• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
You know, this trade gives Howie Roseman so much job security. We won't even know if the QB is a bust for at least another two years. Plus you can't get rid of Roseman on the basis of bad draft picks because he doesn't have any.

Furyous

Stages of acceptance thus far:

1. WHAT IN THE FUCK IS SASHI, HUE, AND BASEBALL ANALYTICS GUY THINKING?
2. Get me a damn quarterback
3. This is not enough as we need another draft pick
4. DAMN WE FLEECED THE SHIT OUT OF THE EAGLES!
5. *looks at recent draft history*
6. DAMMIT WE GOT FLEECED!!
7. Someone have Goodell get Adam Silver on the phone and help him find a way to veto this trade for "football reason"
8. THIS SHIT BETTER WORK
9. RG3, Josh, and Austin/Connor are our QBs with RG3 starting and Josh backing him up
10. WE DUN FUCKED IT ALL UP.

*These opinions are subject to change if we are successful and the Eagles QB is a bust

Brinbe

EDP is so gooooooood.
KuGsj.gif

Also yeah, after Wentz we're not drafting till day 3. Fucking awful.

Pepiope

You know, this trade gives Howie Roseman so much job security. We won't even know if the QB is a bust for at least another two years. Plus you can't get rid of Roseman on the basis of bad draft picks because he doesn't have any.
I guess that's good for Roseman. Can't draft for shit? Trade the picks, problem solved.

Ah well. Like Chip, Howie deserves his shot. Hope he doesn't fuck it up.

Stages of acceptance thus far:

1. WHAT IN THE FUCK IS SASHI, HUE, AND BASEBALL ANALYTICS GUY THINKING?
2. Get me a damn quarterback
3. This is not enough as we need another draft pick
4. DAMN WE FLEECED THE SHIT OUT OF THE EAGLES!
5. *looks at recent draft history*
6. DAMMIT WE GOT FLEECED!!
7. Someone have Goodell get Adam Silver on the phone and help him find a way to veto this trade for "football reason"
8. THIS SHIT BETTER WORK
9. RG3, Josh, and Austin/Connor are our QBs with RG3 starting and Josh backing him up
10. WE DUN FUCKED IT ALL UP.

*These opinions are subject to change if we are successful and the Eagles QB is a bust

You already are successful. Manziel isn't on the team anymore, Gordon's never playing another game, and the Browns actually Won't draft a QB. This is the most positive an offseason's been for the Cleve.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Serious thoughts:

If the Eagles get Wentz, it's a great situation. Like I've said previously, he's going to need some adjustment time and he's going to get it. The Eagles must hit on some talent with their remaining picks, however. They also have to get Algholor to develop and find some more weapons.

effzee

I agree that they could've implemented the same strategy with Chase Daniel alone instead of Bradford and Daniel, but the strategy itself is a sound one. Sure, it's not as easy to do the Favre-to-Rodgers transition when your starting QB isn't Favre and your roster isn't the Packers', but nonetheless, the idea of taking a raw but high upside QB and sitting him for two years behind a veteran QB is smart and forward-thinking. I get why, after Hinkie, the city of Philadelphia would be a little reticent to gamble on a strategy that requires a little vision and patience, but that doesn't mean the strategy isn't without merit.

Does signing Bradford and trading draft picks affect their ability to add talented depth?Sure, but I doubt a 2017 1st and 2018 2nd will make the difference between a Super Bowl win or not. Philadelphia is not in a "the sky is falling" situation. Hit on the draft picks you have, make smart UDFA signings, play the waiver wire game well, and sign veterans to affordable deals in free agency.

Reasonable thinking. I'll eventually come around to it.

Still think one of the two, Bradford or Chase, shouldn't be on the team. I also think they did make decent signings in FA to fill up holes across the team at G, LB, CB, and Safety. Enough that if you get quality QB play, you will win. Quality QB you should be able to get with a healthy line and a running game. So if somehow with the picks remaining they come away with a good RB (to add to Sproles and Mathews) plus pick up more oline depth they should be in position to compete for the division.

I wonder how Bradford feels knowing no matter what happens this season, good or bad, he will be gone next year.

effzee

This is what Chip needed to do last year. Trade the farm away for Mariota and then use that as a reason to give him more time.

Eagles fans what are you more excited about. Pederson and Wentz or what could have been with Chip and Marcus?

Chip ultimately became conservative didn't pull the trigger and now pays for it.

This is what Chip needed to do last year. Trade the farm away for Mariota and then use that as a reason to give him more time.

Eagles fans what are you more excited about. Pederson and Wentz or what could have been with Chip and Marcus?

Chip ultimately became conservative didn't pull the trigger and now pays for it.

I don't think it was the Eagles who wouldn't do that trade, I think it was the Titans.

As for your question, I think it's a wash. Defense under Billy Davis was so bad it offset any good that could have come.

Farooq

Banned
Re-do the mock? Bread better take Tunsil. I don't want to believe Dallas won't go BPA with Tunsil on board and no trade down options.

Pepiope

Pederson/Wentz/Schwartz

Chip/Marcus/Davis would just suck again.

Furyous

I retract my previous response and say thank you Eagles for trading with the Browns. We'll make do with the draft picks and hopefully be okay.

You already are successful. Manziel isn't on the team anymore, Gordon's never playing another game, and the Browns actually Won't draft a QB. This is the most positive an offseason's been for the Cleve.

This is the best news of the offseason as we get team first guys in that actually care about football. My initial response is reactionary and we are drafting a QB but it will be in the later rounds where the risk is a lot less than prior years. Whomever we draft has to actually make the team unlike prior drafted QBs.

That was the saddest EDP video of all time.

That wasn't jokes for show, he wasn't playing it up for the hits.

We just saw a man having a real mental breakdown on video. The Eagles have this man questioning his existence on this Earth.

Roseman: The only way to make this trade is to be comfortable with both of the quarterbacks at the top of the draft.

I frankly just don't see how you can be comfortable with either of them. I feel like it's telling when most of the hype for a player comes after the regular season is over.

Roseman: The only way to make this trade is to be comfortable with both of the quarterbacks at the top of the draft.

Right. Because the Rams could be like, "Yo, Iggles, you wanted Wentz? Ha, motherfuckers, we're drafting him. Still want him? You pick Goff at #2 and we'll swap QBs and you give us your 1st round pick in... holy shit... when do get another one of those?"

Jon

Well, this will either be great and it will be worth the risk...or he will be Blaine Gabbert and it it will be bad.

At least we have the Six...uh...the Phil--...hmmm...the Fly...ummmmm...

Hmm.

Pepiope

The trade isn't that bad. I'm just pissed we kept Bradford of the move was to trade up.

Daniel could've kept the team afloat while Wentz sat behind him.

Ah well. At least Wentz can have a SB before even stepping on the field as the starting QB!

gutshot

I agree that they could've implemented the same strategy with Chase Daniel alone instead of Bradford and Daniel, but the strategy itself is a sound one. Sure, it's not as easy to do the Favre-to-Rodgers transition when your starting QB isn't Favre and your roster isn't the Packers', but nonetheless, the idea of taking a raw but high upside QB and sitting him for two years behind a veteran QB is smart and forward-thinking. I get why, after Hinkie, the city of Philadelphia would be a little reticent to gamble on a strategy that requires a little vision and patience, but that doesn't mean the strategy isn't without merit.

Does signing Bradford and trading draft picks affect their ability to add talented depth?Sure, but I doubt a 2017 1st and 2018 2nd will make the difference between a Super Bowl win or not. Philadelphia is not in a "the sky is falling" situation. Hit on the draft picks you have, make smart UDFA signings, play the waiver wire game well, and sign veterans to affordable deals in free agency.

That's my whole point though. Yes, the strategy is fine. But if you are set on drafting a franchise QB and just need a bridge QB, sign Daniel. If you don't think there are any franchise QBs in the draft and need to take a chance on a free agent, then sign Bradford. Signing both makes no sense, given the trade.

Again, I have no problem with the trade in a vacuum. If they believe in Wentz, great. But in light of this trade up, the Bradford signing just looks like a huge mistake. Best case scenario for the Eagles is, what? That Bradford plays well and you either A.) sign him to a long-term, big-money extension but then you now have no draft picks OR money to use to shore up the rest of your roster; or B.) try to trade him but since everyone knows you are desperate to get rid of him, you are going to get pennies on the dollar. There is no good outcome here.

slabrock

Banned
Hopefully the browns do better with these picks. Don't repeat the Weeden, Greg Little, and Phil Taylor picks from the Julio Jones trade

Top Bottom