• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't want to get into it again but Clowney isn't a bust. Last season was essentially his rookie season and he was still recovering from his injury. His run defense was top 3 in the league at OLB. I have faith he will get the pass rush down this year. Vrabel has done a hell of a job with all our linebackers.

A bust would be Omobi Okoye. That was a bust

Shouldn't pick choices be weighted by who you passed up on, and position in the draft?

Don't want to get into it again but Clowney isn't a bust. Last season was essentially his rookie season and he was still recovering from his injury. His run defense was top 3 in the league at OLB. I have faith he will get the pass rush down this year. Vrabel has done a hell of a job with all our linebackers.

A bust would be Omobi Okoye. That was a bust

Pretty sure he still had more sacks in his first month than Clowney has in his career.

Godslay

Banned
Pretty sure he still had more sacks in his first month than Clowney has in his career.

Mack had more sacks in 1 game than Clowney has had in his career.

I think Clowney can still be good though. He's the ultimate freak athlete pick, not so much a great football player, at least yet anyways.

MRSA

Banned
Mack had more sacks in 1 game than Clowney has had in his career.

I think Clowney can still be good though. He's the ultimate freak athlete pick, not so much a great football player, at least yet anyways.

Mack is still the better football player. Mack is the exact opposite of who Al Davis woulda drafted. Clowney would be a Davis pick.

MechDX

Shouldn't pick choices be weighted by who you passed up on, and position in the draft?

Wouldn't that decision be made with a hindsight bias? When the Jags drafted Gabbert over Watt is a prime example. Watt was even considered the best pick at 11 in that draft, Fairley was. It's how that player performs for that team.

Sexy stats. Just ignore the rest

As mentioned in my first response without hindsight, Clowney was the #1 overall pick in 2014 no matter what team was picking at 1. I made my pick in that mock based on fact Smith never takes the obvious pick.

You should only do this when disrespecting others in this thread, I don't really like it as a legit type of analysis. Too much goes into whether a player succeeds or not, locker room atmosphere, scheme, chemistry with team mates, coaching etc. There are Hall of Famers who might have been just average or worse if they had played elsewhere.

Wes

venison crêpe
Three Predictions/Guesses:

- Browns trade down twice today.
- Three teams wont make a pick today.
- The last pick of round 1 will be be a quarterback.

Mack is still the better football player. Mack is the exact opposite of who Al Davis woulda drafted. Clowney would be a Davis pick.

I was just about to post this. Clowney is a textbook Al Davis pick. The Raiders really have turned the corner with drafting. I said for years they'd never turn it around until Davis passed on.

A local radio guy that usually has a good pulse on the Cards thinks we'd go for Nkemdiche if he's available when we pick. Him or the obvious Ryan Kelly. Nkemdiche looks like a beast and he just made sport science nerds cream themselves but I worry about his maturity. You have Noah Spence showing remorse while Nkemdiche tries to buy himself a panther. He actually reminds me of Dockett in a lot of ways but as goofy and off the wall decisions as Dockett could make off the field, he was always a consummate professional on it and a strong, emotional presence in the locker room. It just feels so risky to gamble on a kid with that type of personality. You just don't know how he'll handle himself as a professional and being that he's already pretty boneheaded off the field...weighing this against his skill set and potential impact is why the GMs get that pay check. At least if we took him it'd be at 29, not the blow it would be to use a top ten and have him suspend his way out of the league.

Godslay

Banned

I agree.

You can tell Mack is more developed than Clowney is at this point.

Clowney has a higher ceiling than Mack, but he also has a lower floor. Problem is, will Clowney ever realize that potential? Or catch up to Mack? I'm not sure.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
i

Twins.

MRSA

Banned
I agree.

You can tell Mack is more developed than Clowney is at this point.

Clowney has a higher ceiling than Mack, but he also has a lower floor. Problem is, will Clowney ever realize that potential? Or catch up to Mack? I'm not sure.

Mack also has a relentless motor, the guy goes 100% on every play. Clowney from his college days and possibly even in his pro says fuck it when he knows he's not going to make a play.

They're both great against the run but the difference is Clowney uses his athleticism against the run while Mack uses his power and moves against blockers. Mack isn't going to speed around a blocker like Clowney, he'll bull rush the lineman into the RB.

rando14

I don't like that BG is just calling david beckham "David" like he's on a first-name basis with him... he better put some respec on his name :\

Godslay

Banned
Mack also has a relentless motor, the guy goes 100% on every play. Clowney from his college days and possibly even in his pro says fuck it when he knows he's not going to make a play.

They're both great against the run but the difference is Clowney uses his athleticism against the run while Mack uses his power and moves against blockers. Mack isn't going to speed around a blocker like Clowney, he'll bull rush the lineman into the RB.

If you asked me today who I would start, it would be Mack.

If you gave me Clowney and a couple years with Bill Kollar? I think it would be a more difficult decision between the two. Reason being a good coach is going to maximize that talent.

As far as his attitude, a good coach will know how to eliminate a player dogging it on plays.

In other news, I hope that either Stokley or this guy is wrong:

#Broncos are"very high" on quarterback Paxton Lynch via @JamesPalmerTV

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Re: draft busts

I always figured guys were evaluated based on where they were picked. Would I call Clowney a bust? No, because then the word "bust" loses all meaning because you'd need a new word to describe Jamarcus Russell and Tony Mandarich.

Is Clowney a disappointment? That's a different question that I'd consider valid. I think it's too early to say that but given his level of play, he's anything other than a bust.

Mark Davis seems like an awesome guy in reality though. After I read that article about his day to day lifestyle that was posted here a while back, it completely changed my perspective on him. He's like a "blue collar" NFL owner if there was such a thing.

MechDX

Re: draft busts

I always figured guys were evaluated based on where they were picked. Would I call Clowney a bust? No, because then the word "bust" loses all meaning because you'd need a new word to describe Jamarcus Russell and Tony Mandarich.

Is Clowney a disappointment? That's a different question that I'd consider valid. I think it's too early to say that but given his level of play, he's anything other than a bust.

I think its fair to call Wienke a multi teamer now. Welcome to the family

So do I keep the Ashton avatar for the draft in hopes it brings the HAwks luck and they get a stud o lineman or do I switch out?

Top Bottom