with turkey, ham and bacon and piled high with fries, cheese, lettuce, tomato, slaw and a fried egg.

Hmmm. Come to think of it, that's not a burger either. Sandwich was awesome though!

Right, but there was a question about them getting caught and causing neck injuries.

I had an image of helmets like the current designs with a goofy looking softer padding on the outside when talking about increased friction and neck injury.

I'm not a rugby fan but I haven't heard anything about scrum caps being dangerous.

Football needs to move in that direction eventually, be interesting to see how line play evolves. Lighter, more athletic guys with more emphasis on technique.

eznark

Banned
However they selected the players for this study.

They didn't. The players selected themselves because they thought they had head injuries.

The only thing this tells us is that former NFL players are pretty good at self-diagnosing CTE. That's why the study is flawed if you are trying to use it to make general claims.

rokkerkory

He said the Giants CBs are much more physical at the line, which is true. Fucking Carroll and Maxwell need to get up in the face of the WR, not give them a 10 yard cushion and let them run by.

They play the Browns...Lol

Damn Jak.

Them too

I must be high today

They didn't. The players selected themselves because they thought they had head injuries.

The only thing this tells us is that former NFL players are pretty good at self-diagnosing CTE. That's why the study is flawed if you are trying to use it to make general claims.
Phrased that way, that's a remarkable fact. If only all diseases were so easy to self-diagnose!

Re: general claims. None of this is proof. But it's very strong circumstantial evidence. It will be years before we have a study that proves a higher cte incidence rate among football players than in the general population.

But i'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that that's true, based on what we know. Definitive proof isn't required here.

Currently can't. BU is pouring a bunch of money into it supposedly.
I want to say... Stanford as well? Somebody on the west coast, IIRC.

eznark

Banned
Phrased that way, that's a remarkable fact. If only all diseases were so easy to self-diagnose!

Re: general claims. None of this is proof. But it's very strong circumstantial evidence. It will be years before we have a study that proves a higher cte incidence rate among football players than in the general population.

But i'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that we do, based on what we know. Definitive proof isn't required here.

If 100 NFL players thought they had a herpes and participated in a study of how likely it is to have herpes in the NFL, we'd have similar results.

The predisposition of the test subjects makes it completely useless in trying to draw larger conclusions, even as circumstantial evidence.

Let me go to a Trump rally and poll the people who they are voting for for president and write a killer article about how Trump is polling at 95%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom