• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crisco

Banned
I just love that Gettleman does not give a fuck about mock drafts or what outside analysts think the team needs. We're a run first team with an aggressive front seven that makes your QB play like shit so dudes like Captain Munnerlyn and Josh Norman get paid. Butler was probably the best realistic option at 30, in fact I don't think anyone in our front office believed he'd be available there.

Godslay

Banned
I largely agree with you, I just think for such a relatively low cost, and with a team coming off a superbowl win and maybe looking to defend the title, having a slightly better QB at a relatively low cost could mean that little edge they need. Of course, defending championships in this league is next to impossible.

But really I just want something for the wasted cap space.

Two 2nds in my mind is a high price to pay.

Sam would be an improvement over Sanchez more than likely. Is it worth an additional $2M and two high picks for what could amount to a year or two rental? Would you see the cost of Bradford reflect in numbers that are leagues beyond Sanchez? I'm not so sure.

If you go cheap, get improved production over last year, and have Sanchez be a low bar for your new QB to leap over that's a net win especially if you hold on to cash and picks to reload your team when that new QB is ready.

I want to win now like everyone, but I do like that Elway takes a win from now on stance and plans accordingly. Will it work out? I'm hopeful.

MechDX

ChOVFiaWIAEHa79.jpg:large

Here come the "gas mask on anything Dolphins related" meme

squicken

I want to win now like everyone, but I do like that Elway takes a win from now on stance and plans accordingly. Will it work out? I'm hopeful.

Sanchez has lost the locker room in both NY and PHI. His arm isn't all that better than Noodle's. Elway isn't going to just hand him the job. He's going to try and add another QB.

Two 2nds in my mind is a high price to pay.

Sam would be an improvement over Sanchez more than likely. Is it worth an additional $2M and two high picks for what could amount to a year or two rental? Would you see the cost of Bradford reflect in numbers that are leagues beyond Sanchez? I'm not so sure.

If you go cheap, get improved production over last year, and have Sanchez be a low bar for your new QB to leap over that's a net win especially if you hold on to cash and picks to reload your team when that new QB is ready.

It is hard to say since they would both be in a new system but I will say that Sam was infinitely better then buttfumble last year. Buttfumble came into a game against the fins, in which Bradford had given the eagles the lead, and he could move the ball at all until the final drive. He then threw a pick when they were in position for a game winning fg. He was absolutely terrible against both the lions and bucs, neither were greats d's by the way.

Godslay

Banned
Sanchez has lost the locker room in both NY and PHI. His arm isn't all that better than Noodle's. Elway isn't going to just hand him the job. He's going to try and add another QB.

Sure, they'll all compete. I can also see another vet coming.

I think Sanchez will win the job. Not because he's necessarily the best QB. He's the safest QB to start with. You'll work in Lynch as the season wears on and I think at some point Lynch should take over. Unless he has set backs or is just garbage.

Really though, if a vet QB starts for Denver next year he'll just be a banner for the QBOTF to burst through eventually.

It is hard to say since they would both be in a new system but I will say that Sam was infinitely better then buttfumble last year. Buttfumble came into a game against the fins, in which Bradford had given the eagles the lead, and he could move the ball at all until the final drive. He then threw a pick when they were in position for a game winning fg. He was absolutely terrible against both the lions and bucs, neither were greats d's by the way.

I would have been fine for Bradford for like a 3rd-5th rounder. Philly would have never done that. There was too much cash sunk into him to not want compensation for that.

He still would have been a placeholder. Unless he played like dynamite, which I don't think he would have long term.

Extensive scouting report on Eli Apple.

http://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.co...elcomes-eli-apple-to-the-big-blue-family.html

Teams were very leery to fire the ball into Apple’s territory in 2015. However, he impressed scouts with his outstanding coverage skills, as he not only defended nine passes (including one interception), but only 14-of-67 passes targeted in his area were completed (20.9%). He delivered twenty third-down stops, three more on fourth-down snaps. Proving to be one of the most physical cornerbacks in college, he jammed/rerouted his main pass coverage assignments away from 38 incomplete passes last season, the second-highest total in the NCAA FBS ranks.

Apple is a good student of the game who puts in extra hours in the film room to study his opponents. He is very capable of handling the mental aspect of the game, demonstrating Ike Taylor-like (former Steeler) skills for his ability to scan the field and find the pigskin in flight. His knowledge of every secondary position could see him bring immediate value as a nickel back at the next level, but with the way he plays in run support along with fluid moves in his retreat playing in the zone, he could also provide quality production as a free safety/nickel back in sub packages, as he has more than enough range to play safety and is capable of making the coverage call and checks.

More at the link.

I really wish the Eagles gad taken a 3rs for Sam. I think he could have won a SB with the Broncos. He was much better then Payton last year.

For a starting QB? No. You have to remember the Eagles would be eating 11M as well.

They'd arent losing 11M and Bradford for just some mid round pick.

Then they're keeping him. Because they aren't getting more. Because Bradford sucks and everyone said they were out of their minds for paying him that much, especially if he wasn't guaranteed to start both years.

We told you for months this wasn't having a happy ending.

For a starting QB? No. You have to remember the Eagles would be eating 11M as well.

They'd arent losing 11M and Bradford for just some mid round pick.

Pretty sure at this point they're not losing Bradford at all. No one wants him, not for the price being asked. Howie got himself into this mess by trying to cover his bases. I would anticipate that no one in the Eagles' FO thought they could rope themselves into one of the top two picks at the point they signed Bradford.

Once they were able to get that 2nd overall, it became clear they have too much tied up into too many QBs. Yes, they'd rather sit Wentz and have Bradford play for a season. If you're Bradford (who is only 28 years old after all), you want to play the next 8-10 years somewhere as "The Guy."

But he's not The Guy and he's learning he's not The Guy and I bet it stings that he's not The Guy, because someone who is The Guy would be getting more attention on the trade market and better offers than the Eagles are getting.

I don't doubt someone is going to scoop him up next year. But it's likely going to be in a backup role for backup money or in a situation where he gets backup money to compete with another scrub until that team finds The Guy.

Pepiope

Then they're keeping him. Because they aren't getting more. Because Bradford sucks and everyone said they were out of their minds for paying him that much, especially if he wasn't guaranteed to start both years.

We told you for months this wasn't having a happy ending.
I think at this point he gets dealt. With everything that's happened I can't see him sticking around, the asking price will just be lowered.

Bitanator

Noah Spence to Dallas if we trade up with Cleveland is the only smart thing, unless we want Billings. I would toss my head through the TV if we get somebody like Dodd when he would have fell to us anyways, but I think somebody really wants Spence, he is too talented

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Unless I'm missing something, Myles Jack is basically getting drafted for the money to have major knee surgery and would miss his entire first season right? I guess he could kick the can down the road but he'll have to miss an entire season at some point....getting a surgery that is not 100% guaranteed.

If that's true, how is he worth more than maybe a 4th round pick?

Except they aren't. Even Bradford haters can admit he's a better QB than Sanchez, and the birds didn't even ask for a 1st. They wanted 2 2nds, and they'd more than likely be low 2nd rounders. The upgrade at QB is worth it, especially for a team a QB away from repeating as champs.

How can you say that with a straight face? Has Bradford done any of the following:

• Gone to the playoffs?
  • Won in the playoffs?
  • Gone to a conference championship game?

Bradford has NEVER been on a team that won more than 8 games. For a "franchise QB", that's beyond pathetic.

The great thing about a good quarterback is that they can hang around on a roster for long enough to be on some winning football teams. Bradford has been in the league for six years and hasn't done that.

A franchise quarterback, wins games with garbage on the roster. What you are doing is grossly underestimating the true worth of a franchise quarterback. Bradford is a low grade starter at best but would most likely find a paycheck as a perennial back up.

Bradford is the kind of guy you start if you are happy filling a stadium while your team stumbles to 7 or 8 wins per year.

Mark Sanchez is not a franchise quarterback. He's not even a particularly good quarterback. But he has been on a team that won 11 games and went to the AFC Championship, another that won 9 and went to the AFC Championship game, both times beating Tom Brady in the process. He has been on those teams along as being firmly Bradford-esque in his other two seasons with the Jets, while stumbling his way to 7 or 8 wins while fans filled the stadium.

It will be interesting to see, if they're both on the board and the Steelers lean DB again, whether we go with Vonn Bell over Su'a Cravens. The latter has been working out with Polamalu and that may carry some weight. I've also seen Cravens as an LB... so maybe his versatility helps a bit.

Paging Chuck and Deacon... Bell? Cravens? Chuck's boy Hargrave (DT) would also still be available according to this mock. I might lean more toward improving the line rather than grabbing yet another DB.

MechDX

Unless I'm missing something, Myles Jack is basically getting drafted for the money to have major knee surgery and would miss his entire first season right? I guess he could kick the can down the road but he'll have to miss an entire season at some point....getting a surgery that is not 100% guaranteed.

Exactly. I see him dropping until the 5th or so.

If some team take him before that you may as well just give the pick to the Browns so they can have all of the picks

I almost forgot he was still on team. Wow.
I'm pretty sure his last one year suspension ends any day now. I'm super curious to see what's going to happen with him. My guess, he won't even ask to be reinstated and won't be in football shape at all. Just seems like a guy who doesn't care about football.

Ireland's legacy summed up in one player.

Farooq

Banned
Noah Spence to Dallas if we trade up with Cleveland is the only smart thing, unless we want Billings. I would toss my head through the TV if we get somebody like Dodd when he would have fell to us anyways, but I think somebody really wants Spence, he is too talented

If Dallas trades up for an unathletic pass rusher, it will confirm this FO is filled with a bunch of idiots.

That feeling that you get when your team drafts a player that has low odds to contribute...not fucking good. Spence has an athletic profile of busts, athleticism matters for edge rushers.

Not to mention giving up picks as well, which is the last thing any team should be doing.

Edit: I should be clear. Spence has average athleticism for the position. But he fails to meet certain thresholds for successful pass rushers. The pass rushers who do meet the thresholds are rare and get taken quickly. However do you want to take a risk on a player that odds say he probably won't contribute much?

Just because you have a need at pass rush, doesn't mean you need force a pick. And just because your eyes tell you a player is great at the college level doesn't mean his talent will translate to the pros especially if he doesn't have the pre-requisite athleticism.

MRSA

Banned

I would take him or Jalen Smith in the 5 th

What??!?!? The Lions have like 18 pro bowlers on D! Kas told me that, and Kas knows what he's talking about. That D is stacked as fuck! I'm surprised Buttfumble didn't turn the ball over outta fear every time he touched the ball.

You take that back, yankee. You take that back.

Narag

Thought I read he had draft insurance that could payout big the farther he falls.

SinES3c.png

How can you say that with a straight face? Has Bradford done any of the following:

• Gone to the playoffs?
  • Won in the playoffs?
  • Gone to a conference championship game?

Bradford has NEVER been on a team that won more than 8 games. For a "franchise QB", that's beyond pathetic.

The great thing about a good quarterback is that they can hang around on a roster for long enough to be on some winning football teams. Bradford has been in the league for six years and hasn't done that.

A franchise quarterback, wins games with garbage on the roster. What you are doing is grossly underestimating the true worth of a franchise quarterback. Bradford is a low grade starter at best but would most likely find a paycheck as a perennial back up.

Bradford is the kind of guy you start if you are happy filling a stadium while your team stumbles to 7 or 8 wins per year.

Mark Sanchez is not a franchise quarterback. He's not even a particularly good quarterback. But he has been on a team that won 11 games and went to the AFC Championship, another that won 9 and went to the AFC Championship game, both times beating Tom Brady in the process. He has been on those teams along as being firmly Bradford-esque in his other two seasons with the Jets, while stumbling his way to 7 or 8 wins while fans filled the stadium.

This is actually maybe mayyyyyyybe the only point I'd consider agreeing with him on, really. Currently, if I had to choose, I might take a healthy Sam over Sanchez. That said, 1) he's never healthy, 2) ideally I'd take neither, 3) neither have been good or won anything in years, 4) Bradford's never won anything, and 5) you're fucked anyway if you're in a position where you have to take one.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It will be interesting to see, if they're both on the board and the Steelers lean DB again, whether we go with Vonn Bell over Su'a Cravens. The latter has been working out with Polamalu and that may carry some weight. I've also seen Cravens as an LB... so maybe his versatility helps a bit.

Paging Chuck and Deacon... Bell? Cravens? Chuck's boy Hargrave (DT) would also still be available according to this mock. I might lean more toward improving the line rather than grabbing yet another DB.

Braxton Miller!

I'd stay away from Cravens as a safety. I'd be good with Bell, but not over the moon. I want Jeremy Cash in the third. Still a ton of quality sarety prospects available. I'm sure the Steelers will come through on the rest of this draft.
please

Top Bottom