• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 7 |OT| - A Fraud Swings His Gate

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Schefter

Lions fired OC Joe Lombardi, OL coach Jeremiah Washburn, asst OL coach Terry Heffernan, as @caplannfl and @jkatzenstein reported.

Jim Bob Cooter taking over OC duties.

200.gif

gutshot

I've never seen fans go to bat so hard for a player that has done so little to deserve their loyalty. It's not like he's some long-time veteran or feel good story that worked his way up that's easy to root for, he's a fucking rental piece that's been with the team for six months.

Yeah, it makes no sense. Foles got shat on in here constantly despite playing miles better in just about every metric and statistical category.

He's kind of the linchpin in "Chip's Grand Vision of Revolutionary Excellence."

He's really not though. Chip correctly determined that Foles wasn't the guy and took a calculated risk that Bradford was a potential franchise QB who'd been slowed by injuries and being in a bad situation with STL. Obviously, that is not the case. I don't think that particular move makes Chip a bad GM (although I do think they gave up too much for him) and I don't think cutting bait when your calculated risk doesn't pan out means your whole plan is ruined.

cdyhybrid

Ridley tore his ACL in his contract year, and Vereen got a nice FA contract.
I'm talking about a DeMarco Murray-sized contract.
Are we still sure the plan wasn't to collect enough assets to trade up for Mariota, and when that fell through, he just tried to save face by pretending Bradford was the plan all along?

It probably was, but they still have up a lot for him.

slabrock

Banned
surprised the lions didn't wait until the bye week but I'm happy to see Lombardi gone. Hopefully the OL improves with a new coach at the helm.

why? Ridley and Vereen seemed to do alright in our system.

Because those are all pass first offenses with coaches who don't stick with one running back long. If you were a smaller, pass catching running back then its probably okay, but if you want to be a feature back those aren't places where that's going to happen.

cdyhybrid

the patriots haven't had a DeMarco Murray quality RB since Dillon
There might be a reason for that!
How many running backs really get that kind of contract any more though?
A few will. Todd Gurley will if everything continues to go well for him.

It's not common, but it does still happen. The thing is most guys think they can be that type of back if they get the opportunity, so they want to go somewhere they can be featured.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I was going to post this article last week about Joe Lombardi moving to the booth as opposed to calling plays from the sidelines.

Matthew Stafford's response was interesting if you read between the lines. He has (like his BFF Megatron) never put his teammates or coaching staff under the bus but the "perspective" line was interesting.

Joe Lombardi moves to press box to call game, Lions offense finally explodes

"Just a Tennessee country twang coming into the ear," Stafford said with a laugh, referring to quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter relaying the calls to him through the headset.

"Other than that, not a whole bunch more. Obviously very similar stuff, just a little different perspective for him, maybe. But I thought we played well on offense, and I'm not sure (the box) had anything to do with the game. I think we went out and we executed better. And that helps us win."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/10/oc_joe_lombardi_moves_to_press.html

Bread

Banned
Because those are all pass first offenses with coaches who don't stick with one running back long. If you were a smaller, pass catching running back then its probably okay, but if you want to be a feature back those aren't places where that's going to happen.

There might be a reason for that!
If the Pats had a guy like Murray, he would have been the feature back. Just like Ridley was before he got hurt. Not like the Pats don't try to draft RBs, they just got burned on Maroney so they try to wait until later rounds to find guys.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lions should fire their head coach

Only a matter of time.

Interesting that Cooter already said the new offense will be different schematically.

Hopefully that involves a "scoring points in the second half" scheme.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
No doubt in my mind this move came from Golden Tate, Megatron and Stafford being more vocal with the ownership, management behind the scenes.

I'm still pissed and don't understand the point of benching of Stafford against the Cardinals. Such a stupid and ridiculous move by Caldwell. What did it prove or do?

Since the benching he brushed all the media nonsense, criticism and thrown for 45/68, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 67% Completion. Jay Cutler he is not.

All while getting sacked 10 times or so and hurried on almost every play.

It was a middle finger to his critics. You can sack me 7 times in a game, break my finger but "I'll still ball the fuck out statistically and try to lead my team to victory like Iike I always have. But I can only do so much."

Any Lions fans who think Stafford is the problem are out of their mind.

I was going to post this article last week about Joe Lombardi moving to the booth as opposed to calling plays from the sidelines.

Matthew Stafford's response was interesting if you read between the lines. He has (like his BFF Megatron) would never put his teammates or coaching staff under the bus but the "perspective" line was interesting.

Joe Lombardi moves to press box to call game, Lions offense finally explodes

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/10/oc_joe_lombardi_moves_to_press.html

Stafford was yelling at the o-line yesterday. I can't even blame him, dude was getting annihilated. Say what you will about Stafford, he's tough as fuck.

It's the scheme. Larry Warford didn't magically go from a Pro Bowl caliber guard to trash in two years.

So we drafted Eric Ebron in large part due to Lombardi wanting him because he thought he'd be Jimmy Graham. Now Lombardi is gone but we're stuck with Ebron lol. Granted Ebron is having a good year but come on. Aaron Donald was right fucking there.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
ALLEN PARK -- Jim Caldwell said he wouldn't shake up his staff.

Four hours later, the Detroit Lions head coach shook up his staff. The only question is whether it was voluntary or forced upon him from the front office or ownership.

The moves are an about-face for Caldwell, who insisted at his 12:30 p.m. presser that he would not fire anyone on his staff, in particular Lombardi.

Wow, Caldwell, wow.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/10/detroit_lions_fire_oc_joe_lomb.html#incart_2box_

Sean+Payton+Wild+Card+Playoffs+Detroit+Lions+keArIBYLoWIl.jpg

Come home Sean. Lead another #9 QB and a broken franchise to the promised land.

Plinko

Wow, Caldwell, wow.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/10/detroit_lions_fire_oc_joe_lomb.html#incart_2box_

Sean+Payton+Wild+Card+Playoffs+Detroit+Lions+keArIBYLoWIl.jpg

Come home Sean. Lead another #9 QB and a broken franchise to the promised land.

In the presser this afternoon, Caldwell took credit and said it was his decision--4 hours after he said he wasn't making changes.

It is clear the move came from Mayhew. I don't buy that Martha was involved. She doesn't even know they have a football team. She thinks it is literally a collection of lions.

Doorman

No doubt in my mind this move came from Golden Tate, Megatron and Stafford being more vocal with the ownership, management behind the scenes.

I'm still pissed and don't understand the point of benching of Stafford against the Cardinals. Such a stupid and ridiculous move by Caldwell. What did it prove or do?

Since the benching he brushed all the media nonsense, criticism and thrown for 45/68, 6 TDs, 1 INT, 67% Completion. Jay Cutler he is not.

All while getting sacked 10 times or so and hurried on almost every play.

It was a middle finger to his critics. You can sack me 7 times in a game, break my finger but "I'll still ball the fuck out statistically and try to lead my team to victory like Iike I always have. But I can only do so much."

Any Lions fans who think Stafford is the problem are out of their mind.

So...you question what the purpose of benching him was, and then proceed to point out what the effect of benching him might have been? Uhh.

As we learned this past week, though, the great game against the Bears is looking really likely to have come because we played the Bears, and not because of any special "fire" lit under Stafford. He's better when he has time, sure, but just how much better, I still question.

I wonder if one week is really enough time for JBC to start and implement a new blocking scheme for the offensive line in time for the Chefs game, or if the bigger changes will be made through the bye week. Our current offensive line consists of two first round picks, two third round picks, and one UDFA all taken within the last three years or so. It's a young line, and one that should theoretically have talent that can develop together and do well, but I think whatever Lombardi was trying to run obviously wasn't getting through to them. The Saints offense this is not.

Of course, it's also possible that the o-linemen we've drafted really are just bad...but I have to hold out hope that it was coaching more than talent, because if that's the case, we're just going to wind up being set back even a few years further from being truly competitive.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Stafford was yelling at the o-line yesterday. I can't even blame him, dude was getting annihilated. Say what you will about Stafford, he's tough as fuck.

It's the scheme. Larry Warford didn't magically go from a Pro Bowl caliber guard to trash in two years.

So we drafted Eric Ebron in large part due to Lombardi wanting him because he thought he'd be Jimmy Graham. Now Lombardi is gone but we're stuck with Ebron lol. Granted Ebron is having a good year but come on. Aaron Donald was right fucking there.

There was an MLive article before the season started (to lazy to look it up) about Eric Ebron and his relationship with Stafford.

I'm paraphrasing what Ebron said "You guys see a calm Stafford after the game when the press are asking him questions but he gets heated and is a leader on the sidelines. He got in my face all season about not knowing plays, routes etc. but he's still a leader."

The Eric Ebron over Donald pick is done and over with but I still think we have a very solid player with Ebron.

But you're right about Larry Warford. Guy is a goddamned Pro Bowler from his rookie season and suddenly the line breaks down. We were a Top 5 offensive line unit for at least two years (IIRC) with Linehan before Lombardi got here. All of the sudden the line goes trash. We have talent.

My biggest question mark between lack of success due to talent or scheme is C Travis Swanson. I'm not worried about Laken Tomlinson, I think he'll be a nice starter opposite of Warford but I've been seeing some of his PFF ratings and I'm just not sure.

Say what you want about Dominic Raoila but he anchored our line for a long time and was a fierce leader.

cdyhybrid

Sounds like the benching worked.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
If the Pats had a guy like Murray, he would have been the feature back. Just like Ridley was before he got hurt. Not like the Pats don't try to draft RBs, they just got burned on Maroney so they try to wait until later rounds to find guys.

Murray would not have lasted a full season as Belicheck's feature back with his fumble rate.

Top Bottom