• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

effzee

Rams COO on them being quiet in free agency:

Why so quiet in free agency this year?
I will say, we’ve been really crappy in free agency. I’ve written a lot of bad deals. We just haven’t found a lot of success in free agency. And so I think there’s a buyer beware in all of that, in terms of going out and buying other people’s players, that we just haven’t figured out.
[/I]

Admitting mistakes? I can get used to this!

Rueben Randle visiting the Rams.

What an amazing post to follow the Rams COO comments.

Weddle money:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3m3 minutes ago
Ravens land safety Eric Weddle. Deal is worth $29M for 4years with $13M guaranteed. Weddle will make $9 million this year

Weddle and Will Hill is a nice safety tandem.

Godslay

Banned
Of course they are not required to throw money around I just meant if they liked a guy why squabble of a few million dollars and potentially piss off the guy. I guess if they dont really like him it makes more sense.

I get what Kave is saying, in that Browns don't have to blow money just because. I can agree with that. They are also above the cap spending minimum, so realistically as long as they have a team to field, they don't have to spend any money at all.

Browns have a unique position where if they don't trade and sign Kap, they'll just draft a QB. So really forcing Kaep down is a position they can take because they can just walk away and draft the guy. They don't have to be held ransom by him, because they have very good options at their disposal. What they do with them is a different topic of course.

Broncos on the other hand are in a bit more precarious spot. Our QB depth is Sanchez and Siemian, with a dead last placement in each round of the draft this year. Tight cap this year as well. We have a ton of draft picks to wheel and deal with, but 3 of the 10 can't be traded.

Ideally, I'd like Kaep for a 3rd. Keep Sanchez on board for insurance, and draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round to develop. There should be 4 QBs going into camp, and then trim down.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If Weddle wanted the biggest payday, he should've pushed Oakland. Guess the Ravens were that desperate, though. Let's see if he can cover his old teammate, Ladarious Green.

Outside of Wake who else was injured that could have made a difference?

I thought the IR for this year was worse than it actually was, but looking at it, it actually wasn't that bad. Players were definitely playing injured like Pouncey and Jelani Jenkins, but no one was really out for extended periods like Wake.

Colasante

$13 million guaranteed for Weddle? No way were the Patriots going anywhere near there for what would have been their 2nd or 3rd safety.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
YF5zS4U.jpg
3lgmKrV.jpg

Knowing our luck we'll end up with the #4 pick.

Because we also know the Oilers will win the draft once more.

Weddle and Will Hill is a nice safety tandem.

I like it. I don't know what we're going to do with Lardarius Webb now, though. He's done as a corner, and was looking to play safety this year. He's got a big contract, so I don't know what kind of cap hit to expect if they were to cut him.

I like the Weddle signing. Secondary needed help, gives us a little more flexibility at draft time too.

Fitts

Gonna be interesting to see what Oak does for a safety now. Can't say I'm not disappointed because we need a sense of leadership in our secondary.

Colasante

Per @sdutKevinAcee, the teams the #Ravens beat out for Eric Weddle were #Cowboys, #Raiders & #Steelers.

As I suspected. The Patriots were never actively in on Weddle. Never made sense to me, but I'm guessing the leverage worked and helped seal the deal with the Ravens.

As I suspected. The Patriots were never actively in on Weddle. Never made sense to me, but I'm guessing the leverage worked and helped seal the deal with the Ravens.

Steelers apparently bowed out over the weekend. Never made an offer and moved on to trying to sign a tackle (which they are going hard at Okung right now).

jbug617

Banned
Raji was one of the biggest reason why they won the Super Bowl that year. Seems like he could never stay healthy after that season

MechDX

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 17s18 seconds ago
Sources confirm Steelers WR Martavis Bryant accepts one-year suspension, violated NFL substance-abuse policy, will begin serving immediately

Hasn't been the same player for years.

I'm more worried because TT might look to draft defensive line again, which he's horrible at doing most of the time.
Go get Adolphus Washington in the Draft.. He should be available where packers pick. It's an option.

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 17s18 seconds ago
Sources confirm Steelers WR Martavis Bryant accepts one-year suspension, violated NFL substance-abuse policy, will begin serving immediately
Damn.

Respect

Throwback jersey night!

josh-freeman-and-greg-schiano.jpg

lol how? Player wise we're pretty much the same team minus a running back (for now) and we let Jason Fox go which is a positive, We'd probably tie 9-9 or something if the current team played the 2015 team.

Well...he really shouldn't come out and say "This is the most average offseason we could have hoped for." Whether he believes what he is saying or not.

Raji was one of the biggest reason why they won the Super Bowl that year. Seems like he could never stay healthy after that season

55725587.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Well...

He made a key pick 6 against the Bears but we were playing Caleb Hanie since Cutler quit.

His whole career was kinda based on that one play. Outside that he was in many ways a disappointed since he was drafted 9th overall. Terrible, terrible draft class for DTs though.

Godslay

Banned

So he's essentially in the same boat as Big Ben?

Sanchez was never charged, and the case was dropped a couple of months later after investigators determined there was a lack of evidence. (Medical examinations of Sanchez and the alleged victim were inconclusive on "the issue of force," as the Associated Press put it. Prosecutors said it was "essentially a 'one-on-one' allegation.") Sanchez went on to earn the starting job in his junior season and was picked fifth overall by the Jets in the 2009 NFL Draft.

BJ Raji retiring.

Greg you ok? Greg??
Good for him.

Well...

He made a key pick 6 against the Bears but we were playing Caleb Hanie since Cutler quit.

His whole career was kinda based on that one play. Outside that he was in many ways a disappointed since he was drafted 9th overall. Terrible, terrible draft class for DTs though.
He played some great games in that run. Been spotty at best since, though.

Thought he was better last year than in the previous couple .

Tom Nook

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 10m10 minutes ago

*smh*

So he's not playing at all in the 2016 season. He's a good second WR next to AB.

Weddle leaving the Chargers for the Ravens and saying he has a better shot at an Owl here. smh, dude must have completely not watched us last year at all

That isn't Tony Romo

Well nobody is perfect.

Well...he really shouldn't come out and say "This is the most average offseason we could have hoped for." Whether he believes what he is saying or not.

He could have just kept his mouth shut, it's not even that I think he's wrong, for all we know the 2016 team will be much better, but I don't get why the FO of this franchise has to keep coming out saying stupid shit, the owner said that Gase can be the next Belichick...or Tannehill the next Marino...or Philbin the next Shula....I mean why would you say that?

bionic77

I would like to point out that the Patriots brought marijuana to our team.

It sucks we are never going to see our offense at full force.

:(

Eleuin

Hasn't been the same player for years.

I'm more worried because TT might look to draft defensive line again, which he's horrible at doing most of the time.
Yeah his record in the 1st three rounds sucks

I was more worried that Ted was going to resign him then proceed to not even acknowledge the position during the draft, better to miss and try than ignore the lack of depth

Top Bottom