• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Fox318

oqvY7dP.jpg

Pepiope

Madness. Sanchez lucked out going to Denver

Argued with a few people on this, but there's no way he offered it. TEN would have jumped at it in 2 seconds and it would have crippled the Eagles
Chip Kelly also said he didn't want more power in the FO and Lurie had dedcided to just give him more control.

Never believe his PCs.

gutshot

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Touchbacks in NFL now will be brought out to 25-yard line.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
NFL owners approved ejections for two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

Thought the yellow card rule was getting tabled?

gutshot

More Hard Knocks details:

"It’s clear both in Southern California and nationwide there’s significant interest in the return of the Rams to Los Angeles, and it seemed like a very good year to give people a look at our franchise and our players,” said Kevin Demoff, Rams chief operating officer.

"We have one of the youngest teams, a lot of talented players -- back-to-back rookies of the year -- that we want people to start to get exposure to. What better way to do that than 'Hard Knocks'?"

The hourlong "Hard Knocks" kicks off its 11th season on Tuesday, Aug. 9 at 10 p.m. The show airs each subsequent Tuesday, culminating with the Sept. 6 finale.

The drama and characters of training camp will be a major focus of this summer’s show, as always, but so will the team’s relocation. In fact, some of that footage is already being shot.

"This was the perfect team at the perfect time," said Ken Rodgers, an NFL Films coordinating producer and also the show’s supervising producer. "It’s such a historic moment in NFL history, and one that NFL Films hasn’t really documented in the past.

"Previous teams that have moved, it wasn’t something that we had covered fully like we’re going to cover the Rams. What we try to do on the show is find a team that’s going on a mission, that’s going somewhere. Having a team that’s not only trying to get somewhere but is also physically moving just adds to the drama of training camp."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-hbo-hard-knocks-20160323-story.html

Fantomex

The Rams can wear throwback uniforms for two home games and so-called "color-rush" uniforms for Thursday night games. Demoff said the process for changing throwback uniforms requires only one year, so there is a possibility the Rams could explore that.

Lame, hopefully they wear them for the season opener. There is a 2 year waiting period for permanent uniform changes in the NFL. booooo.

bionic77

I really don't get Boban's love for cricket.

Though an Indian guy I know told me that apparently America and Canada apparently have International teams. This was news to me and I am not sure I believe him but I am too lazy and don't care enough to look it up on Google.

If America does play cricket I will get behind it when we play our long time rivals to the north.

Fantomex

I really don't get Boban's love for cricket.

Though an Indian guy I know told me that apparently America and Canada apparently have International teams. This was news to me and I am not sure I believe him but I am too lazy and don't care enough to look it up on Google.

If America does play cricket I will get behind it when we play our long time rivals to the north.

Cricket is like Menudo. Unless you grew up with it, it's pretty much terrible.

gutshot

This ejection rule is so stupid. Roughing the passer is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, so now if a guy gets one early in a game, he has to be very careful the rest of the game he doesn't get another one. And most of the time, these types of unsportsmanlike penalites aren't even intentional.

For example, Vinny Curry was hit with two roughing the passer penalties in a 2014 game against Washington. The first was straight up BS, the second was a grazing blow to the helmet as he tried to swat at the pass. Under the new rule, he'd be ejected from the game. How does that make any sense?

This ejection rule is so stupid. Roughing the passer is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, so now if a guy gets one early in a game, he has to be very careful the rest of the game he doesn't get another one. And most of the time, these types of unsportsmanlike penalites aren't even intentional.

For example, Vinny Curry was hit with two roughing the passer penalties in a 2014 game against Washington. The first was straight up BS, the second was a grazing blow to the helmet as he tried to swat at the pass. Under the new rule, he'd be ejected from the game. How does that make any sense?

Roughing is not Unsportsman Like conduct. It's a personal foul

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Such a bullshit rule. You're telling me you can't give someone at the league office a TV, some Yoo-hoo, and some Chex Mix and just have them watch the game and make the calls for ejections? I'm all for more ejections in certain situations but that rule is going to lead to some bullshit outcomes of games. Sometimes just one unnecessary roughness should be ejected...sometimes three! All of that needs to be evaluated by the league.

Damn good choice for Hard Knocks...good for everyone involved.

gutshot

Roughing is not Unsportsman Like conduct. It's a personal foul

Oh shit, you're right. That article I read was wrong then. Looked it up and unsportsmanlike penalties are basically just taunting opponents or verbally abusing a ref. So I guess this rule won't come into play too much.

Although I do agree with wienke that automatic ejections are pretty dumb in practice. Just have a senior official at the league office make the call.

ampere

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Encouraging touchbacks is good, kickoff returns are dangerous.

That ejection rule is bad

On the touchback rule..

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago
Touchbacks being brought to 25-yard line for a simple reason: to discourage kickoff returns, which NFL deems the most dangerous play in game

I mean, I get it but it also happens to be one of the more exciting plays in the game when its executed well. It further degrades the importance of special teams overall, IMO.

I thought the ejection proposal was dead. Must have misread.

Do kickers just start trying to put the ball on the 5 or 10 yard line?

I mean, I get it but it also happens to be one of the more exciting plays in the game when its executed well. It further degrades the importance of special teams overall, IMO.

Indeed.

Here's an interesting/important one:

Marc Sessler ‏@MarcSesslerNFL 19s19 seconds ago
McKay announces that NFL passed a proposal that allows teams to retroactively designate a player to return.

Big day for #IRBoomerang

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 1m1 minute ago
Interesting tweak to IR rule. Teams no longer have to designate one IR guy who can return when they put him on IR. Can do it after 6 wks.

Duxxy3

On the touchback rule..

Multiple changes to kickoffs, but punt returns still have no protection.

bionic77

This is obviously in response to the Bungles game where Cincy lost their mind and were just out for blood.

I am not sure what the league can do other than take football out of Ohio though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
On the touchback rule..

Yeah might as well just spot the ball on the 25 now....

It's a much bigger change than the PAT because there are playoff games and Super Bowls where the outcome would change if this rule was in effect. I don't really like it at all...

I thought the ejection proposal was dead. Must have misread.

Do kickers just start trying to put the ball on the 5 or 10 yard line?

Indeed.

I'm not sure where you'd kick it since I think if you got it to the 5 or 10, a good returner can get it to the 25 every time....unless you had damn good gunners that manage to get a free run at the returner anyway.

I could be wrong though

Top Bottom