• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fox318

They might become watchable if they keep getting rid of the overpaid blowhards. Berman has got to be next.

Except they don't really cover sports as a whole.

Shit look at how they treat hockey.

That Islanders-Lighting Game last night should have been the lead story because of how crazy the end was.

Hindl

So the Broncos offered Bradley Rody and a 4th for Bradford and Howie turned it down. WTF? Howie is like the guy drowning in the ocean and someone offers him a rope but he turns it down because it is to rough. He has made such a mess of the QB position this year and a team actually came along and offered him something to help fix the mess and he turned it down. Lurie should fire him if Bradford is still an Eagle this year.

It's speculation no one has confirmed that

bfAx3GS.png

Check out this scientific, non-biased chart

7sCOo2v.png

BigAT

They might become watchable if they keep getting rid of the overpaid blowhards. Berman has got to be next.

There is no justice in the world.

Richard DeitschVerified ‏@richarddeitsch
From a reliable source: Fox Sports is paying Skip Bayless in neighborhood of $5.5 million per for four years, plus a $4M signing bonus.

Hindl

I know I avoided the thread's offseason awfulness, but at what point did Yankee turn on Bradford and want him gone?

He didn't turn on Bradford he just hates Howie and looks for any chance to rake him over the coals. Although everyone is in agreement that Bradford needs to go due to how things have played out, whether you actually like him as a QB or not.

Fantomex

David Carr was on NFLN this morning and sounded like a pretentious unfunny douchenozzle. Even his laugh was all fake. He went against the grain and said the Rams would take Wentz. Never realized how unlikable he is. Sorry you had to go through that Mech. I'm still trying to figure out why they invited him to join the pre-draft table, might as well invite Akili Smith and Andre Ware too.

which linebacker are we drafting in the first round steeler fans?

I'm with Chuck & Deacon on this one. If someone like Lawson falls to us (or Jack) we will probably grab him. Seems like Apple isn't a good fit, but maybe Jackson III at CB. We have Gay and Cockrell, and Goldson is coming back from injury. So I'm not sure we need to grab a CB in the 1st round.

We're obviously waiting to see how things fall this weekend before we decide on Jarvis Jones's 5th year option. We need a stud behind Harrison and Jones hasn't been it. Timmons is also expensive and could be a cap casualty. I expect us to grab a LB, but maybe not in the 1st.

The problem is whether there's anyone at 25 who will be a starter... would love to see someone who is considered top 15 fall to us (like DeCastro), but I'm just not terribly hyped that we're going to get a difference-maker where we are.

effzee

There is no justice in the world.

Richard DeitschVerified ‏@richarddeitsch
From a reliable source: Fox Sports is paying Skip Bayless in neighborhood of $5.5 million per for four years, plus a $4M signing bonus.

So how long til ESPN fades away?

That Islanders-Lighting Game last night should have been the lead story because of how crazy the end was.

What I always find comical and confusing about these conversations is that the people who complain the most about ESPN or their day time programming (mainly First Take) could simply you know not watch it? Its at 10am. I doubt most of us are home or free to watch it.

And the other fact is that obviously enough people watch it - meaning ratings dictate the show topics, style, and salaries of the hosts. If people are watching and enjoying FT its because they like sports debate shows. Its like Sports Radio but on tv. People enjoy it more than just news breaks or score updates cause everyone now gets those updates on their phones or computers.

So ESPN had to change what is broadcasts. You want better personalities? Better journalism? Its SPORTS! Not some hard hitting Nobel prize winning journalism topic. They argue the sports, personalities, and topics which drive the most ratings. When I used to be at home due to a generous work schedule I'd leave FT on in the background for noise and just cause there is nothing on TV at that time that I find interesting.

Why FT or its hosts bother people so much I don't get. ESPN can't just run Sportscenter highlights all day long. And they can't show Hockey cause again ratings dictates what leads or is spent time on.

Talon

What I always find comical and confusing about these conversations is that the people who complain the most about ESPN or their day time programming (mainly First Take) could simply you know not watch it? Its at 10am. I doubt most of us are home or free to watch it.

And the other fact is that obviously enough people watch it - meaning ratings dictate the show topics, style, and salaries of the hosts. If people are watching and enjoying FT its because they like sports debate shows. Its like Sports Radio but on tv. People enjoy it more than just news breaks or score updates cause everyone now gets those updates on their phones or computers.

So ESPN had to change what is broadcasts. You want better personalities? Better journalism? Its SPORTS! Not some hard hitting Nobel prize winning journalism topic. They argue the sports, personalities, and topics which drive the most ratings. When I used to be at home due to a generous work schedule I'd leave FT on in the background for noise and just cause there is nothing on TV at that time that I find interesting.

Why FT or its hosts bother people so much I don't get. ESPN can't just run Sportscenter highlights all day long. And they can't show Hockey cause again ratings dictates what leads or is spent time on.
Hot takes have ruined sports coverage. You can't get through Sportscenter without some retired jackass butting in between highlights and dropping some pointless hot takes.

We all miss the old days where Anchors were the only people on-set.

effzee

Hot takes have ruined sports coverage. You can't get through Sportscenter without some retired jackass butting in between highlights and dropping some pointless hot takes.

We all miss the old days where Anchors were the only people on-set.

My point is they had to. You can see highlights on websites and get updates on scores, breaking news, and whatever else with team sites, league sites, push notifications, and social media breaking news faster than TV.

Its how ESPN still get's viewers, not why people turn away. If it wasn't working, they would have changed format a long time ago.

mr2xxx

Banned
Rumors of microfracture surgery for Miles Jack, damn that sucks for him and he'll definitely slide in the draft if true. Could be BS since it's close to the draft but every team will due their due diligence when it comes to medical though.

Also how has Clowney recovered from his microsurgery?

Rumors of microfracture surgery for Miles Jack, damn that sucks for him and he'll definitely slide in the draft if true. Could be BS since it's close to the draft but every team will due their due diligence when it comes to medical though.

Wasn't it Jack himself who indicated he might need the surgery? I think it was Mech who commented on this yesterday, indicated that it's 12-18 month recovery, and that Clowney really only started to look like he'd gotten back in the last half of the season.

MechDX

Didnt start showing signs of his burst coming back until 2nd half of last season. It is a 12-18 months recovery to get back to close to healthy. From what I read players usually dont get back to a full 100%

80% of freakish athletes like Clowney or Jack is still better than the majority of players

Hindl

He pretty much admitted that he'll need it. The question is when he gets it. I thought I heard some thoughts that he might be able to play on the knee for a little before the surgery is required, but it seems like the better move to take him, redshirt him and have him immediately get the surgery, and then recover. Putting him out there to play a few games only to have him then miss a year seems way worse than just getting the surgery upfront and then starting his career uninterrupted after that.

gutshot

If we're going to lock this thread, could we do it soon? This whole following draft conversations in two different threads is confusing.

MechDX

I would rather we didnt close this thread. The other one becomes a mess and cant really discuss picks.

I will be on Twitter either way tauinting Trejo when the Dolphins trade picks for Zeke

I would rather we didnt close this thread. The other one becomes a mess and cant really discuss picks.

I will be on Twitter either way tauinting Trejo when the Dolphins trade picks for Zeke

I'll be at Buffalo Wild Wings drowning myself in beer, don't waste your time too much.

MechDX

http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/2016/04/27/braxton-miller-i-would-like-the-texans/

A lot of NFL prospects will tell you that they don’t care which NFL team they go to; they just want to get drafted. And almost none of them say – at least not publicly – specifically where they want to play.

Braxton Miller is not most prospects. He doesn’t know where he’ll get drafted, but he won’t be upset if he ends up in Texas.

Houston, to be exact.

“A team I do like is the Texans,” Miller said on CBS Sports Radio’s The Doug Gottlieb Show. “I do like them. I’ve played against Bill O’Brien before and he’s a good coach. He knows how I am as a player. We got history together, man. Big Ten days.”

Oh man.....

The NHL wouldn't hold hands with them, so they try to remove just about all talk of it from their broadcasts.

Top Bottom