• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Based on your tag I thought you would be thrilled!

giphy.gif

TheFatOne

The pats offense wasn't the same after Lewis went down. He was the perfect rb for the pats offense.

He was far far better than any of the other rbs they had.

That's because they played the matchup game with Lewis, and didn't have anyone else in the backfield that could do that. The Pats offense is much better when they have a legit pass catching threat out of the backfield. The good news is that they are pretty good at finding that guy. Need a backup for Lewis though just in case.

Duxxy3

And it was because he was a mismatch in the passing game not running the ball.

He's a dual threat. He can run the ball and catch the ball. The defense needs to account for both possibilities.

With Blount on the field you don't need to worry about the possibility of him catching the ball. With James White on the field you don't need to worry about him running the ball.

Dion took Shane Vereen's role on the offense. Vereen was huge in the super bowl. Without him I don't think we win that game.

I'm a fan of 3 down backs. Players that aren't one dimensional and easily accounted for. I think Bill is as well. He traded into the fifth round to pick up Dixon or Booker. But he played his hand too early and both were taken. He thought he could get Jonathan Williams with his sixth rounder, but lost on that one as well.

If, and this is a big if, Dion Lewis is healthy for the whole season, we are going to tear shit up.

Also not doing a player by player but a quick write-up on the Giants draft - it was a very un-Giants like draft and I've said as much before. No offensive or defensive lineman taken at all which was a surprise. Reese is generally a "build in the trenches" type of GM, especially on the defensive side of the ball but this was a needs draft and it showed through and through. I'm sure it was "best player available" but only in the sense that it was BPA at a position of need.

My view is a positive one. We addressed some significant holes on the roster. Call Apple a reach all you like but its very likely Miami would have taken him at 13 according to reports out there. The Giants have nothing at corner behind the two starters and one of them isn't getting any younger so while Conklin would have made feel better about the right side of the line, Apple has an opportunity to immediately start at the nickel for us and provide some serious help on the back end.

We picked up an excellent prospect at WR that will immediately get on the field and gives us big insurance in case Cruz isn't what he was. We addressed the FS position with a guy that could have gone in the 2nd round and should pair really nicely with Collins. We also addressed the LB, RB and TE positions with some late draft picks that will help us on special teams and may have the ability to end up contributing in other areas (Goodson in particular likely has the best shot at MLB).

Giants best pick: Sterling Shephard. Easily. If Cruz is actually healthy this year, this could be a potent offense with OBJ, Cruz and Shephard (along with Harris as a fourth WR).

Pick I most like: Paul Perkins. I've been watching some of his games over the past few days and I really really hope that this kid gets a chance in the RB rotation sooner rather than later. His ability to catch the football should make for a fun pair to watch if both he and Vereen are in the rotation.

Farooq

Banned
I'm not sure that I've seen Mitch so excited about a draft pick. He said something interesting in his presser; He said that Hargrave would be playing the 3 technique in base defense. Does this mean the Steelers are going to transition to a 4 man front? Did he misspeak?

e -

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib 7m7 minutes ago

Steelers make it official with announcement of 1-year deal with Bruce Gradkowski

My eyes told me he had the best get-off of the DTs in the draft. His jumps confirmed it. Steelers are putting him in the best position to use his explosiveness.

Edit: Look at his mockdraftable graph. Crazy.

jbug617

Banned
The Pats offense hasn't been the same since they got slammed for cheating again.

Last yr:

3rd in the NFL in points (29.1)
6th in yds per game (374.4)
5th in passing yds per game (286.7)

This while Gronk, Edelman, Amendola and Lewis missed multiple games last year. Also the Patriots O Line that was bad last year.

Lots of fifth year options getting picked up around the league, some not and some question marks:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Rams have yet to inform Tavon Austin whether they'll pick up fifth-year option, per source; it would cost them $12.2 million in 2017 salary.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m5 minutes ago
Eric Fisher improved enough in 2015 to get the Chiefs to exercise his fifth-year option

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 26m26 minutes ago
Jets pass on CB Dee Milliner's option, #asexpected

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1h1 hour ago
Ziggy Ansah has his 2017 option picked up

49ers pick up Eric Reid's fifth-year option

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1h1 hour ago View translation
Jets exercise 2017 option on Sheldon Richardson

Vikings reportedly pick up options on Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes (but maybe not Cordarrelle Patterson)

MechDX

PFF Draft ‏@PFF_College 22h22 hours ago
Houston Texans UDFA K Ka'imi Fairbairn missed just 1 of 32 attempts from inside 40 yards, over the past two seasons

We should have drafted him in the 2nd round instead of some Notre Dame center. Get the center as an UDFA instead. :(

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kaimi-fairbairn?id=2555374

WEAKNESSES Three of his four misses came in the fourth quarter. Kickoff hang time was average by NFL standards. Could cause major issues for jersey maker if he asks to go by given name Ka'iminoeauloameka'ikeokekumupa'a.

My head hurts trying to pronoumce that

Duxxy3

Last yr:

3rd in the NFL in points (29.1)
6th in yds per game (374.4)
5th in passing yds per game (286.7)

This while Gronk, Edelman, Amendola and Lewis missed multiple games last year. Also the Patriots O Line that was bad last year.

Not a response, just putting up 2014 numbers

4th in the NFL in points (29.3)
11th in yds per game (365.5)
9th in passing yds per game (257.6)
18th in rushing yds per game (107.9)

in 2015 - 30th in rushing yds per game (87.8)

A lot of people are leaving ESPN lately.

Well, if you read Disney's investor reports, you'd see that ESPN has been struggling to deal with cord cutters, while at the same time being locked into long term contracts with the NFL, NBA, SEC and other leagues. ESPN needs to cut costs so you can imagine where executives are going to look. Those former athletes are going to get axed left and right.

Line_HTX

Well, if you read Disney's investor reports, you'd see that ESPN has been struggling to deal with cord cutters, while at the same time being locked into long term contracts with the NFL, NBA, SEC and other leagues. ESPN needs to cut costs so you can imagine where executives are going to look. Those former athletes are going to get axed left and right.

There goes a lot of former player perspective analysis, lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There goes a lot of former player perspective analysis, lol

"YOU KNOW BILL WHEN I PLAYED THE KEY TO THE GAME WAS TO SCORE MORE POINTS"

"LOL TOM THE ONLY KEY YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR IS THE ONE TO A BETTER TAILOR LOL"

Yeah, they'll surely be missed.

BUt then promptly say they are moving a franchise LT to guard. Are they really doing that?

That's what they've said, even called Albert after the pick to let him know he was still the LT but I think after they start training camp they'll see the error of their ways and move him to LG and start Tunsil at LT....or at least I hope :/

Top Bottom