• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
"Every year our goal is to make the playoffs. We do have a challenging schedule for this upcoming season, but I have faith that in Dan Quinn's second year, we will continue to make progress and build the Falcons into a championship contender."

*folds arms and smiles*

"We've only started the Cowboys' cycle. We're an 8-8 team. But I want to assure all Falcons' fans that I'm primed and ready for the 2016-2017 season. I've already purchased a lighter, and I plan on lighting my crotch on fire when week 17 ends."

Euron

2016-5-0-EliApple.png

MechDX

Instant-impact rookies from the 2016 NFL Draft

Tyler Ervin, RB, Houston Texans
Drafted in: Round 4, No. 119 overall.

The Texans run a very creative offense, and I expect Ervin to be a factor on screens and draws out of the backfield. Quickness is very important in that role, and he has an explosive first step. The all-time leader at San Jose State in all-purpose yards, Ervin can also return punts and kickoffs; he'll be a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. As a smaller guy, Ervin probably wouldn't hold up well with a full-time workload, but if he can get in on 45 plays per game as a complement to Lamar Miller, he should contribute something like 800 yards. He'll really create problems for Houston's opponents.

Didnt like this pick at first but the media is raving about it.

Braxton Miller, WR, Houston Texans
Drafted in: Round 3, No. 85 overall.

Houston had a pretty good draft, as evidenced by the two Texans players on this list. Given how new the former QB is to the position, Miller still needs to work on his route-running, but he's a big guy (6-1, 201 pounds) who has the speed to separate quickly. I think he'll become Houston's second receiver and really be a huge help to DeAndre Hopkins, because opponents will have to respect what he brings to the field. He's very competitive and can be used in the return game and as a running back in special situations. I expect him to outperform first-round pick Will Fuller, as Fuller relies more on straight-line speed, while Miller can make tacklers miss when he has the ball -- and he has the speed to take it to the house.

Braxton Miller hype drive going to hit plaid soon! Hope Squicken can control it

2 of the 11 players on this list. Not bad

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Instant-impact rookies from the 2016 NFL Draft

Didnt like this pick at first but the media is raving about it.

Braxton Miller hype drive going to hit plaid soon! Hope Squicken can control it

2 of the 11 players on this list. Not bad

Ragland has a lot of the same physical qualities as David Harris, who played extremely well for Rex Ryan when Ryan was with the Jets. I expect Ragland to fill the Harris role under Ryan in Buffalo. The SEC Defensive Player of the Year had 102 tackles and seven pass breakups in 2015. The latter stat is important, because one of the things you worry about with someone who has Ragland's 4.72 speed is the ability to cover tight ends and running backs -- but that was something Ragland clearly was able to do in college. He has very good instincts and strengths, and he's an outstanding tackler. When he gets to 'em, they go down. He's also a great character person. I expect him to rack up 100-plus tackles and improve Buffalo's defense by 7 points per game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ragland has a lot of the same physical qualities as David Harris, who played extremely well for Rex Ryan when Ryan was with the Jets. I expect Ragland to fill the Harris role under Ryan in Buffalo. The SEC Defensive Player of the Year had 102 tackles and seven pass breakups in 2015. The latter stat is important, because one of the things you worry about with someone who has Ragland's 4.72 speed is the ability to cover tight ends and running backs -- but that was something Ragland clearly was able to do in college. He has very good instincts and strengths, and he's an outstanding tackler. When he gets to 'em, they go down. He's also a great character person. I expect him to rack up 100-plus tackles and improve Buffalo's defense by 7 points per game.

Le'Veon Bell is going to make that guy look like a fat turnstile.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lots of tackles = minus 7 points per game lulz

Sort of code words for "Buffalo's linebacker core in 2015 could have been as effective if they were made up of old jock straps piled roughly 6 feet high"

He won't see the gutter cats' injury maker until a week after he stomps the feet Rex worships.

Please, you're forgetting the Bills, with an assist from rampant affluenza and douchebaggery, ended Johnny Football's career.

So was picking Apple and passing on Tunsil
Thank you for that.
Don't thank me. Thank 12 other teams that didn't want to take that risk either.

Nonetheless, I have total and complete confidence in Miami's front office and their draft execution, Chris. I mean, you don't question an organization that has such a proven and unassailable track record in hitting and hitting big on their draft picks.

giphy.gif

Fantomex

Nonetheless, I have total and complete confidence in Miami's front office and their draft execution. I mean, you don't question an organization that has such a proven and unassailable track record in hitting on their draft picks.

That was good Future I must admit.

But please, if in the future you take a jab at the Rams, make sure it's only at my coach. Anything else will be frowned upon.

Nonetheless, I have total and complete confidence in Miami's front office and their draft execution, Chris. I mean, you don't question an organization that has such a proven and unassailable track record in hitting and hitting big on their draft picks.

giphy.gif

Dion Jordan is going to tear up the league this year!! Y'all see!!!!

EXx7lmT.gif

Speaking of dumb, Damontre Moore was cut by the Phins.

Wonder if he ends up in Dallas.

2013 draft was so terrible....

You guys were so nice to jump Chip Kelly for him.

Lane Johnson is in a much better place.

Shame we couldn't trade him to Philly before his drug bust....#ThatssoDolphins

The only thing Dion Jordan is going to tear is an ACL.

smh and to think I rooted for the Giants twice in the Owl.

https://media.giphy.com/media/MhDrIVP2O5qDK/giphy.gif
Can I take this as your prediction that Tunsil will be a bust? I'm on the fence but if I had to guess I'd say he'll be more good than bad.

Off topic but Anyone here have experience using USA jobs for federal employment?
-If so how often are you actually including a cover letter if at all?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Off topic but Anyone here have experience using USA jobs for federal employment?

I had some experience.

Does it require one? Cover letters and applying for jobs is such a mixed bag. Most places just throw them in the trash but then other places read them once they selected which resumes they like. May as well just make a format cover letter where you can change a few things to tailor it for the position.

Hindl

But bulls and bison are totally different species.

Hey any of you guys getting battleborn on xb1? I am so tempted.

I think a bull just refers to a male of that general genus, which includes buffalo, bison, cattle, yak, etc. Plus it's SI I don't think it's that high-brow

I had some experience.

Does it require one? Cover letters and applying for jobs is such a mixed bag. Most places just throw them in the trash but then other places read them once they selected which resumes they like. May as well just make a format cover letter where you can change a few things to tailor it for the position.
Most of the job postings don't actually request one in required documents. But at the end of questionnaires and transferring documents their usually is a optional cover letter slot. The thing is with USA jobs I believe specific keywords are sought out within resumes to weed through candidates. Sometimes it's just not always clear about cover Letters. I did a Google search about covers but didn't find the most direct answer. I could just stop being lazy, but didn't want to Inlcude them if Not absolutely necessary and my resumes isn't even picked up.
Edit: asking in that job thread

RBH

I don't root for Leicester booboo, the Panthers do.

Don't you have the worst team in baseball and another sweep by the Cavaliers to worry about?

If the Raptors make it to the conference finals (as we know the Cavs will already be there) the battles between myself and Mr. Ghost will be strictly business.

No hard feelings, just business.

"We've only started the Cowboys' cycle. We're an 8-8 team. But I want to assure all Falcons' fans that I'm primed and ready for the 2016-2017 season. I've already purchased a lighter, and I plan on lighting my crotch on fire when week 17 ends."
I can taste the disrespect in this thread on the tip of my tongue

Striker

2013 draft was so terrible....
Note: not calling the Phins cutting him is wrong. Simply in his last season, Moore displayed some serious lack of restraint and intelligence both on and off the field. And to think he looked like a steal coming out of the draft. Bad, bad pick.

Note: not calling the Phins cutting him is wrong. Simply in his last season, Moore displayed some serious lack of restraint and intelligence both on and off the field. And to think he looked like a steal coming out of the draft. Bad, bad pick.

Yeah I know, but even the Dolphins was god awful

Yep. Texans draft that year was a bust except for the first pick.

And to think a lot of Texans fans wanted Patterson over Nuk.

2013 Miami Dolphins Draft Class:

1 (3) Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
2 (54) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
3 (77) Dallas Thomas, Tackle/Guard, Tennessee
3 (93) Will Davis, CB, Utah State
4 (104) Jelani Jenkins, LB, Florida
4 (106) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State
5 (164) Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
5 (166) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
7 (250) Don Jones, S, Arkansas State

I mean look at this...Jenkins is the best one (and only one on the roster really) and the current staff is looking to replace him....this was all Ireland...

I always use a cover letter. I have a template that I modify slightly for each job I apply for. Definitely helps imo.

For federal jobs, usually what happens is you'll be invited to go take the next exam they have available depending on what you're applying for and then the ones who score the highest will get callbacks for interviews.

Can I take this as your prediction that Tunsil will be a bust? I'm on the fence but if I had to guess I'd say he'll be more good than bad.
I have no clue as I've watched almost nothing on Tunsil as a prospect. I do, however understand teams being less than thrilled at spending a premium pick on a player with even the perception of not being a "clean prospect". Even though I do think that its overblown as hell - knocking the Giants and Reese, a GM who is very much not in a position of taking risks with the #10 overall pick for not taking Tunsil is problematic. I would have LOVED to have taken Myles Jack at #10 but I knew there was no way in hell that Reese was going to pull that trigger. Just as I knew there was no way in hell he was going to touch Tunsil.

Besides that, my Miami FO statement was pure ribbing at Chris and nothing more.:D I genuinely hope he works out for you guys. The whole Eli Apple thing is amusing considering there's been some credible sources stating that Miami was going to take him at 13 if Tunsil hadn't fallen. Same goes for the notion of Apple being higher on a few teams boards than Hargreaves as well. Like with anything in the draft the proof is in the player performance. We'll know in three seasons.:)

Raise your hand if your team declined the option on your player drafted in the first round in 2013.

*raises hand*
*Looks around the room and see hands being raised.*

The Giants picked up Justin Pugh's fifth year option.

Raise your hand if your team declined the option on your player drafted in the first round in 2013.

*raises hand*

*raises hand

I still like DJ, he flashes at times, just needs to get more consistent. He's designated to start in the slot this year, so assuming he does well and stays healthy I think there's a good chance he'll be back.

I have no clue as I've watched almost nothing on Tunsil as a prospect. I do, however understand teams being less than thrilled at spending a premium pick on a player with even the perception of not being a "clean prospect". Even though I do think that its overblown as hell - knocking the Giants and Reese, a GM who is very much not in a position of taking risks with the #10 overall pick for not taking Tunsil is problematic. I would have LOVED to have taken Myles Jack at #10 but I knew there was no way in hell that Reese was going to pull that trigger. Just as I knew there was no way in hell he was going to touch Tunsil.

Besides that, my Miami FO statement was pure ribbing at Chris and nothing more.:D I genuinely hope he works out for you guys. The whole Eli Apple thing is amusing considering there's been some credible sources stating that Miami was going to take him at 13 if Tunsil hadn't fallen. Same goes for the notion of Apple being higher on a few teams boards than Hargreaves as well. Like with anything in the draft the proof is in the player performance. We'll know in three seasons.:)

Yeah he was and I would have been ok with it too, Apple is a scheme fit for Miami so I would have been ok with that pick, more than if we had picked Hargreaves. I got nothing but love for the Giants <3

MechDX

Yeah I know, but even the Dolphins was god awful

I mean look at this...Jenkins is the best one (and only one on the roster really) and the current staff is looking to replace him....this was all Ireland...

Texans 2013 draft picks
Round 1, Pick 27 (27 overall): WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (all pro)
Round 2, Pick 25 (57): SS D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina (cut by 2 teams)
Round 3, Pick 27 (89): OT Brennan Williams, North Carolina (now a wrestler)
Round 3, Pick 33 (95)*: OLB Sam Montgomery, LSU (SMH. Part of the infamous KC3)
Round 4, Pick 27 (124): OLB Trevardo Williams, Connecticut (Out of league)
Round 6, Pick 8 (176): OT David Quessenberry, San Jose State (Cancer. Hopefully back this year!)
Round 6, Pick 27 (195): WR Alan Bonner, Jacksonville State (dont know where he is)
Round 6, Pick 30 (233): DT Chris Jones, Bowling Green (cut after TC,Pats d line, cut this year)
Round 6, Pick 33 (201)*: TE Ryan Griffin, Connecticut (still on roster)

9 picks, 2 on roster still.

Tom Condon speaking about how Bradford was treated:

And I know people say, 'Why doesn't he just compete and win the job?' There is no real competition" with a QB drafted so high, that a team had to expend extra resources to acquire, Condon said. "He's playing, and that's all there is to it.

"Ideally, (Bradford) would get to go someplace and establish himself and be there for some lengthy period of time. That certainly isn't going to be in Philadelphia."

That all sounds reasonable to me.

One thing is for sure, this is a different Dolphins FO than the one we saw in previous years. Philbin was always a character first type of guy (I miss Vontae Davis) so there is no way he would have signed off on Tunsil. Don't forget about Leonte Carroo either, his record isn't exactly the cleanest.

Top Bottom