• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 7 |OT| - A Fraud Swings His Gate

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sounds like the benching worked.

So...you question what the purpose of benching him was, and then proceed to point out what the effect of benching him might have been? Uhh.

Stafford is 27 years old and has been in the league for 6 years now. He took over the worst team in NFL history at 21 years old.

It's not like he's Andy Dalton and needed a benching at one point. In 2011 he threw for 5,000 yards and 41 TDs. He's lead the Lions to unbelievable comebacks throughout his young career and has broken virtually every Lions QB there is.

He's about to break another next week in London for most consecutive starts for a Lions QB.

He's done everything he can as a QB for the Lions, is unbelievably gifted physically and is only 27 years old.

Stafford has seen it all. Heartbreaking playoff losses, 5,000 yard 40 TD seasons, record breaking comeback victories.

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Stafford is the problem. And as I said before, the difference between Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford is Stafford keeps his emotions in check and does not let it affect his play on the field whereas Jay Cutler does this:

Jay-Cutler-Yells-and-Pushes-JMarcus-Webb.gif

You would never see Stafford do that on the field of behind the scenes. They're both immensely gifted physically as QBs but Stafford is a leader on and off the field.0

So my question to Lions fans who say drop 27 year old, franchise QB, Matthew Stafford, what's your solution?

Any prospects or free agent acquisitions you think are better than 27 year old Matthew Stafford?

You pile on Stafford all the goddamned time but offer no solution.

In the presser this afternoon, Caldwell took credit and said it was his decision--4 hours after he said he wasn't making changes.

It is clear the move came from Mayhew. I don't buy that Martha was involved. She doesn't even know they have a football team. She thinks it is literally a collection of lions.

Nah, I get the impression Martha Ford is not some senile woman. This is the second or third time we've heard she's throwing her weight around. I can't link now but someone at NFL.com is saying there are rumors around the league that major changes are coming at the end of the year. I'm trying not to get my hopes but BUT everything is pointing to Mayhew and possibly Caldwell being fired after this season.

It's so obvious Caldwell was forced to make this change. He's had a George W Bush-esque "stay the course" mantra since day one, and if he had his way he'd sink with the ship without making any changes. This team has looked terrible, the scheme has not worked, yet every week he says the exact same thing: it's about execution. No Jim, you don't have the personnel to run your scheme. We don't even have a healthy blocking TE right now yet are running zone block schemes.

Caldwell was brought in to "fix" Stafford. It didn't work. I like Caldwell as a man, he seems like a good guy. But he is clearly not a good coach.

Stafford is 27 years old and has been in the league for 6 years now. He took over the worst team in NFL history at 21 years old.

It's not like he's Andy Dalton and needed a benching at one point. In 2011 he threw for 5,000 yards and 41 TDs. He's lead the Lions to unbelievable comebacks throughout his young career and has broken virtually every Lions QB there is.

He's about to break another next week in London for most consecutive starts for a Lions QB.

He's done everything he can as a QB for the Lions, is unbelievably gifted physically and is only 27 years old.

Stafford has seen it all. Heartbreaking playoff losses, 5,000 yard 40 TD seasons, record breaking comeback victories.

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Stafford is the problem. And as I said before, the difference between Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford is Stafford keeps his emotions in check and does not let it affect his play on the field whereas Jay Cutler does this:

Jay-Cutler-Yells-and-Pushes-JMarcus-Webb.gif

You would never see Stafford do that on the field of behind the scenes. They're both immensely gifted physically as QBs but Stafford is a leader on and off the field.0

So my question to Lions fans who say drop 27 year old, franchise QB, Matthew Stafford, what's your solution?

Any prospects or free agent acquisitions you think are better than 27 year old Matthew Stafford?

If I was Lions GM?

I'd keep Caldwell for one more year, so he could coach a shitty team before I brought my guy in. My focus in the draft would be shoring up the o-line with a RT and possibly drafting another center since Travis Swanson doesn't seem great. Move back to power blocking scheme which should hide other issues. I'd draft a QB in the third or fourth round. Not to be "the future" but if I hit a homerun with the pick, awesome.

I'd also begin rebuilding the d-line. Ansah is the only guy on that line who defenses have to truly gameplan for. After this season I'd get rid of Tulluch, Digs, Ngata, and Mathis.

I'd look to trade Stafford in 2016; various Detroit radio folks are saying they're told the highest the Lions could get is a third round pick for him. So be it. If a trade doesn't work I'd simply ride out his contract and then not re-sign him in 2017. I'd draft my QB of the future in 2016 and have him sit behind Stafford for a year. And then by 2017 the team will have an improved o-line, d-line, and it'll be time to start rebuilding the "weapons." If Mayhew proved anything it's that surrounding your QB with weapons instead of shoring up the trenches is a bad idea.

Doorman

You are absolutely out of your mind if you think Stafford is the problem.

This is Stafford's seventh year in the league, regardless of the age he started in the NFL at. Seven years is enough time, I think, to judge a quarterback's capabilities. If you want to throw out his first two injury-heavy seasons, then fine, in that case this would be his fifth year after "really" starting at age 23. In all of that time, for all of his breaking the passing records of countless other substandard Lions quarterbacks, Stafford has made it into the playoffs for 2 out of his 7 years (yes I'm counting this year already, there's no chance of them making the playoffs and you've admitted that yourself, Kas), and hasn't won a single playoff game. No division-winning seasons. No road wins against better-than-.500 teams, as annoying as that stat is. I should hope he's broken a bunch of Lion QB records, since he's been forced into an extremely pass-heavy role during a pass-heavy era of the NFL, but as far as actual league success goes, he has accomplished absolutely nothing.

Contrast that with, say, Mark Sanchez, who I consider to be a less-talented QB than Stafford but led the Jets to back-to-back conference championship games using arguably less offensive talent than Stafford. Yes, Sanchez managed to lean on the Jets' stellar defense for a lot of that success. Stafford had, statistically, a historically good defense in last year's 11-5 season, but even then it took some ridiculous comebacks and total strategic failures by opposing teams (Falcons, to start), and the season still resulted in a wild card berth and a first round loss. Stafford's been given more and done less with it.

Now, all of that being said, I don't actually think that Stafford is a terrible quarterback, or at least I don't think he was a terrible decision to draft at the time. However, for all of his supposed arm talent, his development seems to have plateaued and I don't think that the team has ever been constructed to succeed with the sort of QB that Stafford is. He's not a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers type. His strength is not in play diagnosis and accurate delivery...but that's the sort of style that the rest of the team has been built to support. It was the sort of offense that Lombardi seemed to be trying to run, with all the quick short passes and "take what the defense gives us" approach. And seven years in, I don't think that Stafford will really have the time for the team to be properly reconstructed around him, so to me it's better to move on and try a different direction. It would probably be better for his sake, too.

So no, I don't think that Stafford is technically the team's biggest problem, but he's also not going to be the solution and I don't see this team ever seeing sustained success with him at the helm.

This is the sad truth...there is no solution. We may well end up with the #1 overall pick this year, but looking over this year's draft class, there is no real exciting QB prospect that could potentially come in and replace him at a young age. Quarterback play in the NFL right now as far as backups and free agents is at a real low point already, so I don't see any relief there either. Stafford is the best we have at our disposal right now...but it doesn't instantly mean he's good, or is the right guy to lead us. Our best bet is probably to draft a QB for a new coaching staff to develop beneath Stafford, let Stafford ride through 2016 until his contract becomes more salary cap-friendly to dump, and then hope that our new QB feels more ready to step in to start in his Sophomore season come 2017. That's the best I can offer right now to try and get the Lions back into legitimate shape.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Seidel: Stafford’s ‘Hail Mary’ for charity right on target - Donates $1 Million

Pamela Stokes sat on her front porch this afternoon, looking across the street as a group of workers set up a stage before the grand opening of the Stafford Football Field on Detroit’s east side.

“This is a great idea,” she said of the field sponsored by Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford. “The kids need something to do.”

But her son was cynical. He couldn’t understand it.

“This is one of the worst areas in Detroit,” said Charles Wilson, 28. “I’m gonna be real. I don’t understand why there is a $1-million field and renovation and look right here.”

He took one look at this amazing, beautiful, NFL-quality artificial turf field and turned his head and stared at an abandoned, boarded-up house. The juxtaposition was jarring.

“Listen, it’s great that Matthew Stafford gave $1 million,” he said. “I just don’t understand why they built it on Seven Mile and Van Dyke. People get killed around here every day. This is not the best neighborhood.”

A few years ago, Stokes was having a family barbecue, and there was a shooting at the playground next to the field.

“Where should they build it?” she asked. “In the suburbs?”

“This is going to be tore up,” Wilson said, “before this neighborhood gets fixed.”

That comment symbolizes everything that is wrong. The despair. The low level of expectations. And the assumption that anything nice soon will turn to ruin.

And that’s exactly what this center will try to fight.

“You can’t give up on this area,” Stokes argued.

More specifically, you can’t give up on the kids in this neighborhood.

“It’s a great thing, but it’s just weird,” Wilson said. “Matt Stafford is about to be on Seven Mile and Van Dyke. Don’t act like it’s not weird.”

Stafford pledged a $1 million donation spread over 10 years to help build the field and renovate a recreation center. What’s more impressive, he promised to be involved at the center, coming back every other week during the season to try to inspire kids.

“This is just the beginning,” Stafford said. “This isn’t a one-and-done thing. It’s going to be around a long time. We are going to put a lot of time and energy into it.”

635809726585736885-stafford-012015-kd-2.jpg

The S.A.Y. Detroit Play Center at Lipke Park is the brainchild of Free Press columnist Mitch Albom, who worked with Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and Stafford to make it happen. Albom toured 24 rec centers around the city, trying to find a location, but most were dilapidated beyond repair. Lipke wasn’t in great shape — somebody had stolen a two-ton heating and air-conditioning unit off the roof — but the building had promise; and there was enough land to build a football field. The baseball and soccer fields will come later. Several companies poured more than $1 million into the renovation, donating everything from the flooring to the exercise equipment to the Haworth furniture; and now, Lipke is a beautiful, sparkling facility that smells like fresh paint.

“That’s how you stabilize a neighborhood,” said Albom, who founded S.A.Y. Detroit nearly 10 years ago to help the city’s neediest citizens. “That’s how you get a neighborhood to believe that there is a reason to keep your neighborhood nice, because there is something nice worth protecting.”

Lipke is a recreation and education center with a basketball court, exercise room, tutoring center and a fully equipped music recording studio provided by national nonprofit Notes for Notes.

The center is for kids 9 to 18. Sports might be the draw, but education is the real focus.

“Education has to be first,” Stafford said. “We are not going to let kids slip through the cracks. We aren’t going to let kids come out and just play sports. It starts in the classroom.”

Kids will be allowed to participate in sports at the facility only if they have a 3.0 grade-point average and don’t miss more than three school days during a semester. If not, they have to show improvement.

“If you set the bar of expectations low, you will get low results,” Albom said. “If you set ’em high, you’ll get high results.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...roit-lions-matthew-stafford-charity/74304996/

More in the article

58ntyz.gif

Godslay

Banned

Great movie. Still great to this day.

7th in yards
2nd in TDs

All of this considering that Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns rarely get open unless Bortles is running out of the pocket. Until this past week, Bortles was the Jaguars offense.

I'd imagine with Thomas and Yeldon back this offense will open up even more. Allen Bros have seemingly played well. Jags are slowly but surely getting better and I like how Khan is giving some breathing room to staff.

Thomas Davis is so awesome at his job that NFL Coach calls Sean McDermott to compliment the Panthers tackling fundamentals

But it was another Davis play that had a fellow NFL coach call Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott on Monday to praise his defense’s fundamentals.

Davis’ stop of Eagles running back Darren Sproles for a loss of 1 yard on a second-quarter third-down play was one of the better defensive plays in Sunday night’s victory over Philadelphia.

“I had a coach call me this morning and say I’m showing my guys that play,” said McDermott on Monday afternoon, though he would not reveal who the coach was or which pro team he’s affiliated with. “That is awesome fundamentals. It’s a lost art. To make that tackle in space, with nobody else around, and a back of Sproles’ quality, I think is phenomenal fundamentals and it’s a leader leading by example.

For this open-field tackle on Sproles

494271392-carolina-panthers-thomas-davis-sr-wraps-up-gettyimages.jpg

Put money on it being Dan Campbell. That feels like some shit he would do

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really like Connor Cook but I wouldn't take him in the first round if I was the Lions. The sexy pick is always the QB or star WR, offense wise. But at this point I think we need to rebuild the line. Aim for the best o-lineman available, like Ronnie Stanley for instance.

Heavy o-line and d-line focus in draft, plus a blocking TE. Aim for some LB and CB depth as well since Tulluch and Mathis will be gone.

Top Bottom