• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

How does the option work?
After the initial one year payout, Jacksonville can choose to keep him on the roster for the next league year. If he's on the roster by a certain date, it will trigger the 4 year option and any additional per year monies (and guaranteed money if any) built into that portion of the contract.

At least that's how I'm guessing its structured based on previous contracts of that sort. The other option is that Jacksonville just cuts him before the option kicks in. No harm, no foul from their perspective. They already paid him what they wanted to anyways.

You can stay with the Dolphins, misery is misery after all.

qYqR6I4.png

Being the thug kitty Kave wished he could be.

Broncos played the same option game with Okung's contract:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 24s24 seconds ago
The Russell Okung deal is actually structured as a one-year, $5m deal with a team option for the final four years at $12m per year.

So low risk for the Broncos when its all said and done. If he doesn't pan out, they drop him.

MechDX

NFL Mocks Crew ‏@NFLMocks 5h5 hours ago
Jets, Bills, Bucs, Colts, Giants, Broncos, Bears, Cowboys were all keeping a VERY close eye on Hackenberg. Especially Jets, Giants, Bills

NFL Mocks Crew ‏@NFLMocks 5h5 hours ago
Haven't seen one Texans person at Hackenbergs pro day so far

NFL Mocks Crew ‎@NFLMocks
Bill O'Brien is NOT at the Penn State Pro Day
10:09 AM - 17 Mar 2016

hhmmm...

After the initial one year payout, Jacksonville can choose to keep him on the roster for the next league year. If he's on the roster by a certain date, it will trigger the 4 year option and any additional per year monies (and guaranteed money if any) built into that portion of the contract.

At least that's how I'm guessing its structured based on previous contracts of that sort. The other option is that Jacksonville just cuts him before the option kicks in. No harm, no foul from their perspective. They already paid him what they wanted to anyways.

So basically it's a one year deal then, because if Beachum outplays the year he'll opt out and become a FA again.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Haha. So for all the flak he took representing himself he got exactly what he wanted.

It has to be some sort of incentive laden contract. I think Okung is a hell of a tackle but he can't seem to stay healthy for a whole season. Still would take 13 games a year with him than Riley Reiff at LT.

Fuck, this means the Lions are probably drafting Jake Conklin or another Tackle with the 16th pick. Really wanted Sheldon Rankins, Reggie Ragland or an impact defensive player with the 16th pick.

Top Bottom