• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

I don't mind the signing. Don't think they could get a better Mike for what they paid (even assuming he hits his incentives).

He was a mixed bag last year, especially in the run game with his fits early in the season. Got better as the season wore on, hopefully that was just rust from the suspension.

Curious to see what they do to address Sam.

Edit: You a fan of Weddle? You posted rumours about Weddle earlier and now Fish and Broad are saying something might happen.

Personally, I wouldn't sign him unless he accepts a below market offer. I could see Dallas upping their number if they get rid of Carr. They are interested in Nolan Carrol, who could work as a CB2.

I really like the idea ofhaving another solid veteran in the secondary, especially if we draft Jalen Ramsey.

If Weddle can play at a good level for another 2-3 years that is

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Browns look like they're shitting the bed?

Nobody knows what they're doing?

Disrespect at an all time high!

HERE I COME!!!! BATHE ME IN IT!!!

addycelebration.gif

squicken

The Browns made Schwartz an offer prior to free agency. Cleveland.com reported it was worth $7 million per year. Schwartz's camp said he wanted to test the market, but felt there was an agreement the team's offer would stand after he saw what was available on the market. When he found more money wasn't necessarily out there, he came back to the Browns to see if the pre-free agency offer stood.

The team at that point had moved on. Schwartz's money had been parceled elsewhere. He wound up signing in Kansas City for a reported $6.6 million per year.

The argument could be made that the team should have reconsidered and taken Schwartz back. He is a professional who has done a lot right since he was drafted. His agent said that though he's excited to be in Kansas City, he liked Cleveland and wanted to stay. Add in the Browns had almost $50 million in salary cap room. It does not seem like $7 million per year for a good right tackle is lavish.

The Browns didn't do it. The Browns live with the fallout.
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-b...by-free-agent-decisions-live-with-the-fallout

"Schwartz's money had been parceled elsewhere." Where?

No one but Niners fans really watched Kap from 2014-2015. He looked like the worst QB in the league last year at times.

I mean, it's possible you could fix him I suppose, but I think the truth I'm coming to accept out of the Harbaugh Era is that Harbaugh really didn't do shit to progress Kap to being a better QB, he simply hid and limited his errors the best he could.

Pretty much. I posted this last year.

Colin Kaepernick last 8 games in 2014
56% 1413yards 7td 5int 76.6 Passer rating 50 rush attempts

Colin Kaepernick first 8 games in 2015
59% 1615yards 6td 5int 78.8 Passer rating 45 rush attempts

And then the uninformed comments from experts to the peanut gallery about how Gabbert was so terribad and why are you playing him. But Kaepernick had bottomed out to where "the worst QB in the league" was not hyperbole. You could see teammates disgust with his play. A move had to be made. And with a guy who was dubbed one of the worst QBs of the decade looking more competent than you, it's a bad sign.

Farooq

Banned
Yeah I'd hate if Ced goes to the Cowboys, especially since we'd see him twice a year. But he's damn good. Though don't you guys run a 4-3? Should be interesting to see how he makes that transition.

Reading that the Cowboys are indeed moving on from Hayden, so that is where I antcipate Thronton playing.

I really like the idea ofhaving another solid veteran in the secondary, especially if we draft Jalen Ramsey.

If Weddle can play at a good level for another 2-3 years that is

They have Weddle and Carroll planned to visit. Also have dinner later with Thronton. With the McClain signing, it is nice to know they can just draft the best players without having glaring holes.

Still need a Mincey replacment (Ware?), and hope Dunbar comes back at a reasonable price. Fucking Chip...

Duke and Manchester United play important games at the same time this afternoon.

What will I be doing?

Watching Panthers QB not pick up the ball on an endless loop, crying while thinking to myself what could have been. :(

The correct answer is probably nothing, given that even if he recovers that fumble it would have been like 4th and 13 inside their own 20 and the way that game is going, Oher lets him get strip-sacked again on the next play anyway, but I can dream damnit

Duke and Manchester United play important games at the same time this afternoon.

What will I be doing?

Watching Panthers QB not pick up the ball on an endless loop, crying while thinking to myself what could have been. :(

The correct answer is probably nothing, given that even if he recovers that fumble it would have been like 4th and 13 inside their own 20 and the way that game is going, Oher lets him get strip-sacked again on the next play anyway, but I can dream damnit

Broken leg/arm/foot forcing him to leave the game early, take a definite L anyway, and causing him to be questionable for Week 1

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Your Raptors will make the playoffs and the Blue Jays should be good so your summer is looking up!

Those Leafs tho....

At least expected though. There were no promises going into this season other then there would be pain and sure enough here it is.

Might not even get the top pick and while it would suck I can deal with that. They have a plan and are going forward with it.

The Browns have a plan despite how terrible this all looks and for once it looks like Jimmy H. is gonna let it run it's course at last.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
At least expected though. There were no promises going into this season other then there would be pain and sure enough here it is.

Might not even get the top pick and while it would suck I can deal with that. They have a plan and are going forward with it.

The Browns have a plan despite how terrible this all looks and for once it looks like Jimmy H. is gonna let it run it's course at last.

Yeah. So who will be the coach after Jimmy fires Hue after next season?

gutshot

Oh great. Another superhero movie released a trailer. Can't wait to hear all about it on Twitter and GAF for the next few days.

*yawn*

Brian McFarland
‏@RavensSalaryCap
Another restructure 4 Ravens, CB JimmySmith has reduced his $7M base salary to $1M. New Cap # = $5.1M. Creates $4.5M in add'l 2016 Cap space

Jeff ZrebiecVerified account
‏@jeffzrebiecsun
Between Yanda and Jimmy Smith restructures, Arrington pay cut, new Flacco deal, Ravens have opened more than $15 mill of cap space.

Ravens making cap space happen.

I'm sure Ozzie will do his normal thing of sitting out Free Agency until the last possible second.

Broken leg/arm/foot forcing him to leave the game early, take a definite L anyway, and causing him to be questionable for Week 1

Ehh, I'd take that chance if it meant sacrificing a regular season game.

I mean, I don't really, in my heart of hearts, blame...(gulp) Cam Newton for how that game went. Because at the end of the day, he can't block for himself, and he can't catch his own passes (shout out to Gisele).

And the team on the other side was pretty damn amazing.

And in general, I'll always side with the players when it comes to business decisions like that because at the end of the day, these cats are outchea literally killing themselves just for our entertainment. But I won't act like it wasn't a little bit disappointing to see a guy who has no trouble putting his body on the line normally

cam.0.gif

bail out at the biggest moment of the biggest game of his life certainly so far, and maybe ever, who knows, getting back there is not guaranteed.

Hindl

Reading that the Cowboys are indeed moving on from Hayden, so that is where I antcipate Thronton playing.

They have Weddle and Carroll planned to visit. Also have dinner later with Thronton. With the McClain signing, it is nice to know they can just draft the best players without having glaring holes.

Still need a Mincey replacment (Ware?), and hope Dunbar comes back at a reasonable price. Fucking Chip...

Yeah makes sense. Before the end of the season I thought we'd be keeping Thornton and shipping Curry, since he's a natural 4-3 DE. But with Schwartz coming in Thornton unfortunately became the odd man out. Still should be interesting see him going in as the 1 tech, since he usually lines up on the outside. Still I expect him to do well there

Hindl

They are on the brink. Almost made the playoffs last season.

Cousins is another one, although he got better, but he mostly beat scrub teams.

DC did the smart thing with Cousins. The tag is the smart move. Obviously I have a bias, but when I look at Cousins' actual play last year, I just see Nick Foles 2.0. Better to tag him and make him prove himself than risk giving him one of these big contracts

this_guy

DC did the smart thing with Cousins. The tag is the smart move. Obviously I have a bias, but when I look at Cousins' actual play last year, I just see Nick Foles 2.0. Better to tag him and make him prove himself than risk giving him one of these big contracts

Brock's contract is basically a 2 year contract if things don't work out. That's why Texans fans aren't upset about the contract.

Tom Penny

NFL and NBA free agency are opposite. Teams overpay for mediority day 1 in the NFL while in the NBA scrubs get overpaid after the
best players are gone because teams are stuck with a bunch of money.

Hindl

Brock's contract is basically a 2 year contract if things don't work out. That's why Texans fans aren't upset about the contract.

Yeah Bradford is basically a 1 year deal with a team option if he plays well. Texans tied a lot of money to Brock but good point, it's not going to be too bad to move on from. And they did have a bunch of cap space to use anyway

SonnyBoy

Cousins is another one, although he got better, but he mostly beat scrub teams.
True but I find it difficult to find fault in a team playing it's schedule. You can't help who you're scheduled to play.

To be fair, everyone had them winning 3 games at most this season. So when they win more, it's hard for me to discredit it fully. 3/4 of the league is somewhere between trash and being average. So beating "scrub teams" encompasses a lot of the league.

Top Bottom