• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RBH

Hot takes have ruined sports coverage. You can't get through Sportscenter without some retired jackass butting in between highlights and dropping some pointless hot takes.

We all miss the old days where Anchors were the only people on-set.

What are you hoping for in tonight's Draft for our ketchup-loving Falcons?

MechDX

Bill SimmonsVerified account
‏@BillSimmons
My dream for tonight's Draft: Belichick rushes the podium after pick 31 and picks "Fuck You Goodell, quarterback, Fuck Off University."

Meanwhile, in Vegas.

ChJC4fYU0AAd_EK.jpg

ItsHappening.gif
Florio did his mock draft today. And when it got to the raiders pick he called them the Las Vegas raiders and he said that they would be moving there.

Eleuin

Last second ramblings on the Packers

ILB is obviously the position most of the fanbase is clamoring for. If Reggie Ragland is available but ted passes on him for someone else expect to see hot takes galore (not me this time).
If he does so in favor of a DLineman however, then it was good choice; looking at the depth chart shows how incredibly thin they are at the position
Cg_UMjoWwAMM-93.jpg:large

There's Mike Daniels, good but suspended 4 games NT Mike Pennell, 2 JAGS (Guion & Boyd) and 2 season inactives (Ringo & McBryde).
The draft has been touted for its depth but for a 3-4 team with needs at NT and DE it looks grim for the good prospects to drop to the bottom of the 2nd round if they pass in the 1st.
It would nice to see a double dip on the DLine like with CB last year but knowing the packer's luck they'll be left with the most mediocre of the bunch.

The Packers have to prepare for the possible departure of G starters next season and also need depth at OT so Jason Spriggs and Le'Raven Clark (what a name) have been linked. If Decker falls that far I think they seriously consider him too.

WR has also been a weird pick I've seen mocked. Rodgers shares a lot of the blame for his poor play but the whole system fell apart without Nelson. Cobb was disappointing but Davante Adams had one of the worst season I've ever seen at the position, he was absolutely abysmal.
With the depth behind them relatively unknown or mediocre I could see the reasoning behind a Treadwell pick but they have much more pressing needs. Idk maybe Jordy was the real MVP and everything will be fine with him back.

Finally at ILB the class gives off a big meh. I think I'm at peace with Ragland but I can't get excited for a 2 down thumper. Even if the speed guy Darron Lee fell, I wouldn't be excited as the guy is not even half the player Shazier is, just meh at everything.

RBH

The Oakland Raiders' potential move to Las Vegas has been a hot topic this week, with a report that owner Mark Davis is willing to move the team if he can get a stadium built near the strip.

However, there remains one big obstacle to any plans for relocation: league approval.

The NFL blocked the Raiders from moving back to LA last year and has said it would like them to remain in Oakland, while the team continues to explore other markets.

Roger Goodell joined Colin Cowherd on "The Herd" on Wednesday and reiterated his support for keeping the Raiders in Oakland, while addressing the question of whether the NFL is ready to have a team in Vegas.

"We don't have a proposal," Goodell said. "Ultimately that is a decision of the ownership. There are owners who will feel very strongly about continuing to support our position on gambling, there will be owners that will have the view of whether that's the best market for us to be in, whether there's truly the fan support there, they'll look at obviously the stadium alternatives, and I think that's what you do in any relocation."
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-las-vegas-roger-goodell-042716

Godslay

Banned
All I can picture is Brady walking in Kings Landing naked, with Roger as the High Sparrow and Luck ringing the bell and calling him a sinner.

Giants...

Gary Myers ‏@garymyersNYDN 20m20 minutes ago
Now I'm hearing NYG will for sure go for best OT on board at No. 10 and that looks like Jack Conklin. Want OT over LB Leonard Floyd.

It's Myers though so take it with a grain of salt.

Also on Tunsil, one scout did not have nice things to say.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/28/stay-away-giants-scouts-scathing-take-on-once-no-1-pick/

A precipitous drop is not expected, but if Tunsil starts to fall, should the Giants, sitting at No. 10, try to move up a slot or two to land him?

No, no, a thousand times no, says a prominent NFL scout.

“He’s the one everybody – I shouldn’t say everybody – you talk to people in the league they’re not as high on him as these clowns on their computers in their basements who maybe watched one game on YouTube and think they know the answers,’’ Dan Shonka, general manager and national scout for Ourlads’ NFL Scouting Services, told The Post.

“He can’t block people crossing his face, he’s technique poor. Here’s how stupid people are. They say ‘He had a great workout at the combine.’ Well, he didn’t do anything at the combine but on the field drills. He was fresh. All the other guys went through real rigorous, the 40s, the vertical, the long jump, they did all that, everything, and he didn’t do crap and some of these clowns out there say ‘Well, he had a great workout.’ Well, all those other guys would have had great workouts too if they weren’t so tired.’’

Tunsil, a 6-5, 310-pound lineman, allowed only two sacks in his 29 games at Ole Miss. He has missed time with injuries and, in 2015, was suspended seven games by the NCAA for receiving improper benefits.

“I’m not a Tunsil guy,’’ Shonka said. “I’ve watched too much film on him. I broke down 15 games for a team on Stanley and he was clearly the better of the two, because he’s a football player. If you want “Dancing with the Stars” then go take Tunsil.

“I’d stay away from Tunsil, I think he’s got ‘bust’ written all over him. He’s always hurt and he goes out and runs drills good and some of these people go gaga. You can’t get intoxicated by a workout. The next time he finishes a block will be the first time.’’

jbug617

Banned
Rapsheet says Myles Jack will probably fall out of the top 10 however he has teams interested in him in the teens. Mentions Dolphins and Raiders.

MRSA

Banned
Laker friend you trying to cross the line dissing Mexican food? You just haven't good great Mexican food yet.

Friend pls, I've had just about every kind of Messican food after dating one for 6 years. Its just trash. They kept pushing pozole and menudo upon me when I was hungover, fuck that trash, pho is way better. Mole poblano is pretty damn good though.

I'll be too busy at the bar drinking Not Your PopPop's...Ginger Ale (TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE) and preparing myself for Views to watch the draft.

I'm sure Getts will make a totally boring, not-exciting pick for like a defensive tackle who turns into another All-Pro in 3 years. No biggie

Bill SimmonsVerified account
‏@BillSimmons
My dream for tonight's Draft: Belichick rushes the podium after pick 31 and picks "Fuck You Goodell, quarterback, Fuck Off University."

I used to be able to read some of Simmons's stuff and considered him funny for a while, but he really let his fandom leak all over his writing so now he's just unreadable/unwatchable.

Farooq

Banned
All I ask for in draft: PLS no nkemdiche or Ifedi

Yes, let Nkemdiche drop to 34. Don't care if Dallas' defensive line looks like this.

RedFlags.0.jpg

That one game they play together will be so good.

Just hope I don't have to read "Cowboy's defensive lineman mauled by pet panther."

Graziano backed him up fwiw.

His article after Helmet Catch was by far his best article of all time.

He was at his best when he could play the long-suffering fan of Boston teams that sucked horrible ass. He really didn't know how to handle the Sox and Bruins winning championships. He clearly has no idea how to handle the Pats being a bunch of lying, cheating cunts.

Draxal

He was at his best when he could play the long-suffering fan of Boston teams that sucked horrible ass. He really didn't know how to handle the Sox and Bruins winning championships. He clearly has no idea how to handle the Pats being a bunch of lying, cheating cunts.

Bingo, imagine what Kave would be like once the Browns or Maple Leafs actually win something.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
A comprehensive list of reported Detroit Lions' pre-draft visits, prospect workouts

Some names-

Offensive Line:

Jake Conklin- Michigan State
Taylor Decker- Ohio State
Germain Ifedi - Texas AM

Defensive Line:

Jarran Reed- Alabama
A'Shawn Robinson- Alabama
Shaq Lawson - Clemson
Kevin Dodd- Clemson
Vernon Butler - Louisiana Tech
Emmanuel Ogbah - Oklahoma State

Linebackers:

Su'a Cravens - USC
Deion Jones - LSU
Jordan Jenkins - Georgia

Quarterbacks:

Cody Kessler - USC
Josh Woodrum - Liberty
Jake Rudock - Michigan

Wide Reciever

Jay Lee - Baylor
Corey Coleman - Baylor

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/04/2016_pre-draft_visit_list.html

I didn't list any DBs and most of the OLine and DLine.

Interestingly enough LaQuon Treadwell is not on the list nor is Sheldon Rankins and a few other players. I don't think Rankins will be available at #16 unfortunately.

I think we go Taylor Decker or best OLine with pick #16 and pick Emmanuel Ogbah in the 2nd.

Or Jarran Reed or best defensive lineman available at #16 and Germain Ifedi in the 2nd round.

If all four of the top tackles are taken by #16 I think we're trading down.

And yes, we will be using one of our 10 picks on a Quarterback to groom under Stafford and then trade two or three years down the line.

Yes, let Nkemdiche drop to 34. Don't care if Dallas' defensive line looks like this.

RedFlags.0.jpg

That one game they play together will be so good.

Just hope I don't have to read "Cowboy's defensive lineman mauled by pet panther."

:jnc

Graziano backed him up fwiw.
As did Vachiano.

Giants fans are funny. Throwing shit fits about the possibility of Floyd. Now shit fits are being thrown about Conklin being the possible pick. (REACH!!!)

......yeah.

EDIT: Why I relax during the first round:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/04/why_giants_fans_should_have_confidence_in_gm_jerry.html

After documenting the Giants mid-to-late round struggles earlier this year, it was only fair to look into their perceived success in the early rounds. So I calculated the disaster rate of first-round picks from 2007-14 of all 32 NFL teams and the Giants were tied for sixth-lowest rate. Only running back David Wilson (2012), defensive lineman Marvin Austin (2011) and linebacker Clint Sintim (2009) were, in retrospect, truly regrettable picks.

It's the latter half of day two and day three that makes me squirm.

MechDX

Some buzz the Texans would take Ryan Kelly, center from Alabama if drops to 22.

I wouldnt be mad at all but the casual Texans fan base would lose their fucking minds

Bingo, imagine what Kave would be like once the Browns or Maple Leafs actually win something.

I think Pats fans truly believe that they were long-suffering (like Cubs or Browns fans) and that once they won they'd get some cred in the world and people would be like, "well they sucked for so long so it's ok they've finally won one." I mean, if the Cubs ever win another WS, I suspect there will be plenty of people (not rivals) who will be ok with them winning.

Provided, that is, that they don't cheat.

See, the world completely believes the Pats cheated. So none of that "awwww, shucks, it's ok you won finally!" never happened.

And Simmons--and some other Pats fans--don't know how to deal with it.

Bowser

I'll be too busy at the bar drinking Not Your PopPop's...Ginger Ale (TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE) and preparing myself for Views to watch the draft.

I'm sure Getts will make a totally boring, not-exciting pick for like a defensive tackle who turns into another All-Pro in 3 years. No biggie

People "in the know" believe CAR's draft board looks like:

1. Coleman, WR, Baylor
2. Butler, DL, La Tech
3. H. Henry, TE, Arkansas
4. Ogbah, DE, Okla State
5. D. Henry, RB, Alabama

Bowser

Pretty unorthodox draft board, but that's Getts (apparently we would "sprint to the podium" if Coleman was still available at 30, but no one expects him to be).

I laugh at all these pundits slotting a CB or OT at 30 because Norman's gone or Remmers and Oher got worked in the SB. That's never been Gett's style.

squicken

It's going to be funny tomorrow at Philly's press conference when most of the questions will be about the QB controversy they created. Usually those things are all nice and fluffy, but Howie has turned theirs into a probable circus

Top Bottom