• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The year was 1994. The school year was ending and we had a final report due in our American studies class. We had to write a report about our hero (I guess it was just assumed it was going to be an American? I dunno.) I got an A on my report and just 2 months later, I watched my American hero, the best player my favorite sports team has ever had, slowly escape down an LA freeway and out of the broken dreams of a tweenage Bills fan. That was the day I learned that sports stars aren't appropriate heroes. Sometimes, they're not good people. Sometimes, they're double murdering scumbags.

But at least I wasn't born a Cleveland Browns fan.

I don't remember. I do remember 911 specifically because we worked with people at World Trade .

I remember 9/11, was my first fall without school (graduated June 2001) and my sister busts into my room while I was sleeping saying how we were under attack, freaked me out at first, I turned on the TV and watched right before the second plane hit. I remember I flew out to North Carolina the following week...LAX was crazy...we had to be there almost 4 hours earlier because they had just lifted the flight restrictions like a day before.

Line_HTX

I remember watching the Rockets in the NBA finals and it getting moved to a small, inset screen while they showed the white Bronco driving down a damn freeway on the other 90% of the screen.....

Even when Houston finally wins in a major sport we lose.

Literally the first time I ever watched sports at all as a kid. I was like why was this Finals game interrupted by a police chase...

Fox318

giphy.gif

Tom Penny

I remember 9/11, was my first fall without school (graduated June 2001) and my sister busts into my room while I was sleeping saying how we were under attack, freaked me out at first, I turned on the TV and watched right before the second plane hit. I remember I flew out to North Carolina the following week...LAX was crazy...we had to be there almost 4 hours earlier because they had just lifted the flight restrictions like a day before.
A guy i work with brother died in that and my sisters friend. Its crazy but but i always wonder when crazy shit goes down how lucky a person is who banged out sick or got stuck in traffic or the unlucky who decided to go in when they didnt have to. When i was like 13 me and my buddy were at a Burger King a half hour before it got robbed and a couple people killed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Who remembers where they were when they heard the "not guilty" verdict?

For me I was in elementary school in music class. The teacher came in and put on the radio so she could hear the verdict. We did no music that day except end up spending the rest of the class talking about the OJ verdict and why we were happy/upset about it.

Junior year of high school during AP English. Some kids in other classes briefly ran out and did a quick cheer then ran back in.

As great as Ozzie has been, that has been such a costly mistake. Are they even going to be close to getting back to the SB while under his present deal? They keep having to redo it, which keeps him among the highest paid QBs. Let him walk and they would have had big cap savings and a nice compensatory pick

There have been a series of mistakes by Ozzie when it comes to signing long term deals (Pitta, Webb) that, paired with the Flacco albatross, will keep us hurting. Ozzie is great at some things, but managing the money is not one of them. I honestly can not remember an offseason where the Ravens had a good amount of cap space.

And man did I get crushed for calling the Flacco contract a mistake, being right sucks sometimes.

MechDX

Joel A. EricksonVerified account
‏@JoelAErickson
Tom Condon on @RichEisenShow, says the Saints seem to be satisfied with carrying Brees' cap number right now.

Kind of interesting since if they dont rework his deal he would be a free agent next year and I dont think the Saints would use the franchise tag

Let's laugh at Cam Newton

I'd love to get these jokes off about Cam's inability to use cliches correctly and his propensity for total incoherence when he talks, but people don't know how to act when it comes to Cam.

I'm too busy defending him from sheer lunacy like Tennessee mom and every single one of the "dab ruining football" folks to laugh at his mishaps.

Greg

has anyone here ever taken a long train ride somewhere?

I've always wanted to go on a train adventure and might do it next month

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm with you guys.

Surprised some of you are saying school was interrupted to watch it

I was in 7th grade and they had everyone gather around the library to listen to the verdict.

The school was shaped like a starfish or something similar with the library in the dead middle built down into a recessed area...so everyone was in the library and huddled around the surrounding walls above the library.

I just remember kids crying...I wasn't too invested into the whole thing so I didn't get the big deal other than most everyone was pretty convinced he was guilty but that there were real fears about another riot starting in LA.

The whole thing was a cultural circus that became partially a proxy for black-white relations in the US....it was really odd.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Wait for the Elon Musk's hyperloop! Where you can see the amazing sights of the inside of a metal tube going by at a very high rate of speed.

Fox318

I actually like it more than flying. Less security plus you usually get free wifi and some power outlets.

interesting... thanks for the feedback!

How long is the trip? Does it have anything interesting going on? I have a friend that has been looking to take a trip on a train with a bunch of writers, they get together and all head out to SF and take the train together, they write and critique their work while on the trip, that sounds fun, I think she saw it here on Gaf. Then there are also some that do tours, you'll get off a certain stops for a few hours to look around etc.

gutshot

I rode Amtrak from Raleigh to DC. If I had to sit in coach the whole time it would have sucked, but I went up to the dining car and they had booths you could sit at while you ate. Barely anyone was in there. So I just camped in one of those, it was quiet, more space and I could watch the scenery roll by. It was nice.

Top Bottom