• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

squicken

Holy fuck, is that thing real?

Why are old people so happy?

I am 38 so if that is real shit is about to fall off of a cliff for me. I am not sure if I buy that chart. Most people I know in their 30s-50s are pretty damn happy (at least the ones with money and a decent spouse). I might live in a bubble though so I won't go 100% just by my experiences.

My dad retired a couple of years ago and he is BY FAR the happiest he has ever been. Plays golf 4 times a week. Takes a long nap during the day. He and my mom take long vacations w/o worrying about work. I'm not surprised at all

Man I am 32 and we only have like a grand total of $30k in retirement accounts. Feels like I'll never retire. At least we're finally putting more than $5k a year into retirement accounts now, but I really feel like we need to kick it up to $10k a year if I want to retire at a reasonable age.

squicken

I wonder what the bts was on Mettenberger. He's on a rookie deal, and Matt Cassell is hardly some big upgrade. Basically the Landry Jones of Tennessee

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Man I am 32 and we only have like a grand total of $30k in retirement accounts. Feels like I'll never retire. At least we're finally putting more than $5k a year into retirement accounts now, but I really feel like we need to kick it up to $10k a year if I want to retire at a reasonable age.

Gonna be a grind. I think I have like $120k built up, been working full-time since 2001. I'm 37, company match helps out hugely for 401k stuff.

I wonder what the bts was on Mettenberger. He's on a rookie deal, and Matt Cassell is hardly some big upgrade. Basically the Landry Jones of Tennessee
Mettenberger had tons of chances and just failed. New GM has the new look mentality. I don't even think Bishop Sankey or Antonio Andrews is safe too. I don't even know if they resigned McCluster.

That's good compared to my parents who are in their mid 40s. They have nothing in retirement.. Luckily my father has finally started to come into extra money and he can save a lot more now.

Gonna be a grind. I think I have like $120k built up, been working full-time since 2001. I'm 37, company match helps out hugely for 401k stuff.

I've been full time since 2008. My company has no 401k so I am stuck with IRA, and have been maxing that out the last two years. Before that my wife had a 401k so we put like $5k a year in that too. But at least we own our house and have like 30% equity minimum in that. If we weren't saving to upgrade our house to something in the $550-600k range I'd probably have socked another $20k into retirement accounts already.

That's good compared to my parents who are in their mid 40s. They have nothing in retirement.. Luckily my father has finally started to come into extra money and he can save a lot more now.

Don't even want to think of my parents. They have literally $0 for retirement and are late 50s/early 60s. Chronic health problems ruin all hope for future stability. It doesn't seem to bother them much because I think they are convinced they'll be dead before retirement age.

He lost all his starts.

edit: I think talking about taste with beer is defeating the purpose. All beer tastes like shit. I drink beer for the buzz it gives. As long as I can get it down it's fine.

If I want to enjoy what i'm drinking almost any other alcoholic drink comes before beer.

squicken

Mettenberger had tons of chances and just failed. New GM has the new look mentality. I don't even think Bishop Sankey or Antonio Andrews is safe too. I don't even know if they resigned McCluster.

I would have understood it better if they drafted a guy in the 4th round or something and liked him for that roster spot. But Matt Cassell was as bad as Mettenberger last year, imo. I guess I am just going to miss Watt sacking him 12 times a year

bionic77

I save a lot, invest a decent amount, and try to put in as much as possible into my 401k.

But I have to say after working for more than 10 years and contributing for at least the last 7 (of which I have done most of it in the past 5), my 401k doesn't grow anywhere near the rate it has to for me to get to the number my retirement person told me I need to get to (I believe he said I need to get to $2 million which he says I will at my current contribution rate, which I think is bullshit because I learned how to add a long time ago).

Just do your best and plan on living within your means, whatever that may be.

Also, give your kids some HGH in their bottle. That might help them become basketball players, which is probably the best retirement plan of all...

The media trumps it up and dumb fans (not just anywhere but some of our own too) eat it up.

https://vine.co/v/ippwvLQhn0Q

If you're so smart, why are you a Cleveland fan
NH9gE7v.gif

Tom Penny

I save a lot, invest a decent amount, and try to put in as much as possible into my 401k.

But I have to say after working for more than 10 years and contributing for at least the last 7 (of which I have done most of it in the past 5), my 401k doesn't grow anywhere near the rate it has to for me to get to the number my retirement person told me I need to get to (I believe he said I need to get to $2 million which he says I will at my current contribution rate, which I think is bullshit because I learned how to add a long time ago).

Just do your best and plan on living within your means, whatever that may be.

Also, give your kids some HGH in their bottle. That might help them become basketball players, which is probably the best retirement plan of all...
compounding interest is how it grows. Simply starting to contribute early grows it exponentially vs starting five years later. I lost a bunch of years I can't get back. It will end up being tens Or hundreds of thousands in the long run.

bionic77

compounding interest is how it grows. Simply starting to contribute early grows it exponentially vs starting five years later.
I know that.

But honestly considering how much the stock market has grown and considering the fact that most of my funds are to be invested aggressively I somehow expected much better returns that what I got back.

There were some years I lost money in my 401k and some in which I had sub 3% returns.

Honestly it is first world problems but from what I talk to the old guys who are now at retirement age we should all take our 401k projections with a huge grain of salt.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I know that.

But honestly considering how much the stock market has grown and considering the fact that most of my funds are to be invested aggressively I somehow expected much better returns that what I got back.

There were some years I lost money in my 401k and some in which I had sub 3% returns.

Honestly it is first world problems but from what I talk to the old guys who are now at retirement age we should all take our 401k projections with a huge grain of salt.

The recession a couple years back likely slowed down a lot of that growth. Most 401k projections are over the span of like 30-40 years.

I know that.

Yup, I have 4 different savings accounts because I don't trust that my 401k will grow to what they are projecting, sure I still have 30 years to go before retirement but I'd rather have several back up plans just in case and even though I should expect to be making a lot more money after I finish school, I don't take any of that into consideration when I'm saving. You never know what can happen.

Crisco

Banned
I know that.

Yeah, I have a 401k, but my backup retirement plan is investment property. I've got 2 homes plus the one I live in already, renting both of them. Nothing more than $250K, but I can pretty much already pay for my main house with the profit from my other two. I figure whenever I retire, I at least will have housing expenses covered so the 401k can suck my balls.

Tom Penny

I know that.

Most projections are made based on averaging six percent a year. If the market crashes right before you need money you are screwed but you should be in money markets and bonds by ten. I get matched seven percent so I could never save that money otherwise. They give us a profit sharing dump into our 401k each year too. I am getting gouged on stocks though Apple wrecked me :( I'm not selling anytime soon though bought the wrong time.

Top Bottom