• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Pepiope

Howie can't attract coaches? Chip was the biggest name in the NFL when he was hired and at the time everyone was saying the same thing, no one wants to work with Howie. Now he goes out and gets a candidate who I'm sure Lurie wanted, but still brought along a top DC to go with him. As I said before, like Chip, Howie deserves a shot. He seems to be working in collaboration with the coaching staff, so all is well. I'm not jumping on the hate Howie bandwagon. He hasn't done anything wrong.

Fox318

Zierlein mocked Noah Spence to the Jets in the first?!

giphy.gif

jbug617

Banned
Brady's new contract is done.

Brady's new contract has finally been completed. Gets a $28m signing bonus. Salaries of $1m, $1m, $14m, $14m. Total value: $60m over 4 years
Brady cap numbers: $14m, $14m, $22m, $22m. Those last two won't look so bad if/when the cap keeps climbing $10m+ each year
Brady was due to make $19m the next two years. Now he makes $30m the next two years, $30m the two after that
Brady's 2017 salary of $1m only becomes guaranteed if he's on the #Patriots roster the third day of the 2017 season. I think he's safe

If Brady does get suspended he only loses $235,294 instead of $2,118,000.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not worried about Elway finding a QB. Just have the team ready for one when you find him.

With the remaining FA and draft coming we'll have options. Could even do a bridge year and make a run at Luck if the Colts don't get an extension done this year. Although that's more of a fantasy scenario.

We all knew Peyton's days were numbered and Brock was a question mark. This day was coming. Just faster now that Brock bailed out. I'll be fine with whatever they put under center because it's likely an improvement from last year.

Beach

Brandon Lee Gowton ‏@BrandonGowton 1m1 minute ago

Report: Eagles interested in WR Andre Holmes

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Holy fuck Brady got a $28m signing bonus.
An average tall WR that drops a lot of balls
Nothing more than a #4 receiver

Farooq

Banned
Wait, Clayborn re-signed with Atlanta? Hoping the Cowboys could have signed him. Well, atleast the Cowboys didn't overspend on some player with character concerns and/or players who probably won't play up to the value of the contract.

effzee

#Fixed That for you. Especially coming from a team that held tight to Cooper.

First of all F U! 1 player vs a team name/identify for decades.

You'd have to listen to the entire 3 hour radio segment, to get full context. Reading 3 lines, doesn't do him justice. Cooley provides AMAZING film reviews throughout the year, it's a great listen.

He grades/judges players fairly and is overly apologetic because he knows that it's a sensitive subject. The worst thing he said was that "RGIII acted like a b*tch" or something to that effect, and it's true. When Kirk won that Browns game in 2012, he should have done the post-game presser. But RGIII is an insecure little b*tch and felt the need to affirm his status as the starter.

The truth of the matter is that RGIII know's in his heart that he'll never be a good drop back passer. He CANNOT operate on third down. So seeing the playbook expand every time Cousins got in the game hurt him. So he tried to force his way into that style of play and failed miserably.

Edit:

And it was clear that the players didn't like him. When you have receivers with bonuses tied to performance but their QB can't complete a 5 step drop... There's resentment. When your QB takes a 7 step drop, when the play calls for a 5 step drop... Thusly destoying the anchor points of the offensive linemen AND THEN blaming them... The list goes on and on.

He was horrible, insecure and blinded by "his people".

Right but why is Orakpo mad at Cooley then? And my question still stands, what has RG3 actually said? Or is it behind the scenes stuff reported on and not actually what he publicly said?

effzee

Howie can't attract coaches? Chip was the biggest name in the NFL when he was hired and at the time everyone was saying the same thing, no one wants to work with Howie. Now he goes out and gets a candidate who I'm sure Lurie wanted, but still brought along a top DC to go with him. As I said before, like Chip, Howie deserves a shot. He seems to be working in collaboration with the coaching staff, so all is well. I'm not jumping on the hate Howie bandwagon. He hasn't done anything wrong.

No he can't. They settled on Pederson. They wanted Gase and then McAdoo, even interviewed Coughlin who was still in ex GF syndrome, and then settled for Pederson.

Chip first walked away from the Eagles and then had a change of heart after the Eagles didn't stop pursuing him plus possible sanctions against Oregon. Before that and even now many rumblings from credible reporters that many around the league are put off by his attitude and don't like to work with him.

As I said its not everything but Howie himself said during the Pederson presser than he needs to work on "relationships" and that the year away helped him realize that. There is bad blood between him and Banner. Him and Reid weren't also the best of buds.

There are also reports that he didn't like Chip's chosen personnel guy Tom Gamble to the point his group of scouts would hide evaluations from him.

Yes you are right in that he hasn't done anything wrong but you keep harping on "he deserves a shot" as if this is some new GM. Some hot new up and coming well regarded personnel guy. He isn't. Hes been the GM for 5 years and hasn't exactly produced much outside of always being savvy with the salary cap. How or why you think he deserves a shot, over say tons of potential top personnel guys vying for a GM position, is beyond me. What has he done to earn the GM spot again?

Being buddies with Lurie doesn't count. If Chip's personnel decisions for 1 year are viewed as debacle and the reason to fire him (we know this isn't the real reason) then Howie should have been fired for his so so drafts and dream team fiasco.

Wait, Clayborn re-signed with Atlanta? Hoping the Cowboys could have signed him. Well, atleast the Cowboys didn't overspend on some player with character concerns and/or players who probably won't play up to the value of the contract.

What do you think about resigning Rolando McClain?

Draxal

Nice article on how the Vernon deal got done and some details that confirm my thinking from yesterday....it's essentially a two year, 41 million dollar deal. They can cut him any year after that before his salary is guaranteed. Still crazy money for two years, but hardly cap prohibitive if he doesn't perform.

http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract

Basically, Jacksonville had the no state income tax thing for it, but it's still Jacksonville going against it.

#Fixed That for you. Especially coming from a team that held tight to Cooper.

You'd have to listen to the entire 3 hour radio segment, to get full context. Reading 3 lines, doesn't do him justice. Cooley provides AMAZING film reviews throughout the year, it's a great listen.

He grades/judges players fairly and is overly apologetic because he knows that it's a sensitive subject. The worst thing he said was that "RGIII acted like a b*tch" or something to that effect, and it's true. When Kirk won that Browns game in 2012, he should have done the post-game presser. But RGIII is an insecure little b*tch and felt the need to affirm his status as the starter.

The truth of the matter is that RGIII know's in his heart that he'll never be a good drop back passer. He CANNOT operate on third down. So seeing the playbook expand every time Cousins got in the game hurt him. So he tried to force his way into that style of play and failed miserably.

Edit:

And it was clear that the players didn't like him. When you have receivers with bonuses tied to performance but their QB can't complete a 5 step drop... There's resentment. When your QB takes a 7 step drop, when the play calls for a 5 step drop... Thusly destoying the anchor points of the offensive linemen AND THEN blaming them... The list goes on and on.

He was horrible, insecure and blinded by "his people".

As a DC fan...completely disagree.

You think the locker room wasn't vomiting at the thought of Kirk after the shit he did prior to last season when he got his shot? When he was throwing multiple ints a game and looking like a bitch on the sideline?

I think whatever the cause was for the fuckup that season has yet to really be determined. Robert didn't get a chance to redeem himself playing behind that offense while Kirk did. But if Kirk never played again this year, we'd be judging him off of whatever bullshit had happened that year.

Right but why is Orakpo mad at Cooley then? And my question still stands, what has RG3 actually said? Or is it behind the scenes stuff reported on and not actually what he publicly said?

Cooley has shown bias. Yes, he does have very intricate breakdowns, but I've seen breakdowns where he's tried to spin things for Cousins. For example early this season when Kirk had a pick 6, there'd be something about the receivers route being a little off. He'd try to paint things in a positive light for Kirk and it was pretty obvious. He was excusing almost all of Kirks bad play for much of the year until Kirk noticeably improved after the Tampa game.

effzee

Brian Hoyer Someone To Watch For Broncos? https://t.co/yULCwHOZlt
#Texans #Broncos

Omg. If Rick Smith gets a draft pick from the Broncos for Hoyer he should send a pic of his bare ass to Elway along with him

I just don't get why Denver would be at all interested in Hoyer or Fitz unless they are trying to draft a QB from this year's class. Take a guy like Kaep who is much younger and has tons of upside if he ever corrects his issues AND has already taken his team to the SB over guys who are career backups at best.

SonnyBoy

LOL

Cus Cooley has given his opinion on Orakpo too. He's stated that Orakpo was a one trick pony. Which he was... He was also often injured with the torn bicep.

RGIII has never mouthed the words. But for those locally in the media, and people who observe the interactions... I guess they're reading in between the lines. Additionally, if you rewatch his lowlights, count how many times an offensive lineman helps him up from the turf. They'd often turn their back on him, which is pretty telling.

effzee

Cooley has shown bias. Yes, he does have very intricate breakdowns, but I've seen breakdowns where he's tried to spin things for Cousins. For example early this season when Kirk had a pick 6, there'd be something about the receivers route being a little off. He'd try to paint things in a positive light for Kirk and it was pretty obvious. He was excusing almost all of Kirks bad play for much of the year until Kirk noticeably improved after the Tampa game.

What is Orakpo responding to? Cooley or his comments about RG3?

Respect

I just don't get why Denver would be at all interested in Hoyer or Fitz unless they are trying to draft a QB from this year's class. Take a guy like Kaep who is much younger and has tons of upside if he ever corrects his issues AND has already taken his team to the SB over guys who are career backups at best.

Kaep would have to be traded though.

MechDX

Ijust don't get why Denver would be at all interested in Hoyer or Fitz unless they are trying to draft a QB from this year's class. Take a guy like Kaep who is much younger and has tons of upside if he ever corrects his issues AND has already taken his team to the SB over guys who are career backups at best.

Depends on the price. Everyone knows Denver needs a QB now. Supply and demand

Texans would give up Hoyer for a conditional 6th. No one thought they could trade Schaub after 2013 either.
Don't forget the Jets need a QB as well

effzee

Reading more into how much the Eagles signed Chase Daniels for, more than who will start, its pretty obvious to me the Eagles have no intentions of a rebuild. Or a rebuild in the traditional sense. Additionally I don't think they really like any of the QB in this year's draft so they rather move forward with Bradford and back him up with someone Pederson feels extremely comfortable with.

Despite the players they moved on from, they believe they can win now. I actually appreciate this. In today's NFL I don't think you need 5 years to turn things around. Makes sense. Despite the problems last season they were 1 win away from the playoffs. Fix the OLINE, which they did yesterday already, hope Bradford plays like he did 2nd half of the season, and improve D almost automatically by not running uptempo and I bet they figure they can be 2-3 games better than they were last season.

BTW Chase Daniels is the Sam Bradford of back up QBs. Has made shit ton of money for barely ever playing or being good.

SonnyBoy

You think the locker room wasn't vomiting at the thought of Kirk after the shit he did prior to last season when he got his shot? When he was throwing multiple ints a game and looking like a bitch on the sideline?
No, I wouldn't say vomiting. I'm sure some were worried. When DJax came in, he had to hold a meeting to unite the team. Half was pro RGIII, the other was pro Cousins... So there's always been a divide.

I think whatever the cause was for the fuckup that season has yet to really be determined. Robert didn't get a chance to redeem himself playing behind that offense while Kirk did. But if Kirk never played again this year, we'd be judging him off of whatever bullshit had happened that year.

Redeem himself how? He can't say healthy... He's always hurt for many weeks at a time. He missed an entire off-season nursing an ACL, rushed back and got figured out by the defenses. The following year, he breaks his ankle. That's another 6 weeks. This last preseason, he gets concussed against a vanilla defense. It's not a matter of "if", it's "WHEN" will he get hurt? His lack of opportunity is directly tied to his inability to stay on the field and get reps. Which is why Russell blossomed. He had deficiencies but he's always healthy and has grown.

But Kirk did play and he played great. He involved his playmakers and the passing offense looked better than it has, at any point since they've both been on the team.

Godslay

Banned
Depends on the price. Everyone knows Denver needs a QB now. Supply and demand

Texans would give up Hoyer for a conditional 6th. No one thought they could trade Schaub after 2013 either.
Don't forget the Jets need a QB as well

They're locked on to Kap.

Hoyer is a reach, probably hit the draft before that happens.

gutshot

No he can't. They settled on Pederson. They wanted Gase and then McAdoo, even interviewed Coughlin who was still in ex GF syndrome, and then settled for Pederson.

Chip first walked away from the Eagles and then had a change of heart after the Eagles didn't stop pursuing him plus possible sanctions against Oregon. Before that and even now many rumblings from credible reporters that many around the league are put off by his attitude and don't like to work with him.

As I said its not everything but Howie himself said during the Pederson presser than he needs to work on "relationships" and that the year away helped him realize that. There is bad blood between him and Banner. Him and Reid weren't also the best of buds.

There are also reports that he didn't like Chip's chosen personnel guy Tom Gamble to the point his group of scouts would hide evaluations from him.

Yes you are right in that he hasn't done anything wrong but you keep harping on "he deserves a shot" as if this is some new GM. Some hot new up and coming well regarded personnel guy. He isn't. Hes been the GM for 5 years and hasn't exactly produced much outside of always being savvy with the salary cap. How or why you think he deserves a shot, over say tons of potential top personnel guys vying for a GM position, is beyond me. What has he done to earn the GM spot again?

Being buddies with Lurie doesn't count. If Chip's personnel decisions for 1 year are viewed as debacle and the reason to fire him (we know this isn't the real reason) then Howie should have been fired for his so so drafts and dream team fiasco.

I tend to give Howie the benefit of the doubt in all of these conflicts between coaches and other FO people. As a non-football guy, I imagine he gets a ton of crap from lifelongers who don't think he belongs. They might be trying to undermine and disrespect him from the moment they start working together, thinking he is in over his head. It's entirely possible, maybe even probable, that all the poor working relationships he seems to have stem from this conflict.

Yeah, he's very ambitious and can be seemingly ruthless at times. But he likely has to be to avoid getting walked all over. And all the bad press about Howie has come from people he's had fired over the years. We've never actually heard his side of the story, only theirs. Maybe those people were being absolute dicks to him and that is why they were let go?

As to the coaches thing, it could be that no one wanted to work with Howie. Or it could just be that Gase and McAdoo thought the QB situations for their current teams was better than the Eagles QB situation. We don't really know. All we know is the Eagles courted those guys but they ended up going elsewhere. Whether it was due to Howie or not is pure conjecture. Like was already pointed out, a few years ago the Eagles got the no. 1 most sought after coach in Chip Kelly with Howie as GM.

SonnyBoy

Also, Cooley said that players feel that he's messing with their money. By doing the reviews, it casts them in a negative light. Which is absolutely ludicrous to believe a GM is taking Cooley's film reviews into consideration lol.

Hindl

Reading more into how much the Eagles signed Chase Daniels for, more than who will start, its pretty obvious to me the Eagles have no intentions of a rebuild. Or a rebuild in the traditional sense. Additionally I don't think they really like any of the QB in this year's draft so they rather move forward with Bradford and back him up with someone Pederson feels extremely comfortable with.

Despite the players they moved on from, they believe they can win now. I actually appreciate this. In today's NFL I don't think you need 5 years to turn things around. Makes sense. Despite the problems last season they were 1 win away from the playoffs. Fix the OLINE, which they did yesterday already, hope Bradford plays like he did 2nd half of the season, and improve D almost automatically by not running uptempo and I bet they figure they can be 2-3 games better than they were last season.

BTW Chase Daniels is the Sam Bradford of back up QBs. Has made shit ton of money for barely ever playing or being good.

Yeah it's looking like it. The moves look like they are plugging every available position besides the QB and locking that down for the next 4-5 years. So hopefully they take a mid round project either this year or next year (Dak?) to develop while seeing how Bradford/Daniel work out. And if they don't the Eagles can plug in their developmental rookie.

I'm not so sure next season will be immediately better though. Our defense should be improved, but I have a feeling it'll take our O Line a little time to gel, and we'll probably lose JP to injury. Also gotta hope that one of Agholor or Huff steps up, which you can't bet on. I'm going to guess we'll be somewhere in the 6-9 win range again. I see this upcoming season more as an evaluation of the young talent we have and where we've solidified a position vs where we need to look in 2017. With the unloading of Maxwell and Murray, and next season the likely retirement of JP and possibly moving on from Barwin, the Eagles should have a lot of cap space to plug any holes they find in 2016

Godslay

Banned
Kaep is the main target for the Broncos according to Silver.

Sounds like they want a 2nd, Denver is offering a 3rd.

Kaep willing to renegotiate salary, might not need to given how his deal is set up.

I like it, a 3rd is perfect as it's what we are likely to get for Brock leaving.

Let's be honest though the only talent we lost was Miller
Grimes is falling off but he was still the best CB on the team by far... Vernon is no Wake but he's a solid DE coming into his prime. The team got worse at their respective positions with them leaving.

I don't trust 34 year old Cam Wake coming off of an achilles tear either. Dolphins will have little to no pass rush next season, I'd bet.

Top Bottom