• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think he starts any, to be honest. I think they truly want to make this a redshirt year for him. And with both Bradford and Daniel ahead of him, unless disaster strikes and they both go down, they likely will.

I also think the Eagles will at least be in contention for a wild card spot late into the season. Their offense is going to be terrible, but defensively I think they will be quite good. Top 10, maybe even top 5. That should win them enough games that they will only be a game or two out of a wild card spot going into Dec. Don't forget, their offense was terrible last year too but it was the defense completely shitting the bed versus Tampa Bay and Detroit that effectively eliminated them from the playoffs. As long as they can avoid that again this year, they have a shot to contend for a playoff berth.

I agree he won't start if they have a shot, but I think them actually having a shot is pretty far-fetched. If they are out of wild card contention at week 14 then starting Wentz seems like a good idea. You can't ruin someone's confidence when he knows the games don't matter.

gutshot

Oh definitely, even Mel Brooks thinks so. It's so outrageous and fearless about it's satire, but people wouldn't be able to take it at face value

I just hate the schedule, if our defense is good we could be looking at 6-3 in Week 11, which is pretty decent. But then we have:

That's just a brutal way to end a season, especially Week 11-13

I agree it looks bad as we sit here in May. But I generally don't fret about the schedule this far out. Everything changes so much in the NFL, not just year-to-year, but week-to-week. Games that look like certain Ls prior to the season become easy Ws and vice versa. Injuries and just the weekly ebb-and-flow of the season make it foolhardy to predict this stuff so far in advance.

I agree he won't start if they have a shot, but I think them actually having a shot is pretty far-fetched. If they are out of wild card contention at week 14 then starting Wentz seems like a good idea. You can't ruin someone's confidence when he knows the games don't matter.

What makes you think that they won't have a shot? Again, I have no confidence in this offense doing much of anything. But their defense should be good. They lost essentially no one (thanks Miami!) and added a bunch of solid players whose best years came under Schwartz. And they won't have Chip's insistence on tempo running them ragged by year's end. They were a top 2 defense in the first half of last season, according to DVOA, and then ranked in the 20s in the second half. The fatigue was real.

Schwartz's system and the plethora of talented young players they have should make them pretty good defensively and I think that will carry them just enough to make starting Wentz not a realistic possibility.

Fantomex

Have you decided on becoming a Pats fan yet?

Time to fix this disgusting page

uJec9uJ.gif

eqnnIYq.gif

squicken

I think there's a good chance Wentz starts two games this season. A lot will depend on whether or not they have a shot at making the playoffs though, which they probably don't.

In the middle of the year, Philly goes @SEA, GB, @CIN. Likely to lose all 3 which will be a good reason for a change. "We felt like the team needed a spark" said Pederson.

Pretty much everyone thinks Wentz takes over either the next week at home vs WAS, or the following week @BAL

What makes you think that they won't have a shot? Again, I have no confidence in this offense doing much of anything. But their defense should be good. They lost essentially no one (thanks Miami!) and added a bunch of solid players whose best years came under Schwartz. And they won't have Chip's insistence on tempo running them ragged by year's end. They were a top 2 defense in the first half of last season, according to DVOA, and then ranked in the 20s in the second half. The fatigue was real.

Schwartz's system and the plethora of talented young players they have should make them pretty good defensively and I think that will carry them just enough to make starting Wentz not a realistic possibility.

The general rule of thumb is that I don't expect much from a team in a new coach's first season. Just because Chip had success in his first season doesn't do much to change my mind on this. It's a new system, with lots of new pieces, and I don't expect all kinks to be worked out for at least the first five games of the season. Maybe we'll be happily surprised but I don't really think it should be expected.

In the middle of the year, Philly goes @SEA, GB, @CIN. Likely to lose all 3 which will be a good reason for a change. "We felt like the team needed a spark" said Pederson.

Pretty much everyone thinks Wentz takes over either the next week at home vs WAS, or the following week @BAL

I think Pederson is actually going to give Chase Daniel a shot though. I could see Pederson getting the ball then, and if he blows it then Wentz coming in.

The general rule of thumb is that I don't expect much from a team in a new coach's first season. Just because Chip had success in his first season doesn't do much to change my mind on this. It's a new system, with lots of new pieces, and I don't expect all kinks to be worked out for at least the first five games of the season. Maybe we'll be happily surprised but I don't really think it should be expected.

I think Pederson is actually going to give Chase Daniel a shot though. I could see Pederson getting the ball then, and if he blows it then Wentz coming in.
Plus Chip was a great coach and Dougie is a terrible fucking coach.

Plus Chip was a great coach and Dougie is a terrible fucking coach.

I'm glad you know this before DP has coached a single game.

The only reason the Eagles won anything the first year under Chip is because Foles got extremely lucky on some big throws and somehow Riley Cooper looked like a genius. Having a real wide receiver didn't hurt, either. That's not something normal or something I can entirely pin on Chip.

gutshot

Yeah, but most teams change coaches after their roster has become a total dumpster fire, devoid of talent. The Eagles actually have talent at some important positions, especially on defense. That's why I don't think there will be too much of a drop off from last season on that side of the ball.

Just look at the Broncos as an example of what switching coaches can look like when you have an actually talented team. I'm not saying the Eagles roster is as good as the Broncos, but they are closer to them than they are to the Browns.

Hindl

The only reason the Eagles won anything the first year under Chip is because Foles got extremely lucky on some big throws and somehow Riley Cooper looked like a genius. Having a real wide receiver didn't hurt, either. That's not something normal or something I can entirely pin on Chip.

Don't forget the #1 O Line and rushing attack in the league

Go back and watch games from chips first year. He was scheming guys wide fucking open. I have never seen anything like that in my life. Foles put up good numbers but he held that team back so much. Poor throws, terrible reads, holding the ball when guys were wide open. That was the year that convinced me Foles would never be good. If the Eagles had a good qb that year that could have been a special team.

squicken

Go back and watch games from chips first year. He was scheming guys wide fucking open. I have never seen anything like that in my life. Foles put up good numbers but he held that team back so much. Poor throws, terrible reads, holding the ball when guys were wide open. That was the year that convinced me Foles would never be good. If the Eagles had a good qb that year that could have been a special team.

I would watch Eagles games and not understand how they didn't score every drive. Foles would have forever to throw to wide open receivers, would wait too long, throw jump balls, and Cooper and DJax would catch them anyway. If Chip could have just had league average QB play they could have contended for the SB

I would watch Eagles games and not understand how they didn't score every drive. Foles would have forever to throw to wide open receivers, would wait too long, throw jump balls, and Cooper and DJax would catch them anyway. If Chip could have just had league average QB play they could have contended for the SB

They had league average QB play last year with an above average defense and didn't even make .500

Chip banked the whole season on the run game and it totally failed him.

They had league average QB play last year with an above average defense and didn't even make .500

Chip banked the whole season on the run game and it totally failed him.
Last year the wrs lead the league in drops, and the guard play was so bad most weeks they couldn't even hand the ball off without guys getting hit in the backfield. Also the D was like 20th I believe in total defense, and really tanked the second half due to the offense not sustaing drives. Also the offense the first year was totally different then in year 3.

Last year the wrs lead the league in drops, and the guard play was so bad most weeks they couldn't even hand the ball off without guys getting hit in the backfield. Also the D was like 20th I believe in total defense, and really tanked the second half due to the offense not sustaing drives. Also the offense the first year was totally different then in year 3.

That defense may have been ranked 20th, but they were much better than that. Especially when Hicks was healthy. They did wear down at the end because they were on the field so much, but that was because Chip's offense didn't work.

Their offense looked the best Bradford was YOLO slangin' IMO. But Chip was so predictable with his playcalls and desire to keep trying to go back to the run game.

Hindl

That defense may have been ranked 20th, but they were much better than that. Especially when Hicks was healthy. They did wear down at the end because they were on the field so much, but that was because Chip's offense didn't work.

Their offense looked the best Bradford was YOLO slangin' IMO. But Chip was so predictable with his playcalls and desire to keep trying to go back to the run game.

That was his big problem. Because you're right, when the offense clicked last year it looked really good. Chip has the right ideas on how to scheme people open and disect defenses. But it seems like he used this knowledge to start creating a playbook and just stopped a quarter the way through. And when he started getting predictable, he refused to design new plays. He has the smarts to make a good offense, but he needs someone else to guide him and balance his flaws. I think he could become a really good Offensive Coordinator if his pride would let him do it.

Just got a voicemail with an automated message saying the IRS was filing a lawsuit against me... scared shitless until I called back and a guy with a heavy Indian accent answered. I could barely hear him the room he was in was so loud. He hung up.

Looked it up online and sure enough it's a scam.

I'm going to call them back and fuck with them

Line_HTX

Just got a voicemail with an automated message saying the IRS was filing a lawsuit against me... scared shitless until I called back and a guy with a heavy Indian accent answered. I could barely hear him the room he was in was so loud. He hung up.

They would never actually file a lawsuit. I got one as well last month and definitely knew it was a scam.

squicken

As YH mentioned, the guard play killed them. But I agree about the tempo. When it works, it's great. But the defense started as a very good unit and finished as awful. They just had to face too many downs. I really hope Chip learned from his mistakes, b/c the NFCW is no country for stubborn men

Tom Penny

Some of your relatives have a huge unclaimed inheritance. If you send me 10K you will get a million back.

gutshot

Any time you get a call about something like that, it's a guaranteed scam. All legal stuff has to be on paper. You'd get shit in the mail way before any calls. You might not get any calls at all, actually.

Top Bottom