• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RBH

ChJTawxVEAA_3KO.jpg

Mark Davis and David Beckham in Las Vegas

Duxxy3

I think Pats fans truly believe that they were long-suffering (like Cubs or Browns fans) and that once they won they'd get some cred in the world and people would be like, "well they sucked for so long so it's ok they've finally won one." I mean, if the Cubs ever win another WS, I suspect there will be plenty of people (not rivals) who will be ok with them winning.

Provided, that is, that they don't cheat.

See, the world completely believes the Pats cheated. So none of that "awwww, shucks, it's ok you won finally!" never happened.

And Simmons--and some other Pats fans--don't know how to deal with it.

I remember back to 80's and 90's. I loved my team, but I thought of them as a joke just like the Bucs at that time. Long suffering? Nah. I vaguely remember the Superbowl with the '85 bears. We had no business even being in the same building as that team.

The organization was a joke. The stadium was shit. The owner was awful. The coaches just as bad. There was no long suffering feeling around the patriots. They just sucked and everybody in the area knew it.

Kraft made the Patriots a legit club. It was a new team at that point. People felt differently after Kraft took ownership. A couple years later we were in the superbowl again, and 5 years after that we won one. That's not long suffering.

It's going to be funny tomorrow at Philly's press conference when most of the questions will be about the QB controversy they created. Usually those things are all nice and fluffy, but Howie has turned theirs into a probable circus
It is going to be such a train wreck. Every question is going to be about Bradford and the Philly media definitely seem to be sharpening their knives for it. Listening to the radio and the local podcasts the last few days there has been so much negativity around all this and Howie 100% caused it.

MechDX

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16s16 seconds ago
Sources: #Bama LB Reggie Ragland was flagged for an enlarged aorta, which requires yearly monitoring. Some teams have pushed him down a bit

And some team pushing Ragland down.

I remember back to 80's and 90's. I loved my team, but I thought of them as a joke just like the Bucs at that time. Long suffering? Nah. I vaguely remember the Superbowl with the '85 bears. We had no business even being in the same building as that team.

The organization was a joke. The stadium was shit. The owner was awful. The coaches just as bad. There was no long suffering feeling around the patriots. They just sucked and everybody in the area knew it.

Kraft made the Patriots a legit club. It was a new team at that point. People felt differently after Kraft took ownership. A couple years later we were in the superbowl again, and 5 years after that we won one. That's not long suffering.

Well, long-suffering in the sense that until Bill video-taped the other team's walkthroughs they hadn't won anything. Ever.

Maybe not as long as the Lions, and maybe no one to make us suffer as much as kas, but still...

RBH

It’s been widely reported that Mike Tirico will be joining NBC and calling Thursday Night Football this season. According to the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson, his partner will be Sunday Night Football analyst Cris Collinsworth:

At the NFL owners meetings in Boca Raton last month, NBC Sports chairman Mark Lazarus told me that Michaels and Cris Collinsworth, who call the network’s Sunday night games, “were both concerned about the added workload. It’s a full time job to do one game a week. It’s not just adding a three-hour broadcast. It’s a substantial amount of work. Nobody raised their hand and said I really want to do double the workload. They were all team players and understand the importance to the company.”

Lazarus said one of the two announcers had more concerns than the other — he declined to say which one — but it apparently was Michaels, who’s 71. Collinsworth will do the entire Thursday and Sunday packages.

Collinsworth has called Thursday Night Football before, during the first three years of the package on NFL Network from 2006-2008, then when John Madden retired from NBC, he took over as analyst on SNF in 2009. Now Colllinsworth will double up as the color man on NBC’s half of TNF which will begin in Week 9, November 3 with Atlanta at Tampa which will air on NFL Network.

NBC’s first Thursday Night game to air on the Peacock will be in Week 11 when New Orleans visits Carolina.

Here’s the schedule which Tirico and Collinsworth will call except for the Christmas afternoon game as Collinsworth will be on the night game with Al Michaels:

-Week 9: Thursday, November 3 (NFL Network)
Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

-Week 10: Thursday, November 10 (NFL Network)
Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens

-Week 11: Thursday, November 17 (NBC/NFL Network/Twitter)
New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers

-Week 13: Thursday, December 1 (NBC/NFL Network/Twitter)
Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings

-Week 14: Thursday, December 8 (NBC/NFL Network/Twitter)
Oakland Raiders @ Kansas City Chiefs

-Week 15: Thursday, December 15 (NBC/NFL Network/Twitter)
Los Angeles Rams @ Seattle Seahawks

-Week 15: Saturday, December 17 (NFL Network)
Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets

-Week 16: Thursday, December 22 (NBC/NFL Network/Twitter)
New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles

-Week 16: Sunday, December 25 (NFL Network)
Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers

So our NBC TNF team apparently will be Mike Tirico, Cris Collinsworth and a sideline reporter who has yet to be named.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/cri...call-thursday-night-football-with-mike-tirico

squicken

It is going to be such a train wreck. Every question is going to be about Bradford and the Philly media definitely seem to be sharpening their knives for it. Listening to the radio and the local podcasts the last few days there has been so much negativity around all this and Howie 100% caused it.

And if he makes the trade now, then they address it briefly and move on to Wentz. As it stands now, no one is going to ask those fluff questions to Wentz. It's all going to be about how uncomfortable the QB room will be. Most questions will be for Howie and Doug and they will get grilled. Can't wait! They made this mess and hopefully for Eagles fans Lurie is paying attention

Fantomex

Laker friend you trying to cross the line dissing Mexican food? You just haven't found great Mexican food yet.

Friend, he lives near Santa Ana. He has tried all things. But mind you, he comes from a country where they proudly eat Tarantulas.

Friend pls, I've had just about every kind of Messican food after dating one for 6 years. Its just trash. They kept pushing pozole and menudo upon me when I was hungover, fuck that trash, pho is way better. Mole poblano is pretty damn good though.

You literally have no taste.

You're breaking my heart. Ceviche, Abondiga soup, sopes. Not good?

Ceviche is so good.

I don't know if I could survive a whole day with MRSA...

That's a quote made popular by MRSA's father.

bigosc2k

Banned
Friend pls, I've had just about every kind of Messican food after dating one for 6 years. Its just trash. They kept pushing pozole and menudo upon me when I was hungover, fuck that trash, pho is way better. Mole poblano is pretty damn good though.

Probably the family of the girl you dated are probably garbage at cooking food.

Horseshit. Bradford caused it when he threw a hissy fit. They've told him he's the starter, they paid him like a starter, and have given no indication that he wouldn't be the starter this year. He knew, like anyone with half a brain, that it was a short term deal. If he'd just sucked it up and said "I'm going to prove on the field that I am the starter and should be for the foreseeable future" no one in the media would even be talking about it. He just needs to shut up, show up, and ball out. Nothing is going to sour a person in the eyes of Philly fans faster than whining about your circumstances.

Take it from the young kid Kenjon Barner, when Elliott was speculated to be the pick:

"if you’re a true competitor, you don’t run from competition."

THAT is how Bradford should be reacting. Like a leader. Not throwing a public fit about the circumstance. Frankly I think he owes an apology to his teammates.

Edit: I'm also sick of the "the draft picks would have helped Bradford" argument. Draft picks aren't about the now, they are about the future. You don't draft people and expect high production out of them year one. THat's a rarity. The last two drafts have been flukes in this regard when it comes to wide receivers. Usually it takes at least two years for guys to make a real impact after drafting. Anyone banking on the 2016 draft class to have helped Bradford is full of it.

We've gone from everyone and their mother mocking VH3 to us. To everyone and their father mocking Floyd to us. Hopefully the Bucs can surprise me, wouldn't be crazy about either pick.

Anyone want to trade up? If we could fall back a few spots and grab Rankins, Doctson, Spence, or Conklin that'd be awesome.

The point is that the draft picks could have helped, not that they would have helped. Howie was making those picks, so odds were low of them working out but trading a bunch of a QB definitely did have a negative impact on the teams chances this year. Sam is 100% in the right.

Godslay

Banned
It's Jason Cole who is notoriously hit or miss, but here we go...

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the 49ers and Broncos have discussed a deal that would send Kaepernick and the 49ers’ second-round pick to Denver in exchange for the Broncos’ first-round pick, 31st overall

The point is that the draft picks could have helped, not that they would have helped. Howie was making those picks, so odds were low of them working out but trading a bunch of a QB definitely did have a negative impact on the teams chances this year. Sam is 100% in the right.

How does a first round pick of a cornerback help Bradford?

Stopping the other team from scoring helps the team, and by extension the QB, win games.

Gotcha, so Bradford needs the defense to bail him out? You are reaching here. This draft would have done next to nothing to help Bradford.

Signing two veteran free agent offensive lineman, and two veteran free agent wide receivers might help Bradford though. Of course we'll just ignore that. Even assuming we picked a OT, you think he'd start over Johnson or Peters this year? I doubt it.

Brinbe

Wentz will handle the Philly media bullshit just fine. He's a smart and mature kid and he'll say the right things.

Anyway, just trade Bradford and be done with it. So we're out some money/capspace, it won't kill us. Play Daniels for a year and bring along Wentz like we did Don. It'll be fine. Just so much needless bitching and moaning, which is par for the course when it comes to the Philly sports media and the Eagles.

Top Bottom