• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Matthew Stafford in 'complete control' of Lions offense during OTAs

ALLEN PARK — Eric Ebron had a bunch of words to describe Matthew Stafford's performance when the Detroit Lions returned to the practice field this week. But two really stand out.

"Complete control", the tight end said. "My man's been in complete control."

Platitudes of all shapes and sizes are thrown around like Stafford fastballs this time of year, but this one stands out, if for no other reason than TJ Jones used the exact same words a few minutes later.

But Stafford certainly seems to have some kind of control over the Jim Bob Cooter offense.

He had three days of practice in the offense before playing in it for the first time against Kansas City, and the results — really bad — were predictable.

Then he had a bye week to soak everything in, and although that should not have been nearly enough time to pick it up, his game began to spike. He helped Detroit hold on for an elusive win in Green Bay. Then he beat Oakland with a fourth-quarter touchdown. Then he had the best game of his career against Philadelphia, completing 27-of-38 passes for 337 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions.

His passer rating was a career-best 137.8 — which he shattered again three weeks later, hanging an astronomical 148.6 on New Orleans on Monday Night Football.

On, and on, and on.

By the time it was over, Stafford had put together the greatest eight-game stretch by any quarterback in Lions history. He threw 19 touchdowns against just two interceptions, and did it while completing 70 percent of his throws.

"The offense looks good," said Ebron, who did not participate Thursday due to a minor injury. "They were firing on all cylinders. Matt looked great — he's looked great all week man. He's been huge for us. He's our leader and steps up in big ways for us, as far as making sure everyone knows what they're doing."

Perhaps that latter point — his ability to control all the other pieces on the field — is the greatest sign yet of how well Stafford has taken to the offense.

"If you give him kind of a blank stare, he can tell you what to do without hesitation," Jones said. "I think it's really having that half of a season, and a full offseason, and now coming into OTAs, it's given him a lot of time to take complete control."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss..._in_complete_c.html#incart_river_mobile_index

If healthy Stafford is going to have a historically great season. Marvin Jones was a great addition and could be putting up potential Pro Bowl numbers this year. Our offense will probably be 70% pass 30% run. Lots of quick routes Stafford will be able to sling into double coverage. And we have huge advantages in one on one match ups with Theo Riddick, Ameer Abdullah (when he comes back from his shoulder injury), and Eric Ebron combined with out WRs.

bionic77

I am not sure if the Cavs are really any good but this is a amazing half by Bron. He has been a real force on defense (he stopped playing defense like this for a few years now) and he also had a monster offensive half.

Amazing that he has that much energy.

That was worthy of Hakeem (for a 2 way player).

On the the other hand it seems like James is the only one on the Cavs who plays defense. Bad sign for the finals.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just saw Xmen

It was probably my favorite one out of all of them. Not exactly a high bar to set though. Definitely a few really cool moments.

The trailers were way worse than the movie

Matthew Stafford in 'complete control' of Lions offense during OTAs

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss..._in_complete_c.html#incart_river_mobile_index

If healthy Stafford is going to have a historically great season. Marvin Jones was a great addition and could be putting up potential Pro Bowl numbers this year. Our offense will probably be 70% pass 30% run. Lots of quick routes Stafford will be able to sling into double coverage. And we have huge advantages in one on one match ups with Theo Riddick, Ameer Abdullah (when he comes back from his shoulder injury), and Eric Ebron combined with out WRs.

I wasn't posting here last season but I have a feeling many Lions fans said the exact same thing. "Drew Brees offense, second year to learn the system, lots of weapons, what can go wrong?" Didn't work out too well, to put it lightly. I remember those May 2015 reports about Stafford feeling confident in the offense, practicing with his WRs in Atlanta, show amazing Ameer was in OTAs/practice....

The only thing I can say is that I believe the o-line will be better than the disaster of last season. But by how much? I really don't know. The answer to that question will determine how the offense looks.

Munn was great

Didn't think it was my favorite X Men film but absolutely could have been worse and absolutely wasn't the worst comic film of the year (BVS by miles)

Malalaw

Man the weather came out of nowhere today. Started raining its ass off at around 7 and is now just slacking off. Hate driving in rain.

For Greg :mad:)
rs_300x300-160518072545-600.olivia-munn-womens-health-cover.51816.jpg

Bread

Banned
I heard that GotorTech had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, I read about it on CleNN, (Cleveland News Network subsidiary of BGcorps)
Blame spincenter, that dumb network bid $50 million to get Berman from espn. Stocks tanked literally seconds after the news broke.

Top Bottom