• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

effzee

Savage thinks the deal goes down tomorrow

http://gioandjones.radio.cbssports....s-traded-tomorrow/?cid=twitter_CBSSportsRadio

Edit: Or Friday, per his tweet

Phil Savage ‏@SeniorBowlPhil 4h4 hours ago
.@CBSSportsRadio Or Friday.

He says 50/50 and even then seems to think it will happen as a matter of opinion not really reporting anything.

Sure if a team wows the Eagles with a 2nd round pick or something they deem "enough" they might but again they already lost out on the $11m to Bradford and would be essentially messing up their own plan to compete this year while Wentz sits and learns.

You trade Sam and you guarantee that the whole city will be calling for Wentz when they are 1-6 mid way through the season.

effzee

So am I, and I brought the 3 QBs thing up in the Draft thread. I have high hopes for him, I'm just not sure he'll be ready this year. 2017 I'm all in though. I could see starting him late in the year when we're eliminated from the playoffs too I guess.

Here's a pretty good article breaking down all of Wentz's strengths and flaws. I just am not sure everything can be fixed in one season, but there's plenty to be hopeful about here:

http://nflbreakdowns.com/scouting-report-carson-wentz-nfldraft2016/

I just really don't want him to start too early

I think at some point, especially if the Eagles are terrible and out of the playoffs, they will need to get Wentz onto the field just to get him some playing time and to see him in live action.

DMczaf

When you know your team is dead

ChGGavvUcAA4wq4.jpg:large

Hindl

I think at some point, especially if the Eagles are terrible and out of the playoffs, they will need to get Wentz onto the field just to get him some playing time and to see him in live action.

Yeah, I'm fine just punting completely on 2016, but I guess once the games are meaningless I could see him getting trotted out.

gutshot

Not sure if it was talked about in here or not, but Schefter floated the idea of the Broncos offering a 4th and a player. Philly beats speculating the player may be Bradley Roby, whom Roseman really liked going into the '14 draft and would have been the pick over Marcus Smith had Chip not taken Roby off the board.

I would actually be OK with that deal.

Godslay

Banned
Not sure if it was talked about in here or not, but Schefter floated the idea of the Broncos offering a 4th and a player. Philly beats speculating the player may be Bradley Roby, whom Roseman really liked going into the '14 draft and would have been the pick over Marcus Smith had Chip not taken Roby off the board.

I would actually be OK with that deal.

Don't know how legit he is, but a contrast without a player.

Matt Lombardo:
I know @AdamSchefter speculated a pick & player for Bradford. Don't be surprised if it's multiple mid-late rounders, from what I'm gathering

effzee

Matt Lombardo:
I know @AdamSchefter speculated a pick & player for Bradford. Don't be surprised if it's multiple mid-late rounders, from what I'm gathering

Wow that would be terrible.

Howie has already said on record the talent in this draft is in the top 10. Then he said he didn't think any day 2 players in this class were worth keeping picks for (in regards to moving up for the #2 overall) and now he will settle for mid round late picks while also paying Sam 11m?

Howie got played.

Matt Lombardo:
You mean it's not a 1st?

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Did Elway not see how well Bradford played in the last half of the last season
of the first six years of his career
?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Some final thoughts on the Steelers positioning in the draft.

Pittsburgh can really use 4 new starters on defense, NT, OLB, SS, CB. They also need some depth pretty much everywhere on the defense.

Colbert has said that he wants a nose tackle that can play in sub packages (nickel) situations and get after the passer. Even though the overall defensive line depth of the draft is great, that only really leaves three prospects. Andrew Billings, Vernon Butler and Javon Hargrave. I expect all of them to be gone before the Steelers third round pick.

At the outside linebacker spot, the class is deficient. There's only one guy who really fits the Steelers. Noah Spence. He's a first rounder, for sure. I guess Kamalei Correa could be a developmental guy, but I expect him to be drafted way too high because of the lack of prospects.

Strong safety is a deep position for this draft. My man crush on Karl Joseph is known, but the Steelers could conceivably wait until the 3rd or 4th round and address the position and not experience a massive drop off in talent. Jeremy Cash, KJ Dillon and Darian Thompson are all great prospects.

Corner also has a large pool of prospects, though not as large as the defensive line or safety. Again, a position that can be addressed later without a significant drop off. Eric Murray, Tavon Young and Jonathan Jones could all be third day steals.

All of that being said, if the Steelers want a perfect draft with four future starters, they'll go something like: 1. Spence 2. Hargrave 3. Cash 4. Jones. I seriously doubt this will happen and I'm sure the yinzers would lose their shit, but in terms of taking an overhead view of the draft, it'd be perfect.

DMczaf

Best Raven of all time

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/steve-smith-autism-girl-prom-date

smieth.jpg

It’s pretty hard not to crack a smile for this story.

Earlier this year 18-year-old Aubrey Bridges saw a video of Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith dancing and thought, naturally, that he’d make for a great prom date. Through WBTV’s “Molly’s Kids” program, Smith heard about Bridges’ story and asked her to prom — an invitation she duly accepted.

Bridges is autistic and has a rare circulation disorder known as vein of Galen Malformation, but with Smith on her arm, she arrived at the prom in a massive stretch hummer limousine and was later in the night elected prom queen. Smith also surprised her with diamond earrings and a necklace, according to WBTV.

Godslay

Banned
Elway is importing both of Philly's garbage QBs from last season?

In this case, either guy is likely an upgrade to the play we had last year.

You mean it's not a 1st?

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Did Elway not see how well Bradford played in the last half of the last season
of the first six years of his career
?

Never was much of a fan of Bradford. Yet here we are. I'm just excited to get someone serviceable. Sanchez ceiling is serviceable, where as Sam has a ceiling to be decent if not good.

Still would rather have Kaep for some reason.

effzee

Yeah I think he's gonna take a beating in the Denver media but ultimately that city believes he's a demigod.

Well they did just come off a SB win and Peyton retired so he has some freedom and equity to do what he wants.

But I don't get why he is so eager for a vet when he has Sanchez and could draft a rookie to rebuild.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
In this case, either guy is likely an upgrade to the play we had last year.

Never was much of a fan of Bradford. Yet here we are. I'm just excited to get someone serviceable. Sanchez ceiling is serviceable, where as Sam has a ceiling to be decent if not good.

Still would rather have Kaep for some reason.

I don't think Bradford is much of an upgrade, if at all.

I'd rather have Kaep too.

Godslay

Banned
I don't think Bradford is much of an upgrade, if at all.

I'd rather have Kaep too.

Bradford and Brock had similar stats last year if you project Brock out.

That would be good enough for another run if the defense holds up.

Kaep gives the offense a turbo charge, but he also comes with his own issues. Either way, I'd be fine.

Some final thoughts on the Steelers positioning in the draft.

Pittsburgh can really use 4 new starters on defense, NT, OLB, SS, CB. They also need some depth pretty much everywhere on the defense.

Colbert has said that he wants a nose tackle that can play in sub packages (nickel) situations and get after the passer. Even though the overall defensive line depth of the draft is great, that only really leaves three prospects. Andrew Billings, Vernon Butler and Javon Hargrave. I expect all of them to be gone before the Steelers third round pick.

At the outside linebacker spot, the class is deficient. There's only one guy who really fits the Steelers. Noah Spence. He's a first rounder, for sure. I guess Kamalei Correa could be a developmental guy, but I expect him to be drafted way too high because of the lack of prospects.

Strong safety is a deep position for this draft. My man crush on Karl Joseph is known, but the Steelers could conceivably wait until the 3rd or 4th round and address the position and not experience a massive drop off in talent. Jeremy Cash, KJ Dillon and Darian Thompson are all great prospects.

Corner also has a large pool of prospects, though not as large as the defensive line or safety. Again, a position that can be addressed later without a significant drop off. Eric Murray, Tavon Young and Jonathan Jones could all be third day steals.

All of that being said, if the Steelers want a perfect draft with four future starters, they'll go something like: 1. Spence 2. Hargrave 3. Cash 4. Jones. I seriously doubt this will happen and I'm sure the yinzers would lose their shit, but in terms of taking an overhead view of the draft, it'd be perfect.

Let me just start by saying you've really been on fire this draft season Chuck. Glad you're around, you're the only reason I really know anything about these guys this year, just didn't have it in me.

As for the draft, i'm preparing for disappointment. There just doesn't seem to be a slam dunk guy that will fall to the Steelers like years past. I feel many of the guys mocked to the Steelers are either rubbish for the position (I'm biased against first round corners, especially for a predominantly zone defense team. Sorry, I just am), impossible (no WAY Spence gets drafted after all the Steelers headaches with Martavis) or overdrafted (Billings, Joseph.)I can't shake this being like the Jarvis draft - hindsight is not going to look favorably on this year for any team.Even the safe offensive lineman picks are slim.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Let me just start by saying you've really been on fire this draft season Chuck. Glad you're around, you're the only reason I really know anything about these guys this year, just didn't have it in me.

As for the draft, i'm preparing for disappointment. There just doesn't seem to be a slam dunk guy that will fall to the Steelers like years past. I feel many of the guys mocked to the Steelers are either rubbish for the position (I'm biased against first round corners, especially for a predominantly zone defense team. Sorry, I just am), impossible (no WAY Spence gets drafted after all the Steelers headaches with Martavis) or overdrafted (Billings, Joseph.)I can't shake this being like the Jarvis draft - hindsight is not going to look favorably on this year for any team.Even the safe offensive lineman picks are slim.

Thanks, bro.

I think the teams that will look back at this draft fondly are 4-3 based teams that stock up on d-linemen. Can easily get two starters this year.

Honestly, I expect the Steelers to reach for a cornerback in the first, who'll then spend the entire year playing special teams. I'm hoping someone tumbles in the draft, even if they don't fit. Like Lawson in our mock or maybe everyone is afraid of Myles Jack's knee or something.

cashman

Banned
Sorry guys, I've been busy over the past few weeks finishing up college, but I'm done now and will be here to spoil picks tomorrow.

Barring something utterly stupid or drafting a WR/RB, the Lions can't really disappoint me tomorrow night. I want to go OL or DL, preferably Taylor Decker or Shaq Lawson if they're available. But I won't be mad if we take the best LB available or most other defensive positions given the holes on the team.

If Decker, Lawson, Conklin, and the Louisiana DT are gone by 16...I'd be fine with trading down. This is Bob Quin's first draft, I think he's going to do well. My biggest problem with Mayhew was the obsession with throwing the draft board out the window and trading up to pick sub par or average players. Let the draft come to you and trust your damn board. It's time to build the trenches. This is a deep draft, it'll be hard to screw it up.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I have no idea how Bradford keeps getting interest.

Denver may as well trade for Chad Henne. That's his level.

With the defense the Broncos have you could put Chad Henne or Sam Bradford under center and they'd still be Super Bowl contenders.

Look at the success Mark Sanchez had riding that Rex Ryan, Revis defense the Jets had.

Top Bottom