• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The importance of the draft has become way overstated. I was listening to the new Ringer NFL Podcast and the guy on there was saying that because the Cowboys drafted Elliot we wouldn't even be competitive in the division, where as if we had drafted Ramsey we would be Super Bowl contenders.

You can't go from being a terrible team one year to a great one the next, or vice versa, from the draft.

I really hope that guy isn't the regular co-host because I like Robert Mays.

He also said the Redskins were Super Bowl contenders.

Pepiope

The importance of the draft has become way overstated. I was listening to the new Ringer NFL Podcast and the guy on there was saying that because the Cowboys drafted Elliot we wouldn't even be competitive in the division, where as if we had drafted Ramsey we would be Super Bowl contenders.

You can't go from being a terrible team one year to a great one the next, or vice versa, from the draft.

I don't see Jones picking Elliot if he didn't think Dallas could make a SB run in the next couple years. Elliot was a luxury pick.

Who does Barnewell work for now? His days with Mays are over?

I agree with you 100%. I also think that the importance of free agency is way understated now. Especially in the last 5-10 years. If people don't look at the draft and free agency with almost an equal weighting anymore they are making a mistake. Problem is free agency is judged by who makes the biggest splashes and signs the biggest names rather than giving kudos to the teams that are getting the best value for their dollars.

Generally though I get annoyed by anyone who thinks one player is going to make a huge swing in success. It's a damn team sport.

manfestival

What kind of team drafts up to pick up a kicker in the second round?
ggradiant.gif

squicken

The biggest underrated aspect of football, to me, is coaching. Developing players. Leading them to do things no sane human would do to their bodies. It's why I fully agreed with Joe Banner when he fired Chud. Good coaches don't let everything fall apart. It's why I don't really think much of Jason Garrett or Gus Bradley. Too talented to lose so many games last year

e: For bionic, in memoriam

https://vine.co/v/ixZb2TVd2YF

Pepiope

The biggest underrated aspect of football, to me, is coaching. Developing players. Leading them to do things no sane human would do to their bodies. It's why I fully agreed with Joe Banner when he fired Chud. Good coaches don't let everything fall apart. It's why I don't really think much of Jason Garrett or Gus Bradley. Too talented to lose so many games last year

Garrett deserves a break for last year. You can't really fault him for a team giving up when the franchise QB goes down.

If there's one position that can make or break a team, it's QB.

What kind of team drafts up to pick up a kicker in the second round?
ggradiant.gif
A team that's a good kicker away from a Super Bowl!

Talon

Shush you. Players are just athleticism and awareness ratings, and they're completely transitive to every team they'd play on, regardless of scheme, reps, or snaps.

Bitanator

Garrett deserves a break for last year. You can't really fault him for a team giving up when the franchise QB goes down.

If there's one position that can make or break a team, it's QB.

A team that's a good kicker away from a Super Bowl!

I would not call Dallas effort last year a lack or trying, because we fought really damn hard, fault falls on there being an obvious lack of talent in the secondary and lack of depth at the linebacker position, cost us two overtime games, and of course the horrific play of Matt Cassel.

We did hold up a pretty good fight throughout last year, notwithstanding the embarrassment in the second half of the Falcons game, and the Panthers game, along with no way to keep up offensively with the Patriots and Packers, we did fight till the end.

Drakeon

I would not call Dallas effort last year a lack or trying, because we fought really damn hard, fault falls on there being an obvious lack of talent in the secondary and lack of depth at the linebacker position, cost us two overtime games, and of course the horrific play of Matt Cassel.

We did hold up a pretty good fight throughout last year, notwithstanding the embarrassment in the second half of the Falcons game, and the Panthers game, along with no way to keep up offensively with the Patriots and Packers, we did fight till the end.

Dallas's whole season last year was karma for them signing Greg Hardy.

Bitanator

Dallas's whole season last year was karma for them signing Greg Hardy.

A massive headache that should not have been allowed to stay all season, should have ran down to the nearest Walgreens and bought some HeadOn. The negative energy and attention he brought to the team all year was enough to cripple any team. Dallas needs a leader in the locker room, I think with more positive energy they can focus on what needs to be done. That and the law of averages won't be completely fucked for us like last year, I expect a bunch more turnovers, we were the unluckiest team last year, so many replays that overturned would be fumble recoveries.

Exactly.

Anyway, thoughts on the draft? Would like read your thoughts too Croc, Bit, Cash and anyone else from Cowboys-GAF.
Just when you think Jerry was slowly stepping back his fingerprints were all over this draft. Risky and all over the place. First they take Zeke and you get the feeling that they want to get Romo help and are in win now mode. Then they take Smith who won't contribute this year at all. Day three though I actually liked quite a bit, Tapper, Dak and Gathers in particular.

No numbnut media personality or idiot that works for WalterFootball or DraftExpress has any sense of how the teams actually evaluated a player.

"Reaches" are complete hypotheticals.

Worse than that, they're a way for some Monday morning GM to feel superior to the GM of a football team.

I wonder how many analysts are jizzing their pants at the Browns constantly trading down and accumulating picks. We all know the point of the draft isn't to get the best guys, it's to get the most guys with the lowest picks possible.

Farooq

Banned
Just when you think Jerry was slowly stepping back his fingerprints were all over this draft. Risky and all over the place. First they take Zeke and you get the feeling that they want to get Romo help and are in win now mode. Then they take Smith who won't contribute this year at all. Day three though I actually liked quite a bit, Tapper, Dak and Gathers in particular.

Yea, I get what you are saying. It is hard to think of an organizational philosophy that can marry the first two picks. Almost like they wanted the best of both worlds. They definitely tried to prepare for the future with Lynch, so I do think post-Romo is definitely an area they are trying to address.

The more I think about the Zeke pick, the more I am okay with it. I think Zeke will improve Romo's passing efficiency and the team lives and dies with Romo. I mean two collarbone breaks because the back fucks up in pass pro (2010 and Thanksgiving vs Panthers). That just can't happen. Not to mention the favorable looks from the run game and the pass catching ability of Zeke. He offers the most immediate bang for that pick. And an aging QB's best friend is a strong run game. It can get any stronger if Zeke pans out.

I am pretty stoked that Marinelli gets some new D-lineman to mold. Players with crazy get-off. The DT rotation has me fucking excited. Which reminds me, check out David Irving's teammate Rodney Coe. Just scrimmage film, but should give you an idea of his get-off as well. Link. Beat writers are suggesting he was a huge priority in free agency.

My intial impressions of draft have me optimistic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Also I was checking out draft grades and saw one where the Steelers got a B+. But seriously how does someone grade drafts? The Jets were given a B+ for their Hackenberg pick, and that's just insane.

Looking around, SF has gotten as high as an A- and as low as C-.

lol

I'll break down the Raiders draft and add a few of my opinions:

1(14) Karl Joseph (Safety, West Virginia): On the small side, but hits like a hammer and made plays all over the field at West Virginia. Raiders hope he is their Earl Thomas. Was off to a fantastic start to the 2015 season when he tore his ACL in a non contact drill after four games (Joseph is expected to be ready for training camp). While I really like Jospeh as a player, initially I thought it was a reach to take him at 14, but with Keanu Neal being taken a few picks later, that was likely not the case. Joseph fills a need and will be a day one starter.

2(13) Jihad Ward (DE/DT, Illinois): A very divisive pick. Some analysts had him as a late 1st/early 2nd projection, while others had him as a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's very raw, but is seen as an athletic specimen. Very little production while at Illinois. This pick reminds me a little of last years second round pick, Mario Edwards Jr. (an underproducer in college who can get coached-up and fits the scheme) I believe Ward fits best as a 3-4 defensive end, and based on many of the Raiders moves, I'd expect to see them running more 3-4. I'm not a fan of the Ward selection as I felt there were much better players available.

3(12) Shilique Calhoun (DE, Michigan State): Very productive at Michigan State as a pass rusher (27 sacks). Plays the run poorly, doesn't set the edge, often getting caught selling out pass rushing. Will be a situational pass rusher. I'm fine with the pick, thought he was or was close to the best player available

4(2) Connor Cook (QB, Michigan State): Reggie finally trades up and it's for Connor Cook? The Raiders are an improving team, but in my opinion they are not at the point where they can take a developmental QB while leaving guys available who can come in and contribute immediately (Booker, Dixon, Billings, Ervin, etc). I guess this is preparing for McGloin to leave after next season. I see this as Reggie's Packer roots showing, where they draft a developmental QB in the middle rounds every couple of years. The value is fine, I'm just not a fan of the pick. As for the player, Cook has all the arm talent, but his completion percentage was too low, and there are the obvious questions about his leadership ability. Barring injury, will likely be scratched every game this year

5(4) DeAndre Washington (RB, Texas Tech): Washington is a small, shifty back with a powerful lower body. Lots of production with the Red Raiders, but than again, everybody does coming from that system. I think the Raiders liked that Washington is used to running out of the shotgun, and caught a lot of balls out of the backfield. As for my opinion, I think the Raiders waited too long to address the running back position, and Washington dances around behind the line too much for my liking. Washington will get some touches as a 3rd down back

6(19) Corey James (LB, Colorado State): Used as an edge rusher on passing downs before being moved to middle linebacker during his senior season. Offers flexibility, Raiders apparently see him as a sam or will. Will need to prove his worth on special teams

7(13) Vadal Alexander (G, LSU): Good value pick IMO. Was seem as a 4th or 5th rounder many places. Massive frame, played guard for two years before being move to tackle. Powerful blocker who is not athletic enough to play tackle at the NFL level. Very slow, plodding, more of a road grader

Jarnet87

When I look back at the Bucs 2nd round picks in the last 10 years drafting a kicker aint so bad. Not when you have the likes of Brian Price, Arrelious Benn, Daquan Bowers, Dexter Jackson, Sabby Piscatelli. Austin Sefarian Jenkins (I think he sucks).

Not gonna do a player by player, but the Steelers did a lot to address their glaring back end problems. This draft loudly announces that the Steelers think they're close to a championship run. First three rounds addressed glaring needs - Secondary help, and a NT who can spell the starters as a DE. Tomlin's influence is really felt as all these guys are athletes. The corners have more potential than proven tape.

I've made no secret that i'm not a fan of early Corner picks but I appreciate that the Steelers went 1 2. Artie Burns has what the Steelers need - length, and playmaking potential. Davis will has played both corner and safety but will hit TC as a safety. Both guys are 6 foot plus - Steelers have had a lot of shrimps at corner the past few years, nice to finally get some length.

Javon Hargave is the star of the draft for me. I wanted Billings, but we got a guy with even more potential. A veritable sack machine. John Mitchell (Our Defensive Line coach) was gushing over him. He also mentioned that 3rd year guy Daniel McCullers was poised to do big things.

Rounds 4-7 are cake. We got a linebacker for ST play and a high effort LB (who will most likely be playing somewhere else next season), and a punt returner. Steelers have been chapped in the ass for a few years on Punt returners (Dri Archer, Chris Rainey) so we'll see with this guy, who has no name until he shows something. Also got an o-lineman in the 4th to compete with Adams and Harris. Adams really. This is likely Mike Adams last TC with us.

Striker

I also think you can knock the Giants a bit for losing out on two guys they wanted b/c the rest of the league knew their board. But then, I do like Eli Apple's mom
Losing out on Conklin stinks, but Floyd? Nah. Besides they got Goodson who will probably end up being a better fit in the scheme.

Heard one guy on the radio exclaim how the Jaylon Smith pick was alright because "how often do 2nd rounders pan out?", and noted how he'll (without a doubt, apparently) be a great player in a year or two.

After reading up on the Dolphins picks a bit I'm feeling slightly negative about the draft overall. Tunsil was fine and a risk that was absolutely worth taking but I am bummed that they drafted so many offensive players and ignored the glaring need at LB. I also hate that they traded away some 2017 picks just to move up for another 3rd round pick; it feels short-sighted and unnecessary.

I will say I love the 6th round pick, WR Jakeem Grant from Texas Tech. Dude is tiny but he plays like a maniac and seems to have a real passion for the game. He's like a smaller, even quicker version of Jarvis Landry. Pats fans would probably kill for a dude like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kYFzpxD-A

On a different note, I love Gase's idea for rookie minicamp: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...iling-a-radical-idea-for-rookie-minicamp.html
And they will not include actual practices on the field.

Instead Dolphins rookies will spend all their time during this minicamp in classroom sessions learning how to be Miami Dolphins. That means they're going to get schooled on the schemes they're playing, their assignments, and everything football that involves the brain.

But they're also going to get a little polished up as people. They're going to get life labs to help them with nutrition, financial planning, sports science, and dealing with the media -- the last of which is a big part of their job believe it or not.
Way too early to pass judgment on Gase but I like him a lot so far. He has a much stronger personality than Philbin and doesn't seem afraid to deal with guys who aren't 100% clean on the character side.

Yea, I get what you are saying. It is hard to think of an organizational philosophy that can marry the first two picks. Almost like they wanted the best of both worlds. They definitely tried to prepare for the future with Lynch, so I do think post-Romo is definitely an area they are trying to address.

The more I think about the Zeke pick, the more I am okay with it. I think Zeke will improve Romo's passing efficiency and the team lives and dies with Romo. I mean two collarbone breaks because the back fucks up in pass pro (2010 and Thanksgiving vs Panthers). That just can't happen. Not to mention the favorable looks from the run game and the pass catching ability of Zeke. He offers the most immediate bang for that pick. And an aging QB's best friend is a strong run game. It can get any stronger if Zeke pans out.

I am pretty stoked that Marinelli gets some new D-lineman to mold. Players with crazy get-off. The DT rotation has me fucking excited. Which reminds me, check out David Irving's teammate Rodney Coe. Just scrimmage film, but should give you an idea of his get-off as well. Link. Beat writers are suggesting he was a huge priority in free agency.

My intial impressions of draft have me optimistic.

The Zeke pick has also grown on me, although I still maintain we need more talent on defense to have a chance.

I liked our picks, the only one that left me really scratching my head was the second RB

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Not gonna do a player by player, but the Steelers did a lot to address their glaring back end problems. This draft loudly announces that the Steelers think they're close to a championship run. First three rounds addressed glaring needs - Secondary help, and a NT who can spell the starters as a DE. Tomlin's influence is really felt as all these guys are athletes. The corners have more potential than proven tape.

I've made no secret that i'm not a fan of early Corner picks but I appreciate that the Steelers went 1 2. Artie Burns has what the Steelers need - length, and playmaking potential. Davis will has played both corner and safety but will hit TC as a safety. Both guys are 6 foot plus - Steelers have had a lot of shrimps at corner the past few years, nice to finally get some length.

Javon Hargave is the star of the draft for me. I wanted Billings, but we got a guy with even more potential. A veritable sack machine. John Mitchell (Our Defensive Line coach) was gushing over him. He also mentioned that 3rd year guy Daniel McCullers was poised to do big things.

Rounds 4-7 are cake. We got a linebacker for ST play and a high effort LB (who will most likely be playing somewhere else next season), and a punt returner. Steelers have been chapped in the ass for a few years on Punt returners (Dri Archer, Chris Rainey) so we'll see with this guy, who has no name until he shows something. Also got an o-lineman in the 4th to compete with Adams and Harris. Adams really. This is likely Mike Adams last TC with us.

I'm not sure that I've seen Mitch so excited about a draft pick. He said something interesting in his presser; He said that Hargrave would be playing the 3 technique in base defense. Does this mean the Steelers are going to transition to a 4 man front? Did he misspeak?

e -

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib 7m7 minutes ago

Steelers make it official with announcement of 1-year deal with Bruce Gradkowski

After reading up on the Dolphins picks a bit I'm feeling slightly negative about the draft overall. Tunsil was fine and a risk that was absolutely worth taking but I am bummed that they drafted so many offensive players and ignored the glaring need at LB. I also hate that they traded away some 2017 picks just to move up for another 3rd round pick; it feels short-sighted and unnecessary.

I will say I love the 6th round pick, WR Jakeem Grant from Texas Tech. Dude is tiny but he plays like a maniac and seems to have a real passion for the game. He's like a smaller, even quicker version of Jarvis Landry. Pats fans would probably kill for a dude like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kYFzpxD-A

On a different note, I love Gase's idea for rookie minicamp: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...iling-a-radical-idea-for-rookie-minicamp.html

Way too early to pass judgment on Gase but I like him a lot so far. He has a much stronger personality than Philbin and doesn't seem afraid to deal with guys who aren't 100% clean on the character side.

We have to keep in mind that Miami wasn't going to fix all it's holes in one off season, the LBs in this draft weren't very good so I was always ok on leaving the lb core as is until next year, I think they went offense because Gase is an offensive guy and they wanted to give him all the tools he needs to help Tannehill. The offense is pretty much set now. I don't really agree with what they did though considering this class was deep on the defensive side. I guess for next year we'll need to look at DE,DT, LB and maybe CB. Let's be honest....this is another 6/7 win season and that's not Gases fault...this roster was just that awful last year.

We have to keep in mind that Miami wasn't going to fix all it's holes in one off season, the LBs in this draft weren't very good so I was always ok on leaving the lb core as is until next year, I think they went offense because Gase is an offensive guy and they wanted to give him all the tools he needs to help Tannehill. The offense is pretty much set now. I don't really agree with what they did though considering this class was deep on the defensive side. I guess for next year we'll need to look at DE,DT, LB and maybe CB. Let's be honest....this is another 6/7 win season and that's not Gases fault...this roster was just that awful last year.
Fair enough. I just hope a CB pans out for us, I'm still depressed from the Taylor/Davis experiments. :(

If Gase's system clicks the offense could be fun to watch this year. Lots of talent on that side of the ball and what should be a much improved o-line.

Fair enough. I just hope a CB pans out for us, I'm still depressed from the Taylor/Davis experiments. :(

If Gase's system clicks the offense could be fun to watch this year. Lots of talent on that side of the ball and what should be a much improved o-line.

Yeah that still stings...at least we got a 7th for taylor...lol I will say that I do like that this FO has selected players that are scheme fits. Maxwell, alonso, howerd, the offense are all players that the coaches have set plans for and run systems that take advantage of their talents and mask their weaknesses...so hopefully that means no more Wake dropping into coverage or Cameron staying in to block :/ the mismatches on offense should be a lot of fun to watch

Hindl

Though a different team, I'm also a little bummed we didn't do anything on D. All I heard leading up to the draft was about dline talent in this draft, and to walk away with almost none of it is disappointing. In the 7th/UDFA we got some pass rushers/secondary players, but in all likelihood they won't even make the team. I liked that we solidified the O Line, but I feel like it would've been better to get some of the defensive talent this year and use next years draft for the OL. Though for us I guess it's getting an OL together that has talent and give them a season to gel, so when Wentz starts they'll be able to keep him clean

dionysus

Yaldog
I agree with you 100%. I also think that the importance of free agency is way understated now. Especially in the last 5-10 years. If people don't look at the draft and free agency with almost an equal weighting anymore they are making a mistake. Problem is free agency is judged by who makes the biggest splashes and signs the biggest names rather than giving kudos to the teams that are getting the best value for their dollars.

Generally though I get annoyed by anyone who thinks one player is going to make a huge swing in success. It's a damn team sport.

Saints are great examples of how important free agency is to a team. Mess up there and you are in cap hell with nothing to show for it.

Top Bottom