• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
So fucking stoked about Spence.

So fucking pissed about Aguayo.

If we had grabbed Von Bell there instead it would have been a great draft, instead I have to watch play for the fucking Saints for the next decade.

This kid better never miss a kick.

Duxxy3

Other than Cyrus Jones I'm not a fan of the patriots draft

Hopefully Bill proves us wrong, but I feel the same way. There was much better talent at every single position that they picked (other than a solid pick with jones).

There was no need to take a quarterback in the third round. Should have been 6th round at the earliest (Brissett might have been available in the 6th!!). I watched a few games of Brissett from last year and there isn't much of anything that I like. Slow delivery. Takes forever to make a decision. Bad throws down field.
I'm completely lost on this pick.

Hindl

Agree with ESPN guys that tomorrow should be the day many of the remaining QBs go.

Eagles of course missed out on so much talent but they do have 5 picks left. Hope they pick up solid depth for both lines, possibly a change of pace speedy RB, and depth for the secondary.

There was some good talent we could've gotten (Braxton, Kenneth Dixon) but Seumalo was a good pick. He's versatile and can back up Kelce while competing for a spot at LG. Like you said, I want 5th round to be a RB and a LB or DT

Hey, it's not his fault the Bucs are ridiculous enough to spend a premium pick on a kicker.
I'm not even impressed with his 'highlights' he barely squeaks it through the uprights far too often, hardly ever splits them evenly.

Being 100% inside 40yds is way overplayed. Do you ever expect to miss from there in the NFL? He had a 52 yarder and didn't even have enough leg to REACH the goalpost!

He's been getting worse since his freshman year, I don't see anything that says 'once in a lifetime kicker'. drafting him, especially in the second fucking round is an awful move.

rando14

ChQyo_MUYAAxsv4.jpg

wtf apparently Vannett is a Mariners fan too?

How is this happening, no one is dumb enough to bandwagon my M's!!

Future. How is Sean Ryan at developing wide receivers? How good/bad a job did he do with OBJ and Cruz?

Cruz was already established and OBJ is a special talent. You improve the fundamentals and let him do his thing. I can't really say how much affect Ryan had on either to be honest. Coughlin spoke highly of him but he's the same guy that had Reuben Randle fucking up routes in year 3 but can you put that entirely on him? Randle just never gave enough of a shit. Our WR's had dropsies issues as well.

Not sure how much I helped there.

MechDX

Cruz was already established and OBJ is a special talent. You improve the fundamentals and let him do his thing. I can't really say how much affect Ryan had on either to be honest. Coughlin spoke highly of him but he's the same guy that had Reuben Randle fucking up routes in year 3 but can you put that entirely on him? Randle just never gave enough of a shit. Our WR's had dropsies issues as well.

Not sure how much I helped there.

Thanks for the reply. Right now he is either giggling like a school girl or scared shitless that he better not fuck this up

Thanks for the reply. Right now he is either giggling like a school girl or scared shitless that he better not fuck this up

I mean, I think your offensive coordinator is going to have a bigger role in establishing Miller's development. Ryan is going to execute the plan he's given based on how he's used in the offense at the end of the day.

MechDX

I mean, I think your offensive coordinator is going to have a bigger role in establishing Miller's development. Ryan is going to execute the plan he's given based on how he's used in the offense at the end of the day.

He has to play a pretty large role in their general development as receivers though. Footwork, route running, reading formations, etc...

Wow this Mackenzie Alexander is the real fucking deal isn't he?

I'm loving everything I'm reading...

I'm seeing some places had him ranked as high as 9th overall. How did he drop? His height? No ints (but he only got thrown to like 50 times all year?!)

Wow. I'm psyched.

MechDX

I really dont understand Billings dropping like he is. Guy was almost consistantly mocked a first rounder

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000658263/article/five-questions-heading-into-day-3

4. Why is Baylor defensive tackle Andrew Billings still on the board?
At No. 44 overall, Billings is Mayock's highest-rated player yet to be drafted. A knee injury has reportedly been ruled out. Has the NFL become such a pass-heavy league that pure 3-4 nose tackles are no longer valued as early-round options?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Gonna skip day 3. I hate pretending that any of those guys will amount to a huge amount long term when like 90% of them will be out of the league in 3 years or less.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I love love love the Lions draft so far.

Before the draft I said, and believe with my heart of hearts this is one of the most talented teams in the league and when firing on all cylinders can handidly beat any team in the NFL.

Before free agency and the draft I just wanted us to address depth in a couple of areas, mainly the trenches. Losing Megatron sucked but Bob Quinn immediately made moves signing Marvin Jones and Jeremy Kerley.

I believed before the draft we needed two Day 1 impact players in the draft to be Super Bowl contenders.

Taylor Decker and Graham Glasgow were great picks and exactly what we needed to fix our offensive line at our two weakest points in the season last year, Center and Tackle.

A'Shawn Robinson is the guy I'm most hyped about. Not only do I think he's a Day 1 starter I think people are downplaying his pass rushing ability. I'm still shocked he fell to us at #46 but he did the job he was supposed to in Nick Sabans defense. His job was to plug up the run game and let linebackers make plays.

Bottom Line: Hard to find an interior lineman with a more well-­proportioned frame than Robinson. His size and overall talent level will have NFL teams drooling and projecting him along any and all defensive fronts, but his film might leave them hungry for more.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ashawn-robinson?id=2555265

I can't find the article right now but A'Shawn Robinson essentially said his sack numbers were low because he did the job Nick Saban asked him to do at Alabama and that was to stuff the interior line.

Even then His strength will be as a run-defender, but as a true freshman he led Alabama with 5 ½ sacks.

A'Shawn Robinson is going to cause chaos in backfields in between Pro Bowlers, Ezekial Ansah and Haloti Ngata.

Quote me on this, he will be in play for Defensive Rookie of the Year. I don't think he'll actually get it but I think he's going to be starting and taking the majority of snaps by Week 3-4.

Tyrunn Walker impressed during the brief time he played last year but A'Shawn Robinson will be taking the majority of DT snaps along with Haloti Ngata, with Walker and other players rotating in.

Look at this roster on paper:

DE- Ziggy Ansah, Pro Bowl, Leader
DT- Haloti Ngata, Pro Bowl, Leader
DT- A'Shawn Robinson
DE- Devin Taylor, 7 sacks last year only improving

OLB- DeAndre Levy, One of the best Linebackers in the game, Leader
MLB- Tahir Whitehead, Leader
OLB- Josh Bynes

DB- Darius Slay, Shutdown corner
DB- Quandre Diggs, Outstanding rookie year last year

Safety- Glover Quin, Pro Bowler, Leader
Safety- Rafeal Bush

All being coached and plays being called by defensive wizard Teryl Austin.

The Lions defense will have a lot easier job along with pass rushing opportunities when our offense is dropping 30 points a game.

jamesbrownwow-gif.61

Before the draft I said, and believe with my heart of hearts this is one of the most talented teams in the league and when firing on all cylinders can handidly beat any team in the NFL.

Before free agency and the draft I just wanted us to address depth in a couple of areas, mainly the trenches. Losing Megatron sucked but Bob Quinn immediately made moves signing Marvin Jones and Jeremy Kerley.

I believed before the draft we needed two Day 1 impact players in the draft to be Super Bowl contenders.

Taylor Decker and Graham Glasgow were great picks and exactly what we needed to fix our offensive line at our two weakest points in the season last year, Center and Tackle.

A'Shawn Robinson is the guy I'm most hyped about. Not only do I think he's a Day 1 starter I think people are downplaying his pass rushing ability. I'm still shocked he fell to us at #46 but he did the job he was supposed to in Nick Sabans defense. His job was to plug up the run game and let linebackers make plays.

I can't find the article right now but A'Shawn Robinson essentially said his sack numbers were low because he did the job Nick Saban asked him to do at Alabama and that was to stuff the interior line.

Even then His strength will be as a run-defender, but as a true freshman he led Alabama with 5 ½ sacks.

A'Shawn Robinson is going to cause chaos in backfields in between Pro Bowlers, Ezekial Ansah and Haloti Ngata.

Quote me on this, he will be in play for Defensive Rookie of the Year. I don't think he'll actually get it but I think he's going to be starting and taking the majority of snaps by Week 3-4.

Tyrunn Walker impressed during the brief time he played last year but A'Shawn Robinson will be taking the majority of DT snaps along with Haloti Ngata, with Walker and other players rotating in.

The Lions defense will have a lot easier job along with pass rushing opportunities when our offense is dropping 30 points a game.

jamesbrownwow-gif.61
God damn dude.

LMAO

Wish I had your level of honerism so I could come to terms with Aguayo.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
God damn dude.

LMAO

Wish I had your level of honerism so I could come to terms with Aguayo.

Honestly, it's not fanboyism. If the Lions suck, we suck. We don't.

There have been a variety of factors as to why the Lions haven't lived up to the preseason hype that even the sports media has given us from 2011-2015.

Just look at our roster and look at how young, talented it is along with the number of Pro Bowlers and potential Pro Bowlers.

I'm about to go Gaming Side and start listing exclusives, console war style.

This team is no joke and the biggest and most important thing is we have the continuity of our coaching staff coming back one more year. I would not be this hyped if Bob Quinn had fired Coach Caldwell or DC Teryl Austin was not back for one more season before he inevitably becomes a Head Coach.

We have 7 picks tomorrow to only further solidify the roster and add more depth.

It all starts and ends with #9 though.

jamesbrownwow-gif.61

God bless you kas

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Not like most day 1 guys pan out either. That's why my overall give a shit about college and draft time is so low. Last group of guys I got hyped for coming out of college was Leinart, Vince Young, Reggie Bush and Michael Huff.

MechDX

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC6Of4aNwxq/

Damn he knew was going to be a Seahawk a whole month ago. LOL

http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/2016/04/27/braxton-miller-i-would-like-the-texans/

Braxton Miller is not most prospects. He doesn’t know where he’ll get drafted, but he won’t be upset if he ends up in Texas.

Houston, to be exact.

“A team I do like is the Texans,” Miller said on CBS Sports Radio’s The Doug Gottlieb Show. “I do like them. I’ve played against Bill O’Brien before and he’s a good coach. He knows how I am as a player. We got history together, man. Big Ten days.”

They want to play for our teams. We are truly blessed Western!

Farooq

Banned
Miles Killebrew is a good compliment to Byron. Did he visit the Browns? Thinking he is the pick for the Cowboys at 101.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So what's going to be the excuse when they still don't win a playoff game?

There is no excuse, IMO.

The Lions as a franchise have had to overcome many hurdles mentally. We're the "Lolions", the loveable losers.

Some hurdles like making the playoffs in 2011 for the first time since 1999 or last year beating the Packers at home for the first time since 1991.

Now it's "Megatron retired, the Lions are fucked, Barry Sanders all over again."

My only fear going into this season is the same fear that all fans of teams with franchise QBs have - that their franchise QB gets hurt. That's the game and Football Gods for forbid Stafford gets hurt but I believe this defense is good enough to get us to a 9-7 record and a Wild Card seed.

Wentz couldn't be stopped.

:jnc

I actually like the Wentz pick moreso than the Goff pick. Wentz came from a small school but a QB his size moving around the pocket with how he moves and plants his feet reminds me of Big Ben or Cam.

So we got Jeylon Smith and an interior pass rusher?

I just got home. I will be very interested in who has the better career: Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey or Jeylon Smith.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not like most day 1 guys pan out either. That's why my overall give a shit about college and draft time is so low. Last group of guys I got hyped for coming out of college was Leinart, Vince Young, Reggie Bush and Michael Huff.

We might not know who the winners are but we can all agree that the Jets are losers

Top Bottom