• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Sam Bradford could easily be traded again:

Last year at 4:01 p.m. ET on the first day of the league year, the Eagles and Rams dropped a bomb on the NFL, swapping quarterbacks Nick Foles and Sam Bradford. This year, it’s possible that the Eagles could unleash another Bradford-related surprise.

Based on the terms of Bradford’s contract, he could be traded by the Eagles.
Per a source with knowledge of the deal, the first $5.5 million installment of Bradford’s $11 million signing bonus isn’t due until March 18, 2016. The second is due on or before September 1, 2016. So the Eagles have yet to pay Bradford a penny; they could transfer his entire contract to a new team.
It’s not unusual for contracts to contain a lag between the signing of a contract and the payment of the signing bonus. But with the Eagles reportedly reaching a deal with quarterback Chase Daniel and with the terms of Daniel’s deal on complete and total lockdown until 4:00 p.m. ET at the earliest, it’s entirely possible that the

Eagles will do what Bradford feared they’d do if he had signed an extension after arriving via trade a year ago — abruptly flip him to another team, like the Browns or the Texans or the 49ers.
Even though the Eagles haven’t paid Bradford’s bonus, they’d be responsible for the full $11 million under their 2016 cap. But they would get a full credit for the money in 2017, allowing for the bonus money to essentially be carried over by a year. Besides, the move also would clear Bradford’s $7 million salary off the books, creating a net cap gain for 2016 of $1.5 million.

We’re not reporting that it’s happening or speculating that it will or otherwise doing anything other than pointing out that, given the structure of Bradford’s contract (which per a source with knowledge of the deal does not contain a trade clause), it could happen.
Last year, when Foles and Bradford were swapped, no one saw it coming. This year, if Bradford goes the way of DeMarco Murray and Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso, it shouldn’t be as big of a surprise as it was in 2015.

I fell like what Florio is missing in all this is that last year the Eagles had a trade worked out for Bradford to the Browns but Sam said he didnt want to go there and that he wouldnt resign with them if he was traded there. If they Eagles got him to resign and then traded him to the Browns they would be basically going behind his back to circumvent his wishes. I imagine the PA would have a huge problem with that and also potential FA would not trust them in the future. No way do I think this will happen.

No he can't. They settled on Pederson. They wanted Gase and then McAdoo, even interviewed Coughlin who was still in ex GF syndrome, and then settled for Pederson.

The Pederson pick had nothing to do with who they could get. It had to do with the fact that he coached under Reid and they wanted that familiarity.

Hindl

Hopefully Cowboys can get rid of fucking Goldencock (
Nick Hayden
). Please, let this happen. Cowboys need a 1-tech so bad. Fuck they don't need a 1-tech, they just need an excuse to get rid of Hayden. Fuck Hayden.

Yeah I'd hate if Ced goes to the Cowboys, especially since we'd see him twice a year. But he's damn good. Though don't you guys run a 4-3? Should be interesting to see how he makes that transition.

The Pederson pick had nothing to do with who they could get. It had to do with the fact that he coached under Reid and they wanted that familiarity.

Why did they offer the job to Gase first then? If all they wanted was Reid 2.0 why not just interview him first or at least not offer the job to other people? I do not believe that Dougie was the first choice at all. All the real coaches turned them down so they had to settle for this joke of a coach.

Why did they offer the job to Gase first then? If all they wanted was Reid 2.0 why not just interview him first or at least not offer the job to other people? I do not believe that Dougie was the first choice at all. All the real coaches turned them down so they had to settle for this joke of a coach.

Just because one person chose Miami doesn't magically mean all other coaches thought the Eagles organization was broken. It means he liked Miami better. Anything else is pure speculation. There were reportedly five teams after Gase. Are the four that didn't get him all magically screwed up organizations because of that metric?

Just because one person chose Miami doesn't magically mean all other coaches thought the Eagles organization was broken. It means he liked Miami better. Anything else is pure speculation.

The point is if Dougie was their first choice why interview Gase first and offer him the job? Also several reports have come out the TC basically turned down the Eagles as well. Why would you offer the job to him if you wanted Dougie? It definitely seems like they tried to get real coaches and for what ever reason (Howie), those coaches said no so they reached out to someone who they knew couldnt say no.

Grimes is falling off but he was still the best CB on the team by far... Vernon is no Wake but he's a solid DE coming into his prime. The team got worse at their respective positions with them leaving.

I don't trust 34 year old Cam Wake coming off of an achilles tear either. Dolphins will have little to no pass rush next season, I'd bet.

Maxwell is taking over for Grimes, at best Grimes would have been our number two CB so even if we kept Grimes we still need a number one guy and Maxwell should do well under Vance, he runs a zone scheme that is better suited for Maxwell than what the eagles had him playing under and we get Maxwell for a million cheaper, he's younger and without Miko, so losing Grimes and gaining Maxwell is a wash at worst.

As far as Vernon, I'd be willing to bet Mario replaces his production easily but regardless we'd still need another pass rusher even if we kept Vernon as he's a number 3 pass rusher at best so expect Miami to either bring in another guy during FA (I hear Robert Ayers) or to draft one (possibly with the 13th pick). Drafting one would be the best option since we need someone to take over for Wake when he's finally done and Vernon wasn't going to be that guy.

Overall the Dolphins have only really lost Miller and if we get CJ then even that won't be that big of a loss (I prefer Miller though), I'm ok with all the moves so far and better yet we haven't overspent on anyone.

The point is if Dougie was their first choice why interview Gase first and offer him the job? Also several reports have come out the TC basically turned down the Eagles as well. Why would you offer the job to him if you wanted Dougie? It definitely seems like they tried to get real coaches and for what ever reason (Howie), those coaches said no so they reached out to someone who they knew couldnt say no.

Let me rephrase then. Pederson getting the job had nothing to do with the organization being considered dysfunctional by other head coaching candidates. It's an idiotic theory in general. Yes, they liked Gase and reportedly offerred him a job, like four other teams probably did. Not getting one guy and settling on a second guy isn't evidence that "no one wants to coach in Philly". That's especially true when there's a blatantly obvious reason for the organization to go with a coaching choice like the one the Eagles made, that being existing familiarity with the coach, and the system he coaches in. If the Eagles couldn't get any coaches, they probably wouldn't have been able to get Jim Schwarz to sign on as he was probably the best DC you could hope for.

As far as Vernon, I'd be willing to bet Mario replaces his production easily but regardless we'd still need another pass rusher even if we kept Vernon as he's a number 3 pass rusher at best so expect Miami to either bring in another guy during FA (I hear Robert Ayers) or to draft one (possibly with the 13th pick). Drafting one would be the best option since we need someone to take over for Wake when he's finally done and Vernon wasn't going to be that guy.
Enjoy him for 11 games. Like most Giants - he was good when healthy. He's just never healthy and word through the grape vine is he wants 10 million/yr.

Maxwell is taking over for Grimes, at best Grimes would have been our number two CB so even if we kept Grimes we still need a number one guy and Maxwell should do well under Vance, he runs a zone scheme that is better suited for Maxwell than what the eagles had him playing under and we get Maxwell for a million cheaper, he's younger and without Miko, so losing Grimes and gaining Maxwell is a wash at worst.

Overall the Dolphins have only really lost Miller and if we get CJ then even that won't be that big of a loss (I prefer Miller though), I'm ok with all the moves so far and better yet we haven't overspent on anyone.
Yeah I mean the team isn't falling apart or anything but I don't really think they've improved. I hate Maxwell as a player, dude is so weak and incapable of locking down great #1 WRs. Maybe Grimes wouldn't be any better but neither is exciting in that position.

I just think about how mediocre the team was last season and try to see where they've improved. Overall they haven't, in my opinion.

Godslay

Banned
I like how Shannon Sharpe put it, in that you can blame it on being benched or being handcuffed at the line, but Osweiler had $37M reasons to leave. Easy choice to get paid.

Enjoy him for 11 games. Like most Giants - he was good when healthy. He's just never healthy and word through the grape vine is he wants 10 million/yr.

At that price no thanks, I really think we'll draft one.

Yeah I mean the team isn't falling apart or anything but I don't really think they've improved. I hate Maxwell as a player, dude is so weak and incapable of locking down great #1 WRs. Maybe Grimes wouldn't be any better but neither is exciting in that position.

I just think about how mediocre the team was last season and try to see where they've improved. Overall they haven't, in my opinion.

Fair enough, I don't think we've improved much either, I think talent wise they mostly stayed the same (minus Miller) but got cheaper/younger at CB/LB and older at DE but will get the same production. As number 2 Maxwell shouldn't be locking down #1 receivers, like I said he's number two just like Grimes would be now and Alonso is a weak side LB which we had in Jenkins but I hear they want to move on from him for whatever reason so I think at best they managed to replace everyone that left talent wise (minus Miller) and we're getting a 3rd round pick for Vernon, a pick for Miller and we got 5 Million more in cap space. I guess it's a lateral move as we didn't create any more holes on the roster after all these moves. We still need a #1 CB, two LBs, another DE, a Guard or two, the only thing move that hurt us (for now...unless we get CJ) was losing Miller.

At that price no thanks, I really think we'll draft one.

Fair enough, I don't think we've improved much either, I think talent wise they mostly stayed the same (minus Miller) but got cheaper/younger at CB/LB and older at DE but will get the same production. As number 2 Maxwell shouldn't be locking down #1 receivers, like I said he's number two just like Grimes would be now and Alonso is a weak side LB which we had in Jenkins but I hear they want to move on from him for whatever reason so I think at best they managed to replace everyone that left talent wise (minus Miller) and we're getting a 3rd round pick for Vernon, a pick for Miller and we got 5 Million more in cap space. I guess it's a lateral move as we didn't create any more holes on the roster after all these moves. We still need a #1 CB, two LBs, another DE, a Guard or two, the only thing move that hurt us (for now...unless we get CJ) was losing Miller.
Help me out here, why are we assuming Maxwell is #2 CB?

LevelNth

Banned
I am seriously in shock that teams are legitimately considering trading for Kap, or that anyone actually believes his play quality hasn't been a steady and consistent decline since his very first start.

He showed tendencies and patterns on film last year that should make anyone question him as a backup, let alone a starter. And as any individual almost 29, his agility has taken a serious hit since his first year and will only continue to do so.

Drakeon

I am seriously in shock that teams are legitimately considering trading for Kap, or that anyone actually believes his play quality hasn't been a steady and consistent decline since his very first start.

He showed tendencies and patterns on film last year that should make anyone question him as a backup, let alone a starter. And as any individual almost 29, his agility has taken a serious hit since his first year and will only continue to do so.

No one but Niners fans really watched Kap from 2014-2015. He looked like the worst QB in the league last year at times.

I mean, it's possible you could fix him I suppose, but I think the truth I'm coming to accept out of the Harbaugh Era is that Harbaugh really didn't do shit to progress Kap to being a better QB, he simply hid and limited his errors the best he could.

Never underestimate how desperate teams are for QBs *points to Browns jersey*

Help me out here, why are we assuming Maxwell is #2 CB?

He's not good enough to be number 1, we know that, he knows that, the teams knows that (I hope), it would be dumb to assume he would be. That's why I'm saying that he's replacing Grimes as the number 2 because that's what Grimes would be had he stayed this year, Grimes isn't a number 1 CB anymore, he lost his speed which was his biggest advantage, dude doesn't do anything special, his talent was that he could run and he can jump which allowed him to cover up his height disadvantage and now he no longer has that speed, his technique was sound but he was never some elite talent. The Dolphins still need to go out and find another CB or draft one (Alexander is having is pro day right now and putting up impressive numbers, we can get him at 13). If we draft one they'll we'll need to sign a vet and Patrick Robinson would be a great fit if we can get him.

squicken

The consensus this morning is that we're tanking to stockpile draft picks and won't even take a QB at #2, instead trading down for more picks.

Even talk of trading Joe Thomas.

I read something about them being in 76ers mode the next two years. Are the new analytics guys going to tank this year? The roster is somehow going to be worse this year than last

He's not good enough to be number 1, we know that, he knows that, the teams knows that (I hope), it would be dumb to assume he would be. That's why I'm saying that he's replacing Grimes as the number 2 because that's what Grimes would be had he stayed this year, Grimes isn't a number 1 CB anymore, he lost his speed which was his biggest advantage, dude doesn't do anything special, his talent was that he could run and he can jump which allowed him to cover up his height disadvantage and now he no longer has that speed, his technique was sound but he was never some elite talent. The Dolphins still need to go out and find another CB or draft one (Alexander is having is pro day right now and putting up impressive numbers, we can get him at 13). If we draft one they'll we'll need to sign a vet and Patrick Robinson would be a great fit if we can get him.
I agree with all of that and I certainly hope they address the issue somehow, whether through the draft or FA, but I'm not willing to assume Maxwell won't be the best CB on the roster by the time week 1 rolls around. Even if they draft a guy there's no guarantee he'll be good enough to lock up that role.

The realist in me expects CB to be a major issue next season no matter what else happens.

I read something about them being in 76ers mode the next two years. Are the new analytics guys going to tank this year? The roster is somehow going to be worse this year than last

"By my calculations *punches in numbers, calculator explodes, building catches fire and burns down around us* we're fucked"

I agree with all of that and I certainly hope they address the issue somehow, whether through the draft or FA, but I'm not willing to assume Maxwell won't be the best CB on the roster by the time week 1 rolls around. Even if they draft a guy there's no guarantee he'll be good enough to lock up that role.

The realist in me expects CB to be a major issue next season no matter what else happens.

Well yeah I think so too, I'm not looking for Miami to fill all those holes in one off season, it just wasn't going to happen, what they did those was replace the talent they lost for cheaper, now they have more room to fill in the other holes I mentioned earlier. I mean they've only signed a swing tackle so far :/ and most of the best FA guards are already off the market. The Dolphins are kinda stuck in this weird mix of rebuild/win now mode which is stupid but well #Dolphinsfootball and all that...

And that Trailer...damn I can't wait. Civil war and Xmen for my Birthday month :D

Edit: Poor delusional mech...

Line_HTX

Colts don't have any needs. Their players were injured so they're coming back.

They'll be fine.

Yo Chris, yours is the month of May also?

That Civil War trailer tho...

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

Spidey!

squicken

Was that Toby Maguire? It sounded like Toby Maguire. Spidey 1&2 are better than any Disney Marvel so good get for them if it's him

Was that Toby Maguire? It sounded like Toby Maguire. Spidey 1&2 are better than any Disney Marvel so good get for them if it's him
No, its Tom Holland.

Spidey 2 has not aged well (but its still pretty good) and the first Spider-man move so completely fucked up the Green Goblin with Goblin Ranger it deserves to be forgotten. It's an /ok/ movie at best. I'd take Winter Soldier, Guardians and the original Avengers over either in a heartbeat.

No it is a new actor but he was definitely trying to do the same nerdy thing with his voice. He is going to be an awkward teenager in the MCU.

Top Bottom