• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hindl

John Clayton said on ESPN radio that people connected with the rams are telling him that Wentz will be the pick.

Smokescreen.jpg

I'd be fine with Goff but I don't see that happening. Goff to the Rams and Wentz to the Eagles makes too much sense. Goff is at least somewhat ready to start day one, and Wentz needs to ride the bench and learn the game at the NFL level. They'd be throwing Wentz into the fire in LA

No chance. Its always been Goff. he is more ready to start than Wentz. Not to mention the PR to sell PSL's at that new stadium.

"look at this ginger kid from North Dakota and buy PSL's!"

"Goff is a California native! Follow him for seasons to come! Buy PSL's"

Duxxy3

This might actually be a blessing in disguise for the Pats.

Get to see a preview of a Bradyless future, and see where they need work on first.

We'll probably be more balanced.

Younger receivers will do better with Garoppollo. Brady demands that his receivers read every play just as well as he does. Younger receivers just can't keep up. Jimmy likely won't be as demanding - for better or worse.

We will score fewer points, and have a lot more interceptions.

At best I think we go 2-2 in those first four games.

Good for Sam. They clearly lied to him in the FA process. Not sure why people reflexively take management's side all the time on these things

Roseman: "Sam, here's a two year deal and you're getting 12.5 million dollars in 2016 and 13 million in 2017. Though your dead money hit to our bottom line in 2017 is only 5.5 million dollars making you completely cuttable at that point. It's a prove it deal. You're our guy though. You're our starter. "

*Bradford signs on the dotted line*

*The Eagles move up to the #2 spot to draft their QB of the future*

*Roseman gets on TV*

"Yeah we're going to grab QB. Vanilla or chocalate. We're cool either way. Regardless, Sam Bradford is the Eagles starter in 2016."

Bradford: "WTF!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT! I WAS LIED TO! TRADE ME!"

Give me a break. Why are you so reflexively defending the guy who willfully signed that contract given its structure and walked away believing he was the future? Prove to me where Eagles management guaranteed him they were never going to draft a QB? Were they disingenuous in hedging their future at QB? Sure, but this view that Bradford is some poor jilted flower is such bullshit.

What's Bradford's incentive to play for the Eagles? The Eagles misled him. Teams know his ceiling, and he is prone to injury.

I see zero motivation for him

What's Bradford's incentive to play for the Eagles? The Eagles misled him. Teams know his ceiling, and he is prone to injury.

What teams would he be a day one starter guaranteed if traded? Broncos...9ers....Jets if they don't sign Fitz? I'd give the browns RG3 over Bradford so he wouldn't even start with the Browns. He's better off starting in Philly, hope he has a good enough year to get another pay out next year.

Duxxy3

They'll trade him.

Right now the Eagles just don't want to appear to be the assholes.

A trade makes the most sense for everyone. The problem is finding a willing partner to trade with.

effzee

Roseman: "Sam, here's a two year deal and you're getting 12.5 million dollars in 2016 and 13 million in 2017. Though your dead money hit to our bottom line in 2017 is only 5.5 million dollars making you completely cuttable at that point. It's a prove it deal. You're our guy though. You're our starter. "

*Bradford signs on the dotted line*

*The Eagles move up to the #2 spot to draft their QB of the future*

*Roseman gets on TV*

"Yeah we're going to grab QB. Vanilla or chocalate. We're cool either way. Regardless, Sam Bradford is the Eagles starter in 2016."

Bradford: "WTF!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT! I WAS LIED TO! TRADE ME!"

Give me a break. Why are you so reflexively defending the guy who willfully signed that contract given its structure and walked away believing he was the future? Prove to me where Eagles management guaranteed him they were never going to draft a QB? Were they disingenuous in hedging their future at QB? Sure, but this view that Bradford is some poor jilted flower is such bullshit.

Kind of makes it harder for Sam to "prove it" when the resources which could have been used to surround him with better talent are traded away for a future QB.

I think Sam and his agent knew it was at best a 2 year deal but essentially 1 year prove it deal. But as I said in my previous post, now with what they have given up and by taking a QB at 2, there is no way NO MATTER how Sam plays this season, that Bradford is back next year.

Eagles won't be able to recoup any of the picks they have already given up so even if Sam lights it up, he will be moved in 17. I think that's what probably upset him.

Fox318

He is getting paid.

His motivation is and always was money.

Dude will have made millions based only on his height and the school he got a free ride to play at.

gutshot

Sammy_picket.width-800.png

I'd be fine with Goff but I don't see that happening. Goff to the Rams and Wentz to the Eagles makes too much sense. Goff is at least somewhat ready to start day one, and Wentz needs to ride the bench and learn the game at the NFL level. They'd be throwing Wentz into the fire in LA

The funny thing about this is that Wentz is two years older than Goff. A QB at 23 years old who is as raw as some describe Wentz as being has got to be a little worrisome.

Fantomex

No chance. Its always been Goff. he is more ready to start than Wentz. Not to mention the PR to sell PSL's at that new stadium.

"look at this ginger kid from North Dakota and buy PSL's!"

"Goff is a California native! Follow him for seasons to come! Buy PSL's"

NYgeFBY.gif

This guy gets it. ESPN is in on the shenanigans to muddy the waters on the #1 pick.

effzee

If Sam lights it up then you just move Wentz. Now we're gonna trot out Daniel and Wentz will take over late in the season :(

No.

They essentially gave up this years 3rd, 4th, next years 1st, and 2018's 2nd round pick for Wentz.

Even if Sam has an amazing year and they want to keep him long term, they will never get equal value back for Wentz. At best next year a team might want to offer a 3rd round pick for a 2nd year QB with zero experience who was already raw coming out of college.

Eagles will have squandered all those draft picks for something like a 3rd in return.

I think the Eagles know and Sam now realizes, no matter how he plays, he isn't back next year. At least if he lights it up, the Eagles could get great offers for him.

Hindl

The funny thing about this is that Wentz is two years older than Goff. A QB at 23 years old who is as raw as some describe Wentz as being has got to be a little worrisome.

Well yeah definitely. Add in that assuming things go as planned, he probably wouldn't start until he's 25. A lot of his rawness is due to his limited play time. He was stuck behind a QB that got their team 3 championships. Then, he played for two seasons, one of which he sat out for 8 weeks due to injury. He's got the measurables and intangibles you want in a QB, but he simply hasn't gotten a lot of play time, and it shows in his game. He's a leader, is smart, and loves football, so the hope is that he can develop. But he's got plenty of question marks due to how little he's played

Eagles won't be able to recoup any of the picks they have already given up so even if Sam lights it up, he will be moved in 17. I think that's what probably upset him.
Sure. I'm actually OK with Bradford wanting to be moved. As mentioned, there's really not much motivation for him to play for the Eagles given how things have played out. Though I would agree with the person who said that he likely has a better shot of starting with the Eagles this year and "proving it" than if he is moved to another team so there's that to consider.

What I find problematic is this view that he was doe eyed enough to think the Eagles weren't looking at all options given what was on the table contract wise. Suddenly the Eagles are the evil empire for moving in the direction of securing what they feel is a franchise QB? (whether or not you agree with the move or that Wentz/Goff are those guys). Ehhh, lets put the brakes on that for a second. It feels dirty to be put into a position to defend the Eagles front office here but well, it's a business as cliche as that is to say.

Where Roseman should get knocked is in tying up 30 million dollars and a ton of draft picks in quarterbacks when the team has obvious needs but then it hasn't prevented him from getting contracts in place for some young players he wanted to wrap up, either. So there's that to consider.

:jnc That's good stuff.

effzee

Sure. I'm actually OK with Bradford wanting to be moved. As mentioned, there's really not much motivation for him to play for the Eagles given how things have played out. Though I would agree with the person who said that he likely has a better shot of starting with the Eagles this year and "proving it" than if he is moved to another team so there's that to consider.

What I find problematic is this view that he was doe eyed enough to think the Eagles weren't looking at all options given what was on the table contract wise. Suddenly the Eagles are the evil empire for moving in the direction of securing what they feel is a franchise QB? (whether or not you agree with the move or that Wentz/Goff are those guys). Ehhh, lets put the brakes on that for a second. It feels dirty to be put into a position to defend the Eagles front office here but well, it's a business as cliche as that is to say.

Where Roseman should get knocked is in tying up 30 million dollars and a ton of draft picks in quarterbacks when the team has obvious needs but then it hasn't prevented him from getting contracts in place for some young players he wanted to wrap up, either. So there's that to consider.

Cox isn't extended yet. And you have to extend Cox whenever you have a great Cox you must extend.

Plus the money they "wasted" on Bradford could have better used in signing talent at other spots. Could have also cut Peters or some other vets who want to play for a team still competing in 16.

Cox isn't extended yet. And you have to extend Cox whenever you have a great Cox you must extend.

Plus the money they "wasted" on Bradford could have better used in signing talent at other spots. Could have also cut Peters or some other vets who want to play for a team still competing in 16.
They have about 9 million in cap space right now, I believe and they can generate more before the '17 season. Mroe than enough to get Cox under contract considering he's still under contract through the 2016 season.

Second part, I don't disagree on. As I said, he absolutely should be knocked for allotting so much of the cap at one position.

effzee

They have about 9 million in cap space right now, I believe and they can generate more before the '17 season. Mroe than enough to get Cox under contract considering he's still under contract through the 2016 season.

Second part, I don't disagree on. As I said, he absolutely should be knocked for allotting so much of the cap at one position.

Yeah that's my main complain though I think he had no idea he would be able to move up to #2 or like Wentz as much as he does.

And I bet a part of it is showing up Chip.

Hindl

I'll agree with the money used on Bradford could've gone to stuff like guards and RBs, but Cox has no reason to sign right now. He'll be under contract until at least the end of 2017 once you factor in the franchise tag. And I assume Peters, along with Barwin, Mathews and Sproles, will be cut next year to free up space

While that's true, at the time they were getting a deal set with Bradford, they had no idea they'd be moving up to #2 for Wentz. This is definitely a case of having your cake and eating it too, because once they knew they were going to close on the #2 pick they had to be face-palming about the Bradford deal.

In the end, they tried to cover all their bases and were unbelievably successful in doing so, and now find themselves in a bind with too many QBs.

The big issue is that no one else who needs a QB believes Bradford is worth very much. The Jets could snag Fitz for less money. They are essentially the same QB, though Fitz is older. The 9ers already have two mediocre QBs, so why trade for a 3rd? And the Broncos 1, surely don't want to be seen as taking all the Eagles' 7-9 QB castoffs; and 2, don't have the fundage for Bradford either.

That doesn't really leave anywhere else for him to land. And while Eagles-GAF will tell us that he played great in the 2nd half, that's like saying "my career .230 hitter batted .275 over part of the season; he's gone from mediocre to amazing!" Nobody... other than Pep and YH ... believe that Bradford has it in him to continue playing really good football consistently over 16 games.

Nobody believes that.

He's going to wind up as a backup somewhere, for a lot less money.

Top Bottom