• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

bionic77

They got the N64 hooked up at my Chinese resturant.

Dude is a Nintendo fan.
I loved the 32 bit era. Shit was so new and every few months you got to play something that was never seen before.

But I have no intention of ever turning on my N64 or psx ever again. That shit is just unplayable now. At least for me. I normally always want the real deal but for that gen emulate and upres the fuck out of that shit.

Bryce Petty, a second-year quarterback for the New York Jets, believes his football aptitude has improved based on the way he plays Madden.

Yes, really.

"I played Madden the other day, and it's not just picking run plays anymore," Petty told NJ.com Monday at teammate David Harris' charity golf outing. "It's like, 'Oh, they've got an under front [on defense].' You start picking up things differently. That's exciting for me."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...-young-jets-quarterback-via-madden-video-game

I'm not really poking fun at this. Just kind of amused though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Did snesfestival ever check back in? Should we have bionic prepare a lawsuit?

e -

Right above this, of course. Glad you're alive, but disappointed by the lack of monies I would have gotten in the wrongful death suit.

Farooq

Banned
We have heard of SPARQ as a weight adjusted measure of athleticism. Kent Lee Platte has come up with another neat system to compare athleticism, he calls it RAS or Relative Athletic Score.

Pretty neat. http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...hletic-scores-what-they-are-and-why-they-work

Wouldn't it be great if we could just put a number on these measurements that would show the context right in the number? Like you could see a score for a 40-time and know whether it was good or bad for their position? From that simple idea, Relative Athletic Scores was born.

The Scale.

I decided very early on to put it on a 0 to 10 scale. Why 0 to 10? It's a neat little trick used in statistical polling. Give someone a scale of 1 to 10 and they will sometimes confuse what constitutes good. Is a one good or is a 10 good? Am I rating this correctly? Change that scale slightly so it's 0 to 10, and it is inherently understood that zero is bad and thus 10 is good. Using this scale offered that context I wanted to provide. I wouldn't have to worry about whether a score was above or below average anymore. If I saw a guy had a 6.5 out of 10, and 5 is average, then it's obviously above average. Math!

So how does it work? RAS is essentially a ranking system, so it roughly correlates to percentile. While I always say that 5.00 is average, that doesn't quite describe it accurately. A better way to describe that 5.00 middle mark is that it is the score for the average player at that position. Shouldn't that be the same thing as an average, you ask? Why no, no it is not. It's an oddity of studying these measurements so much, but in most cases the actual mathematical average (the mean) tended to be a good deal above what the average player at a position would score. So for instance, a player who had an actually average score may end up with a 7.50 for that measurement. That wasn't what I wanted at all. I used an incredible amount of math to get to the current system, you guys, and I don't mean incredible as in "wow, that's amazing!" but more in the "wow, that's overly complex and cripplingly unexplainable" kind of way. Using the calculations as they are now, we get to see what the average player at a position scored at each measurement (closer to a statistical median than a mean).

AnsahRAS.0.PNG

Now it's pretty simple. The actual numbers correspond loosely to percentile, so a player with a 9.87 score for his 40 time managed to be in about the 98.7th percentile of his position group for that measurement. The final number -- the one we actually refer to as the player's RAS -- is gained by averaging the individual scores for each player at a position. This raw average is then compared to the raw averages for every other player at the position to come up with the final Relative Athletic Score for a player.

It isn't a perfect system, and like the measurements themselves, there are plenty of outliers. What it gives us, though, is a way to put a number on a player's measurements as a whole when compared to several hundred other players at their position over the past 17 years (2000-2016). It's a lot of data and I'm continually adding to it. Adding more data does affect existing scores, but not very much. After adding over 1,500 players this offseason, the biggest change was only about 4%, with most scores being affected by about 1%.

The Weighting.

Because a player may not have completed all measurements, I set the minimum required to calculate a score at six. Why six? I didn't want any particular area to take up more than half of the score. At most, speed takes up about 30 percent of the total score, but if we only had five measurements and three of those were the 40-yard dash and its splits, we would end up with speed covering about 60 percent of the score. That was unacceptable. With a minimum of six, speed can only ever take up half the score, not even that when considering the 10-yard split (more later).

To break it down further, RAS is calculated from 10 different measurements, each of which account for 10 percent of the average. Height and weight make up the size portion, accounting for roughly 20 percet of the score. The 40-yard dash and its splits of 20 and 10 account for speed, about 30 percent of the score. This is slightly misleading because the 10-yard split is also used as a measure for explosiveness. Depending on your leanings in that regard, speed could be considered anywhere between 20 and 30 percent, so let's just call it 25 percent.

Bench is a measurement of upper body strength, which only accounts for 10 percent of the grade. Positions like wide receiver and quarterback rarely even bother with the bench, but we still use it where available until there is something better. Vertical, broad jump, and the aforementioned 10-yard split account for explosiveness. Using the same logic we used for speed, we'll call it 25 percent. The 20-yard shuttle and three-cone drills measure hip and ankle bend and agility, the final 20 percent of the final score. It ends up looking like this:

RAS_Explanation.0.PNG

What makes RAS different than any other measurement, including the ones it represents? Why is it any more useful than just using the base measurements? That answer is what has made me so excited in its application, and also why I can't post the whole gamut online anymore. See, most statistical representations in the NFL, in fact most in general, can be represented on a bell curve. Bell curves show what is known as "Normal Density", and a majority of those measured will tend to fall closer to the average. The further you are from average, the fewer players you will encounter with scores out there. When represented on a table, it gives you that nice bell shape.

Each of the individual scores in RAS, for 40 time, weight, bench press, etc. will also end up on a bell curve when put in chart form. This makes sense since the individual scores are just a different way of looking at the original data. The final RAS, however, does not follow Normal Distribution. Once RAS is calculated fully, the scores are equally distributed from 0 to 10. What that means is that if you have 100 players, you would have 10 from 0-1 RAS, 10 from 1-2, 10 from 2-3 etc. all the way to 9-10. Since it's equally distributed, we can get a much clearer picture of trends since there is no longer a need to account for volume. There will always be exactly the same number of players above 5.00 as there are below 5.00 for any position. So when I say something like "defensive tackles rating 5.00 or above make the pro bowl FIVE TIMES as often as those rated below 5.00," I'm speaking of sample sizes that are equal in volume. It's tough to find in statistics, and it's valuable for football.

Trying to post this on mobile is a bitch.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Step 3) Get blown out of the playoffs by the Cards
Step 4) Tear up betting ticket

The Cardinals aren't going to get a 16 game season out of Carson Palmer like they did last season. It's not happening.

Though the Cardinals are a team that have had the Lions number for whatever reason the last decade.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/detroit-lions/teamvsteam?opp=1

Last seasons game was probably the worst performance I've seen the Lions play since Stafford's 2011 season. It was needed though as it eventually led to the firing of Joe Lombardi and the promotion of Jim Bob Cooterr.

Whenever we play the Cardinals its frustrating watching us lose whether edit was in 2014, 2013 or 2012.

I'm watching the game(s) and I know the Lions are a better team yet the Cardinals still manage to either win a close game or kick the hell out of us.

They're a team we should beat because we have a better roster and QB but they've had our number.

Hell of a coaching staff with Bruce Arians though. Top 5 Coach in the league probably.

We see them in the playoffs this year though and the Lions will have our 2nd playoff win in 50 years

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sexy Rexy Fuck it I'm going deep

10388278066_cca092c634_o.gif

Notice Kris Durham #18 and how his DB goes to cover Megatron. That was our #2 WR from 2012-2014.

bionic77

The Warriors are so stacked.

We haven't seen teams this stacked since the 80s. Those teams were generally stacked on the front court while the Warriors are just loaded with skilled perimeter players.

This should be a fun series if the Thunder can keep their composure.

Spinluck

The Warriors are so stacked.

We haven't seen teams this stacked since the 80s. Those teams were generally stacked on the front court while the Warriors are just loaded with skilled perimeter players.

This should be a fun series if the Thunder can keep their composure.

Go Thunder, Curry love has reached disgusting heights. I love him as a player though, BUT it's time for Bestbrook and Durant to get theirs.

Sorry Cdy.

fuck the sonic

Top Bottom