• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Spinluck

I was gonna buy Division but midterm and 40hr weeks at work as of late. I don't even have time to jack off to when Luck was still good.

gutshot

Apologies if already mentioned, the rumour is Eagles gave #13 and a 4th rounder, along with their 2 players, for the Dolphins pick at #8.

That would be really strange, if true. I don't think I've ever seen a trade-up deal that didn't happen on the day of the draft. Why trade up if the guy you want may fall to you at #13? Or what if the guy you want ends up going before #8? It doesn't make much sense to trade-up now, before free agency has even started officially yet, with the draft board still in a state of flux.

I agree with effzee. This is a cap shedding move first and foremost. Any picks the Eagles get in return will just be a bonus. I'm expecting late round picks.

Lol one year too late.. Could of had Mariota last year. So if i'm reading it correctly, Murray and keep our 1st pick?

Pepiope, Titans has tons of picks this year so giving a 4th had a part to make the deal happen.

effzee

Another excellent article and insight from Les as usual.

Claims Kiko wasn't part of the initial trade talks (as I suspected) but when Miami insisted, Howie wasn't exactly opposed to it.

I really really hope the defensive moves are being made with proper consultation and input from Jim Schwartz. We are now paper thin at LB, CB, and Safety. They will need guys through FA and the draft to make immediate impact and I really don't trust Howie making all those moves/pick ups.

Euron

I feel like it won't have much replay value in late game. GAF seems to like it now, so give it a month for them all to hate it.
GAF loved Destiny during the Alpha and a bit less during the beta. It wasn't until we found out exactly how little content was in the vanilla release that people began to turn on the game.

So yeah about a month, if not 2 weeks is all it'll take.

effzee

That would be really strange, if true. I don't think I've ever seen a trade-up deal that didn't happen on the day of the draft. Why trade up if the guy you want may fall to you at #13? Or what if the guy you want ends up going before #8? It doesn't make much sense to trade-up now, before free agency has even started officially yet, with the draft board still in a state of flux.

I agree with effzee. This is a cap shedding move first and foremost. Any picks the Eagles get in return will just be a bonus. I'm expecting late round picks.

I hope people laud this move only for the salary shed and not because of the picks they get back. I am so sick of people praising picks in exchange of actual players. Considering the % of guys who amount to nothing (are cut) from any round of the draft but especially the later rounds, it drives me nuts when fans get worked up over getting picks back!

High round picks I can see but am I as a fan supposed to be excited for picks in rounds 5-7? Especially when the FO running the draft is very hit and miss? For every one quality find in those rounds, you get 5 busts who at best play STs.

If the salaries could have been reworked or just wasn't as high as it turned out to be, I would have loved to have seen Kiko and Max well still on the team over possible replacements to be found in rounds 3 and on.

Spinluck

GAF loved Destiny during the Alpha and a bit less during the beta. It wasn't until we found out exactly how little content was in the vanilla release that people began to turn on the game.

So yeah about a month, if not 2 weeks is all it'll take.

I meant to say "end game" not "late game". But I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen that fast lol.

Destiny for all its flaws is still a pretty decent FPS experience content wise, and is even better gameplay wise. But for a while on GAF it became the most hated thing ever.

Division's cover system is really cool, and a lot the tactical gameplay is appealing to me. However, I'm really concerned with the content and how fast it may burnout for me. I played the beta and thought it was so so.

This is around the time where no big games are coming out so people will buy just about anything and latch onto it. That's another reason why I'm sort of waiting things out.

Hindl

This is around the time where no big games are coming out so people will buy just about anything and latch onto it. That's another reason why I'm sort of waiting things out.

I dunno I feel like this year is disproving that. We're barely three months in and we've already had fire emblem, the witness, SFV, far cry, and have dark souls and uncharted right around the corner. I usually use this time for backlog but there's a ton of stuff out now

bleh

Williams was expected to visit the Giants early this week, but the plans never came together and it looks like the team will be moving on to other options. Jordan Raanan of NJ.com reports that Williams is “not in play” for the Giants and that Williams’ asking price, believed to be in the $10 million range, may be more than they’d like to spend.

Fantomex

dx-psd34720-png.png

I think I'm the oldest at 35

I dunno I feel like this year is disproving that. We're barely three months in and we've already had fire emblem, the witness, SFV, far cry, and have dark souls and uncharted right around the corner. I usually use this time for backlog but there's a ton of stuff out now

Yeah my 3ds backlog alone is incredible. My pokemans, let me show you them.

jbug617

Banned
Sounds like Gronk wants a pay raise. It was the risk he and the team took. He signed that contract when he was always hurt and got a chunk of the money up front.

Spinluck

I got SFV and FE, I haven't played that much.

Perhaps I'm just getting left behind lol, but yeah I guess you're right. I'm really into Smite lately, has me excited for Paragon and Overwatch coming to consoles this year.

ampere

Von Miller backs Johnny Manziel, suggests he’d take him in Denver

I realize they're good friends, but I think JFF has destroyed his football career at this point.

A super duper Do Not Want.

Elway would never take a risk on Johnny unless it was the most team friendly contract in the world, and even then he'd be a backup. I think his best bet if he wants to stay in football is to try to get a coaching job or something at a college, but he'd probably screw that up too

Spinluck

Gronk is getting paid more than Allen over 4-years (whoever said Allen was getting paid more was off), but yeah, Pats are getting a lot of fucking value out of Gronk. He's probably gonna get it, Pats cut a lot of guys without batting an eye, but he's by far the best TE in the league. Not even close.

Spinluck

Dolphins are like the Colts of the AFCE, except we win our shit division most of the time.

Are we sure Grigson isn't running more than one team in the league?

Osmele is going to sign with the Raiders..

I would figure that the draft plan is mostly defense because that Offense is looking rather solid.

Am I wrong Raiders-GAF.. Just every draft pick on the secondary?

squicken

Pey Pey and Megatron in the span of a few days. He was awesome. I know there will be Stafford jokes, but he really did benefit from being in an offense that threw the ball a lot

Yeah making a move to trade up now makes no sense at all. They guy you like could easily drop down to 13 for all we know now.

Pepiope

Yeah making a move to trade up now makes no sense at all. They guy you like could easily drop down to 13 for all we know now.
Ya, but getting rid of said players to save cap was going to happen regardless, so if the team willing to take on their contracts is also willing to give up a higher pick, then you make the deal.

Increasing the odds that you get your guy in round 1 is worth it, and if some team reaches for a QB, or wants to trade up to get one, then you're in a much better position on draft day.

Beach

Osmele is going to sign with the Raiders..

I would figure that the draft plan is mostly defense because that Offense is looking rather solid.

Am I wrong Raiders-GAF.. Just every draft pick on the secondary?
No its pretty much that
I think the only safety we have on the roster signed is Nate Allen
Only offensive need I can think of is a RB that can spell Murray and kick return
This assuming Osmele is playing left tackle
If not then add that to the list

Edit: Actually I'm hearing that he will be playing guard and they are in play of resigning Penn or another tackle

gutshot

Another excellent article and insight from Les as usual.

Claims Kiko wasn't part of the initial trade talks (as I suspected) but when Miami insisted, Howie wasn't exactly opposed to it.

I really really hope the defensive moves are being made with proper consultation and input from Jim Schwartz. We are now paper thin at LB, CB, and Safety. They will need guys through FA and the draft to make immediate impact and I really don't trust Howie making all those moves/pick ups.

Supposedly Schwartz likes bigger, more physical LBs. I don't think Kiko was a great scheme fit.

Striker

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR 3s4 seconds ago
#Dolphins nearing a deal with DE Mario Williams on a new deal. May be worth roughly $8M per year. May allow team to cut DE Cam Wake.

Ravens linked to no one. Not interested in acquiring players, only losing talent and extending Flacco.

Where you been?

Steelers appear to be letting Blake, Gay and Allen walk. That's 3 of their 4 starting DBs. Blake and Allen I can see. Blake was terrible and Allen was mediocre and is getting up there in age. He was only ever a stop-gap at safety anyway. I'm conflicted on Gay; I thought he had a great year and we should re-sign him. Maybe we still will.

But given the sudden disappearance of our starters, the fact remains that I don't see us linked to anyone either. I can't imagine we think we can draft three starters, and it's pretty clear Shamarko isn't the answer at safety, and anyone still on the team at CB couldn't beat out Blake at CB so that's telling.

I realize we don't normally dip into FA for a stud, so maybe we're gonna cherry pick some middle of the road guys a little later.

At least we don't have Failco.

Gronk is getting paid more than Allen over 4-years (whoever said Allen was getting paid more was off), but yeah, Pats are getting a lot of fucking value out of Gronk. He's probably gonna get it, Pats cut a lot of guys without batting an eye, but he's by far the best TE in the league. Not even close.

Just imagine the bitch fit Brady throws if Gronk isn't there for him. I say let him walk.

Top Bottom