• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

KingBroly

Banned
Sounds like he didn't want to be there, what can you do

That's my guess. He probably felt slighted by being benched, is getting his ring and going home, so to speak.

I don't see how anyone can say there's 'something special' happening in Houston. No offense, Texans fans, but...like...come on. He's not that kind of a QB. He's a Matt Leinart kind of guy. A pretty boy who thinks he's hot shit, but is, in reality, just shit.

jbug617

Banned
I'm just baffled at how the Broncos didn't get him signed before. They had a month, yet couldn't get it done. It's a big blow to them, especially from a morale point of view. Any QB they get is going to be worse than him (and I don't think he's that good, anyway). At this point, the Niners could get a 2nd rounder for Kaepernick because the Broncos are probably desperate enough.

From the Yahoo story it was said that the Broncos waited on Manning's decision before even making an offer to Brock. In that long wait Brock's agent was aware that the Texans would be interested. It ended up getting into a bidding war and the Broncos did not want to spend that much more money on him.

KingBroly

Banned
From the Yahoo story it was said that the Broncos waited on Manning's decision before even making an offer to Brock. In that long wait Brock's agent was aware that the Texans would be interested. It ended up getting into a bidding war and the Broncos did not want to spend that much more money on him.

Well that's just plain stupid of them then. They should have been working to re-sign him all this time.

manfestival

giphy.gif

squicken

You have a PM friend!

Mike Sando ESPN "Insider column". "Stay the course with Fitz or Hoyer"...is this guy on drugs?

Sando is great. But Denver wanted Brock back and he didn't want to be there. No spinning that. When they benched him they lost their chance to bring him back. They can say "well we won a SB" but they probably would have won anyway. Brock could have gone 3 and out the entire second half of the Owl too

That said, the Texans could have avoided all this had they taken Mack and Carr. Instead they drafted a JAG and a backup guard. So Elway certainly does have a much better record with personnel than anyone with the Texans

e: Power keeps going on an off with the freakin' thunderstorms. Pretty sure a lighting strike happened about 2 feet from my window that knocked me out of bed

The Denver thing is strange. If Bradford had waited, would he be a Plan B there? It sounds like his deal pushed the price up for Brock, so if he were still a FA, does Brock sign in Denver at a lower price. It hurts the teams b/c all the guys are repped by CAA. Brock by Sexton and Peyton and Bradford by Condon

Tebow2Ocho one step closer to Prosperity. #Pray4Floyd

It couldn't be any worse than what we currently have.

Browns/Manziel rumor is they're really, really, really, really hoping he gets suspended and/or charged with something since it triggers a way for them to get back a lot of the money they would owe him if cut. lmao cheapasses, get rid of the cancer ASAP
That and still hoping to trade him...

I'm keeping the hair of shame for a long time :(

Jarnet87

At least with Doug Martin resigned the team doesn't have to go out and spend a high draft pick on a running back.

72 Million to Osweiler is insane. Could Denver have even afforded to match this deal somehow (Maybe with a ton more guaranteed or signing bonus?).

SonnyBoy

Washington took care of their own on the 1st day of free agency, what a radical departure from that past. They've been operating like this for a couple of years now, but it's still crazy to see.

MechDX

Sando is great. But Denver wanted Brock back and he didn't want to be there. No spinning that. When they benched him they lost their chance to bring him back. They can say "well we won a SB" but they probably would have won anyway. Brock could have gone 3 and out the entire second half of the Owl too

That said, the Texans could have avoided all this had they taken Mack and Carr. Instead they drafted a JAG and a backup guard. So Elway certainly does have a much better record with personnel than anyone with the Texans

e: Power keeps going on an off with the freakin' thunderstorms. Pretty sure a lighting strike happened about 2 feet from my window that knocked me out of bed

The Denver thing is strange. If Bradford had waited, would he be a Plan B there? It sounds like his deal pushed the price up for Brock, so if he were still a FA, does Brock sign in Denver at a lower price. It hurts the teams b/c all the guys are repped by CAA. Brock by Sexton and Peyton and Bradford by Condon

You just disregarded my entire comment I made about the article. Amazing

effzee

My opinion of Howie hasn't changed 1%. Fuck that guy, he hasn't done shit so far this offseason.

Yeah its funny how eager a certain segment of the fan base is throw Chip under the bus for every move and praise Howie for doing the very thing EVERYONE agreed he could do well. No one had doubts he could negotiate good deals with team friendly cap terms or that he could manage the cap.

Howie's biggest areas of concern remain. Drafting, his ability to attract coaches, and build a FO that isn't fighting itself.

Same segment will dismiss as "media" reports (same media that is breaking all this news and covers the team day and night btw so its hilarious that fans chose what they want to believe and cherry pick) but if you follow the events it is pretty obvious with Howie back in charge the Eagles couldn't attract the top coaching candidates or even after interviewing them couldn't get them to take the job. Now Pederson might turn out to be the best coach in the history of the NFL but that is not why he was hired. He was the safe choice after the guys they really wanted took other jobs.

So that is a fail for Howie. The draft is yet to come so jury is out but past indicators show he isn't great there and now going into this draft they have even less of a full personnel dept to properly evaluate players. Honestly the way this FO is taped together right now scares me when it comes to scouting and the draft.

Don't like how he also was hiding in the shadows waiting for anything Chip fucked up to take back control. How or why he has earned Lurie's trust so much is beyond me. Other coaches, fo personnel can't get along with him, and he hasn't proven himself to be an untouchable GM yet here we are.

Its also comical how this complete makeover is "cleaning" all of Chip's mistakes yet has the same taste to it. Massive overhaul to the team, high price FAs, and guys who will supposedly fit in better scheme wise. Its what we all thought or said last year.

I am not sold on the guys they picked up from the Bills and LJ himself said they are hit or miss. The only additional that I am absolutely in love with is Brooks from the Texans to help the OLINE. Getting rid of Kiko to replace him with another Bills LB? This one we have to pay much more. The corners we have added are going to solid but nothing spectacular... so similar to last year.

The other Chip myth is that he decimated the cap somehow. Yes huge contracts to Murray and Maxwell, but they also had tons of space to begin with, cleared more by releasing vets, and coming into this off season still had cap space to maneuver. Not as much as the Raiders or Jags but they also weren't in cap hell like the Saints. Yet fans have somehow all bought into cleaning the cap mess that Chip created.

Chip's 1 draft is also going to turn out to be pretty good. Hicks we already saw the potential and play, but Agholor is poised to be much better in year 2. Everyone loved that pick, the guy is high character, and forgetting recent success in year 1, it does take WRs a season or two before coming into their own. Rowe is going to round into a solid starting CB. Bradford they liked enough to keep even after the purge.

Striker

Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton 3m3 minutes ago

Final 3 teams for Olivier Vernon were, per @theMMQB: #Giants, Jaguars, Jets
Jets willing to pay big bucks to OV? With Wilkerson already getting a big tag placed on him? Who is the QB, Geno?

Yeah its funny how eager a certain segment of the fan base is throw Chip under the bus for every move and praise Howie for doing the very thing EVERYONE agreed he could do well. No one had doubts he could negotiate good deals with team friendly cap terms or that he could manage the cap.

Howie's biggest areas of concern remain. Drafting, his ability to attract coaches, and build a FO that isn't fighting itself.

Same segment will dismiss as "media" reports (same media that is breaking all this news and covers the team day and night btw so its hilarious that fans chose what they want to believe and cherry pick) but if you follow the events it is pretty obvious with Howie back in charge the Eagles couldn't attract the top coaching candidates or even after interviewing them couldn't get them to take the job. Now Pederson might turn out to be the best coach in the history of the NFL but that is not why he was hired. He was the safe choice after the guys they really wanted took other jobs.

So that is a fail for Howie. The draft is yet to come so jury is out but past indicators show he isn't great there and now going into this draft they have even less of a full personnel dept to properly evaluate players. Honestly the way this FO is taped together right now scares me when it comes to scouting and the draft.

Don't like how he also was hiding in the shadows waiting for anything Chip fucked up to take back control. How or why he has earned Lurie's trust so much is beyond me. Other coaches, fo personnel can't get along with him, and he hasn't proven himself to be an untouchable GM yet here we are.

Its also comical how this complete makeover is "cleaning" all of Chip's mistakes yet has the same taste to it. Massive overhaul to the team, high price FAs, and guys who will supposedly fit in better scheme wise. Its what we all thought or said last year.

I am not sold on the guys they picked up from the Bills and LJ himself said they are hit or miss. The only additional that I am absolutely in love with is Brooks from the Texans to help the OLINE. Getting rid of Kiko to replace him with another Bills LB? This one we have to pay much more. The corners we have added are going to solid but nothing spectacular... so similar to last year.

The other Chip myth is that he decimated the cap somehow. Yes huge contracts to Murray and Maxwell, but they also had tons of space to begin with, cleared more by releasing vets, and coming into this off season still had cap space to maneuver. Not as much as the Raiders or Jags but they also weren't in cap hell like the Saints. Yet fans have somehow all bought into cleaning the cap mess that Chip created.

Chip's 1 draft is also going to turn out to be pretty good. Hicks we already saw the potential and play, but Agholor is poised to be much better in year 2. Everyone loved that pick, the guy is high character, and forgetting recent success in year 1, it does take WRs a season or two before coming into their own. Rowe is going to round into a solid starting CB. Bradford they liked enough to keep even after the purge.

Is he? Really? Based on.....?

effzee

Jets willing to pay big bucks to OV? With Wilkerson already getting a big tag placed on him? Who is the QB, Geno?

I think when its said and done Fitz will resign there for a 1 year deal and Petty takes over next season.

Or they somehow fall in love with another guy in this draft.

effzee

Is he? Really? Based on.....?

Well he certainly isn't a bust cause of a subpar rookie season.

As a rookie playing in this offense where half the time run game was nonexistent and the new QB was learning a new system behind a shitty OLINE, I think year 2 is going to be much better. WRs don't generally light the world on fire in rookie seasons and we only got used to it cause the past few drafts have been so good with WRs that these guys start and produce right away.

I am still going off everything we read and heard about Agholor. High character guy who is very committed to his craft, has speed and agility, and draft reports. etc.

Put it this way, he isn't a Freddie Mitchell. His comparisons were to Maclin so if he becomes that, which is a really good #2 WR, then he would have been a great pick.

Beach

Raiders doing work 5 AM local time.

With Smith, Osemele and Irvin I can call it a pretty successful free agency period. Try to go for Weddle and Penn and stop there.

effzee

Racist DC Football team fans what are your thoughts on Cooley's comments and then Orakpo's response?

I've never heard RG3 publicly say anything about his oline and Cooley's comments seem overboard but what truth is there to them?

Nice article on how the Vernon deal got done and some details that confirm my thinking from yesterday....it's essentially a two year, 41 million dollar deal. They can cut him any year after that before his salary is guaranteed. Still crazy money for two years, but hardly cap prohibitive if he doesn't perform.

http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract

In all, the Giants’ final offer is a $20 million signing bonus, a guaranteed salary of $1.75 million in 2016, and a $7 million roster bonus effective March 13 (this Sunday), along with a guaranteed salary of $11.25 million in 2016, with workout bonuses of $250,000 each year that Vernon plans to earn. His $12 million salary in 2018 is injury-guaranteed. Early in the league year of 2018, it will be fully guaranteed unless the Giants choose to cut Vernon. Effectively, this is a two-year, $41-million deal, with the Giants able to keep or cut Vernon in each of the last three years.

SonnyBoy

Division Winning DC Football team fans what are your thoughts on Cooley's comments and then Orakpo's response?

I've never heard RG3 publicly say anything about his oline and Cooley's comments seem overboard but what truth is there to them?

#Fixed That for you. Especially coming from a team that held tight to Cooper.

You'd have to listen to the entire 3 hour radio segment, to get full context. Reading 3 lines, doesn't do him justice. Cooley provides AMAZING film reviews throughout the year, it's a great listen.

He grades/judges players fairly and is overly apologetic because he knows that it's a sensitive subject. The worst thing he said was that "RGIII acted like a b*tch" or something to that effect, and it's true. When Kirk won that Browns game in 2012, he should have done the post-game presser. But RGIII is an insecure little b*tch and felt the need to affirm his status as the starter.

The truth of the matter is that RGIII know's in his heart that he'll never be a good drop back passer. He CANNOT operate on third down. So seeing the playbook expand every time Cousins got in the game hurt him. So he tried to force his way into that style of play and failed miserably.

Edit:

And it was clear that the players didn't like him. When you have receivers with bonuses tied to performance but their QB can't complete a 5 step drop... There's resentment. When your QB takes a 7 step drop, when the play calls for a 5 step drop... Thusly destoying the anchor points of the offensive linemen AND THEN blaming them... The list goes on and on.

He was horrible, insecure and blinded by "his people".

minx

Raiders win the off season. Looks like players see the team finally has potential and front office has plenty of money to spend. Maybe gone are the days of the best FAs not wanting to sign there.

Getts has made the Panthers' fanbase smarter.

Normally by now they would all be rioting because the Panthers haven't signed "Over The Hill WR X".

Stay low and build, I say. Keep all your important pieces and maintain that continuity.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Interesting.

Rick Smith seriously nailed this free agency. Addressed two major needs, then lose two starting o linemen but immediately replace both of them. I think the Texans still have around 18 million left in cap space (I think) and can add 5 million by trading/cutting Hoyer.

EDIT: Cap space around 6-8 million but can still add the 5 by cutting Hoyer.
color me not excited at all. Its brock freaking oseiler walking through that door, not Brees Rodgers or Brady.

You have a PM friend!

Mike Sando ESPN "Insider column". "Stay the course with Fitz or Hoyer"...is this guy on drugs?
yea this i can agree with. Stay the course with Fitzpatrick or Hoyer? Did he miss the chiefs texans playoff game?

KingBroly

Banned
Getts has made the Panthers' fanbase smarter.

Normally by now they would all be rioting because the Panthers haven't signed "Over The Hill WR X".

Stay low and build, I say. Keep all your important pieces and maintain that continuity.

Good teams do that, but it is nice to splurge every now and then.

Brandon Lee Gowton ‏@BrandonGowton 1m1 minute ago

Report: Eagles interested in WR Andre Holmes

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Holy fuck Brady got a $28m signing bonus.

Top Bottom