• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Apparently Green Bay doesn't have a history of picking up options on their players. Always trying to get a better deal!

JABEE

Tom Condon speaking about how Bradford was treated:

And I know people say, 'Why doesn't he just compete and win the job?' There is no real competition" with a QB drafted so high, that a team had to expend extra resources to acquire, Condon said. "He's playing, and that's all there is to it.

"Ideally, (Bradford) would get to go someplace and establish himself and be there for some lengthy period of time. That certainly isn't going to be in Philadelphia."

Bradford is not good enough to be this big of an ego. You just had a below average season and were compensated handsomely. Bradford missed the season before that due to a torn ACL.

This guy thinks he deserves job security. Take your money. You knew there was nothing else out there.

Bradford also doesn't want to play for the Niners because of Chip. Where else does His Majesty not want to play?

The Packers, Giants, Patriots, Steelers, etc don't want you. There is no place in the NFL where he would have situation he wants or he would have taken a deal elsewhere.

Tom Condon is supposed to be a level-headed guy. Sam Bradford made him a lot of money over his career, but this is ridiculous.

Play the season and move on. Sit out OTAs and play like the shitty QB we know you are, and get replaced midway through the season.

It's almost as if Bradford and his agent are attempting to set-up this drama line so that he he has a narrative he can use when shopping around Bradford to other teams when Bradford is cut or traded next season. More excuses to bamboozle some other team into hiring the garbage QB known as Sammy Sleeves.

Take a hike, Sam. You are a nobody QB who has done absolutely nothing to earn the $100m+ career earnings that you have accumulated.

Go ruin some other shitty team with your long-sleeved, mentally-fragile antics. It's the NFL. Another shitty team will fall for it again. My biggest mistake in evaluating you was thinking that it was possible for you to be just a "good QB." What a mistake I made.

Apparently Green Bay doesn't have a history of picking up options on their players. Always trying to get a better deal!
Well that's part of the issue with the whole fifth year option scenario. In some cases, the cost of picking up that players option is ridiculous. The Giants picked up Pugh's option and are paying a guard 8.8 million dollars to keep him in 2017. That's a lot of money for a guard. It's understandable if a cap strapped team says no to something like that and wants to work out a long term contract instead. It's not always a condemnation on the player.

rando14

Bradford is not good enough to be this big of an ego. You just had a below average season and were compensated handsomely. Bradford missed the season before that due to a torn ACL.

This guy thinks he deserves job security. Take your money. You knew there was nothing else out there.

Bradford also doesn't want to play for the Niners because of Chip. Where else does His Majesty not want to play?

The Packers, Giants, Patriots, Steelers, etc don't want you. There is no place in the NFL where he would have situation he wants or he would have taken a deal elsewhere.

Tom Condon is supposed to be a level-headed guy. Sam Bradford made him a lot of money over his career, but this is ridiculous.

Play the season and move on. Sit out OTAs and play like the shitty QB we know you are, and get replaced midway through the season.

It's almost as if Bradford and his agent are attempting to set-up this drama line so that he he has a narrative he can use when shopping around Bradford to other teams when Bradford is cut or traded next season. More excuses to bamboozle some other team into hiring the garbage QB known as Sammy Sleeves.

Take a hike, Sam. You are a nobody QB who has done absolutely nothing to earn the $100m+ career earnings that you have accumulated.

Go ruin some other shitty team with your long-sleeved, mentally-fragile antics. It's the NFL. Another shitty team will fall for it again. My biggest mistake in evaluating you was thinking that it was possible for you to be just a "good QB." What a mistake I made.

Pepipe just had an aneurysm reading this!!

MechDX

Well that's part of the issue with the whole fifth year option scenario. In some cases, the cost of picking up that players option is ridiculous. The Giants picked up Pugh's option and are paying a guard 8.8 million dollars to keep him in 2017. That's a lot of money for a guard. It's understandable if a cap strapped team says no to something like that and wants to work out a long term contract instead. It's not always a condemnation on the player.

Most teams use that 5th year option as the first year on a new multi year deal. Build off of it and dont waste a franchise tag.

Bread

Banned
2016-5-0-EliApple.png
lmao the draw play is such trash

squicken

Tom Condon speaking about how Bradford was treated:

And I know people say, 'Why doesn't he just compete and win the job?' There is no real competition" with a QB drafted so high, that a team had to expend extra resources to acquire, Condon said. "He's playing, and that's all there is to it.

"Ideally, (Bradford) would get to go someplace and establish himself and be there for some lengthy period of time. That certainly isn't going to be in Philadelphia."

Yeah I heard him on Andrew Brandt's podcast. He also mentioned that everyone in the locker room knows everyone else's contract, and Bradford is now a lame duck in the eyes of him teammates.

I don't get the calls for Bradford to suck it up and "compete". It's not a competition. Wentz plays as soon as he is ready. Why deal with the fans and media calling for his head when his organization and teammates aren't behind him?

I get why the fans are mad. They don't care about his career. They just want him to go out there and take the lumps until the savior is ready

His best strategy is to hold out as long as he can tolerate it financially. Don't let the Eagles make him the fall guy to a bad season. Let Daniel and Wentz take those Ls. He goes in to the next season elsewhere and he has to try and compete for job, which is all he could do, anyway, if he shows up now up and plays until he gets pulled for the rookie

This is exactly what he is doing. Make the fans hate him, and not let Howie pin those Ls on him. Howie paid Sam to be the scapegoat for the upcoming disaster season, and Sam isn't playing ball. I hope he sticks to his guns, b/c he is a sucker if he falls for all this nonsense pressure to "compete"

Most teams use that 5th year option as the first year on a new multi year deal. Build off of it and dont waste a franchise tag.
Yeah, its a mini-franchise tag for all intents and purposes but some teams don't even bother. The Bucs and the Doug Martin situation is a good example.

Line_HTX

Texans 2013 draft picks
Round 1, Pick 27 (27 overall): WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (all pro)
Round 2, Pick 25 (57): SS D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina (cut by 2 teams)
Round 3, Pick 27 (89): OT Brennan Williams, North Carolina (now a wrestler)
Round 3, Pick 33 (95)*: OLB Sam Montgomery, LSU (SMH. Part of the infamous KC3)
Round 4, Pick 27 (124): OLB Trevardo Williams, Connecticut (Out of league)
Round 6, Pick 8 (176): OT David Quessenberry, San Jose State (Cancer. Hopefully back this year!)
Round 6, Pick 27 (195): WR Alan Bonner, Jacksonville State (dont know where he is)
Round 6, Pick 30 (233): DT Chris Jones, Bowling Green (cut after TC,Pats d line, cut this year)
Round 6, Pick 33 (201)*: TE Ryan Griffin, Connecticut (still on roster)

9 picks, 2 on roster still.

I really don't like that they're keeping both Tight Ends on the roster when all they've done is fail multiple times and killed drives.

Sucks that there weren't many good Tight Ends in the draft. Those two Bitches are already on my Shit List.

cdyhybrid

banderas.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah I heard him on Andrew Brandt's podcast. He also mentioned that everyone in the locker room knows everyone else's contract, and Bradford is now a lame duck in the eyes of him teammates.

I don't get the calls for Bradford to suck it up and "compete". It's not a competition. Wentz plays as soon as he is ready. Why deal with the fans and media calling for his head when his organization and teammates aren't behind him?

I get why the fans are mad. They don't care about his career. They just want him to go out there and take the lumps until the savior is ready

His best strategy is to hold out as long as he can tolerate it financially. Don't let the Eagles make him the fall guy to a bad season. Let Daniel and Wentz take those Ls. He goes in to the next season elsewhere and he has to try and compete for job, which is all he could do, anyway, if he shows up now up and plays until he gets pulled for the rookie

Assuming he didn't spend the majority of that $100 million, he could easily pull a Carson Palmer and just sit out the season.

The quarterback situation will be a lot more clear in January after a bunch of guys turn into hot garbage and Bradford suddenly looks better.

Assuming he didn't spend the majority of that $100 million, he could easily pull a Carson Palmer and just sit out the season.

The quarterback situation will be a lot more clear in January after a bunch of guys turn into hot garbage and Bradford suddenly looks better.

Pretty much, and chances are a team will lose their QB early in the season due to injury so he can just become a cog there until Jan rolls around.

If I were him I would sit out and pay the fines until a team desperate for a qb came knocking. Let Howie and Dougie start the year with Chase at qb and see how quickly people change their tunes. If they eagles start 0-6 there will be so much pressure to start wentz.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Raise your hand if your team declined the option on your player drafted in the first round in 2013.

*raises hand*

Yes, that would be Ezekial Ansah drafted by Martin Mayhew in the 2013 draft.

One of the best defensive ends in the game. Rated 99 in Madden 2016 last time I checked.

Duxxy3

Pats 2013 draft

2nd Round (#52 Overall) – Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss
2nd Round (#59 Overall) – Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
3rd Round (#83 Overall) – Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
3rd Round (#91 Overall) – Duron Harmon, SS, Rutgers
4th Round (#102 Overall) – Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
7th Round (#226 Overall) – Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois
7th Round (#235 Overall) – Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers

First 4 are still on the 3. Two of them are starters.

Bill is the greatest drafter of all time.

I could have picked 7 all pros, easily.

i had only heard him say good things about chip!

and even if he wanted to come to SF, is he better than kap or gabbert? no

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

This is exactly what he is doing. Make the fans hate him, and not let Howie pin those Ls on him. Howie paid Sam to be the scapegoat for the upcoming disaster season, and Sam isn't playing ball. I hope he sticks to his guns, b/c he is a sucker if he falls for all this nonsense pressure to "compete"

Bradford should compete because it's still the best thing for his career. So you don't have a long term contract and you see someone who will start ahead of you. Whining and acting unprofessional is the right move for your career? He can be mad, but not performing means anyone else who MIGHT have hired him now lost respect for him. It's still fundamentally a bad move for his career.

Euron

That was.....really dumb.

I've never seen one of those that is funny.

I hate the Giants but I respeck Eli. He's no dummy and is some sort of savant at avoiding injury.

lmao the draw play is such trash
It's been a very slow day for me and a friend sent me that so I wanted to see what NFL-GAF thought (since I've seen the 4th quarter Eli one here a lot).

I feel like I'm a much bigger fan of the Apple pick than most other people. A nickel corner was a huge need for us and with Conklin, Stanley, Elliot, and Floyd off the board, coupled with Tunsil's character concerns, the choice of position was easy. As for choosing Apple over VH3, I wasn't aware until recently of VH3's declining work ethic. Plus Apple is simply bigger and more athletic. His penalties have been a problem but if we're aware of it, the coaches sure as hell are and will work to keep him in check going forward. It certainly wasn't a dumb or impulse pick like people think. It was well thought out and honestly, with everything going on with Tunsil plus the things we don't know, it was probably the best pick possible at #10 (and Jerry tried to trade down but there were no sufficient offers).

I'm assuming Dumb Eli comes from the whole ManningFace thing. The only actual metric of his intelligence that we have is the Wonderlic, which is useless for the most part but he did score pretty high on that so that is some sort of reference. I'm not even sure how much of the avoiding injuries thing is due to intelligence as opposed to overall strength and toughness. Eli can get hit by a truck it seems and get back up. Glad to here there's at least respect for that despite ill feelings toward the Giants. I don't want to say I'm offended by the "Eli is an idiot" comments but they sure as hell aren't true. Then again, the Giants do the best when they're underestimated on all fronts so go ahead internet, keep going.

/minirant

423.gif

Anyone see the list of horse names for the upcoming Kentucky Derby?

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/leaderboard

"Tom's Ready"
"Brody's Cause"
"Mo Tom"

Yeah, it's Brody and not Brady, but still.....ugh.

*raises hand - well we passed on Jarvis Jones, who was a bust, but we still have Bell, Wheaton, Landry Jones and I believe Vince Williams (LB) is still on the team.

If Sandy Vajayjay is another horse, we know the fix is in. Cheaters trying to fuck up the Kentucky Derby now.

Pepiope

I love Jabee's post but I'm waiting on the Pepiope rebuttal.

Gonna pop some popcorn for it
I've always liked Bradford for what I thought he could become, not for what he was. He may have the talent of a top QB, but he does not have the resume at this point in time to make the demands he's making. He's not shitty, as Jabee put it, but the point is still valid. There is no rebuttal. :(

I still think he could be a good QB, but his time in Philly is over.

So what you're saying is that Bradford isn't clearly better than Blaine Gabbert?

2015:

Bradford - 86.4 rating
Gabbert - 86.2 rating

Also, gabbert had a worse team around him and a much worse coaching staff. not only would i say bradford isn't clearly better than gabbert, i would say he is clearly not as good as gabbert based on last season

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I've always liked Bradford for what I thought he could become, not for what he was. He may have the talent of a top QB, but he does not have the resume at this point in time to make the demands he's making. There is no rebuttal. :(

I still think he could be a good QB, but his time in Philly is over.

Throw-popcorn-gif.gif

Weak

squicken

idk where the Chip stuff comes from. Bradford said last year, after Chip was fired, he didn't like the tempo and wanted to be able to audible. Their last game vs NYG, they slowed things down, let him adjust plays at the LOS, and get under center. It worked, but then everything worked vs the Giants D last year

Bradford should compete because it's still the best thing for his career. So you don't have a long term contract and you see someone who will start ahead of you. Whining and acting unprofessional is the right move for your career? He can be mad, but not performing means anyone else who MIGHT have hired him now lost respect for him. It's still fundamentally a bad move for his career.

He was injured in college and came back early to help his team win. Ended up breaking his collarbone. Came back early from a high ankle sprain in 2011, took shots, to help his team. Tore his ACL in 2013, rehabbed it. Tore it again and rehabbed it again

Will teams worry that Bradford is a huge injury risk? Of course. Will they think he is afraid of a challenge? No

Sielski has a good column on how this whole thing was flawed from the beginning

The trade sets him up for failure and to be hated by the fans. Where's the wisdom in accepting that.

Pepiope

2015:

Bradford - 86.4 rating
Gabbert - 86.2 rating

Also, gabbert had a worse team around him and a much worse coaching staff. not only would i say bradford isn't clearly better than gabbert, i would say he is clearly not as good as gabbert based on last season
He was 2 years away from football, and wasn't even completely healthy until the pre-season. He would be the starting QB in SF, don't kid yourself. He will never go to SF though, so it's not like it matters. He doesn't wanna go anywhere it seems. Haha.
Not weak. There's just no defending him.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
He was 2 years away from football, and wasn't even completely healthy until the pre-season. He would be the starting QB in SF, don't kid yourself.

Not weak. There's just no defending him.

What happened to all that "second half of the season" stuff you were doing before the draft?? What changed?

idk where the Chip stuff comes from. Bradford said last year, after Chip was fired, he didn't like the tempo and wanted to be able to audible. Their last game vs NYG, they slowed things down, let him adjust plays at the LOS, and get under center. It worked, but then everything worked vs the Giants D last year

He was injured in college and came back early to help his team win. Ended up breaking his collarbone. Came back early from a high ankle sprain in 2011, took shots, to help his team. Tore his ACL in 2013, rehabbed it. Tore it again and rehabbed it again

Will teams worry that Bradford is a huge injury risk? Of course. Will they think he is afraid of a challenge? No

Sielski has a good column on how this whole thing was flawed from the beginning

The trade sets him up for failure and to be hated by the fans. Where's the wisdom in accepting that.

Why does he give a shit how fans feel about him? Philly fans boo their own team. He should be used to it.

The problem is, this season could have proved him in the eyes of other teams, even if he had no future with the Eagles. Throwing this fit does the opposite. He's now toxic. His own team members won't speak with him. And instead of going to workouts, getting in shape, getting practice, and trying to show the world he's legit next season he's sitting home crying. He could spend this offseason and next season showing the Jets, Saints, or whatever other teams may need a QB next year that he can be their guy going forward. You take your hit and you bounce back from it and still play your hardest and work your hardest because it's still the best thing for your career. You don't spend a month whining and not working, it's the WORST move for your career. It's illogical and immature and frankly if I were other teams GMs I would already write him off because of it.

Pepiope

What happened to all that "second half of the season" stuff you were doing before the draft?? What changed?
He showed progression. I really wanted to see him with a full off-season, injury free, and for him to continue the progress he made during the 2nd half of last season. I still would prefer him to stay (had he not acted this way), but he's taken it too far, don't ya think?

Demanding a trade after signing a deal to be paid like a top 10 QB, refusal to respond to calls from the coaching staff, refusal to show up to workouts...Do you think he can still command respect in the locker room at that point?

He needs a fresh start on a new team. I still believe he can help DEN repeat as champs. He's just done in Philly.

MechDX

He showed progression. I really wanted to see him with a full off-season, injury free, and for him to continue the progress he made during the 2nd half of last season. I still would prefer him to stay (had he not acted this way), but he's taken it too far, don't ya think?

Demanding a trade after signing a deal to be paid like a top 10 QB, refusal to respond to calls from the coaching staff, refusal to show up to workouts...Do you think he can still command respect in the locker room at that point?

He needs a fresh start on a new team. I still believe he can help DEN repeat as champs. He's just done in Philly.

Problem is his attitude is out there for the world and the rest of the league to see. No one is going to want him

Line_HTX

My freckles are extremely subtle so fuck you buddy!

I could have done without the "mole bloom" or whatever my doctor called it when you hit your early 30s and a bunch pop up. I find new ones like every time I think to look.

Moley moley moley moley~

Pepiope

Problem is his attitude is out there for the world and the rest of the league to see. No one is going to want him
That's what so disappointing. He shouldn't need to be handed the job. He should know he's good enough to take it.

It's a complete lack of confidence.

Dr.-Who.gif

Drakeon

2015:

Bradford - 86.4 rating
Gabbert - 86.2 rating

100% agreed. I want no part of Bradford and nothing I saw last year has me convinced he's better than Gabbert from last year. Gabbert played significantly better than when he was with the Jaguars. Still not great, but he looked like a serviceable backup QB for most of the games he started for us. That is also how I would describe Bradford. The difference is Gabbert doesn't have an 18 million dollar price tag.

That's what so disappointing. He shouldn't need to be handed the job. He should know he's good enough to take it.

It's a complete lack of confidence.

Dr.-Who.gif
What lack of confidence? All it shows is he doesn't want to play in a bad situation. A team that he has no future with and totally gave up on this year.

Pepiope

100% agreed. I want no part of Bradford and nothing I saw last year has me convinced he's better than Gabbert from last year. Gabbert played significantly better than when he was with the Jaguars. Still not great, but he looked like a serviceable backup QB for most of the games he started for us. That is also how I would describe Bradford. The difference is Gabbert doesn't have an 18 million dollar price tag.
He wouldn't cost a team trading for him that much.

The birds are responsible for 11M.

I believe it's 7M guaranteed this year, 4M next year

The fact that teams haven't bit at that price is not a great sign.

squicken

Fans always take the management narrative. Never fails

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...p_and_unfair_to_paint_Bradford_as_a_baby.html

This is nothing but an appeal to the lowest common denominator among this city’s sports fans, a questioning of a quarterback’s manhood, and it’s issuing directly from One NovaCare Way. Late Monday afternoon, Dave Spadaro of PhiladelphiaEagles.com appeared on Comcast SportsNet’s Philly Sports Talk and, in his role as message man for the franchise’s front office, said, “There’s competition in the NFL. It’s a big-boy league. Nobody’s given a job.” The implication was obvious: that Bradford is a feed-me-burp-me-change-me type for reportedly requesting a trade, that he can’t abide having to vie to be the Eagles’ starting quarterback with a rookie in Wentz and a career backup in Chase Daniel. Those themes have flown on the wind for days now, landing in social-media and talk-radio interactions, framed in ridiculing words: Bradford is a sissy. Bradford is afraid to compete. Bradford needs to man up.

So this is how we define toughness in Philadelphia now—not by whether an athlete displays it in its genuine form, but by whether he kowtows to the tired narrative that it’s a privilege to play here and anyone who doesn’t act accordingly is a wimp who can’t handle the pressure. It doesn’t make Bradford weak that he can recognize when he’s staring at a stacked deck. The notion that the Eagles would give up a net three draft picks to select Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick, then not play Wentz because Bradford had managed to persuade them that he was indeed the better long-term option, is nonsense on stilts.

effzee

Everyone keeps missing the point on Bradford.

He was already handed the job. There is no competition for this coming year. He knows that.

The Eagles did that, not Sam. They resigned him before FA even began. That's all Howie. Then Doug wanted Chase Daniels and they signed him too and to a pretty expensive contact for a back up.

The point is they sold to Sam the opportunity to use this coming season and the 2 year contract (guarding against injury) as a prove it year. Sam and his agent knew that and agreed.

Then they traded away the draft for this year, next year, and the following to draft a QB. Now all of a sudden no matter how Sam plays, because the Eagles have so much invested in Wentz (none of which they could ever get back), Bradford is done after this season.

As a player no matter how shit I've been, if I'm courted and sold the idea to win the long term job, then the team trades away resources which guarantees I won't be brought back then yeah I'll be upset.

Demanding a trade right before the draft is just smart business because teams might pull the trigger. He and his agent probably knew they have no choice but to play for the Eagles but tried to force a trade if possible.

I'm sure he'd like to play for Denver and was holding out hope.

The whole mess is Howie's fault and considering the money and picks now locked into the QB position, if I'm angry at anyone it's the Eagles FO.

Top Bottom