• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Hi my night owl friends. Did i hear my boy BG is joining me in ramsnation?

Nope.

y77lHVz.png

manfestival

I swear heated discussion threads on GAF.... people just look for reasons to argue with another. Then they all claim moral high ground. I ain't got time for that shenanigans. People get too worked up over other people's problems. Seriously over here like
thinking.gif

also where is my dota thread

bionic77

Eh.

Consoles are one part market capture (for licensing dollars), one part standardization, one part DRM. Other players have always been free to try -- it's easier said than done. People rightfully give Nintendo shit for their 3rd party support, but if EA tried to roll out a console it would be the most hilarious and catastrophic failure since the 90s.

There is no money in hardware now, and there will not be any time in the near future. Unless you're Apple, of course.

Sony is doing this to push other technologies -- 4K (they still own bluray, right? What will 4K discs be sold on? Bluray, right?), VR. They sacrificed the first couple years of the PS3's life to win the bluray/HD-DVD format war, so this isn't really anything new.
We are halfway through the normal cycle. Why not just wait one more year and release a whole new console?

This new SKU will come 4 years into the generation. Why not just wait one more and release a new one altogether?

I don't get it. Are they planning for another 10+ year cycle? None of this makes sense to me.

RBH

As the Chargers move forward with their efforts to remain in San Diego, the team has pulled the sheet off the legal process that will be used to position the effort for an up-or-down vote of the electorate.

A “Citizens’ Initiative” has been finalized. If successful, the team will have the green light for a new stadium in San Diego.

“We are excited to report that our Citizens’ Initiative has been finalized,” Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said in a team-issued release. “We believe this is a great opportunity for the community to come together and create something special: an iconic, modern multi-purpose venue while also supporting and expanding our tourism and convention industries.”

The ballot box opens on November 8 (the same day as the presidential election), if the Chargers can gather 66,447 signatures through a petition drive by the middle of June.

The city’s contribution of $350 million toward the $1 billion proposed stadium would come from a hotel tax, and the effort to gather signatures for the petition can begin three weeks after publication of the Citizens’ Initiative in the local newspaper.

The real question is whether the effort requires a majority vote or a supermajority of two thirds of the ballots cast.

“There is a brand new California Court of Appeal decision that will help determine the answer to these questions,” the team explains in a question-and-answer session regarding various issues, including the 2/3 majority. “That decision is now being carefully evaluated by the San Diego City Attorney along with lawyers all across California. In the meantime, our goal is to win the support of as many voters as possible.”
-ProFootballTalk

Cezn4LWWIAAJaGg.jpg

Chargers officials believe they can build a new football stadium in downtown San Diego to replace aging Qualcomm Stadium by 2022, according to a report by ABC 10 News in San Diego.

The stadium would be municipally owned by a new Joint Powers Authority, which would be created to run the stadium and all non-football entertainment events, including concerts, the report said.

ABC 10 News, citing a source with knowledge of the team's plans, said the proposed 65,000-seat downtown stadium would call for the Chargers to apply $650 million in private funding toward the new venue, which would include a $300 million contribution from the NFL.

The team's proposal to build a football stadium downtown with an expanded bayfront convention center would clash with mayor Kevin Faulconer and San Diego County Supervisor Ron Roberts, who back a stadium in Mission Valley, site of the Chargers' current home.

The Chargers previously said the downtown venue would "create an unparalleled entertainment and sports district" to host Super Bowls and provide a home for Comic-Con, the annual entertainment and comic extravaganza that has outgrown the convention center.

The Chargers said they plan to seek voter approval in November for the downtown stadium and convention center expansion, which would be financed partly by an increase in hotel room taxes from 12.5 percent to 16.5 percent -- among the highest on the West Coast.

The team needs 66,447 signatures from registered voters by mid-June to place the initiative on the Nov. 8 ballot.

Faulconer and Roberts said their competing plan to build a new stadium on the city-owned Mission Valley site could be done faster and without raising taxes.

"After more than a decade, the Chargers are putting forward a plan of their own and San Diegans may finally have the ultimate say on a new stadium in November," Faulconer said in a statement. "The convention center element makes this proposal more than a stadium and the long term future of San Diego's tourism economy is now intertwined in this plan. As always, my top priorities are to protect jobs, protect taxpayers and do what's right for all San Diegans. I will evaluate the proposal's details through that lens."

Earlier this year, Comic-Con expressed doubts about the Chargers' plan to build a non-contiguous expansion as part of a stadium deal.

April Boling, a board member of the San Diego County Taxpayers Association, said in a statement that the Chargers' proposal "is not a good deal for San Diegans. It is only a good deal for the Chargers and the team's development partner, which wants to build a hotel on property it owns next to the new facility."

Backers of the downtown plan say the hotel tax increase would require approval of a majority of voters, but Faulconer and Roberts said it was "abundantly clear" it would need two-thirds' approval.

If the ballot measure for a new stadium fails, the Chargers could join the Los Angeles Rams in a stadium in Inglewood scheduled to open in 2019.

In January, NFL owners rejected the Chargers' proposal to move with division rival Oakland Raiders to a new stadium in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson but gave the Chargers a one-year option to join the Rams in Inglewood.

Although the Chargers agreed in principle to join the Rams, Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said after the setback that the team would remain in San Diego at least through 2016 in an attempt to get a new stadium. The NFL will give the Chargers and Raiders each an extra $100 million to go toward new stadiums in their home markets. That's on top of a $200 million loan available to each team.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15095391/chargers-believe-new-downtown-stadium-san-diego-open-22

Tom Penny

We are halfway through the normal cycle. Why not just wait one more year and release a whole new console?

This new SKU will come 4 years into the generation. Why not just wait one more and release a new one altogether?

I don't get it. Are they planning for another 10+ year cycle? None of this makes sense to me.
There is a release date? I figured its in a couple years.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The only difference between consoles and PCs nowadays is Steam. I bought Garden Warfare 2 and Mortal Kombat X earlier this week for the X-Box and the games had to install, just like a PC, had to patch, just like a PC, have to online check just like a PC. Now they get incremental upgrades, just like a PC.

This is how the console wars end.

Tom Penny

The only difference between consoles and PCs nowadays is Steam. I bought Garden Warfare 2 and Mortal Kombat X earlier this week for the X-Box and the games had to install, just like a PC, had to patch, just like a PC, have to online check just like a PC. Now they get incremental upgrades, just like a PC.

This is how the console wars end.

I dunno. A K/B and mouse is a big difference for certain genres.

Fantomex

I'm now torn over the Dangelo Russell thing now. One one hand:

1. Snitching is bad
  2. Personal stay should stay personal
  3. Shows a great lack of maturity
  4. No one will ever trust Russell

on the other hand, ya'll ever have a good friend that was dating or about to marry a horrible person that noone in the crew liked? Even though ya'll told him he wouldn't listen? Now I'm thinking Russell gave up his career to save Nick Young from a horrible mistake. That's a true act of friendship or something.

MechDX

he needs to come to L.A. Fitzmagic was made for Hollywood.

This post makes Miguel sad. Why you hatin on Case?

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
April 1 deadline, when Colin Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary becomes guaranteed, is moot. 49ers are not releasing him before then.

Niners are either playing some serious hardball with Denver or Chip wants to see what he can do with Kaep.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This post makes Miguel sad. Why you hatin on Case?

Niners are either playing some serious hardball with Denver or Chip wants to see what he can do with Kaep.

Well who would they try and get instead?

I'm guessing they might trade him on draft day depending on how the quarterbacks fall if they have a guy in mind.

bionic77

I'm now torn over the Dangelo Russell thing now. One one hand:

1. Snitching is bad
  2. Personal stay should stay personal
  3. Shows a great lack of maturity
  4. No one will ever trust Russell

on the other hand, ya'll ever have a good friend that was dating or about to marry a horrible person that noone in the crew liked? Even though ya'll told him he wouldn't listen? Now I'm thinking Russell gave up his career to save Nick Young from a horrible mistake. That's a true act of friendship or something.
That picture is disgusting.

That said only a psychopath or a verified scumbag can justify his wrong actions by pointing to an unintended good consequence as a result of it.

If one of Roethlisbergers rape victims had a baby that grew up to cure cancer that doesn't absolve him of rape (being a high profile athlete with millions of dollars did that).

The only thing you say about Russell is that he was young and stupid. Considering he is paid and expected to act like a grown ass man this does not bode well for the future of the franchise if we are hitching our wagon to this moron. It is possible that he is going to change and mature in another 2-3 years, but I would not bet on it...

I am pretty sure he gets traded to a team with a little less Swaggy P and we probably get fleeced in the process.

Yay Lakers!

/cries on fellow Steelers fan BG's shoulder

Top Bottom