• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 3 |OT| - A Fraud Finds His League

eznark

Banned
Right now, sure. Bradford is out of sync with the wideouts, and the OL has been terrible which hurts things. Lets see where Bradford is in a few weeks though.

If they aren't 4 - 2 going into Carolina I'd fire Chip on the spot. Pathetic opponents coming up the next 3 weeks.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
#Pray4Mech
this is what happens when you look at stat sheets and not watch the game. In no way shape or form is Mallet as bad as Gabbert. Gabbert often looked lost out there. Mallet does not.

the difference being Gabbert never tried to push the ball down the field. Mallet is throwing deep routes, they're not throwing 3 and 5 yard outs.

Hopkins "dropped" two 15-20 yard passes, not technically drops but he had them in his hands and the defender made a good play. Washington flat out missed another deep ball.

His YPA are low because of incompletions, not because they're throwing short routes.

He needs to get better, and I think he will. He also doesn't need to be "elite" for this team to win either. Run the ball, play good defense and let him make some plays. He gets the ball out quick, he's not standing back there waiting to get drilled. For better or worse the ball is coming out on time and going down the field.

this is what happens when you look at stat sheets and not watch the game. In no way shape or form is Mallet as bad as Gabbert. Gabbert often looked lost out there. Mallet does not.

the difference being Gabbert never tried to push the ball down the field. Mallet is throwing deep routes, they're not throwing 3 and 5 yard outs.

Hopkins "dropped" two 15-20 yard passes, not technically drops but he had them in his hands and the defender made a good play. Washington flat out missed another deep ball.

His YPA are low because of incompletions, not because they're throwing short routes.

He needs to get better, and I think he will. He also doesn't need to be "elite" for this team to win either. Run the ball, play good defense and let him make some plays. He gets the ball out quick, he's not standing back there waiting to get drilled. For better or worse the ball is coming out on time and going down the field.

On a scale of 1 to 5 Gabberts (with 1 being low and 5 being high) how much more of a gunslinger would you say he is compared to Hoyer?

gutshot

LOL at the 2nd half against the Falcons being average at best. It is funny to me how quickly you want to just give up on a guy. What gives me hope is that Chip actually made a garbage QB like Foles look decent, if he can get blood out of that stone then hopefully he can get Bradford playing well. It is 3 games and Bradford really should be 2-1. The Eagles play in the worst division in football, be happy.

In case you haven't noticed, Chip's offense has now been regressing pretty steadily and it is currently the second-worst offense in the NFL based on yards per play. Yeah, they could turn it around but I'm not holding out much hope that Bradford will be the guy who does that.

On the flip side, at least the defense is much improved. So we have that going for us.

Never forget.

gjMtkoB.png

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Are the Steelers 1 of those 2? They've only allowed 6 TDs on the season and 4 of those were to the Asterisks.

edit: Steelers are 6th in the league in points against.

They held the P*ts to their season low point output. The front seven has looked great so far, still concerned about the back four.

Never forget.

gjMtkoB.png

He was technically 2-0 at the time...

That approach to drafting got you to 3 NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl.

Not during the Mike Nolan/Singletary era. It only started coming together when our defense actually could pressure the QB and stop the pass (and get some value out of our passing game).

Thomsula does not strike me as a details guy.

Rays23.jpg

You want details...He got your details.

gutshot

Brandon Lee Gowton @BrandonGowton
Sam Bradford when not facing any pressure from the Jets: 12/21 (57.1%), 74 yards (3.5 y/a), 0 TD, 0 INT, 64.4 passer rating. Bad.

#JoyToWatch

Not during the Mike Nolan/Singletary era. It only started coming together when our defense actually could pressure the QB and stop the pass (and get some value out of our passing game).

You mean when you got a coach worth a damn? It's still the same players that were drafted to stop the run and run the ball as you complained about.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
On a scale of 1 to 5 Gabberts (with 1 being low and 5 being high) how much more of a gunslinger would you say he is compared to Hoyer?

there's no comparison to Hoyer. Against the Chefs, Hoyer looked lost too. He stood there and held the ball for forever, taking four sacks. Mallet's been sacked 3 times since coming in the 4th quarter of that game. With arguably a worse offensive line, or at minimum an Oline with a lot more injuries. Hoyer's sacs included a sack fumble inside the 5. He also had an actual ugly pick against the Chefs. He had like one good looking drive all game. They ran for 4.7 a carry against them too, so its not like they had a non existent running game either.

Another fun stat, the Texans defense have allowed 32 points when the other teams offense isn't given a short field off turnovers. They've allowed 28 off of turnovers.

Obviously you'd like to see the defense hold them once in a while on a short field.

They held the P*ts to their season low point output. The front seven has looked great so far, still concerned about the back four.

Same but i've also thought the recent insistence that you need all pros back there was overblown. Granted shy of Brady the Steelers haven't faced a QB worth a damn but even in that game I thought they held up well (aside from the communication issues of course).

zychi

Banned
That Bears Seahawks game was atrocious to watch, and I have no f'ing clue what the league is doing with replay. That ball clearly bounced off the seahawks players ankle. Horrible call./QUOTE]

That was pretty impressively bad
My favorite part about that, was that the head of reviewing officials was at that game. Essentially the refs fucked up during their yearly review and nothing will come of it.

But thats the idiotic ran nfl for ya!

Line_HTX

Wow. Two Matt Schaubs in one day.

edit: also NFL.com hurt my feelers

1. The win aside, Houston remains a black hole on offense and it starts with Ryan Mallett. The Texans starter made a rash of throws, but he's inexcusably sloppy. Mallett was lucky that his first-quarter fumble -- recovered by the Bucs -- was wiped out by a flag. He quickly gave the ball back to Tampa, though, with an ugly second quarter pick, highlighting a first half that saw the Texans come away with zero points on drives that started at the Tampa 38, 34 and 25. Mallett's 5.8 yards per attempt lands him squarely in the Gabbert Zone -- exactly what we've come to expect from this up-and-down passer.

Ehh, I'm not exactly high on Mallet, but I do give him credit for throwing the ball out so fast after the snap. Most of the time he has poise in the pocket, so he's without question obviously greater than Blaine Gabbert. My feelings are hurt because of some of the O-Line and Nate Washington. God, he makes me sick.

They need to punish the Special Teams and force them to sprint up and down the field until they pass out. It's beyond shameful that they continue to be shit in both coverage and returns.

Whoever wrote that statement is wrong and needs to watch more. Gabbert a worse Shit.

gutshot

It will be interesting to see what Chip does in the offseason at the QB position. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on either RGIII or Kaep. It is possible both might end up being available.

Any talented spread QBs that might come out in the draft?

Pepiope

Huh? His completion percentage and yardage totals have all gone down each week. If it was just a case of him shaking off the rust and/or getting familiar within the system, he should be improving each week, instead he is regressing.
Huh? Did you not see the two potential TDs that were dropped? That's like 150 yards right there. Then the Aggy drop drop as well. You have to not be paying attention to the games if you don't notice obvious miscommunication errors going on. He only three 28 passes. When receivers drop 3-5 of them, it will make your completion percentage go down no doubt. As I've already said, he has had his issues as well, and if those issues are still persistent around week 8 then I'll be concerned. Right now I'm not.

Edit: my 6s can finally handle the GIFs on this site. Woo!

eznark

Banned
Huh? Did you not see the two potential TDs that were dropped? That's like 150 yards right there. Then the Aggy drop drop as well. You have to not be paying attention to the games if you don't notice obvious miscommunication errors going on. He only three 28 passes. When receivers drop 3-5 of them, it will make your completion percentage go down no doubt. As I've already said, he has had his issues as well, and if those issues are still persistent around week 8 then I'll be concerned. Right now I'm not.

None of that impacts YPA. He's Jason Campbell without the tiny bit of elusiveness.

gutshot

Seriously, have you watched Squidward play? He's /awful/.

Well, yeah. If he looked good, they wouldn't have a chance to get him. You don't find quality QBs available for trade or in free agency. You have to take a chance on a guy as a reclamation project.

Kinda what they did with Bradford only Kaep's skill set actually fits the system that Chip should be running.

It's amazing how in the last 24 hours, I've seen a litany of excuses made for Bridgewater, Stafford, and Bradford (Tannehill also?). Pretty much the same general reasons given for all three as well (offensive line, receivers, GM, coaching, new system, etc. etc.)

I'm not making excuses for Bridgewater. He's had two bad games and one solid game where he basically just managed the offense against the poop lions.

I do think he's better than this, we saw it at the end oflast year. There is no reason for it though.

Top Bottom